Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If it makes you feel better I struggle with everything past Chapter 4 on Hard. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
To be honest I feel like Normal Classic is the best difficulty for 'I am not good at Fire Emblem and still want to enjoy this', rather than Hard Casual/Newcomer. I speak from personal experience. :v:

Also, is it just me, or is getting RNG screwed way more common in Hard than Normal? My Sully has gained one point of defense in nine levels. Stahl has gotten two points of speed in the same. It's really weird after they both turned into absurd juggernauts from the get-go in my previous Normal run.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Can somebody do a quick calculation for me? My Stahl got a grand total of three Speed level ups between level 2 and promotion, and I'm wondering what the statistical probability of that is.

He has 10 Speed as a Great Knight after a Speedwing. The only reason he's still usable is that he's married to my god-Panne Griffon Rider and triggers her Deliverer.

Speaking of which, is Deliverer as powerful as I think it is? +2 Movement for pairing up (which is already the optimal strategy) on a flying unit seems pretty crazy to me, but I can't say for sure.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Thanks! Now you've got me reminded of Fiona in Fedule's Radiant Dawn LP and how she refused to gain Defense forever, and he'd constantly post the statistical probability of that. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Eugenics post!

I’m looking for some feedback on my eugenics. I have all the DLC except the challenge maps and the explicitly grinding ones. I’m doing this on Normal because of said lack of DLC.

MAvatar (+Mag –Def) / Henry!Cynthia - I think this gives FMorgan the highest combined Mag and Spd caps possible (I was considering Olivia!Lucina with a +Str -Def avatar, though not having access to Dread Fighter kinda bones FMorgan there). More importantly, it makes Henry my father-in-law and that is the Best Thing.

Chrom/Olivia - As irritating as the marriage is to get, Inigo turns into a force of nature with this setup, Lucina is a toss-up compared to Sumia, and Cynthia will turn out better with Henry.

Henry/Sumia - Cynthia is a stupidly good Dark Flier or Sorceror like this and makes FMorgan even scarier.

Stahl/Cordelia - Severa needs offensive procs and Stahl provides Luna or Astra along with great well-rounded caps.

Gregor/Sully - Lack of Galeforce hurts but Gregor provides Axefaire, really good caps and Renewal (along with Armsthrift so I can use Helswath without Infinite Regalia). I’m leaning towards General over Great Knight as a tank/backliner.

Libra/Maribelle - Brady wants access to Sorceror. Henry is busy so only Libra can make him into a Nosferatank.

Ricken/Lissa - It was between Ricken and Virion for Owain and he gets Luna from everybody’s least favourite midget. He’ll be worthless in terms of physical use but he’s a scary backliner Sage.

Vaike/Cherche - I was considering Frederick for superior taxiing, but Axefaire and a positive Speed cap seem more useful to me. Also, Char.

Frederick/Panne - Fred’s class options are worth inflicting his bases on a non-Galeforce kid. Luna alone is pretty good, and he can either go full ham on axes as a Berserker or taxi as a Wyvern Lord.

Kellam/Miriel - this probably looks absurd but it’s the only guy I have left who passes down Priest for Healtouch, and Laurent is a pure staffbot anyway.

Gaius/Tharja - “If you’re serious about your commitment to this army I need you to marry Tharja.”

“…Why?”

“So her daughter
CAN GET GALEFORCE”

In all seriousness Gaius also passes good bases and Vantage so Noire is an even better Nosferatank than Brady.

Donnel/Nowi - my other options were Virion (jesus no) and Lon’qu (jesus no for other reasons). As it stands Galeforce is kinda overkill but I’ll take it, and Renewal is pretty sweet too.

So what do you guys think? Are there any gaping holes or places where another parent would obviously do the job better? Have I forgotten a child somewhere?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

This is explicitly for Apotheosis, sorry if that wasn't clear by my mentioning 'eugenics post'. I'm doing it on Normal to simplify marrying Olivia and to make up for my lack of Golden Gaffe / EXPonential Growth.

I have three files, I can afford to have one super-eugenics setup, one ~waifu-shipping~ save and one for failing miserably at Lunatic.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

This is good because I just read that you can have unlimited A level supports in this game. Gonna ship so hard. :3:

Romantic supports are S ranks now, and they're one-per-character (since they produce children you can recruit later).

Unlimited A ranks is still cool though because you can be best bros with every single awesome guy/gal at once. I can't imagine being forced to pick between supporting Henry and Gregor...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

My Say'ri!Morgan capped every stat except Magic and Res before hitting 20 in Myrmidon. :allears:

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that they didn't give more incentive to ~waifu~ the women who don't produce a child already. The only ones who are worth it are Aversa (because Shadowgift Morgan is the epitome of :shepface:) and maybe Tiki if your convictions outweigh your eugenics (so you don't marry Nowi). Maybe give Say'ri a special Astra+ that does full damage on each attack or something???

Then Anna could get Locktouch+ (steal enemy items), Yen'fay could also get Astra+, Tiki could get a special Wyrmsbane that negates Dragonskin, that sort of thing. I dunno, maybe I am thinking way too hard about how to intensively breed pixels together.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Nah isn't dressed like a stripper and at least has the pretense of trying to act mature even if she isn't. Let's just chalk it up to "it's Japan" along with all the incest and homophobia.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Personally, Hard is exactly the right level of difficulty for me except for same-turn / 'rear end in a top hat' reinforcements (also the high cost of Reeking Boxes making postgame grinding irritating but that's another issue entirely).

Normal should have been Easy, Hard-minus-stupid-reinforcements-and-everyone-has-forged-weapons should have been Normal, Hard should be current Hard but with every enemy having class skills, and Lunatic can go gently caress itself.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Really, my hatred of same-turn reinforcements is intimately linked with my hatred of Maribelle, since she dies to a stiff breeze and I can't afford to have her not healing or she'll never get any experience (then she'll get a two-stat level and :sigh:).

The particular example that stands out to me is Chapter 10, where there are two sets of forts on the exact opposite side of the map from each other, with no warning as to which forts the reinforcements first come from. Turns out it's the ones in the south-west, but you can only find that out on Hard through your suddenly-dead troubadour or cleric.

Getting Mad at Video Games, that's me.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I have massive walls of text sitting on my laptop about what I'd have liked from Awakening / would like from FE14, but I'll sum up the more relevant ones here. I'm assuming the mechanics will stay fairly similar to Awakening though since these ideas were more a what-if romhack-style thing.

- Pair Up bonuses need to be smaller - either remove the extra stats based on the partner's stats, reduce the base bonuses, or reduce the bonuses as you increase Support ranking.

- Support Bonuses need to have a lower cap, preferably 7ish, to discourage lumping all your units in a big blob and Death Starring the entire game.

- Dual Attacks and Dual Guard need lower activation rates - preferably, no chance at all without a Support rank. I don't think Dual Guards should make the guarding unit take damage, but make it something like 'damage is reduced by the guarding unit's Def/Res' rather than outright nullification.

- Units which aren't Paired Up can't Dual Attack or Dual Block, since all that does is throw in extra RNG (which is unilaterally to the player's benefit, too).

- Archers need 1 range, whether it's from a skill or an innate part of bows. Legolas does just fine at close-quarters combat, why can't Fire Emblem archers? :colbert:

- Give Nosferatu and its derivatives a Skillx2% activation rate. Now Dark Mages having poo poo Skill is actually an issue rather than 'good thing I have Anathema' (which on a side note should probably be an enemy-only skill, making it a Hex+ of sorts. I had a lot of :words: about reorganising skills in aforementioned walls of text, but I'll leave them out for now).

- Galeforce needs to go, preferably replaced with Shadowgift or maybe Canto. I think Canto can be balanced, as long as it's not an innate thing and it's equal-opportunity after the character gets it (as well as being available for both genders, preferably).

- Bring back playable Soldiers. Enough said. :colbert:

- A more progressive approach to character relationships would be nice. Biowaresexuality is overkill, but I don't think it would hurt to have some characters with varying orientations who aren't there for throwaway gags.

e: nearly forgot

- Interesting loving map design from start to finish. Chapter 24 is the worst offender here in Awakening - you're climbing a goddamn holy mountain being attacked by Risen, so naturally it's...a plain with some trees, and a few forts. :effort:

You know what it should have been? Raging waterfalls, sheer cliffs, aerial space and massive height differentials as you battled your way up a mountainside to reach Naga's temple. Hell, have sections of the map crumble to bits as Grima attacks you on the way up. Do the same with 25, with massive AoE damage being inflicted as Grima indiscriminately bathes the battlefield in corruption as you race towards Aversa as fast as you can. In general, drop the empty-room designs that plague every chapter after 18.

- Similarly, different map objectives. Chapter 6 should have been a Defend map, even it was in spirit at least. 7 could have been a perfect Escape map. Seize Throne isn't necessary when Defeat Commander does the same thing but simpler, but why not the other map types? Rout and Defeat Commander are fine objectives, but they get tedious when there isn't anything else going on.

I have a lot to say about how Awakening's mid- and end-game could have been improved, but that's outside the scope of this particular topic. I may post it some other time when the :spergin: strikes me.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 11, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ricken!Laurent + Female Avatar gives you the character with the highest Magic cap.

Vaike!Gerome + Female Avatar gives you the character with the highest Strength cap.

Playing a Male Avatar and marrying either Miriel or Cherche (or any of the first-generation mothers) will give you two children who are both really good, though, so I tend to do that rather than mess around with marrying the second generation.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Re: Lucina's mom

Marrying Chrom to the Avatar is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Your self-insert just stole the main character and had his babies. You monster.

- Morgan/Lucina sibling support sucks and is bad.

Marrying Chrom to Olivia is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Chrom does not call Cynthia his pega-pony-princess.

- Lucina cannot marry the Best Dude since he's her brother.

Marrying Chrom to Maribelle is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Haha, you're using Maribelle.

- Brady without blonde hair looks absolutely ridiculous.

Marrying Chrom to Sumia is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- No Lucina/Cynthia non-sibling support ("SHINE FORTH, LIGHT OF JUSTICE!").

- Henry is not the Best Dad for the Best Girl.

Marrying Chrom to Sully is a Good Right Thing for the following reasons:

- gently caress Galeforce.

- Sully is the Queen of Badass and Kjelle the Princess of Being a Dick.

Therefore, marrying Chrom to anyone but Sully is badwrongfun. QED. :colbert:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 27, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Davincie posted:

I managed to marry my kid (Owain) with his cousin on accident (Cynthia), they just fit too well together and I forgot they were family!

Yeah, I was working out my ~optimal pairings~ like the :spergin: I am and I kept having to mentally remind myself not to S-rank them.

I pair them up 110% of the time if Chrom marries Olivia someone other than Sumia, though (haha I mean Olivia who the gently caress else would you have him marry).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I only let the men who aren't part of my glorious eugenics experiment die. :shepface:

Seriously though, I never let people die. Since I am awful but not awful enough to play Normal (or Casual), this means lots o' grinding on Hard Classic, and generally just not using anybody except Chrom + MU for the actual story battles. :effort:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

No, Goon Chrom is the one who marries Olivia. Have him avoid all women until he meets the shiest, vulnerable one with the least clothing and immediately propose to her.

And of course, it's the marriage with the 'best' statistical mods on it. :japan:

Similarly, marrying the Avatar to the yandere creep that gets people to steal your hair and watches you sleep is also 'optimal'.

The other 'optimal' choices are :hellyeah: and :reddit: respectively. Oh, IntSys.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The trade-offs are access to the Cleric and Knight trees from Sumia or access to the Myrmidon tree from Olivia.

One of the other relevant things is that Inigo/Lucina is a really, really good S-rank pairing if you're trying to get 100% Dual Strike activation rates.

My personal opinion is that Chrom/Olivia is best if you're doing Avatar/Lucina (for maximum protagonist gooniness) and that Chrom/Sumia is better if you're marrying a first gen character.

(Writin' words about video game eugenics :toot:)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Actually, you guys caught me at a good time, so I'm gonna make a BREEDING PROGRAM MEGAPOST for all the people who want more advice than 'marry who you like'. :spergin:

Ground rules:

- This stuff is completely unnecessary except for Apotheosis.
- Everyone wants Galeforce. Other gender-specific skills are barely relevant excluding Axefaire, so I won't talk about them much.
- Everyone wants Limit Breaker, and Aggressor if they're male.
- Everyone wants some sort of damage-boosting skill. Luna's the best, followed by Astra. Aether and Ignis are both slightly better than Luna, generally.
- I'm assuming you want to min-max everyone rather than any specific character - go to Serenes Forest if you want to beat Apotheosis with three characters using Maribelle!Lucina!Morgan or whatever.

Terminology:

Mods: Stat modifiers of an individual character. Two characters of the same class will have different maximum stats depending on these.
Character A!Character B: Character B as the child of Character A. For example, Maribelle!Lucina!Morgan is a Morgan whose mother is Lucina, and Lucina's mother was Maribelle.

To be full-on :spergin: efficient, you have to play a male Avatar. A female Avatar means only having one overpowered-as-hell child rather than two, unless you're marrying Chrom - but Chrom/Avatar means using two of your best characters on the same two children, rather than giving four kids great options. Female Avatar can also marry a second-generation character but having two god-children is still better.

There are three mothers with female children who don't have the Pegasus Knight class - Tharja, Nowi, and Sully. There are two fathers who pass down Pegasus Knight to female children, rather than their male-exclusive classes - Donnel and Gaius. The most efficient choice of marriage, then, is one of those three mothers, with your Asset and Flaw chosen to match.

Marrying Sully is the least min-maxed of the three, since Kjelle has access to 4 classes regardless of her father already - you're somewhat wasting the Avatar's access to every class on her. If you do want to marry her, go +Speed -Defence, so that Morgan and Kjelle are both blazingly fast little buggers with great class selections.

Marrying Nowi will get you on an FBI watchlist, but also produces a pair of Manakete children. Galeforce is kinda meh on Manaketes anyway since you're generally using them to tank, though. Nowi's stat mods are good but she will tank your kids' Speed, so it's best to do something like +Defence -Speed in order to play to their strengths.

Marrying Tharja is the most effective since she has crazy Magic and Speed mods but her default class choices are pretty awful - Dark Mage, Knight and Archer. An Avatar here wants to go +Magic -Defence so that Noire and Morgan are absolute magical shitwreckers.

Of the other two, I tend to go Gaius/Sully, since Gaius' Speed mod is wasted on Nowi, and Donnel/Nowi, since Donnel's mediocre mods balance out with the Dragonstone's bonuses.

Chrom's waifu

If we're talking proper efficiency your only choices are between Olivia and Sumia. Sully doesn't give her kids Galeforce, female Avatar has already been discussed, and Maribelle is poo poo unsuited to Chrom if we're not trying to produce some sort of Morgan Voltron.

Olivia gives Lucina better physical mods and access to the Myrmidon tree for Vantage and Swordfaire. Chrom gives Inigo access to Rightful King and the Cavalier tree. Sumia gives Lucina access to the Knight and Cleric trees, so she gets Pavise and Renewal. Chrom gives Cynthia access to Aether and the Cavalier tree.

Overall, Olivia is a slightly better choice, but it's close enough that I can't really argue it either way.

Everyone else

This is going to be a list, in chronological order, of the female characters and who their 'best' marriage candidates are, excluding ones mentioned above. This is relatively flexible, since at best you'll still have three male characters unmarried.

Lissa: Henry or Ricken. Henry gives access to Dark Mage, but cripples Owain's Speed. Ricken provides Luna and crazy Magic but his other class choices are awful.

Miriel: Ricken or Gregor. Ricken!Laurent has the highest non-Avatar related Magic stat in the game, while Gregor gives him Armsthrift, which is helpful on a Valflame-toting staffbot.

Sumia: If not Chrom, Henry. Henry sorta tanks Cynthia's Speed, but she's still a phenomenal Dark Flier / Sorcerer and the class options are amazing.

Maribelle: Libra or Ricken. Libra gives Dark Magic. Ricken gives Luna. Take your pick.

Panne: Stahl or Frederick. Stahl provides amazing class choices and good mods, but he's better used elsewhere. Frederick is kind of a poor man's Stahl, but when your child can't get Galeforce, sacrifices have to be made.

Cordelia: Stahl or Lon'qu. Stahl gives Cordelia literally everything Severa would want - Vantage, Luna, Swordfaire and great physical mods. Lon'qu doesn't provide Luna but offers great Speed and still has Vantage and Swordfaire to offer.

Olivia: If not Chrom, Lon'qu. Inigo gets almost everything he wants from Olivia anyway, so maximising Speed is a good idea. Gregor is also viable but his mods just aren't as good.

Cherche: Vaike. Vaike!Gerome has an absolutely terrifying Strength mod, and since he can never get Galeforce, his other stats are nearly irrelevant. Gerome gets most of the skills he needs from his mother anyway.

----

Of course, there's further depths to be plunged than this, but I've already put far too much effort into posting about video game incest. :v: Hope this helps!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Look what I found! :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erl3xpL3w5w

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's 15. He starts as a level 10 Merc, and Sol is Hero level 5.

There's nothing stopping you from promoting him immediately, if you want.

I wouldn't because I am a hopeless sperg who grinds everyone up to 20 every time, but a sensible person uses him like Gerik (except Gerik was a boring overpowered character, while Gregor is interesting but not all that strong).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I bought that before I bought FE:A.. I played about 3 hours and loaned it away. Very overrated.

Unacceptable. :colbert:

(Bravely Default is very much a JRPG and does all the things, good and bad, a JRPG does, it's okay to not like it)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

So is Robin in Good or Mid (in your opinion)?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

General Morden posted:

but howd they have children

maybe they're (biologically) their sisters, given that their parents are pretty much the same age as them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

more importantly, Have Fun

i'm going to go ahead and assume you're on normal - the game is piss easy and you don't need to screw around with anything even remotely resembling optimisation. Have Fun

even if you're on hard you still don't need to plot out eugenics for your army of children. Have Fun

• Locked thread