Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Inside Group

Anything else you want to do here before finishing your scene?
Outside Group

Slagg: "Deli'ry to the Crucible place!" shouts the coalhouse's floor boss, slapping a clipboard against a heavily overloaded cart. "Any a you ladies feel like a bit of fresh air?And some heavy lifting."

Annalise: They are, every time the roller craps out (rolls a seven before rolling the point value again) you lose two crowns. However, you can ask a question each roll and may even walk off with more than you started. What questions do you have an how much are you willing to gamble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg is eager to volunteer for the delivery. A little stroll in some fresh air would be great. And of course it would give him a chance to ditch this job.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Unless Julian has any ideas, I think we're good. We found where the box is, we know where we can assess reagents in case the break-in goes pear shaped and some field alchemy is needed, I think we're golden on our end.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Slagg: Slagg easily manhandles the cart down the narrow alleys of the docks. It takes a few minutes but it slowly dawns on him that he is meant to deliver this to the very warehouse he is planing on "visiting" that evening...

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Having found passage, Jeff realizes his shortage of personal coin would be a problem. He calls it a day and heads back to the meet up point.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

Not willing to tip exactly how much she has to lose, Annalise sets the coin for the first bet on the line and the second in front on her. She doesn't have much hope of coming out ahead here, at least not in gold, but maybe it won't be a complete bust. With her bet up for the roll, she'll see if there's anyone willing to talk. "I'm new around here, and heard about a man called Tigh Stonks. Maybe a job with him. Know anything about him?"

Annalise is pretty skint, so I'll limit it to three bets (six crowns). First question is above; the second will be 'I hear handles shipments for the Crucible - does he run any 'discrete' business out of that warehouse?' The last one will be 'Anyone on the watch looking at him? I don't want to get involved in any business with the heat on it.'

After that it's probably time to meet up with the others and hammer out a solid plan for our job.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Once he realizes that this load is meant for the warehouse he needed to visit anyway Slagg smiles, before quickly hiding it. This may have worked out to his advantage after all. May as well go and deliver it, after speaking with the others first.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Annalise : The old timer gives you a... look for a second before his eyes drift back to the table. "Stonks 'eh? You don't really look the type, if you beg me pardon. Unless you're an alchy-mest, I don't think you'll be findin' much work there. He has the ocassional use for hired muscle but he pre'frs 'em big and scary lookin'. Prob'ly makes their job a bit easier... or more dangerous if ya ask me."

11 on the dice.

"Well... I reckon a lot of the proprietors on this part o' the Tongue do a bit of, "discreet" business, was it? Though I haven't heard anything about Mr. Stonks in particular like," he takes a long sip from his mug before leaning in, "a'course... that's assumin' the Crucible doesn't have discreet business of their own."

6 on the dice.

He shrugs, "If a body could know who the watch was lookin' at and who was safer'n houses... we'll how'd a gaoler make a living?" After a bout of chuckling he shakes his head, "But I ain't heard or seen anything round Stonks'."

4 followed by 7.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

Collin pulls his great coat closer around him as a chill wind whips up the alley. Confident he has the layout of the neighborhood well mapped, Collin is picking his way back toward the warehouse, hoping to catch any of the others before he makes his way back to the rendezvous point.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

With the last roll and loss, Annalise decides to pack it in before she gets caught up in the game itself. "Thanks for the advice, friend. Always nice to talk to someone who knows the lay of the land better'm you. Looks like luck ain't with me, though." She stands back from the table, tipping her hat as she heads for the door.

Stepping out of the dive, she looks around to get her bearings and then heads back to their rendezvous. Assuming the gambler knows anything, it seems like Stonks either keeps his hands pretty clean, or is careful to keep his operation apart from the regular black market. Hopefully when they compare notes with the inside team, they can get a judge of the sort of man they'll be crossing.

Adjusting the brace of weapons she's hauling, she cuts straight toward the rendezvous to wait for the others. The stink of the docks makes it hard to think about lunch, but she could do with a stiff drink while they pool their knowledge and hammer out a plan.

I can't see anything else worth doing until we've all shared information and had a chance to plan. It took four rolls to crap out with no point, so I'm down two crowns, is that right?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
That is correct. Also, it's looking like everyone has wrapped up their scenes. Unless there is someone you still want to do I think we can assume people are back at the rendezvous.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

After meeting up with the others, Jeff relays the information he's gathered. "I spoke with one of the local fishermen, apparently hes seen Lancers do unloading at the warehouse. If they're delegating Lancers to unloading, either it was something that needed guarding or they just have enough Lancers around to use them as unloaders. Either way its not good for us that they can call on them. Any escape we make that is not quick will probably end with them being called in. Which brings me to my next bit of news. I've got a lead on some local "fishermen" who would be willing to boat to the warehouse, no questions asked. If we can get the trunk out the back of the warehouse onto the rive, we can make our escape there."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Toured the warehouse, found the box." Jed told the rest. "Nice place, the warehouse. Well organized, decent stock. If we weren't breaking in and stealing, I'd probably set up an account there." He describes the general layout, and where he saw the trunk. "The news of Lancers is pretty grim, but worse comes to worse, I could use the reagents to whip up something."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Once it is Slagg's turn to report he speaks up, "got roped into shoveling coal as my attempt to blend in worked a bit too well. Got out of there by getting assigned to deliver a load of something." He pats the load, "just so happens it goes to the warehouse we needed to get into, perhaps a few of you can accompany me on the delivery?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Meeting up with the others, they get to pool their information and share what they know about the warehouse and the surroundings. She'll add in the details she managed to pick up on the outside. "There's a neighboring building with a hoist and balcony - might help us in or help us get the chest out, depending on how it lines up to interior. I also talked to some of the locals - no one seems to know about Stonks' less-legal business, so either he keeps it pretty light or plays it close to the chest - if they've got Lancers, it sounds like he's operating well over the street. Makes this a challenge, but also means we probably don't need to worry about any dockers throwing in with him or getting in our way - doubt he's mingling with local thugs much."

There's still plenty to talk about, but Slagg's news seems to be a priority if they can make use of it. It takes a moment for inspiration to strike "If they're getting coal in, chances are it's for whatever 'jacks they've got in there, right? Not like they're running a steamworks. So if you make the delivery, you should get the chance to see what sort of 'jacks are on site, and how and where they're stored. Might be those Lancers were just for the job, and even if they keep them around they might not keep them running all the time either. We know what there is and how it's kept, we can avoid it."

She flashes a glance around the others for their reactions, the thought already developing. "I doubt we can send more than one other person with Slagg, though, hardly a reason for us all to be trooping along on a delivery. Probably just one of us, say it's to keep an eye on the new guy and make sure he gets it right? I reckon we can sell that if you act a little slow, Slagg. Anyone else want to play minder?"

I'm happy to go with Slagg unless someone else is chomping at the bit or thinks they'd sell the ruse better. Then we can all reconvene and hammer out our plan?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Julian di Lioni

"Lancers?" Julian's smile disappears as soon as he hears the word. "Those are military hardware. No mobster should be able to get their hands on that kind of equipment. I wonder if that's why Stonks was so nervous, was he afraid we'd notice the 'jacks? Were the 'jacks still there in the first place?" He stares at a wall as Annalise speaks. "...Oh. Is that it? Did he have a watch in his pocket after all?"

Julian bites his lip as he leans over the table. "While we were inside, Stonks was terribly anxious for something. He kept fidgeting with his hand in his pocket, as if he wanted to check his watch again. I think Miss Ardenne is right, that coal is earmarked for whatever 'jacks are hidden in there, and I think it's exactly what Stonks has been sweating over the whole morning. They're about to move something tonight, I will bet ten crowns to one on it. We should move just before they do."

"But of course, I might be wrong. Slagg and whoever goes in with him, please keep an eye on Stonks. Try to see what he has got in his pocket."

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

Collin traces out a crude outline of the routes he explored. "If we can't get back to the boat, this is our best bet to lose a tail. If we can squeeze past here, a little quick vandalism and mayhem will choke this alley off and they'll have to double-back all the way back to this other side street. Should give us some time to get a little breathing room."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
We seem to keep doing an awkward pause, unsure of whom is supposed to post next.

Jeff Tazdaff

"Julian, if you would come with me? We still need to actually hire the boat for tonight, and I am lacking in coinage to do so."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If we're at the awkward pause stage, I think it might be time to fast-forward to the break-in. So, once we finalize who's going where and doing what, we should be ready to reenact Leverage.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Okay, by tomorrow night, everyone should post what they're doing for the break-in. We'll get rolling from there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sorry for the awkward pause thing, I wasn't sure if we were going through with Slagg's delivery now or jumping to the heist. I assume Slagg needs to make the delivery before we're planning to strike, do we want to run through that or skip ahead?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg points to Annalise, "let's go. At the least we can case the place a little while we deliver this." He pauses, "Unless we want to hide someone under some of this," waving toward the stuff he was delivering, "and then try and steal it out from under them."

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

"Ah, you might be on to something there. If we create a big enough diversion outside, you might be alone inside with the prize. Do we feel like being brazen and trying this in broad daylight?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Whoa, wait...take it now? Well," he pauses, thinking. "That could beat the Lancers at night. Make a hollow in the cart to hide the trunk, maybe one other person..."

He continues to ponder, slowly pacing the ground. "Three guards at the door, Mr. Stonks and Mary inside... The cage is probably locked, so we need a way to open it, pick the lock, disable it somehow... Anyone know how to pick a lock?" he asks the others. "Otherwise, I figure I could pour some acid on it, melt it open." He turns to Slagg and Annalise. "I might be the one hiding in the cart, then."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

When asked if he knew how to pick a locl Slagg confusedly suggests "punch it? That should do it right?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

The audacity of a daylight strike brings her up short for a minute, contemplating the number of people on the docks and the clear havoc it would cause. But would those people actually turn out to help Stonks? The dockers had no particular loyalty to the Crucible, especially in the face of armed assault.

"Could work, sure. Could get really messy though. If we do that, I think we'd want someone who knows the interior and where the chest is going in with Slagg" She nods to Jed "Either you or Julian, and I'd say you in case there's need to use - or avoid - anything they've got in there. We don't want to knock something over and blow the place." She turns her attention back to the layout "That leaves the rest of us to kick up a fuss outside, get the guards out front... if the trunk comes out the back with the cart, we can take it down the route Collin found - not sure we'll have time to get a boat if we're starting now. Boat in daylight might not be a good getaway anyway, easy to watch and see where we put in."

Trying to spell all this out just makes it seem crazier, but it does have a certain appeal. Fortune favors the bold, they say, and the Crucible probably worries more about thieves than a frontal assault. Still, the idea of crashing the warehouse in broad daylight seems to invite additional trouble. Another idea comes to mind.

"Second option, maybe. Can we spike the coal somehow? Mix something into it or soak it so that it will either blow the boilers or quit burning? If they're using this for their 'jacks and we spike the lot, it'd take them all out and we'd be sitting pretty." She looks to the Alchemist and Mechaniks for their reaction - she knows you can't just toss anything into a furnace, but has no idea how hard it might be to intentionally ruin the fuel.

She leans back, mulling over the options and trying not to let the idea of signed charter cloud her judgement. "We go in now, even if this goes well, there'll be a ton of witnesses. It goes bad and we could find a mob on our backs. Doesn't mean it's not the way to do it, I just want everyone clear on their gamble. What do you think?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"A strike now? I doubt we'd make a clean getaway and then this whole thing could turn sour. Better to wait until its night and try our luck then."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jeff's comment brings Jed back down to earth, somewhat. "Yeah, plus it'll take me a couple of hours to brew up a batch of rusting agent."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Julian di Lioni

Julian doesn't look very eager to go in immediately. "I agree with monsieur Tazdaf on this. Moving in the open will win us no friends. Even our mysterious employer might simply cut us if we make too big a stink."

"I will go hire the boat with Tazdaf for tonight. Two of you go in and get a good look at the place. Come nightfall, we should be able to use the building Annalise found to make our way inside without being seen, but inside we will have to think on our feet."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

With a rough consensus, Annalise nods in agreement. The idea of striking immediately had a certain appeal, but it was very risky. Besides, their backers had given them information on a time to strike, and might not appreciate too much free-wheeling.

"Alright. Slagg and I will make this delivery as-is, find out what we can, maybe we'll get some more information and a different view on the warehouse. Would be good if we could leverage the coal somehow, but doesn't seem like we have that chance. Maybe we can at least work out what we'll be seeing in there, 'jack-wise." She slings her obvious weapons onto the table. "I'll leave these with you guys - not like a coal delivery needs more protection than Slagg."

She stands up, settling her coat and checking her less-obvious holdout pistol is in place. Just in case. "Assuming that Jeff and Julian can get the boat in order, we'll plan to use that as our getaway - make sure it's big enough for all of us and the trunk, if not we'll need to plan who's in and who is using an alternate way out, like that scaffold trick. Jed, Collin, looks like you have some time to prepare anything you think might be handy. Like Julian says, we'll need to think on our feet in there, so anything might come in handy."

Annalise pauses for a moment, aware that she is on the verge of giving orders to the others without any real authority, and hoping that no one takes offense to that. She trusts them all to make the right moves, or wouldn't be prepared to sign a charter with them. "Let's meet back at the inn once we've run our errands - we can collect any gear we need, make any last-minute adjustments to the plan."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg nods and makes ready to move the coal. And prepares to put on a show of being watched by the more experienced Annalise.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Can't guarantee I'll be able to update tonight but what are you goals on the coal delivery? Also, are you spiking it somehow?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The plan is to drop off the coal, apologize for any lateness on the basis of Slagg being a new (slow) worker, and try to get into back end of the warehouse. We don't know how deliveries normally go, but if they just leave it at the door we can offer to shift/load it for them to make up for the delay - ideally we would like to see what it's going to, and get a count of whatever 'jacks they might have running tonight.

I am not sure that we can spike the coal - it seems like Jed would need more time to cook something up for it, and I don't know what is quick-and-dirty that could work. We could slop some water on it, but that would be really obvious. Could we hide some ammo in the coal? I don't know that a handful of slugs going off would actually wreck a furnace/boiler, but it's probably our only shot. If we can swing by a store, I'll buy some slugs and do that

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If there's an alchemist's shop around nearby, I could try to buy pre-made Rusting Agent, then try to mix that into the coal. Again, it depends if there's a shop nearby, and how long it takes to properly spike the coal.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
It would take Jed about half an hour to find an alchemy shop and get back. Tossing a handful of shells in there may not work because rounds don't "cook off", the two components of blasting powder have to mix together. However if you toss in a handful of silk satchels of each component...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Right, I forgot that the ammunition in IK doesn't work the same way as gunpowder. I think that stuffing some bags into the coal is going to be pretty obvious (and chancy to work). The delivery is probably already late, so I vote we stall another half hour and let Jed try to get the Rusting Agent - that seems like it has the best chance of working, assuming that it survives being thrown into the furnace.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

So, take an half-hour (and 18 gp) for Jed to get the rusting agent, the properly mix it with the coal so it won't instantly activate until it gets put in the jack furnace and lit. Unless anyone has any other ideas, we'll run with this.

Also, an excuse for why Slagg is late, "They told me to take it to the warehouse - they didn't say which one!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think that's the plan, don't think we have anything better. I imagine they're going to be grouchy about the delay, so my plan is to say that Slagg is a new worker who is a little slow, and he ended up getting turned around and Annalise had to find him and guide him onto the delivery - with apologies, and we'll offer some extra help unloading/etc to make up for it (which might get us more time/a different view inside).

At this point I assume we're waiting for Gr3y to set the scene, let me know if we need more info to go ahead.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Delivery

"About time," Thrakas grumbles, "Coal delivery! Open 'er up!" he pounds the main door twice and steps back as they begin to move forward. The guards spread out a bit and ready their halberds and crossbows, while not real soldiers they could probably give most crooks and robbers a good run.

As the door gets pushed open you get a good look at the doorman. It's a modified Bulldog, both of its arms end in hands, and it's gripping a massive iron pole ending in a nasty hook. With a practiced twist the 'jack frees the hook from a bar welded to the top of the door and steps aside, giving a rough imitation of a curtsy and holding still until it gets new orders.

"Coal bin's right along the eastern wall," Thrakas says with a gesture. "Get it towed an' stowed and come right back here." He points at the 'jack and makes a hand gesture, "Cart Empty Outside Grips." The 'jack nods and vents steam through a whistle, with one hand it lifts an empty cart like the one Slagg is lugging around, and shoves it clear of the door.

The door's rollers let out a metallic groan as Grips pulls it closed behind you.

The Ogrun has waved you at a wall that will take you out of line of sight of the doorway, and while the bin is maybe 60 yards away, you have to hug the perimeter of the building or wind and weave through the storage racks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg follows the instructions taking the straight path if he must, and can actually fit that way. But preferring to take the path that best gives them a view of the interior while avoiding drawing attention.

• Locked thread