Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Until I find a way to retrieve it, yes.

This is likely to involve me bribing someone with a significant amount of beer/gas money to drive me out there, because I can do some things, but driving two cars at once isn't among them :haw:

Where in N.Y.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Ballston area. Maybe half an hour north of Albany.

Oh, I completely forgot somehow. OSP, that book might be useful to me, but it'll be a loooooooooooooong time before I get as far as airframe stuff.

Este, yeah, dragged a Subaru engine to NY, stuck it in a Subaru and drove it home.

Sorry, that's not on my (and my wife's) way to a wedding in two weeks. Then again, I'm not sure if letting you meet my wife is a good thing or not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

2ga is going to be stretching things a bit. I usually go with 4ga and the "00" dies for the crimper work perfectly, maybe even a little tight depending on the lugs I purchased that time around. If you have access to a mill, just take the set of dies you're least likely to use (I'd guess the smallest set, they would fit great on like a 20ga crimp and that's what a ratchet crimper is for, no need for hydro) and mill them out to the proper dimensions for #2 lugs and wire.

I just clamped them together in my drill press vise and drilled them out. I also converted one to a hex-die for doing PowerPole connectors by drilling/filing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Alarbus posted:

http://www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com is near me, I'm guessing his income is both flipping repaired Jeeps, and doing custom work? NEAI should do a site visit to compare spare parts collections.

Wow, that's a terrible website. I expected worse, tbh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

brb loading sandblaster with salt

Sounds like you work for the MADOT plow crew.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Just tried the snowblower tractor out. Never been so pissed in my life.

0 out of 10.

I bought a set of chains for it and put them on a few nights ago. Today tried to clear the road and it was the most useless goddamn thing ever.

No traction, even with the diff locked and chains, it would spin tires and sink in going up any sort of hill, or when turning. Needs the snow tires for sure, guess I have to figure out a spacer arrangement now.

Snowblower is... pathetic. And plugs up every 30 seconds. Needs a smaller driven pulley I think, and a fluidfilm treatment so it stops loving plugging.

So basically it doesn't throw snow effectively, drive effectively, or work in any useful way. God drat it.

I was having trouble with my blower this storm too, the 1" of heavy-rear end slush kept sticking to the chute and making it slowly shoot lower and lower. Awful-sauce.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
And doing a little mod helps too. Bolt on some rubber conveyor belting to each impeller blade, it makes a huge difference.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

By "fluidfilm" treatment, do you mean spraying something like the Kroil all over the inside of the chute and blades? Because this is what we did in the army and it worked surprisingly well (which means it definitely wasn't an army invention).

He means Fluid Film.

It's made of sheeps!

http://www.fluid-film.com/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
There might be a GM motor in VA...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Good loving riddance. I hope it gets melted down into the next Trump tower.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow

It's an 89, 360, 4x4, automatic. TF727 trans, NP229 full-time viscous clutch 4x4. It has rust, mold, and PO fuckery to fix, but otherwise seems solid. Worst case, it'll be a parts donor for a nicer one later after Britt drives it for a few winters. She needs a winter driver that can handle our driveway and won't make me feel bad about getting salt blasted like her rust free Roadmaster.

PO fuckery:

Gonna go over this one with a fine tooth comb.

:lol:
Yup, that's a HEEP. Good luck with the un-fuckery! The short, hat, and ironic fish-hook make that dude's outfit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Give me a big enough lever, I'll move the world.

And hydraulics, those help too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You casually mentioned a 24V Cummins... Hardly a casual purchase. What'd that run you?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Five hundred bucks. Mostly complete. The reason it's so cheap is the seller claimed he got it in trade for a turbo and had no idea what was inside. It might be blown up, it might be good. I rolled the dice on it and figured I can part it out for a couple hundred after using it for mockup if it turns out to be junk.

Cummins engines rarely sell for under a grand unless they're unknown or bad, figured I couldn't lose too badly.

If it's only mildly blown up, the block and head are easily worth that much. Cp3 or 4?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I have no idea actually :v:. What's the difference?

Edit: this is a 53 block (uncracked as far as I can tell) with a vp44 pump, no cp3 or cp4 for me.

Thanks. I burn through about a hundred cutoff wheels a year so I get way way way too much practice. The drat knuckle kept tipping over on the shop floor or it would have looked nicer actually, but I didn't really care because it's going in the scrap bin. Just wanted to get as close as I could to the surface without cutting into the knuckle.

Ah. That's too bad, because the P-pump was good, and the CP3 was good. The VP44 wasn't. It doesn't like ULSD fuel, and can't handle air in the fuel at ALL. It might be worth installing it to make sure the motor runs, then switch to CP3. Or install a good lift pump to make sure it never goes dry.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 1, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Glad you're OK.

I gave up on driving tired a few years ago. I'll just pull over and catch 15 minutes of sleep if I'm starting to get "there". I've had a bunch of close calls.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some bearing engineer in flyover-country Japan is probably feeling very proud tonight and doesn't know why.

Poppin' the tiniest chub... Good on you Mr. Bearing Man.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Three!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You could really ruffle everyone's feathers by putting a diesel genset (preferably a Detroit) in the bed and running that to charge the batteries.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tremek posted:

So you’re going to stay at Microsoft? I’m confused how you measure for a Paul Allen install

Simple, 6 feet deep, 2.5 feet wide, and 8 feet long.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Jesus, yeah. A 5k forklift if also rated to 5k with the load center 24" from the back of the forks, not out over the front by 24". That's the same model fork lift thati own, and... Yeah. Sketchy as gently caress. Call a rigging company for Christ's sake, or at least a flatbed wrecker.

Glad you got it in place, and God help you if anything in the control breaks, I can only imagine how you'd fix it. Very neatly, with better parts than own, and likely several upgrades.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 1, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

They're only 0805s, I hand solder them. Shouldn't even need magnification for that :v:

Yup. Everyone's so afraid of SMD. 0805 is child's play for me, 0603 is very doable. 0402 is hot air time IMHO.

That IC pitch looks super easy too, I love it when what you need is available in a hand solderable package. loving QFN and BGA stuff sucks.

I was soldering some MELF packages the other day, and was reminded of their other acronym-definition: Most End up Lying on Floor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats man, it's been a long slog.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I worked installing pool cages back in the day a dude I worked with was a master with tin snips, I could never figure out how he did it, I always hosed it up I hate tin snips

One of the tricks I learned was to never get to the end of the blades. I still can't use them for poo poo, but at least I don't have the mangled spots in the middle of cuts from the end of the blade popping through.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

That is a drat good looking truck.

Not empty quoting, but God drat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got them on my truck. #0 welding cable to the battery, and 25' long cables. They're awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Unfortunately it's only compatible with a rare (at this point) Link aftermarket mostly-plugin ECU designed for supercharger kits on (iirc - I thought it was OBD2 ones but his is a 92) NA chassis Miatas. Estimate is that there are single digit or low double digit numbers of this ECU even still existing, so the market is very small and most sites aren't likely to want to list them.

At this point I can make good money on production runs in the single digit range while beating the last price the original manufacturer of the kit offered them at ten years later, so hopefully the last few people with this setup will want a few spares each and then it'll be over. At that point I'll just keep the design files and any extra blank boards in case someone contacts me years later desperate for just one last replacement before they retire their 30 year old ECU at the end of the season or something.

And components. Obsolescence is getting BAD.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I am loving beat. Why did I think doing this two days in a row was a good idea?

Because in your head, you're still 25?

Same reason I've been ripping out carpet and particle board for 3 days to prep for new floors instead of in paying the contractor $2200 to do it. An eternity of ring shank nails...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My LQ4 didn't. Or at least I never saw any or put any in when I changed the starter several times.

I agree it's a dumb system now, but GM is the king of "if it's fine for the production line and doesn't break in warranty, don't fix it"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL. Wagon thinks that'll stop you. Silly wagon.

Godspeed, sweet price!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:lol:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I'm going to seriously miss my old haunts at Sam's pull-a-part (Worcester MA) and the pick n pull chain yards in Rhode Island. Those places were great.

The pick n pull chain yards out here are great too, just don't have what I need in this case. Let me know on your next Seattle trip and we can do a full Puget Sound junkyard crawl.

Full service yards blow rear end (as Sharky said years ago I think, the price list seems to depend on what they think you have in your pocket) and I'll always hate them. Their info is bad, organization is worse, their service is universally provided by surly filthy grizzled antivaxxers, their prices are nearly universally loving insane, and just in general I only go there if I have literally no other choice.

Yup. I miss the yards in Pennsylvania and upstate NY. An honest price list, $5 admission, and no bullshit. Of course, this was before LKQ had every drunk and meth head stripping everything for cores. Full service yards value their parts at 10%n of the value of the car +/- the number of Bud Lights they had the night before * however many teeth or are on their ratchet / by teeth in their heads.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

XJs unfortunately don't do anything useful for me at this point that Britt's wagon, the Honcho, and the MJ can't do. I do, however, need a crane to build a house and barn without a construction crew, or at least that's my excuse to spend ten grand on a toy instead of ten grand on hiring a crew to stand up the framing.

Justification is a wonderful thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

My reverse lamps stopped working on the 88 Comanche. Looks like I'm about to install the BNIB neutral safety switch I bought for my 96 Cherokee in 2010. I could try rebuilding the old one but I'm betting it won't even come off in one piece due to the rust belt.

I don't know if there's a pair of sentences that encapsulate your approach to jeeps more clearly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Well, a few weekends ago Jack and I went to Ohio to pick up a welding robot he got a line on from a friend.

Naturally. Does it say property of Ford?

Shame about the Justy, but at least it's going to a good home and not a junkyard. Lots of good stories about that thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The only thing I could really ask for is a drain plug somewhere accessible so I could drain it without getting any in my mouth. I guess I should add a clear vinyl hose to my roadside kit so I can see the fuel coming instead of only finding out when it hits me.

Or a jiggler siphon pump.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The NoSpill cans are awesome. They make a clear extension they works great on small engines. Anyone using a vented can is wasting fuel and making air quality worse.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ThinkFear posted:

Sharky, I don't get the air quality / wasting fuel thing. Close the vent for storage, problem solved? Meanwhile everything that I'm filling with said gas can has a vented tank.

I see people spill gas out of vented cans all the time. Not from the vent but from not being able to stop the flow in time. The no spill button ones let you hold the can in the necessary position and dribble fuel in if you want.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Send cut send is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

I think you just answered my question of getting a couple very specific brass shapes cut when I've only got my garage to work with right now and an HOA that will murder me for doing metalwork in it.

Between them and Big Blue Saw, yeah. Very neat system if they have what you need for stock. I think Xometry can do water jet and laser now too, but they'll be more money.

Just be warned there's a minimum order value, so enjoy making some coasters or signs or whatever to hit it.