Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Depends on if you'd rather work in the heat, or sleep in the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Too bad the five ton is broken, that would make a good heavy equipment delivery vehicle. Hope you have a giant loving gantry crane on both the from and to ends!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the spyder posted:

:effort:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4456320184.html

We still may check it out, it's super clean for the PNW.

That's a pretty funny lookin' XJ it's a TJ :ssh:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beach Bum posted:

This isn't even his truck; he's just going to do it to everyone. People are going to go out in the morning and discover their Prius is now a 6 cylinder.

The guys who have swapped Wagoneer 360s into their CJs are gonna be pissed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

QuarkMartial posted:

No idea which it is exactly, but I've always heard the Ford L6 that's in like their 84 F150s is pretty bulletproof.

That would be the 300.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

the drat truck was left with the hood latched, doors locked, and the keys are 300 miles away, so it's not like I could have actually gotten started on the swap anyways. Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4kYwUezn0&t=12s

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

I think the lyrics to Rape Me are more appropriate

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Haha how is that even worth it. Buy a clean ranger for like $2k instead of wasting 48 man-hours on a POS for someone who doesn't respect your work. And it's still a rusty pile with a junkyard motor when you're done.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god. I can't believe I'm so excited about a vehicle that someone else is buying. WHAT IS IT.

Well, we know it has cargo space, and it has front CVs so it's not a solid axle truck. And it's like what 14" and chrisgt have presently. So, something japanese, and probably a wagon?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

And also has a rear driveshaft and diff (so AWD) that "won't go bad" (so not an AWD Mazda :v:).

WRX?

Actually, thinking about it, maybe it's a Brat. It's different enough that it would be notable that there was one in a junkyard that he had to stop for.

bobbilljim posted:

I'm hoping it's a Lada

I don't think a Niva has enough room to carry 4 extra wheels & tires along with a complete spare drivetrain.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

P38 range rovers, Discovery IIs and WJ grand cherokees Limiteds (or whatever AWD ) have CV fronts with solid axles.

Hm alright. I've never seen that, but I guess I am only even passingly familiar with front D44s.

Still, from the quote "the front driveline (CVs, wheel bearings, knuckles)" it doesn't sound like he means CV axleshafts in a larger solid axle, or he would just grab the whole front axle.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny any of this.

I guess that means we're right, then. Or at least close enough that shooting down ideas like you were before would narrow things down too much.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Well that was unexpected. I guess I overestimated the amount of space you would need to fit an entire drivetrain, tools, and four wheels and tires. When everything has a maximum dimension of 13" I guess it's not too hard. Now I see what you mean by comparing it to Dr. Dick's Civic.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Honda B (90+ Integra, 99-00 Civic Si) and D (88-05 Civic) series engines do the same. Probably F (90-02 Accord) and H (92+ Prelude) as well, since they're from the same time period.

IIRC, the Mopar 2.2 / 2.5 in the K-cars is the same.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Unless it's a V8 swap into one of the MJs, because I'm standing by with an open text document waiting to take notes.

Don't the AMC V8s and the AMC I6s have the same engine mounts on one side, and just a different sized one on the other side? Plus, I think they're the same bellhousing pattern.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Isn't the GM TBI a pretty common swap on those? That aside, what's wrong with a carburetor or two? Hotrod it out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh come on. I'm an EE nerdlinger too; not everything has to be high tech. Dual 4-barrel Holleys have their own attraction. Side dump exhaust, bugcatcher.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was at the junkyard today and saw an '88 FWD Justy. I don't suppose you need anything that's easy to ship, do you?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Justy stuff left to do:
Finish designing ECU PCB and sourcing drivetrain upgrade parts

Did I miss something? What's going on there?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Digikey sells suspension parts?

Or is this a case of them stocking rubber bits for some electronics application, and you happen to know one is exactly the right size?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess Rockauto and Digikey are basically the same, anyway. Tons of selection, super low prices, but often frustratingly expensive and slow shipping.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coredump posted:

Some redneck magicians used a v drive? I don't even know what that is. http://youtu.be/Ch3goxzxbWU

It's the thing boats use to point the engine's output down to the propeller, and I suspect that's what's going into Stubby Bob as teased in the next Roadkill.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

the splitphase-plus-a-120°-leg motor kind

this is nasty, didnt know that was a thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Between the 3" catless exhaust, complete lack of carpet, sound dampening, vapor barrier on the doors, or door cards or functional door seals, the brow on the cab, and, well, basically everything else, it was easily the loudest piece of poo poo I've ever driven aside from the 5 ton. I'd rate it somewhere between "bicycle at 50mph downhill" and "re-entering the atmosphere on the space shuttle". I'm fairly certain it hastened my already bad wide spectrum hearing loss, my tinnitus has been off the hook since then. Whoops. I wish I'd realized how harsh it was going to be, would have either packed earplugs or spent more time on reducing NVH before leaving. The downsides of only putting 150-200ish miles on a vehicle in 25 mile increments before taking it out on the highway for a 3000 mile hell march...

yikes, dude. i cant handle the high pitched wind noise in my old vehicles that are mostly complete, i can imagine how bad that was. definitely get in the habit of keeping stashes of earplugs around if you're going to continue driving it on the freeway. does it still have an ashtray?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

those appear to be aluminum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
holy poo poo dude, i am in awe of your ability to achieve so much. i am capable of either going to work or accomplishing one (1) task per day, if i burn all my mental energy on it. this is literal superhero poo poo. props.