Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Now you need to build a CO2 laser that runs off those caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

GrantC posted:

That sounds like a normal (happy) N/A Subaru to me... Ticking injectors, noisy headers, maybe some piston slap.

Subaru Rod knock has a sharp clear sound.

I've been standing next to a couple Subaru's that have kicked the bucket at AutoX and TimeAttack.

Wow, it's very kind of Subaru to make an engine which so clearly telegraphs when its knocking instead of making you guess at it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So instead of lighting things on fire in Kastein's backyard the party would consist of lighting things on fire whilst driving down unimproved dirt roads in the back of ex-military trucks.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Passed a place called Ken's Auto Salvage in NH today, their sign was in the shape of a jeep grille. Are you sure you don't own a salvage yard?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Happy to help, I hate seeing useful things get thrown away like that, even if they need a bit of work.

In other news we got our new automated video measuring machine up and running today and it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_LX_DKG8-Q

The smaller machine (not the bridge-type one) with the rotary device and touch probe is the one we got.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It has 12" x 12" x 6" travel, accurate to ±.00007" in X and Y and ±.0001" in Z.

I don't mind working long hours when I have this thing to play with.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Enourmo posted:

If you start with a whole Justy, buy half of one, then buy half of the remaining part, etc, will you ever reach two complete running Justy?

Kastein, half-Justy warboy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I am not joking when I say there is enough to build a jeep or two here. This is why I am usually the one who fields the inevitable "help it is 8pm and I need spare parts" calls.

Well there's your market. Ken's emergency jeep parts. Delivered anywhere, any time, no cliff too steep, no ditch too deep. But it'll cost ya.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Wow, that's a terrible website. I expected worse, tbh.

I sure do love me a website with loud, unmutable sound effects.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I got the studded Winterforces I bought for the Forester last winter mounted and put them on it...

I'm a little concerned about the weather lately. I put my winter tires on two weeks ago because my summer tires were dangerously bare, and now it's freakin 60 degrees out. In the middle of December. What the gently caress weather?

Now I have to worry about my winter tires wearing too much. Great.

Edit: Now look what you've done!

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 16, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Nice(r) weather is on the way. I'm thinking the 5 ton may be first on the list because I want the bridgeport untarped and moved into the basement, which is best accomplished (i.e. only possible to accomplish) using a reanimated military truck.

Also because I already own all the parts it needs (I think...) and it's been nearly two years since I touched it :sigh:

When you get to that stage I wouldn't mind coming to offer assistance with that project. I hope the poor thing has survived the past two winters.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Glad to see you got that thing indoors. I'll be interested to see what you find when you tear it apart as the only thing I heard was something's wrong with the head gearing. Hopefully standard Bridgeport parts work. It's a clone, but I don't know if that means it's identical, or just similar enough to screw you in minor ways if you try using Bridgeport parts.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

With a tower like that and an antenna tuned for the ham bands you could probably pick up railroad transmissions across half the state, or at least from most of the CSX Boston line,with NECR and some P&W thrown in. The railroad bands are right next to some of the ham bands.

Portable ham radios work better than most wide band scanners if all you care about is the RR bands, since their tuners have a narrower range and are therefore more sensitive within that range. I use a ham radio as a scanner now, so if I press the wrong button on it I'm breaking the law. :cop:

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 3, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ken, when you register the 5 ton you need to see if this is still available.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Rescuscitated the white MJ just long enough to trundle it into the yard (it was parked nosedown in the woods off the driveway/private road), where it will next be used as a 4x4 hoist/wrecker to rip the red toilet jeep and half-justy apart to stash/use their parts. After that it goes into hibernation until it is time to build the next MJ and my semisecret project.

Even with 3 completely flat tires it was perfectly happy to drive into the yard after being jumped, because the battery was 100% dead from sitting.

Can't decide if I should fix/build the Justy, the blue MJ, or the 5 ton next. All parts for the 5 ton's resurrection are on hand so I may do that just so it runs and drives again for now. This weekend I am in NYC with the GF and her parents though, so no wrenching till Tuesday most likely.

How long before the 5 ton passes the 25 year mark so you can register it? If it's getting close I'd say get that beast up and running.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Honcho is gorgeous, dents, holes and all.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The reason they wanted almost nothing for the tube is another customer bought a number of segments cut to length and that was the remaining piece. They paid for the whole tube off the previous customer's order. What you gave them was just gravy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On a related note we recently needed to order material for a job which has been running from stock since the beginning of time. The part is made from a thin copper tube and it turns out the minimum material buy is 3000 ft. With the size of the parts and the customer's average order quantity the material will last us 99.5 years and the margins on the parts will pay off all 3000 feet in the first year.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Instant rally car, just add highway somnia.

Seriously though, glad you're ok.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I think the shudder is the clutch pack for whatever gear I'm abusing going from slipping to grabbing very suddenly (because what happens is I give it more throttle, it downshifts, rpms flare, I wince and back off so I don't glass the entire clutch pack, it grabs and shudders as the engine speed gets in line with the road speed and gear selection) but yeah, hopefully new fluid will help.

Hell, the guy replaced the radiator and I don't even know if he lost a lot of fluid and didn't refill it.

Speaking as someone who had something very similar happen to an auto trans, it may help a little, for a little while, but ultimately poo poo is hosed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think he's said in the past that it gets around the 5-7 mpg range. So not nearly $9k in fuel. Not cheap though.

Edit: The bigger expense might be tires, as I believe the sorts of tires that thing uses aren't really meant for heavy on-road use.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You'll probably get substantially better tire life out of semi tires, the right tires for those trucks don't last on the highway.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 14, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ziptie it to the front of the 5ton.

Nah, modify the 5 ton to look like the truck from Sorcerer.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On the subject of electric power steering, my car has it as well as an AGM battery. I haven't had a car with an AGM battery before and found out the hard way that it's easy to over discharge them and when you do they behave strangely. Basically it would seem like my battery was dead, I'd jump the car and it would be fine for a while, then start having issues again. Once they're over discharged the alternator has trouble getting them back to a full charge so you have to use an external charger to restore them.

This happened to occur while I was on the other side of the state for Christmas so I couldn't immediately do anything about it. The side effect was that I could keep the car running off the alternator but at low speeds the power steering drew too much and would cut out, causing voltage drop and playing hell with all the other electronics.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hell yeah.

On another note I've realized I've reached a point where I can recognize STR's posts without looking at the username/avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

loving bad rear end.