Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Getting Out

The situation in the town is growing more tense. Looking around you realize you have two options, try to buy what you need with what coin you have, or simply grab anything not bolted down and hope the owner doesn't notice or care...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

Things look like they're going apart here by the moment. It's tempting to make a grab for what they want, but the last thing they need is to get into a tussle with some storekeeper over his last sack of salted fish and end up missing the boat because of it. She does some quick re-evaluation; food can wait, they have a handful of rations and can try to make do on the way south, even if that means forage or fishing. The important thing is keeping Scrive running.

I don't want to get bogged down in looting, so we'll trim the shopping list to Coal for the 'jack. Better to get it legitimately, but if needed I guess we'll have to heist and run

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Getting Out

Coal is a hot commodity right now. Everyone with a 'jack, a steamboat, and in a few cases a suit of warcaster armor is making sure their boilers stay stoked. The cheapest you can find any is nearly three times the average price, how much are you looking to buy?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

The price is painful, but pulling a smash and grab on the hot commodity is only more likely to get someone chasing them for it. And really, they haven't had a great track record on the wrong side of the law. Gritting her teeth, Annalise sets out to haggle for just what they need to get Scrive back in working order.

We'll need enough to ensure that Scrive can be useful - not fully active full time, but keeping him smoldering as much as possible and enough coal for a few stints of real work, whether that is loading or fighting. We don't want to end up on the ropes because he can't fire up, but in an extreme situation I'm hoping we can pull from the ship's store...

Sorry for the delay in getting a post up, the weekend was a mess.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
How many crowns do you currently have left and how much are willing to spend on Scrive? General usage burns 100lbs of coal an six hours, combat will burn through that in under one. Right now Jevkin's reckons he has about 30lbs left in the boiler.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Had to do some back-checking to work out the money situation. Annalise is down to 15g in personal funds, but I don't believe we have had to dip into the group funds yet, so we should have 60g in reserve. I'm assuming the shares the other characters had were just lost, so that doesn't leave us much.

We should keep something in reserve, but I think we should be prepared to spend 30g on coal - at the triple rates, that should still be 100lbs of coal, which isn't as much as I'd like but enough to do a thing if needed.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Getting Out

Two sacks of coal is all your money gets you, but at least they're yours. Jevkins tops Scrive up and dials the boiler back to an idle, "Ready to stoke 'em up whe- if we need 'em boss," the gobber grins with forced nonchalance. The boat punts off and begins tooling down the river.

The first hour passes without event, but you hear a few rumors as to what has the khards spooked. What are they?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan puts his ears to work as well as his eyes, picking up rumors while watching the river for sandbars and the shoreline for possible threats. They range from the absolutely ridiculous khardic nonsense - a house on chicken legs, an army of miniature men, an iresistable child whose hugs encase people in ice - to the downright frightening. A great beast made practically of metal and fangs that roams the roads, eating everything it comes across... EVERYTHING. A horde of undead Umbrian warriors from the time of the horselords, covered in bitter frost and back to seek revenge against all those who've harmed the Old kingdom. A fog that cuts off all sight and sound, and when people go in they just vanish, leaving their belongings (and clothing) behind. A few of the rumors seem almost plausible, though. A foul Infernalist cabal taken to the chaos of the world to claim souls for their dark masters, a hellspawn from some ancient crypt the idiot Khadorans opened to plunder, a pack of Wyrd Wolves come for some unknown sinister purpose.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 8, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

At least they got something for their coin, and hopefully it will be enough. With everything strapped down and packed, she's just relieved to be underway at last - and able to catch some sleep. It's a good thing that she manages to catch some rest, because Stoyan has collected enough rumors and stories to keep anyone awake worrying for some time. While she's not too concerned about a house on chicken legs (it would need duck feet to get them now), some of the others seem a little too close to home. After all, they've already crossed one cult, who is to say there isn't an Infernalist one afoot?

So long as it isn't the creepy kid, that's where we have to draw the line!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist

The boat rolls down the river for an hour without incident. The crew and passengers are tense but seem to be beginning to relax. At least they were until the fog rolled in.

The day changed from slightly overcast to soup in a matter of minutes. You can barely see to the far end of the deck despite the boat being relatively small. But more discomforting is the noise. There is none. Even the splash of water, a mere dozen feet or so below you is muted.

This continues on for the rest of the afternoon, the crew becoming more and more belligerent towards anyone in the way of their duties or whose face they decide they don't like.

Then, with a loud 'thunk' the boat lurches a good foot backwards, sending you reeling. As you regain your balance you notice the boat has started moving, but it's now moving in the wrong direction, backwards and rear end first...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan pulls his pistol and heads towards the rear of the craft, trying to get a clear glimpse of whatever has the ship. He also looks over at the deckhands and yells out "grab your weapons men! I think we've found at least a symptom of what plagues this land!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She does her best to get some rest while the boat is underway, although it only lasts until the thick fog begins to make everyone nervous and surly. Coming on deck to find their craft floating through the thick fog is unnerving, and she abandons any thought of getting more rest. Instead she hunkers against the wheelhouse, doing her best to stay out of the way of the crew and eyeing the fog as she cleans her weapons.

When the craft lurches backward, Annalise scrambles uncertainly to her feet and mutters a curse. The hope that the boat has merely caught on obstruction dies when it begins to drag backwards. "Jevkins!" She squints into the fog, trying to locate the Gobber and hoping he is alert. "Stay sharp to bring Scrive up if we give the word!" With their limited coal, though, she doesn't want to jump the gun. The heavy 'jack might not be able to do much about a threat in the water. Readying her crossbow -for all the use it will be in this murk- she heads down the side of the boat in Stoan's wake.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist

"On it chief!" the gobber yells as he begins fiddling with the valves on Scrive's back.

The boat is still for a moment before it tilts sharply the side. A crew member screams as a hulking form, like a crab from hell, begins to drag itself onto the deck. Equally disturbing, if of slightly less concern, are the handful of human sized forms climbing out of the water and mantling up the side of mechanikal monstrosity.

"Leviathan!" one of the crew yells as they fire a pistol into the Cryxian 'jack's armor without effect.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Despite the days spent on the baot upriver, Annalise is no river-rat and doesn't have her sealegs. As the boat lists she skids across the deck before snatching hold of a railing to give herself some support. Aft, port, the problems seem to be all over. She watches in horror as the Cryxian jack hauls itself onto the deck of the ship, all but oblivious to the smaller figures in its wake.

Fortunately the appearance of the monster doesn't paralyze her completely - fighting instincts kick in almost at once, and she shouts her instructions to the Gobber. "Full steam, Jevkins! All you've got!" They're going to need some punch to take out that jack.

She swings up her crossbow and opens fires on the attackers, although it isn't likely to dent the Leviathan "All hands, open fire! Bring 'em down!"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan rocks with the boat then changes direction to face the threat to the side. Fear floods his face for half a second before he calms himself, allowing his experience take over as he falls into the old familiar attack pattern - arms extended, sight down the barrel, exhale slowly then gently pull the trigger. It feels like forever but its only a matter of seconds as he fires not just once but twice into the hulking form, hoping to damage something, anything, on the beast.

"Warjack!" he shouts, remembering that he's not alone in this fight "Heavy arms target it! Small arms and handweapons deal with the smaller targets! If you've got spears or hooks target the monsters legs, see if you can't knock it down!"

Pistol attack 7, Pow 10 targeting the leviathan with both shots.
Initiative 17, boosted att/dam rolls against anything that hasn't activated yet in the first turn (not sure if coming over the side counts as activation), add 1 die to both att/dam and drop the low as well.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist

Stoyan's round slams into the helljack's carapace leaving a nice hole but little other effect (2 damage to column 2).
Jevkins grabs a hold of one of the levers near Scrive's boiler and wrenches it, with a dull thump the boiler roars to life, "Ready on you're mark boss!" the gobber yells, as he crouches behind his 'jack.

What is Annalise shooting at? Also, describe where you are on the deck in relation to each other.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise is shooting at the Leviathan, although I am not optimistic about her chances. She also has Ambush, so will get boosted Attack/Damage if the Leviathan hasn't activated - although I was guessing that coming over the side counts.

Initiative 16, Crossbow is RAT 6, POW 11 including the Intellectual bonus (which goes out to anyone within 7)

For locations, I'm assuming this is a riverboat similar to the first one we brawled on; I would say that Scrive/Jevkins are toward the front in the flat loading area, Annalise is alongside the wheelhouse/cabin, and Stoyan is further back toward the paddle - sound right?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
yeah, locations sound right.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Sorry, holiday stuff plus general existential horror of my life. I'll have an update Tuesday night.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Annalise's bolt flies true (17 vs ARM, hit!) and hits... something in the 'jack's left claw (7 to column 2, carries into column 3). Stoyan's second round (20 vs ARM, hit!) slams into the right claw (5 to column 6, carries into column 1).

If this looks right we'll roll initiative and take it from here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The positioning looks good to me! Let's roll up initiative and see if we can survive another Warjack without a Troll throwing earth-punches

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
yeah, looks great to me.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Then let's rock and roll.

Remember that Stoyan gets to give scrive an order this round.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan had to smile to himself - things certainly looked grim, but not unwinnable. True, he was out his element - he was being the ambusher, not the ambushee, but there might be a trick or two they could pull against this Cryxian scum. Also, he liked the fighting, it reminded him how alive we he really was, and deep down it felt like home. Even better, these things deserved to die, so there wouldn't be any guilt afterwords. The smile lingered for only a second, just long enough to adjust his aim and fire two fast shots at the Thrall nearest him before ducking up against the deckhouse, trying to stay out of line of sight of the Leviathan. Then, over the din of battle he yelled "Scrive! Slam the leviathan when it moves, try to pin it to the Deckhouse!"

Maybe, just Maybe, they could pull this off.

Attack #1 - Risen Thrall nearest to Stoyan, using my skilled archetype bonus to make a second attack against the same target.
Move - move up against the deckhouse, trying to get out of LoS of the Leviathan - giving it no choice but to move towards Anna on its turn.
Order for Scrive - Charge the leviathan when it moves, slamming it into the deck house and hopefully locking it in place.

Attack - RAT 7, POW 10 add one die to attacks/damage of non-aoe pistol shots (dropping low on both)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Stoyan's first round (21 vs DEF, hit!) smashes into the thrall's skull. With a wet thump, the foul creatures head (26 vs ARM, just... just all the damage) bursts like a rotten melon.
Can you use your second attack against anything else? If not, Annalise is up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Both her and Stoyan hit home, and it's heartening that it looks like some damage was done to the warjack. The thralls she thinks they can beat back, but that 'jack is the lynchpin of the attack - if only because it seems capable of stopping the boat. Despite her luck so far, she isn't eager to tangle with it head to head, so she moves down the deck before snapping off another shot from her crossbow.

Using a Move action to cross left and hopefully end up with the crate between her and Leviathan to block a straight charge, then Attack on the Leviathan. Crossbow is RAT 6, POW 11 including the Intellectual bonus

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Gr3y posted:

Stoyan's first round (21 vs DEF, hit!) smashes into the thrall's skull. With a wet thump, the foul creatures head (26 vs ARM, just... just all the damage) bursts like a rotten melon.
Can you use your second attack against anything else? If not, Annalise is up.

I believe so, exact wording is "a skilled character gains an additional attack during his activation phase if he chooses to attack that turn." If I get a second target, I guess it's against the next thrall down the line.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Stoyan's second round (triple sixes...) slams into the next thralls chest (11 dmg total) and rips the already decaying form apart spraying most of it back into the river.

Annalise dashes behind a crate and hopes it will provide some protection from the helljack. Her bolt flies true, (15 vs DEF, hit!) the bolt sinks into the machine's torso and something (2 dmg to column 2, carries over to column 3, MOVEMENT BOXED) gives way. The 'jack's legs buckle for a moment before it is able to right itself, but even afterwards one leg dangles useless.

The Leviathan lurches towards Annalise, but the moment it does Scrive thunders into action. The 'jack pounds its way across the deck, and while it is no brawler, six tons of iron and steam is nothing nice. It slams into the cryxian machine like a freight train (11 vs. DEF, hit) and it's first blow (7 damage to column 1, carries over to column 4, Spiker cannon boxed) mangles the helljack's left arm. A follow up clumsy punch (13 vs DEF, hit!) smashes into the carapace (4 dmg to column 1, carries into column 5).

The Leviathan raises it damaged cannon and sprays Scrive with rounds (8 vs DEF, hit!) but something in the weapon is broken (14 vs ARM, nothing) as rounds ricochet off the Docker's hull. Unfortunatly Scrive isn't as lucky as the Leviathan's claw catches it (8 vs ARM, hit!). Scrive tries to block but masive pincer catches both head and wrist in its grasp. Foul smelling smoke jets out of it as it closes, and Scrive's armor gives a horrible screatch as it gives way damaging the arm and rupturing an optic sensor. (9 DMG to column 5, carries to column 6)

The remaining thrall moves towards Stoyan, while two more of its allies begin pulling themselves onto the deck.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

The rending and tearing of metal makes Stoyan nervous. The sound of the collision were pleasing, but he had really hoped the leviathan would be knocked over and not get back up again. From here it sounded like tough fighting, something that wasn't good for his team. To make matters worse another Cryxian was coming over the side. He unloads his pistol into the remaining thralls as he pedals back to the other end of the deckhouse.
He pulls his ammo wheel from its spot in his belt as he begins to reload, and looks up just in time to yell out "Jenkin! Watch your right! Another Thrall"

Actions time!
Attack action - fire one shot at each Thrall
Attack - RAT 7, POW 10 add one die to attacks/damage of non-aoe pistol shots (dropping low on both)

Move action - move back and around the deckhouse, trying to get the opposite corner where I can see the 'Jacks
Quick action - pull my spare ammo wheel from its pouch

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Boy, is she grateful for Scrive's heavy bulk intercepting the Cryxian 'jack before it can reach her. Unfortunately he gets as good as he gives, and she's worried that the laborjack won't hold up well in along scuffle with the warjack, even if the latter is already showing some considerable damage. And however much she appreciates the intervention, she isn't sure what can be done - Annalise isn't optimistic about her axe's chances against even the lighter armor of the Cryxian machine.

First things first, though - keep her comrades alive. She falls back from the stern of the boat, leveling her crossbow at the emerging Thrall and taking a shot at it - if she can't drop the creature, hopefully she'll at least draw its attention off Jevkins. "Watch all the railings! Cut them down before they get on deck!" Hopefully the boat's crew can show a little use in repelling the invaders.

Annalise is going to Move away from the back of the boat, along the railing. This will bring her out from behind her cover, which is intentional - I want to set up for a Charge next round and won't be able to do that with the crate in the way. If the Leviathan comes for me, Scrive will get a Free Strike and hopefully stop it. having repositioned, she will also Attack the Thrall approaching Jevkins.

RAT 6, POW 11, including my bonus.

This is my third shot, so three left in the magazine before I need a reload.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Stoyan's first round (14 vs DEF, hit!) drill into the thrall with explosive force (19 vs. ARM) and sends it right back into the water, minus the contents of its skull. His next shot (19 vs DEF, hit!) smashes into the chest of the thrall on deck but (15 vs ARM, 4 damage) but fails to kill the creature.

Annalise snaps off a shot, (13 vs DEF) and plants an arrow in the thrall's chest (15 vs ARM, 4 damage!).

You still get to issue an order to Scrive too!

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 15, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Whoops, forgot that it was my turn for it!

As Annalise levers the next bolt into her bow, she calls out to to the damaged jack. "Scrive! Take out that thing's claw!"

I don't think Scrive has access to any power attacks, does he? If he does, I'd like him to try and Lock the Leviathan's claw - assuming he doesn't, he should just pound on the 'jack and try to put it down.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Scrive lands two blows but the first (13 vs DEF, hits!) only glances off the helljack's armor (17 vs ARM, no damage), the second (8 vs DEF, hit!) does no better (8 vs ARM, no damage).

The canon the leviathan sprays into Scrive's torso (2 hits, 5 damage to column 3, 1 damage to column 2) riddling the labor jack's legs and side. But the real horror (14 vs DEF, hit!) occurs when it brings its claw to bear on one of Scrive's legs (24 vs ARM, 8 damage to column 2, caries into column 4). The claw crushes through the outer armor with a tortured screech crippling the Docker. (Scrive now has Movement, and Right Arm crippled. One Left arm and one cortex box remain, 5 boxes total).

Annalise barely dodges (13 vs DEF, miss!) the nearest thralls grasping claws. The remaining thrall dashes towards the bow...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Stoyan where are you!

Also, I have just realized that I screwed up my movement. I meant to move right, so that Annalise would end up on the other side of the anchor rope, but that is completely not what I said :downs: I'll walk off the error, but it'll make it hard to save Scrive

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan sizes up the beast of a warjack in front of him, looking for a weak spot, as he exchanges the ammo wheel in his gun for the fresh one. Then he lets two bullets fly, hoping that wherever he hits manages to do some damage to this godforsaken thing, all the while screaming for Scrive to kill the drat bloody thing.

Quick action - exchange ammo wheels
Move - forfeited to aim
attack - two shots at the 'jack, not aiming for any spot in particular.
Rat (7 +2 aim bonus +2 back strike - 4 for firing into melee=7) +3d6 drop low
Pow 10 + 3d6 drop low

Didn't catch the first update, sorry about that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Finding herself face to face with the Thrall, Annalise exchanges her crossbow for her Axe, and sweeps the weapon around in a wide arc, hoping to hack the injured creature to pieces. There's another one closing in on Jevkins from the other side, and Scrive is in serious danger. "Watch out, Jevkins! Your flank!"

Hopefully Stoyan can put enough hurt on the warjack to spare their muscle from being scrapped.

I believe dropping the crossbow is free, so I'l; do that and spend a Quick Action to Draw the Axe. Then I'll Attach the Thrall with the axe:

MAT 6 (-1 on foot, +1 from Intellectual) and POW+STR 8 (only POW3 on foot, +1 from Intellectual)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Stoyan's rounds (17 and 14 vs DEF, both hit!) slam into the helljack's carapace. The first round fails to do much (18 vs ARM, no damage), but the second (19 vs ARM, 1 DMG!) gouges into the machine's right arm.

Scrive's crippled right arm does swats ineffectively into the Leviathan's bulk (11 vs DEF, miss!) but the docker's catches the cryxian's machines head neck in its left ( 14 vs DEF, hit!) and with sickening crunch slams's its own head into the helljack's face (22 vs ARM, 4 DMG!)... In a spray of oil, mercury, and fouler fluids the helljack's head comes apart and it's bulk collapses on the deck.

Annalise brings her axe up sharply, (15 vs DEF, hit!) and nearly splits the thrall in two (18 vs ARM, 7 DMG!). What's left of the creature falls to the deck in a gory pile.

The remaining thrall charges Jevkins (13 vs DEF, hit!) and falls upon the gobber with such fury Jevkins barely has time to scream (16 vs ARM, 12 DMG, Sprials 1,2,3,5,6 gone, 1 point remaining on spiral 4).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Less than a breath after the helljack falls, Stoyan's left arm moves just a little moves almost imperceptibly to the left, firing at the last remaining Thrall and hopefully ending the carnage on deck.

Move = forfeited for aim
Attack - one or two shots at the thrall, rat of 7 +2 for aiming -4 for firing into close quarters combat for a total of 5+3d6 drop low.
pow 10+3d6 drop low
I'll spend a feat point to reroll if a shot misses to keep it from potentially hitting Jevkins. Only take the second shot if I have to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Shucking the remains of the Thrall to the deck, she spins on her heel to survey the rest of the scene. Thank Morrow, Scrive is still standing and the warjack is down, but now Jevkins is in serious trouble. With a shout she leaps to his aid, swinging the axe high to take off the Thrall's head (and avoid nicking the shorter Gobber in the process). Her reactions aren't as quick as Stoyan, so there's a god chance the situation will be solved before she closes the distance. But if not, she'll give the Thrall a new target at least.

Annalise will Charge; MAT 6 (-1 on foot, +1 from Intellectual) and POW+STR 8 (only POW3 on foot, +1 from Intellectual) and Boosted providing that I cover 3" prior to the attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Mist
Stoyan's first spins the thrall around, the second punches a fist size hole through its back. A moment later Annalise is up on it, and sends its head flying into the river. (It is so dead. Deader. You messed it up but good)

For the moment, everything is silent...

• Locked thread