Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Getaway

"I think I know just the spot..." grins the oarsman. "We'll have you lot safe and sound and, uh, hopefully silent, on dry land in just a few minutes."

Sorry, work has been killing me. They're going to put you ashore in a quiet part of town, where do you go from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Find the nearest care facility, drop off our two casualties, figure things out from there. Part of me wants to have Jed visit them when they recover, and ask them what happened.

Other than that, stay out of the limelight, and probably read the papers to see how this poo poo is being spun.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I say we take them with us to the rendezvous point, see what we can work out or see if it was a setup from the beginning.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I like either of those ideas.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree that we need to get our heads down and try and work out what's going on. I think that if Mary and Stonks don't need serious care, we should take them with us. I'd like to know what happened first hand, and I think that we can easily sell it to them as 'Hey we don't know what happened but thought that whoever did this might want to finish the job, so we didn't want to leave you unprotected in some random hospice'. Jed can probably nurse them through the worst of it.

There's a risk that they'll recognize Slagg and Annalise though, and start wondering what was really going on that day.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Remember, Stonks and Mary, well Stonks, is a criminal running a smuggling operation and we owe him nothing really. If they get to know any of us or connect us to the incident they could make life difficult for us. Just nursing them back to health and then talking to them will make them suspicious about us and likely assume kidnapping. If we take them to the meeting point, the guard will take care of Mary who might not be a criminal, with Stonks missing in the attack the guard get him do with at their leisure and negate any negativity from the failed mission. If it turns out it was a setup it doesnt matter either way because we'll need to flee the city and head to Ord.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm not actually sure that Stonks is a smuggler - the only thing we have to back that is the word of the guy who hired us, who is also the most likely person to have set us up. Having said that, even if he is on the level you're right in that we don't want to be in the position of having kidnapped a member of the Golden Crucible, either. So I guess let's go to the rendezvous, if it turns out that our hire and the watch is behind all this I guess we shoot our way out and book it for Ord.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So right now we're at two for the rendezvous point, one for going into hiding. Unless it ties up tonight I think we're going to the rendezvous point.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
May as well go to the rendezvous point, but be prepared for possible betrayal.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

It take a few minutes of hustling but you find yourself at the well lit dock you were told to meet at. Even at this time of night there is a surprising amount of activity, stevedores loading and unloading crates, small galleys putting either coming in or going out, racing the dawn for the next dollar. The sound and movement stand in stark contrast to the deathly stillness of the warehouse.

The Found Souls your contact's vessel is docked here. It bobs quietly in the water. This is where you were instructed to deliver the iron box.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

On the way to the dock Annalise removes her mask, tucking it away into her coat. That would certainly draw attention on the crowded dock. Despite the fact that it might call some attention, she does keep her crossbow on hand, held low at her side. The whole evening has mad her skittish about heading into another confrontation. Even if they aren't being set up, no doubt their employer will not be terribly please with the result of the night's work.

She'll stop at the head of the dock for a moment, signaling the rest of the group to do the same. Taking a minute to look over the bustling dock crews, she looks for anything out of place. "Hopefully they'll think we're just bringing in some crew worse for wear" she mutters. But unless they want to stuff Stonks and Mary into barrels, there isn't much else for it. "Come on then. And stay sharp, this whole night has been a mess and I doubt it's done yet."

She'll head for the Found Souls, bobbing at its mooring. In a different situation she'd like to have them spread out and approach more carefully, but it's hard to make tactical maneuvers along a working dock.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed follows, keeping an eye on Stonks' and Mary's conditions.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey guys. I'm sorry, but I'm going to drop out of this game. I'm having trouble staying focused on it, and don't want to be the guy everyone has to wait around for. I'm going to leave Julian to Gr3y to use as he sees fit.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff, wary, thumbs his rapier's mechanika on but leaves it hidden in the scabbard. This could require a hasty exit, but he hopes not. He follows the others up onto the boat.

How big is the boat, i.e. like how many people could be on it if it came to a fight?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

Like many of the ships moored at this hour, the Found Souls is quiet. It's deck is mostly cleared, with a few barrels or crates lashed orderly to the sides. The Captain's cabin is lit faintly from within, but the ship is otherwise quiet.

The ship is a typical river galley. It is maybe forty yards long and twenty wide. These ships are built tall, usually two or in this case three, levels with wide, flat bottoms to keep the draft shallow. It's hard to judge how many people could be on board since the bottom level of the ship is almost always dedicated to cargo, with the middle level either being crewspace or more storage. Typically there are maybe a dozen crew members, but the ones that are specifically set up to ferry people can carry several times that.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 15, 2013

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"Me and Slagg will stay here on watch. You guys head on in."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She stops at the bottom of the gangplank to eye the ship critically, not enjoying the idea of heading inside a confined area where they might easily be attacked and subdued without raising too much fuss on the dock. She also has some idea that you are supposed to request permission before boarding or something of the sort, but if there's no one watching the plank then there's not much choice.

She glances over at Jeff at his suggestion, and doesn't bother to suppress a grimace. "I'd prefer Slagg on board, in case things get nasty. Good time to have a strong arm." She flicks her gaze over to the Troll "Your choice, of course. Ceilings are probably low and I'll doubt you'll be comfy." Whatever he chooses, it's clear to her that she's headed into the belly of the beast. So she'll stride up the plank to the deck, trying to look like she has any necessary authority. If no one is on deck to greet them (or stop them) she'll head for the cabin door.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg nods. After a moment's thought he speaks. "It would be best if I go where the action is." He cracks his massive knuckles in anticipation of some fun.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff shrugs. "Alright, I'll take watch then." Jeff heads up the plank with the others and stands on guard outside the door. His hand rests on his rapier, ready for action should it come.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

Collin files in behind, practically disappearing Slagg's huge shadow. He spends more time casting nervous glances back over his shoulder than he does looking forward. He mutters nervously under his breath.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

The man who hired you is standing on the deck of the galley. His strangely bulky form is obscured under a massive coat. He looks up at you in surprise, and almost sheepishly twitches the edge of his coat over the iron chest he's sitting on, revealing an armor clad leg. "Well... this is awkward. For what those guards charged I expected a bit more from them."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She narrows her eyes as she spots the iron trunk, presumably the same one they've spent the night haring after. Looks like Collin was right about the setup. Annalise glances over the deck for a moment, to check to see if there are crew on hand to handle when things go south here - she doesn't doubt that's going to happen.

After the quick look she returns the attention to the man, keeping her crossbow held low along her leg. "Seems like this isn't a good night for anyone's plans, then." While she stalls, her mind races trying to unravel what happened here. Seems like their hire paid the guards to pass him the chest and take care of them as fall guys - why weren't they at the warehouse? And what about the ectoplasm and death scent? If that was a third party, presumably they got to the warehouse after the guards had passed the trunk onto their new boss. Which means they're likely still looking for the chest as well. Not a happy thought.

"Somehow I doubt we're going to get that charter signed, are we? Don't suppose you're at least willing to pay us out for our trouble here tonight, either?" Probably not. At this point they are likely considered loose ends to tie up, and if he's armored apparently he knows something about fighting. Hopefully not enough.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg is not happy, he begins to crack his knuckles loudly. Then Annalise speaks. He glances to her, only briefly before returning his gaze to any possible threats. He'll let her speak, maybe she can salvage this somehow. But he doubted it. As far as he was concerned this could end only one way.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 18, 2013

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

At the sight of man on the chest Jeff's hand tightens on the grip of his blade. Still leaving it sheathed he says, "I really didn't appreciate the theft of my coat either. Or leaving it at the scene."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

The man stands up and adjusts something under his coat producing a quiet clicking sound and a hint of green light from underneath. "Now the coat part I thought was clever. As for the charter... Well, I wasn't actually planning on you being alive for that." In a blur his arm whips out and vile green runes erupt in concentric circles around his wrist and the gangplank. The wood hisses and steams as it begins to dissolve, before splashing into the river beneath. Nearby dockworkers let out panicked cries and begin sounding an alarm.

"Hmm. Where do we go from here?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'm going off the idea that we led Stonks and Mary on the ship with us. If I'm reading it right, all of us got on the ship, instead of Slagg and Jeff staying on the docks on overwatch. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Jed Westman

Jed barely got time to swear "You sunofabitch!" at the betrayer before grabbing the two casualties and ducking for cover. Once they were safe (or as safe as they could be on this ship), he was going to speak his mind with their former employer. He figured his pistol would make a most compelling argument.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff draws his rapier and holds it in front of him, prepared for battle.

Init 15. Also how close is the guy to the edge of the ship, i.e. hitting him off and into the water.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Well, if there was ever a peaceful solution to be found here, it went out the window when he melted away the gangplank - clearly he doesn't intend them to walk away from this. Annalise snaps her crossbow up, sighting for a split-second before she fires at the man. "Take him down!" Doubting that will be enough to do the job and anticipating he'll return fire with something as nasty as that spell, she ducks to one side, looking for cover. Unless he gets reinforcements, he'll have a hard time keeping a bead on all of them.

I'm assuming we're entering combat at this point, so that would be an Attack, Move, and Quick Action (to take cover, if possible). Annalise has Ambush, but I'm assuming that doesn't apply as he has already acted. Annalise has a base Initiative of 15.

Don't forget she'll confer her Intellectual bonus (+1 to Attack and Damage) to anyone within 18ft (if they listen to her)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting
Annalise's bolt flies true, but passes harmlessly through the man. With a smile both him, and the iron chest he was sitting on, slowly begin to sink through the ship. As if part of some arcane seesaw, twisted and skeletal forms rise from beneath deck as he sinks. "Realithra, be a dear and gut these fools," he call out as he waves goodbye.

A woman emerges from the ships wheelhouse, accompanied by a hulking Ogrun. "You heard the man Narrik, let's get to work!"

The whole ship.

The immediate area.

Initiative tracker. Jeff acts next.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Well this explains the mess in the warehouse. Seeing the woman is in command of these imposing forces, Jeff believes she's probably the most dangerous one there. Setting his blade before him, he uses his other hand to focus an arcane attack.

Casting Razor Wind on Realithra, Cost 2 and POW 12. Boosting the attack and damage roll for total of 4 Fatigue. Arc is 4, so attack is 3d6 + 4, damage is 3d6 + 12.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

Crisp white runes flare around Jeff's hand and head as a a massive surge of wind rips across the deck. (18 vs. DEF. Hit!) The surge of air rushes at the sorceresses but the Ogrun deftly interposes himself (24 vs ARM! 5 damage!). The Ogrun's shield takes the brunt of the force, but he is momentarily staggered by the shear ferocity of Jeff's spell.

I screwed up the map and left someone off. Here are the updated ones:

The whole ship.

The immediate area.

Initiative tracker. Jed acts next.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Does Slagg need to be in contact with earth/stone to use his spells?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I am going to say no, because that would make for more boring encounters.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Undead, Jed thought. Rather than deal with the thralls, Jed knew to deal with their master. And if her Ogrun could block spells, let's see if he could block a cinder grenade.

"Burn," he muttered as he primed the pin.

Throwing a Cinder grenade at the space between the Ogrun and the Witch. That should catch 'em both.

Prow 4 + Thrown Weapon 1. Cinder Grenade AOE is 3, lasts for a round, and causes 12 POW fire damage. Anything who ends their turn in the AOE has the Fire continuous effect.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting

Jed tosses the small canister of the cinder bomb at the space between the mage and the muscle. (Ground is target, auto deviates towards 2... for 5... deviates for maximum allowed distance... stopped by obstruction!) The canister rolls into the bulkhead behind the two with an unassuming clink. Then, with a muffled thump, explodes over both its targets, splattering them with burning alchemical fluids, (Both targets caught in blast for 1/2 POW. 11 vs. ARM for Narrick. No damage. 15 vs. ARM for Realithra, 4 damage!) annoying the Ogrum but causing the woman to scream in pain and terror.

"Holy poo poo!" Realithra mutters as she tries to put some distance between her and Jeff. "Narrik," she screeches as runes erupts around both of them (casts Vision on Narrik), "kill the witch!" More sigils erupt around her face and begin to form around Jeff's neck (11 vs Def. Miss!), before harmlessly flickering out.

"Will do!" rumbles the Ogrun as he charges Jeff. Jeff, expertly steps back and brings his rapier to deflect Narrik's blade... (14 vs DEF. Hit! Boost from charge... Extra die from Weapon Master... 19 DMG!) but terribly misjudges how powerful his opponent is. The blade slams into the rapier and barely slows down as it hits Jeff shoulder. The Mechanik collapses to the deck in a heap, clearly wounded.

The whole ship.

The immediate area.

Initiative tracker. Colin acts next.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 18, 2013

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I'll spend a feat point to half to the damage to 10

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
In that case Jeff is still standing. Barely. He is hit on the 1 arm, which means arms 1-4 are now gone. One dot left on 5. 6 arm is intact.

Edit: Corrected health count.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2013

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

Blood sprays across Collin's face as Jeff takes a massive hit. "Holy Sh--" Collin's cursing is cut short as he almost stumbles over Mary in his hasty backpedal. He throws up a hand surrounded in a halo of runes and fires off a bolt of force at the fleeing woman. With his other hand, he unslings his rifle.

Quick Action: Acrantrik Bolt, boosting attack and damage (total cost: 4). With Combat Caster, that should be 3d6 (keep best two)+ 1d6 + 4 (ARC), Damage: 3d6+12 (Pow)

Quick Action: Draw Rifle

Movement: Step back from the gigantic poo poo-kicker in front of me, hopefully putting the north crates between myself and the north batch of thralls. If the crates are big enough to block LOS, that will bring Sentry into play.

If so: attack the first Thrall (or any enemy) that steps into Collin's LOS with Collin's Repeating Rifle (Rat: 6, Pow: 10).

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Meeting
Collin blast sails through the air (12 vs DEF. Miss!) but flies wide of it's target. Stepping back he readies his rifle.

The whole ship.

The immediate area.

Initiative tracker. Slagg acts next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Runes surround Slagg as he slams a foot into the floor beneath him. In another part of the ship a stone pillar erupts, attempting to slam into Realithra. Then he armors up, more runes pass up and down his body before his skin takes on an even rockier appearance.

Quick Action: Battering Ram (cost 2). 2d6+3(ARC). Damage: 2d6+12 (Pow).
If hits can push Realithra 3" away from point of origin. Try to set it behind her in such a way to push her into the burning patch from the grenade.

Quick Acion: Stone Strength (cost 2). Slagg gains +1 STR and ARM while he upkeeps it.

Slagg now has more Fatigue than ARC, so must make a Fatigue roll. Roll 2d6 and hopefully get above a 4.

• Locked thread