Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I can get them all day long for $130 at my local pull-a-part, or at a yard 15-20 miles from work that will let me pull my own parts $50 or pull them for me for $10 each, so figure $60 because their yard is the "stack em high in a foot of mud and let chaos reign" type.

And they usually go for $50 each on the local club forums.

I call it the rust tax... you guys have dozens of rust free clean chassis around, I can't find one to save my life. On the other hand, I have pick of the litter for pocket change when it comes to drivetrain parts out of rotted hulks in the boneyard. Engines are $180, transmissions/transfer cases/differentials $100-130 depending on what's on sale.

There are always half a dozen Chevy LM7 5.3L donors with completely unmolested drivetrains in the boneyard, too. A friend of mine wanted one, I tipped him off and he got a complete engine, all accessories and wiring, ECU, and transmission for $370 out the door as I recall.

:stare: I need to rent a u-haul and come visit so I can fill that sucker up with cheap drivetrain swaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
edit: :monocle: holy poo poo!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You don't know how lucky you are. There is one (1) junkyard here that lets you pull your own parts. That's it. I think there are one or two more like 3+ hours away but last I heard they no longer let you pull your own.

Same, there's a yard about 45 minutes from me, buried way back in the woods (I get lost every single time I go, always make the same wrong turn :downs:) that lets you crawl all over their stuff but they rarely have the vehicle I'm looking for. The next closest self-service junkyard is a U-Pull-It that's almost 2 hours away that I've been wanting to go to for years but :effort:

The closest junkyard to me doesn't let you pull your parts and they charge outrageous prices for everything, like maybe 25% less than what new poo poo would cost. They also always have this...attitude about them. I assume it's because I only ever want import/euro parts, and most of their regulars are ignorant beer-bellied hicks with rusty old F-150s. gently caress them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Loved the video. Favorite bit was around 6:30; *flips wheel/tire over* *KLANG!* ... *lifts up wheel/tire to check for damage*. Also all of the off-camera swearing, sounds exactly like when I work on stuff.

Also, I do the exact same lug-nut torquing method when an actual torque-wrench isn't available. Never had an issue with it yet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of fenders...

You are the most likely person to find something weird, especially in that new wonderland yard you just found, so I have a question: if you find any Toyota Celica (specifically GT-S liftbacks) made from 86-89 during a 'yard crawl, would it be too much to ask for you to grab me some fenders (and maybe some other bits)? I'll reimburse you for your trouble/cost, obviously. There are none in any of the yards near me and they are unfortunately trim-level-specific parts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Yeah, anything that old rotted the gently caress out a decade ago, unfortunately. Even the stuff in those pictures is pretty horribly rotted, there was a Z car for instance that I could have stuffed a 35 gallon trash can through the passenger floorboard/subframe on... sideways.

:stonk: Goddamn

I forgot that cars in your area spend their whole lives in an acid bath. Still, if you find any from those years I could use some other parts that are plastic and unlikely to rot due to salt. The Sun, however, can gently caress off, I've already replaced the dash.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I cannot wait to see the moth-motor in it's new home.

Also

iForge posted:

God drat, parties at Kastein's place look so loving fun.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hold the loving phone why did this not occur to me until right now

Yeah, I'm hella disappointed in myself for not realizing this beforehand.

Lifted AWD V6 beige camry, hollaaa

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Veeb0rg posted:

If you get to the MD/VA area, First drink is on me.

No, me :D

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Subaru can get hosed for using weirdo ujoints I have to order from some weird site on the internet instead of buying at the parts store. Rearmost ujoint in my driveshaft just shuffled off this mortal coil.

At least you managed to find a site selling just the u-joints. I didn't when mine went out and had to buy the entire driveshaft, at $400~ before shipping. Fuckin' Subaru...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I heard he found one of those old ICBM carriers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A stolen shopping cart.

It was public domain :colbert:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 24, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Yeah it worked great up till this storm but have you ever seen how happy a dog in snow is? Worth it.

Also don't you have like 3 feet of snow right now? :v:

lol that poo poo all melted to negligible levels within 4 days.

Can confirm dog in snow is a great thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

Just do what TerribleRobot does and remorselessly drive it with a knock for another 20k miles

Without changing the oil or filter for that long as well (it doesn't even burn oil fast enough to call it a rotating oil change. poo poo's blacker than pitch). Coming up on 27k miles of knocking, still gets me to work at 80+ mph every day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NitroSpazzz posted:

:aaaaa: Anything other than a Jeep I6 and it would never run again, drat. poo poo our stupid car hit 220 and never ran again

My C70 doesn't even cut the radiator fan on until the ECT reaches 225, which scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it creeping above 223 on Torque and nothing was happening. New cars run hot as poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

Extra surface area :haw:

Dammit, I was going to make this joke :v:

I once pad slapped a set of rotors that were so bad when I went back to do the job right a month later the new pads looked like Ruffles potato chips.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If I can find out which yard my friend's XJ Wagoneer package ended up after she rolled it last month (She's fine, but rip cool old XJ) I'll see if I can get the bezel out of it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I meant to ask you what the deal with the kingpins was on snapchat and then forgot, that's a seriously cool trick I'll have to file away for later use.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Dash weed pocket

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Fermented Tinal posted:

Come back Ken, we miss you.

cursedshitbox posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Fuuuuuck YESSS!

'grats on getting it running and driving dude, can't wait to see what you get up to with it.