Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Or that it's just an artstyle. Seriously why are people hung up on that?

I don't know that people are hung up on it but it's an odd style. It just stands out is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SC Bracer posted:

I made a terrible mistake in getting the demo. Feb 4 is too far awaaaayyy

This is how I'm feelin' too. The demo is just long enough to make you want to keep going but too short to really see anything of note. It's frustrating!!

I did notice that Normal felt really easy, though these do seem to be the introductory levels. I plan on using Casual anyway (for that Shining Force experience!) so I might try it on Hard instead.

EDIT: also the stat gains seem pretty big in this game. Both Chrom and MU got 5-6 stats on level up. MU got 6 and said "Sometimes I surprise even myself!" Yeah, no poo poo dude.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 18, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

theshim posted:

Thanks to my totally awesome friends, I now have a 3DS XL, and downloaded and played the demo.

My god, this game is beautiful. Everything is so crisp and pretty, the FMVs are staggeringly well done, and my god I cannot wait for February 4th. Going to try Hard and then Lunatic later (Normal was almost disappointingly easy, no one ever took more than 4 damage a hit).

High fives brother, I got my XL for this too and I was totally sold by the demo. The whole thing just screams 'polish' to me. It's been said a hundred times in the last few pages but yeah, Feb 4 can't come soon enough.

I've decided based on the demo that Lunatic or whatever the top difficulty is far too high for me but Hard seems like it might present a challenge. Normal is way too easy I agree. I will be playing Casual for sure though. I'm one of those who likes FE in spite of permadeath, not because so that works out well for me.

I read a bit ago they changed growths for the western release; do we know what was changed exactly?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Now if only everyone didn't have weird stumpy hoof feet in this game.

I think that says a lot about the game so far though - that of all the things that could be wrong that's what we're all on right now. It's an odd art style to be sure but in the scheme of things I don't think anyone will really notice a few maps in.

Goddamn it I want the game now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

The art style definitely reminds me of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song.

Yeah, that's what struck me too.

I know that stat talk is usually met with "That's Fire Emblem! :v:" but the growths really do feel huge in this game. I'm finished my fifth playthrough on Hard and the least anyone gained was 3 stats and I had more 6-7 stat ups than not. I haven't seen the +2 HP others have talked about and so far my best run for the MU was Mag good Res bad. I had some hilarious moments of Pair Up'ing Chrom and MU and watching them quad attack everything once they got up to 9 SPD, bosses included.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
One thing that was kind of surprising is that the "Jeigan Decoy" tactic didn't work in the demo. I unequipped Fredrick to do exactly that and if anyone else was in range he was ignored every single time, at least on Hard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they removed "Can't counter-attack" from the AI's priority list. They're now fully suicidal, bent on making you reset by any means necessary.

I see, I never really decoyed much in 12 because some of the units you get are really good early on, with MU being the pinnacle of that. I found it more necessary in 10 especially during the Dawn Brigade chapters so that's where I really abused it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I normally play with it off but the 3D in this game is really quite good. I don't know how long my eyes could take it without hurting but the depth is really impressive with the slider all the way up. It makes the battle scenes feel even more dynamic somehow. I might give it a shot with the 3D on when I start playing the retail version.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Fisher King posted:

I don't know whether to download the demo and have a fun but subjectively longer wait, or just wait until February and dive in head first.

Well, it's a great demo for sure. But I've been replaying it over and over trying different things and I think the demo will run out before the wait does. Two weeks is too long dammit!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a delay on this game now? I checked my Amazon order and there was a notice that a Manufacturer delay was leading to a delay on their part. The expected arrival date was 2/6, but normally with Prime shipping they do release date. I really don't want to wait any longer for this game than I have to!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azran posted:

Can't stop watching videos of this game. :ohdear:

One of the translation fan patchs for FE4 tried to rename class names and weapons closer to the modern standard (Social Knight = Cavalier, Resire = Nosferatu, Relive = Mend, etc) but it also tried to rename Siglud to Zigludo and Celice to Serlis. :v:

What I'm trying to say is - I support Nintendo's localization.

I can't stop watching videos either. I'm trying to do exactly that so I don't get burned out before I ever get the game proper. It's exciting because it looks like a "bottomless" game. Tons of optional stuff and grinding opportunities exist and I can create perfect characters and then DLC to burn through too. So exciting. For the DLC, are we getting some of the character DLC at launch or will that be a timed release?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I hope its not a fighting game and that's all I can really say about that. :psyduck:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Has there been any confirmation/deconfirmation that they'll bring the DLC of Japan-only characters (IE: Characters from 2, 4, 5, and 6, 12) over to America? There's not much/any dialogue, so it's not like translating would be a problem, and I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've seen companies make weirder decisions.

If we don't get Draken-Roy I'm gonna be so non-plussed!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mordecai posted:

I have a couple questions since these mechanics are totally new to me. I've only played the Wii game and a bit of the GBA ones.

Is there a non-spoiler source for these base stats? I tried looking on Wikia but they haven't invented spoiler tags there. Also for who can support, unless that's viewable ingame.

If I want to keep the Avatar versatile, what would be a good stat to neglect? Can I get by on just one of Skill or Luck?

I think the best combo for blaanced growth is +res/-luck. It gives you 50 for the main attack stats and the lowest growth is 40 for Res/Def. I also like +SPD/-RES for higher combat stat growth, though your res will take a giant dump to about 20%. However, Luck and Speed growths will be so high you'll rarely get hit.

EDIT: I've been using this: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth_all.html - just play with the drop down boxes at the top and check the growths for MU. You don't have to scroll any further than that. The rest is just names.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 26, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I'm going to man up and pussy out by playing Hard Casual. Still gonna reset whenever someone dies, though, it's mainly for the save function.

That was my decision as well. Hard will still punish you if you're extra stupid (at least early on) but it's not hair-pulling frustrating either. The save just ices it for me too. And I wont feel like savescumming if I lose someone during a battle, which frankly is the most frustrating thing about Fire Emblem to me anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is casual and classic a toggle-able thing or a one-time choice at the start? If it's something you only pick at the beginning I might just have to play on casual. I can't see myself playing Katarina's dlc with permanent death.

I figure you can just pop it on and then play any way you want. You can still ape the feel of Classic by not battle saving and resetting any time you lose a dude I guess. Or just letting them die and taking them out of rotation for the rest of the game, I dunno. I am super glad they included the option, personally!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slate Action posted:

I'm probably gonna go Casual if just to avoid the teeth-grinding irritation of "someone dies an hour into a map and on the second attempt everyone gets significantly worse levels."

Yeah, I'm doing it for a number of reasons as well, including that and the ability to scum for levelups if I want to. I'm weak so I will probably do that often if the Fire Emblem gods are cruel. Though, given my experience with the demo I've had a good level/bad level ratio of about 10:1. Growths seem so high in Awakening. 6-7 stat ups on MU or Chrom were not uncommon on some playthroughs.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bloomington posted:

This is the best possible timing, I called my EB games up and they can sell it and the street date is lifted and I have the next 2 days off and :unsmigghh:

Oh my, please post if you get it. I'd like to know. I might have to cancel my Amazon order! :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terper posted:

Who wants another trailer??? Because here is one. Character progression!

Two things; first, music rocks. Second, Nowi spotted around 3:00!

I'm so jealous of my Canadian buddies. I want to play so bad!!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terper posted:

It's from Old Man Hubba, the fortune teller. It's a silly little thing where you pair up two units and then a random thing is said about them. Has no bearing on actual plot or characters.

Like this.

Every day something else comes along and makes me love the game a little more.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slate Action posted:

This is excellent.

I can't believe it, I normally don't like to get this hyped but this game is just not showing me any flaws. (Besides those couple of character designs, yeah.)

I don't know what I'm going to do about my Amazon pre-order; it's still saying I should get it on 2/6, and I guess I'm willing to wait 2 extra days for a physical copy...

I'm in the same boat with Amazon. If local stores are breaking street date though, I may cancel and grab one at Gamestop. I emailed Amazon support to ask about the street date stuff and they insisted it would ship on 2/4 and arrive 2/6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sgriosadair posted:

I've pre-ordered from Amazon a lot in the past (I'm a prime member) and it does arrive on day of release if you get "release day" delivery.

Fire Emblem does not have it. In fact, they are advertising delays. I'm a Prime member which means I just default to 'release day' and unfortunately it just isn't in the cards this time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

One little UI thing I really like is that you can choose to see the range of all enemies, which shows up in pink, then look at the ranges of specific enemies inside that, which show up in red. It's handy.

What's the story about changing map BGMs? I noticed it in the demo option menu but it was greyed out there. Is it SRW style where you can just change whatever or only in certain maps?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

JackDarko posted:

Getting it the next day is totally fine by me, as long as we don't end up waiting a week.

Yeah, it looks like they are treating 2/4 as the ship date and everything goes from there. I'm like little kid excited so any waiting is hard :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I'm reading the US street date stuff was a mistake and it's not officially going on sale til 2/4. Is that the case or is it actually out? I've heard some Bestbuys are doing it early and Gamestops as well but other stories have them refusing to sell til the fourth.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well drat, I checked my local gamestop and they had it but wouldn't sell it. Street date is back on I guess.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SC Bracer posted:

If you really want it now and now alone just have then look at their store informer; hopefully they'll sell. There isn't a street date of any kind.

I have two Gamestops within a mile of eachother here in town and was told by the managers of both that they were issued some order to maintain the "street date" of 2/4. So I don't know. Amazon is also holding to that as well so at least in the US, there may be a street date.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My gut feeling here is that it might be better to reclass ASAP, because then you'll be storing less levels and thus your EXP gains will be hampered less in your new class, but I don't know exactly how that stored levels system works so I could be completely off here. Another factor would be whether the class you're in has growths that complement your end vision for the character.

I was told it's better to hold off longer on reclassing, at least early on, because class change items are expensive. If you don't do the extra grinding you wont have the extra money to keep up. That apparently changes lategame though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

The Marth DLC is now available to me. It's 2.50$, but it's free until 3/6/

So is the game all its cracked up to be now that you've had a chance to dig into it? From the outside looking in, it seems like the perfect Fire Emblem experience.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

9 chapters in and it's fantastic. Pairing Up feels incredibly natural, and the game has more flavor then any FE game since PoR.

I was kinda skeptical about the writing going in, but the localization is great and I'm enjoying pretty much every character. I like anime normally though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Also Sully is probably one of my favorite characters in the series, everything she says is amazing.

e: So far, the only real flaw is that reclassing kinda just throws you in the water and expects you to swim. Without checking SF (and I'm going blind my first playthrough), it's hard to know when or what to change into.

You lucky duckies and your early release copies are getting me all excited! I also have a high anime-tolerance so that sounds pretty good. Despite the flaws everything I've seen points to near perfection so I kind of have ants in my pants waiting for next week. :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zore posted:

They changed their policy so if they have the game in stock they'll sell it to you today, they just mostly won't be getting it in stock until monday. At least that was the case with my local store.

One of my local Best Buys said they would sell it but were sold out. The other one claimed they wouldn't sell until 2/4. Kinda irritable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Best Buy's website is showing 2/1/13 as the release date but availability still shows "Preorder now!". I hate getting my hopes up over and over but I'm going to go see if it's true anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

I can confirm that, at least for the Best Buy at Galleria Mall in Cambridge MA, that it was an error on the website.

Yeah, same here (NW Louisiana). It seems they haven't received their shipments yet. I get the feeling there was a weird underestimation of demand and a real ball-drop on street date and shipping. It's nearly a moot point now but it's been interesting to watch!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's so weird though, I just checked a Target I lived near just because I didn't have any better way to kill an hour and they didn't have any copies, which isn't surprising in of itself but their website says they're completely sold out online and within 100 miles of here.

I get the feeling it's listed for sale but no one has their shipments yet. Amazon is still advertising shipping delays and with the Gamestop "Not in until 2/8" rumors, that's where I've landed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Is there any actual grounding to this or is it just people fearing the worst off of baseless assumptions?

I think it's a shipment issue. None of the stores near me are broadcasting that but I have a buddy in Texas who was told that by a Gamestop employee. Nintendo may not have been counting on so many people wanting a physical copy and expected the eShop to do most of the business.

But I guess we wont really know til we know.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Do you mean pairing them up for stat gains, or pairing them up and hoping for dual attacks? Because the latter was never very reliable, but pairing Donnel up with Vaike and other strong offensive units was the only way he could do enough damage to kill people. You can also give them the Glass Weapons, which are pretty useful for training low level characters.

If you unlock Rally skills, does that make them more formidable? How much experience do you get for Rallying?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

JackDarko posted:

I hope everyone is ready to immediately post when Amazon ships them their copy. Friends have to be there for each other in their times of need!

Roger that, brother! I emailed their support to ask about how they were handling the odd street date and retail store leaks and they maintain that orders will be shipped out on 2/4. No release date shipping for us, unfortunately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DrManiac posted:

I already canceled my amazon order beacuse I don't want to wait 3 more days.

I'm really agonizing over that myself but I want a physical copy of the game. With all the confusion over shipping and who has what (or doesn't) I don't want to cancel, go to a store, find they don't have it and then not get it for another week because it's backordered.

But the eShop seems so convenient too...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Fisher King posted:

Wait, why are people talking Tuesday now? When I pre ordered, I was told Monday, February 4th. The clerk even commented on how odd it was that it wasn't releasing on Sunday.

Now folks here and at Gamestop are saying Tuesday. The Gamestop folks are even pretending that it's been Tuesday the whole time.

It's likely the ship date is 2/4 for many stores so they wont have it til 2/5. Amazon has advertised manufacturer delays and they aren't shipping til 2/4 either so I assume very few stores have their copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Fisher King posted:

It just pisses me off because I put down the full $200 up front to have the bundle by the 4th, then find out half the country got it early, and now I find out that I'm likely going to get it the same day as if I'd ordered on Amazon. At least then I wouldn't have to spend the gas driving around town.

Amazon isn't doing release date shipping for the title. I'm a Prime member and normally the free two day shipping would be release date but instead I have to wait until Wednesday afternoon if I keep my order. Something tells me Nintendo really under-anticipated demand for physical copies and just assumed everyone would eShop it or something.

EDIT: I'm also super annoyed at the "some get it some don't" thing of the last week so I totally get your frustration.

EDIT2:

Ryanbomber posted:

Considering the game was accidentally announced by someone cornering Reggie, I think they under-anticipated demand in general :v:

Yeah, we got a Twitter announcement I think? I really hope Nintendo feels awful silly about that given the response Awakening is getting now.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 3, 2013

• Locked thread