Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just get some red tape and put a red cross on one of the doors.

:haw: I'M A VOLUNTEER, OFFICER. NEED A TOW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You shot the wrong pit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, you could get one like this:

or one like this:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm getting a free 2.2L legacy wagon with a blown auto. 5MT swap it and get high 20s all day 'erry day?

How do you get a free Subaru? How can I get free Subarus?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, that just sounds like an old utility diesel engine getting back on its feet after a few months of downtime.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like how the new Toilet Jeep (apparently) has a better place to live and have open heart surgery done than the previous one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congrats on getting rid of that NV2500. I can't believe how sought-after and valuable they are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd suggest drones, but Ken will probably actually build one if I do.

Then someone will get killed by a falling AX15.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

If I work on stuff at work I am pretty screwed too since that means by definition I only have one vehicle with me, since I can't drive two at once to get them both there. I could bug a coworker to give me a ride, but I am self sufficient nearly to a fault so I typically just figure something out myself (like walking) instead unless it is a true emergency.

Just leave an extra car at work, duh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is that your desk at work that you're dismantling shift forks on?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is it possible that that one bolt is different because of balance issues?

I know on the 4G63 that Mitsubishi tried to balance out loads across the bellhousing by having two bolts on one side and a bunch on the other, and if you miss a bolt on the two-bolt side (which is easy because it's in an awful location), things get hosed up from the clutch trying to pop the tranny off against the crank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8iCN7H7DY

Jump to 12:00ish, but 13:00ish has a good view of the balance concerns.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is it true that Building 19 no longer exists? I only knew of it through goon threads but now I feel strangely empty at news of its passing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen guys swap the Audi TT Quattro drivetrain into a Mk1 Rabbit before, how hard could it possibly be to make a turbo Caddy with the bone-crushing 200 ft-lb of torque that VW apologists love?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can you in fact go topless with that thing?

5mpg is more than I expected. That's practically smokemap Ram territory. Don't forget the GoPro if you can get it plated, especially if you drive it to the registry and get the desk jockey to come out and look.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 11, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Fun fact: Slung Blade actually won a slowest tractor race, destroying a guy who had the last few years of wins under his belt.

That transmission is absurd and will go perfectly with the five ton. Like washing down an entire cow worth of steak with a keg.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
No PTO? What if you want to run a snow cone machine?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Means you have a collectors' item now!

Also, extremely cheap parts availability.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Good lord man. I don't want to know what a burning can of brakleen smells like.

Someone should turn that part of the video into a GIF so we can make it the title of AI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man this engine is going to be amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Piston slap on my old EJ22 would only shut up in certain circumstances and only once I started running 5W40 Rotella.

The current EJ25 is such a cavalcade of broken cats, leaky exhaust gaskets, loose mounts and (probably) rod knock that it would be impossible to tell the engine's health from sound alone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If it could be done cheaply enough, probably would help a little if you swapped the 4.11 trans and rear diff out for a 3.9 like in the Impreza TS as well.

Low rolling resistance tires also helped me but man it was hard to preserve inertia on corners.

I thought EJ25D and EJ22 injectors were the same part number but I don't know for EJ251 heads so it may well be bigger on that car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hell, it might not be a bad idea to chuck an LC-1 in there and actually see how it's running. I'm willing to bet it's pretty close to factory.

Expense it at work and borrow it for a weekend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

ahahaha

CRV Rav4 whatever close enough

I'm pretty convinced Hondas and Toyotas are the same cars with a body kit on and we just haven't noticed yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've had a bunch of cars with super sketchy battery cables, so it's nice to see that it's actually not too hard to do. Do you need a special crimper for the terminals or can you just use a lovely parts store one?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Crimpin' ain't easy, I guess. I'll probably just get precrimped from PA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

I'm just here to post this photo to make kastein hurt.

Sorry buddy. All the torx bolts came right out to replace the tail light bulb.

What's all the blue poo poo?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This guy probably spent too much money doing it, but man I really like putting a tiny OLED with an OBD2-reading microcontroller into a digital clock: http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-OBD-II-Gauge-in-With-OEM-Look/?ALLSTEPS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
JECO made a lot of the clocks for old Datsuns/Nissans so I'm not too surprised the relationship continued to 90s Subaru. That thing is awesome inside, I love how the pins are even silkscreen-labelled in Japanese.

I got into the TinyScreen Kickstarter and I wonder what the 25.8mm x 25.0mm colour OLED can replace in my dash.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 29, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How bent from straight is your middle finger?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Highlander parts bolt into a camry, and make it awd. and lifted.

Hold the loving phone why did this not occur to me until right now

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Swap the plug wires between #3 and #1. Read the plugs too if you get a chance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Coils were the first thing that came to mind myself. One right on the edge of failing will still work once it gets warmed up a bit... for awhile.

If the coil packs are identical, swap them. See if your misfire moves to #3 and #4. (it will)

Only one coilpack on a lot of NA (and some turbo) Subarus - it's wasted spark. Mine started producing pervasive #1 misfire codes in the damp when it was on its way out.

I looked at a 98 Impreza that "wouldn't run" that was the #1 sparkplug wire having burned up internally and arcing gloriously across the coilpack terminal when prodded with advanced enough timing. Swapping the #1 wire to #3 made it gently caress up late enough in the sequence that the car could run (roughly) and almost idle (until it tried to advance the ignition again, then it would arc, stumble and retard back to the 'safe' pattern). That's why I suggested changing out the wires - to see if the misfire pattern changes and nails down for sure if it's the wires or pack. The coilpack was probably not too healthy after a few years of that as the #1 terminal was scorched black.

You can convert to an MSD coil from a Neon if you want a little more beef from a wasted spark ignition system on an EJ22/EJ25D/EJ251/EJ253.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 16, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The V6s in Rangers are just a dogshit engine. If your dad is gonna keep pounding on those things he should've gone with a 2.3.

Going to guess the rings are turbofucked and at least one of the bores has had its rear end in a top hat torn out.

edit: If you inexplicably bought another 3.0L V6, replace the cam synchronizer shaft while it's out of the car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 12, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Are the studs poking out at all or they broken off flush?

I'm always reminded of the denmah video of the snap on stud tool which looks like it makes miracles happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

Holy poo poo this must be what a religious miracle is like for people who can still feel authentic joy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ranger, ranger, high voltage! When the oil pump shaft touches, when the cam synchronizer bearing and the race kiss!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Kendad sorta looks like Tim Robbins in Antitrust.

Slow is Fast posted:

OF COURSE THE loving TAKE ONE WHEN IM TAKING OF MY SWEATSHIRT GOD drat IT

Just one? :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Would you use CLR for a coolant flush like that again, or would it just be cheaper to throw gallons of vinegar at the problem?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's finally here! It's going to happen!!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ken: a one man AI diaspora. He's like a couch surfer but with Jeeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Soon ken is going to become the Subaru Whisperer

He couldn't stay away forever.