Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

nacon posted:

I'd just be happy with some more armor/helmets/color schemes so I can continue to play badass-soldier-dressup.
Yeah, this is pretty much the only reason why I even bought the Slingshot mission pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that despite Solomon getting surprised regarding a lot of things that X-COM players take for granted I have to give him props for actually listening to the fans instead of pulling a Bioware style whine regarding how the players don't understand their vision. It's a rare thing nowadays, unfortunatly.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Veotax posted:

Giant Bomb has a 24 minute video preview of The Bureau. Looks rather interesting as it's own thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEh6NnLPUUs
Every time I look at the protagonist I can't help feeling that you are playing as Archer.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Ok, that was pretty funny. Stupid, but funny.
The Archer vibe I get from the game just got even stronger for me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Interesting, it appears that something called Xcom: Enemy Within was sighted in the registry of Steam. I hope that this little bit of info is true since that would mean some eventual expansion goodness is on it's way once The Bureau is released.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm really hoping that the Enemy Within subtitle means that we'll get to contend with hostile human squads, armed with alien weaponry from defected countries working in tandem with the alien forces.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

This was totally a thing in Apocalypse.
The Cult of Sirius was my best friend in Apocalypse. I treated them like Xcom's piggybank. I threw in some hot lead and cooked grenades and out came soldiers with combat experience, loot and cash. By the end of the game I almost felt sorry for them, since I had them so far into the red that they would never really recover from it.

But then I remembered that they were filthy alien worshipers and sent a few hovercars to bomb their church into oblivion for the third time that month :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

MechPlasma posted:

There's a joke about German women somewhere in here.
Isn't Vahlen supposed to be Israeli?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

XCOM just doesn't understand how armour works :(
Hey, when you are a genejacked ubermensch you can wear your armour however you drat well please :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

quiggy posted:

Remember that you don't have to do council missions, the penalty is just no reward + increased panic.
Does this apply to the Slingshot missions as well, since the second mission is just pure bullshit considering how early it fires off in the game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

The missions in it aren't what you'd hope for in a mission pack. If 7 bucks is enough to justify GI Joe dress up, then grab it. If not, wait until it goes on sale again and get it for 3.
Yeah, I bought Slingshot because it gave me more options to dress up my soldiers. I've tried out the Slingshot missions one and decided that they were pretty badly balanced against the full game and then skipped them on every following playthrough after that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that it's kind of funny how some of the discussions this thread in general has gone from:
"What do you mean I can't send a squad of 10 newbies out to die like lemmings in a meatgrinder? :byodood:"

to

"Omigosh, do you mean that they need to cut off the arms and legs of my poor soldier if they are going to be a mech? :ohdear:"

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I still feel that the Alloy Cannon should have been in anentire weapon tier of it's own, preferably after plasma. It would have suited the whole "reverse engineer alien tech and make it our own" angle that XCOM is going for.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

I just had a thin-man poison one of my downed soldiers, the cheeky little gently caress.
Welcome to the esteemed brotherhood of "gently caress Thin Men"! You are but one of many here, brother.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'd drop 5$ for a heavy that sounded like TF2s heavy weapon guy. It's too bad the localization voices is what's getting pushed through and not heavily accented ones.
So, I take it that the Scandinavian countries won't be getting their own voice pack or Firaxis will just use soundclips from the Swedish Chef?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm not surprised since what I've seen of the MEC troopers tells me that they easily will be dominating the early and mid game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since I managed to get myself into a failure cascade on my first EW I decided to try out something different and not set my base in Europe. Do anyone have some pointers for what should be a better basesite than Europe?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

North America has an easier month 1 due to the extra cash you start with and cheap Interceptors letting you cover the globe quickly. It's also easy to kit out Interceptors with the newest weapons.

Asia's another really solid choice since the savings from the Officer Training School and Foundry are huge and easily total over $1000 funbucks in total.
I wasn't aware that the Asia bonus gave discounts to the foundry upgrades as well! I guess that it makes Asia quite a nice basesite considering how much stuff got added to the Foundry. Do the North America bonus have any other "hidden" effects like that?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamn, I love the MEC punch way too much. I probably should try out the flamethrower but it's just so goddamn cathartic to punch a thin man straight through a wall and into his buddies.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, since I went with North America as my basesite in my new EW Classic playthrough I just wondered if it's worth it to start buying and placing Interceptors around the globe in order to blast as many U.F.O's as possible for a better score or should I only bother once I've sent up a few satellites?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I've always turned off the slingshot content because of the terrible missions in it but I might go for it this time since I feel that the MEC's is enough to turn it around, despite using ballistic weapons.

EDIT:Holy crap! The range penalty for Reaper rounds only affect the minimum range penalty of a sniper rifle? This changes so many things!

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 26, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Exo-Squad(Which I think WAS a toy). Or maybe Ulysses 31. Or, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. It's not impossible for a cartoon series to be serious, or even dark as gently caress, whilst still being heroic.
Off-topic but thanks for reminding me of being six years old and watching these shows on the SKY channel during my saturday and sunday mornings. Those were good times..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Five Penny Coin posted:

Am I the only one not using Mimetic skin because it just downright feels like cheating?
Only until you meet Thin Men. Then you take every advantage possible to gently caress them up.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I thought Mutons only threw grenades if it could hit more than one person, but I had one throw a grenade at a single dude who was next to a MELD canister. I hope that was a deliberate move by the AI and not a fluke because that was supremely, excellently dickish.
I also believe that it's a new behaviour since Sectoids tend to cluster around Meld canisters all the time in my game, which makes dislodging them without blowing the Meld sky hig pretty much impossible..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamn, gently caress the capturing mechanic. I've had 10+ capture attemts fail in consecutive order, even when they've been at least at 3 pips of health.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Spudd posted:

Maybe we'll get plasma infused bullets so we can use dakka dakka guns late game.
I'm actually hoping that we'll get a human only venue of weapon research this time. The first game had the Alloy Cannon, which made it so drat weird why Firaxis didn't include an entire Alloy weaponline, in order to run with the theme that we are turning the aliens technology into our own.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Friendly Mutons could just be like the rock trolls from Witcher 3. :3
"If you don't go bash-bash on those snakyladies, daddy Branford is going to swish-swish you!"

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, February feels so drat far away right now..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Sci-Fi authors making forays into metaphysics always seems to turn out poorly. It's just a bunch of rear end-pulling presented as the meaning of life.
Thank you, I've been thinking this for years but it seems that the majority of Sci-Fi authors doesn't seem to get the hint, unfortunatly.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Here's my own crazy theory: The avatar project is the merging of humans with Ethereals to achieve godhood and the intro tutorial is XCOM freeing the Commander from an alien lab where he's being held as a candidate (because he's a super psyker). The fifth class will be other freed super psykers and they can only be obtained from very difficult and rare missions, doing so will set the avatar project back by quite a bit. The game will do a lot to paint the Commander as special and humanity's last hope because a lot of games these days like to play up to the power fantasies of its players.
Considering that pretty much every alien race from the first game has been "upgraded" with human DNA, I wouldn't be too surprised either if the Avatar project is a merging of human and Ethereal into a new kind of super psionic being, that if completed is strong enough to stop all kind of human resistance by itself.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Hey Beagle, do you have an E.T.A on the "Hands on with Xcom 2" video? The Soon sign is driving me batty.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Not a Step posted:

I think it replaces the Doom Counter (countries that withdraw from XCOM) from the first game. If the track reaches full the Ethereals became all powerful or something. I noticed in Beagle's videos that the second mission set back progress by 1 on Avatar, so I guess you can harass and set back the Doom Tracker to offset alien progress. Like retaking countries in Long War.
In one of the developer videos they also stated that you could slow the Avatar project counter but never get it into a complete halt, so no more artificially dragging out the endgame.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Hey Beagle, are there any reprecussions for using grenades or rockets this time around or are we free to let the grenades fly without our resident headscientist bitching in our headpiece?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fangz posted:

Maybe this was back when Space Hulk was still in the works and they didn't want to have two competing products?

They've actually released a number of similar games, mostly focused on mobile though.
IIRC I read an interview where it basically states that GW has pretty much taken off all the brakes when it comes to farming out their IP to different developers, presumably because GW is in desperate need of something that can keep their horribly mismanaged company afloat.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I'm going to miss fatigue, I think. I liked having to have several squads, and while it meant a lot of my soldiers felt kind of samey, it also meant that the ones I remembered really stood out to me.
I always thought that being fatigued for 4-5 days after a mission was a bit over the top with the Long War (although it's hardly the only thing I don't like about the mod).

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, those of you whining about that "Xcom lost the war" canonwise would have had a loving rage episode if you read in the Xcom: Apocalypse manual how Terror from the Deep ended, your squad that assaulted T'leth died trying to get out while earth is transformed into a toxic wasteland due the fallout from the explosion

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ikanreed posted:

It makes me sad this is a dystopian future-city based game, but we don't get to see any of the xcomapoc aliens.
Good, let those awful claymation turds remain forgotten in the mists of time.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Just implement that Stargate one-man body force field that blocks anything coming in over a certain speed. Bam, projectile weapons useless (except for maybe bow & arrow) and swords are instantly favorable.
Wasn't it Dune that had the velocity based body shield?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jetamo posted:

Vaguely related, but the Long War mod devs have announced their own studio and the fact they're working on their own Earth-vs-aliens strategy game.

So probably not gonna be a Long War mod by them for XCOM 2.
Whelp, I can't really see this end well but good for them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

This is also likely.
Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be some kind of Psi-soldier that's locked behind plot and/or research which would explain why Firaxis haven't released any info on it.

• Locked thread