Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So Im just now starting a LW EW game. Normally I put 1 bird on each continent to shoot down UFOS - Im considering putting all my early satellites and birds on one continent to make a Fortress America, and expand outwards from there. Is that a worthwhile strategy? I got nervous when my first bird got shot down in 2 seconds, poo poo's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just started playing again after 6 months, and its the first time I've done EW or LW. Just cleaned out the whale mission. Its awesome.

Given that I'm using an LW mod from like 6 months ago, should I download the most recent version? Would it make my current game inoperable?

Also, hella interested in the .ini mods. Ive never used them, so having a drag and drop in notepad would be very helpful.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You are a saint.

How would I check what version of LW I have?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, so.

Ive installed the most recent long war and ini mod, and its mostly working. Just completed Confounding Light for the first time, which was fun.

Now, I am experiencing some weirdness, and Im not sure if its cause Im using an updated save, or something else. Every now and then I get a new mission, and it doesn't show me my team - I have to click them manually. (That might be a feature not a bug). When I do click the team, most of the time it launches normally. About 1/3 of the time, it doesnt show one of my troopers (I can click their inventory but not see them), and when I launch, it does the flight sequence, but doesn't load the map. It's just a blue cursor on a field of black.

Any suggestions?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Segmentation Fault posted:

Having a clean slate when you start a mission is a long war feature.

As for the missing soldier and the hanging black screen, that sounds like a model failing to load. Did you save a backup of defaultgamecore.ini?

Yes, I did.

I just checked the recruit costs in game, and they are still 25, so I'm wondering if the ini mod didn't take.

edit: I put in the backup ini, same results.

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CharlestheHammer posted:

did you edit the new ini's name?

You can't just copy and paste it. As it is named differently.

Yup. It did the 'move and replace' pop up and everything.

edit: Ive checked using both ini files, same results either way.

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dongattack posted:

Did you use the correct folder?
X:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config

Aha. That fixed the 20 credit trainee issue, but the map is still not loading.

Didn't load under the back up ini either.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Orgophlax posted:

Whichever troop(s) aren't appearing in the skyranger, change their hair/helmet before launching.

No go. In the squad line up, they dont have a picture at all. I went ahead and changed their numbers just in case, but the map still didnt load.

(checked using mod ini)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

oswald ownenstein posted:

Also installing the patch will overwrite your ini, so if you put the ini in and installed the patch that will cause a problem

I would try just doing a clean reinstall of everything though, I haven't encountered anything like you did, I don't think it's an ini issue.

Well, that's disappointing. New install, same symptoms. I guess its the save.

New game it is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So Im really digging the new game. The last round let me do a lot of practice, so my early maps are taking no fatalities, and prolly 20% as many wounded. Im going for europe/labs/prisoner build, as opposed to fumbling around (as much), and Im not ignoring infantry and scouts like I did last time.

2 missions have stood out so far: the first started fine and ended up panicking terribly. I was squad rushing up the map as per normal (it was a harbor/storage units map) and a sniper critically injures one of my guys out of the fog as he moves between places. Okay says I, I advance into the fog and send a medic over. They critically injure my medic, and one sectoid holds off my entire advance for 4-5 rounds. 3 guys shooting at him, 40-50% chances every time, miss every time. Even worse, when I send my backup medic over, a 2nd sectoid flanks me. So its 3 guys fighting one sectoid and not hurting him, and 1 guy fighting another sectoid and not hurting him. I even got 3 tiles away from the first sectoid, behind him, it was unreal. Finally got him, but Ive never seen 2 sectoids hold off a squad like that.

Second mission was the V shaped highway one. New map to me, and I was unsure what was the 'real' direction. So I start left up the highway, make contact. Okay, I move troops over to extend the line, and make contact on the right. Suddenly I have four pods of sectoids hitting me from 2 flanks with no cover. I got obliterated. Reloading the map, I moved my guys 3 tiles into cover, all six of them in a row, and sent one up and back to pop pods. They next 30 rounds was them just advancing over open terrain and getting destroyed by my squad. I eventually ended up waiting 3 rounds of silence, then walked my guys up the hill to find one sectoid sitting terrified behind a car all by his lonesome. So of course we shot him in the face.

I'm pleased with how things are going so far. I'm hoping the early prisoner rush will let me catch up on the air game later.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Random question, is there a way to give more weight to gender ratios? My head canon is that women handle the xeno rays better (since my teams do better as all women).

edit: Also, can someone relink me to the Beaglerush troop builds?

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 30, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Gyshall posted:

Beagle's latest long war youtube playlist is awesome. Been working my way through and I really have learned so much from him and the videos.

Yeah, Im about a third of the way through. Tempted to restart my game again.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So Im doing Long War, and Confounding Light came up when I had 2 available people. So I told it not now.

Is it gone forever, or is it back in the pool?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

John Dough posted:

Try looking on the overhang near the big advertisement sign thing. You can actually go up on that overhang and sometimes there are aliens there.

My last sectiod hid on a bus on the elevated area on that map across from the sign. Little guys like to hide.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mike From Nowhere posted:

So the trickiest thing I've been dealing with so far is capturing Outsiders. Anyone got any recommendations as to what techniques to use to get them down far enough in HP that capture actually works, without getting them to run and trigger suppression, in the timeframe needed to work past their regeneration?

EDIT: This is Long War, in case I wasn't clear.

I use my sniper disabling shot, shotgun at close range, and then pistols to get him to 1-3. That gives 2 rounds to do the damage.

As an aside, I just produced my gauss weapons today. Mutons are dropping like sectiods, its great.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That science rush is actually my next planned run through, let me know how it pans out.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I just want to say how much Im enjoying the midgame. I hunkered in eurasia until I got 12 birds with lascannons and a squad with gauss and phalanx armor. Now Im punching out and claiming North America and Africa at the same time (2 nexus built at same time, 6 sat launches, 3 fortress assaults).

What should I be looking forward to next? Ive nearly figured out where the Exalt base is, and I think Ill be able to liberate South America here in the next few months.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So my aggressive sat expansion (3 continents in 2 months, with fighters) has a small downside.

Im running my troops ragged.

My current mission (while Im waiting for my rocketeers to come out of sickbay) is a landed harvester. Im mostly passing time until I have a team ready for an alien fortress attack, but this group is tremendously lopsided. Sniper Scout Medic 2 Gunners 3 Infantry. Even worse, the LZ lands me right in the back end, one tile away from the HQ outsiders. I reload and look at the map for a while, and it turns out there is a little pathway two tiles wide around the ship.

So I start walking down that, pop a corner, and see a pod of enhanced greys, including a red boss grey. I pull back into the alley, and they follow one at a time for me to overwatch them to death. After they are gone, I advance where they were a bit, and see 8 thin men including a boss thin men. I pull back with the same plan. And then, oh gently caress, a patrol of outsiders attempts to attack me on the left while Im pinned on the right by thin men.

I look at the map for a bit, judge my odds, and rush the thin men. No cover, I just stack all 8 of my guys around the corner and fire everything I have. (Remember, no rockets). It drops them down to two thinmen, and I pop smoke on my position. They throw acid at me, but I have enough people to finish off the pod. Finally, I stack my unit on the wall and hunker/overwatch/reload until everyone is healed from acid. Finally, this turn, an outsider came around the corner into 8 of my guns.

I wanna say thank you to Beagle :D Before I watched those videos I would have just tried rushing the command pod.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So I've just about secured Earth (one alien fortress left, almost found the exalt base). Ive got 4 interceptors with laser cannons on every continent, a sat over every country, and I just liquidated a ton of my grey market stuff for about 3k in new weapons and armor. Heres what I was thinking:

Sniper
aegis armor
pulse sniper rifle
gauss autopistol
scope
targetting module
illuminator gunsight

Scout
aegis armor
blaster rifle
gauss autopistol
chameleon suit
marksmans scope
chem grenade

Infantry
aegis armor
heavy pulse rifle
gauss autopistol
medkit
alien grenade
chitin plating

Assault
aegis armor
scatter blaster
gauss autopistol
shredder ammo
breaching ammo
inpact vest

Gunner
aegis armor
pulse autoblaster
AP ammo
scope
alloy bipod
smartgun kit

Rocketeer
aegis armor
pulse stengun
recoiless rifle
rocket
shredder rocket
illuminator gunsight

Medic
aegis armor
pulse rifle
gauss autopistol
medikit
medikit
respirator

Engineer
aegis armor
pulse rifle
gauss autopistol
alien grenades
arc thrower
smoke grenade

Am I missing any obvious choices? I haven't started on shivs or mecs yet, and my medic/scout have me covered for scanners and smoke.

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 15, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

November 2015. Ive just put the Aegis armor and pulse in the queue (had phalanx and gauss prior to that).

Haven't used any psionics/shivs/MECs as of yet. I haven't played Enemy Within or Long War before, so I'm just randomly doing things. :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 15, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Parallel to that, do you need to pay to access the live stream?

-

Completely different question, is there a hack to ensure steam vents on level 2 every time?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Fuzz posted:

Some sort of overlay that shows kills per soldier per mission would be nice, too.

Also a sort by class or kill list in the base menu (if thats not a thing yet). I want to see who my best killer is!

Second also, I just did a terror mission that had EXALT and mectoid mobs. loving bizarre.

Edit: Funnily enough, Im turning North America into an alien base farm. All three countries are at 80 terror, and terror missions keep moving it up. When they cap again, Ill attack and clear three fortresses, giving me a pile of loot to fund the war machine. (Optimally, I'd do it between council reviews so I don't lose the money...)

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Holy crap Im watching Beagle's livestream and seeing how endgame MECs work :aaaaa:

Ive been playing this all wrong :aaaaa:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Evil Thing posted:

Just watching the livestream. Beagle's on the long roadway map, except he's spawned on the side with actually no cover, has been made contact with Mutons and a Berserker while trying to make it to the original LZ. He's currently trying to work out how to capture the Berserker. :v:

That was the funniest thing Ive ever seen in my life.

As an aside: assuming you take the time, does it make sense to do the last mission with 8 MECs?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Peanut3141 posted:

10 MECs, 10 slots are available in alien base assaults and the temple ship with the Super skyranger upgrade.

Thats hilarious. I know what Im doing :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

If I want to kludge together Tactical Rigging as early as possible, does this read right?

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=21, iEngineers=60, iCash=500, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=50, iNumItems=20, eReqTech=eTech_AutopsyMutonElite,eReqItem=0)

change to

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=1, iEngineers=10, iCash=100, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=0, iNumItems=0, eReqTech=eTech_Xenobiology,eReqItem=0)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

ulmont posted:

So for Long War, should I just retrain my reflexes and always fall back rather than advancing? So far I'm like 0-5 on "alerting another loving 4 Sectoids" when I was trying to "flank the aliens immediately in front of me" since my rookies can't hit anything.

Im finding that works better for me, particularly when punching above my weight class

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

LowellDND posted:

If I want to kludge together Tactical Rigging as early as possible, does this read right?

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=21, iEngineers=60, iCash=500, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=50, iNumItems=20, eReqTech=eTech_AutopsyMutonElite,eReqItem=0)

change to

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=1, iEngineers=10, iCash=100, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=0, iNumItems=0, eReqTech=eTech_Xenobiology,eReqItem=0)

Kludge worked. Huzzuh! The little window says it costs 0x weapon fragments and 0x muton elites, but I'll deal.

My current project is making the arc thrower into a standard pistol. Ive gotten it into the pistol slot fine, but am having some other problems. It doesn't show up in the pistol switch (theres no graphic for it like there is for a gauss pistol or whatever), but I guess I can tolerate that. I fired it at a two health muton at range (84% hit) and did one damage, but no stun, which was odd.

I changed

Weapons=( strName="", iType=eItem_ArcThrower, ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_ShotStun, ABILITIES[1]=0, ABILITIES[2]=0, ABILITIES[3]=0, ABILITIES[4]=0, ABILITIES[5]=0, Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass, Properties[1]=eWP_NoReload, Properties[2]=eWP_CantReact, Properties[3]=eWP_Secondary, Properties[4]=eWP_Backpack, Properties[5]=0, iDamage=0, iEnvironmentDamage=0, iRange=27, iReactionRange=30, iReactionAngle=200, iRadius=0, iCritical=0, iOffenseBonus=0, iSuppression=0, iSize=eItemSize_Small, iHPBonus=0, iWillBonus=0 )

To

Weapons=( strName="", iType=eItem_ArcThrower, ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_ShotStun, ABILITIES[1]=Ability_ShotStandard, ABILITIES[2]=0, ABILITIES[3]=0, ABILITIES[4]=0, ABILITIES[5]=0, Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass, Properties[1]=eWP_Backpack, Properties[2]=eWP_CantReact, Properties[3]=eWP_Secondary, Properties[4]=0, Properties[5]=0, iDamage=0, iEnvironmentDamage=0, iRange=27, iReactionRange=30, iReactionAngle=200, iRadius=0, iCritical=0, iOffenseBonus=0, iSuppression=0, iSize=eItemSize_Small, iHPBonus=0, iWillBonus=0 )

and added

Itembalance_Normal=(eItem=eItem_ArcThrower, iCash=100, iElerium=0, iAlloys=94000, iTime=10, iEng=20)

Any suggestions?

(drawing on http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Mods_(Long_War)#XCOM_Unit_Modifications for ideas)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

How do I change the name file? I followed the instructions here http://daiz.io/xcom-namegen/ but its not working for me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In a moment of humor, I destroyed the Exalt base before I did any psi/mec/gene mods.

So now Im spending a massive store of wealth on building death commandos for the Temple Assault :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sober posted:

Gonna start a new campaign with the Goon namelist posted earlier in the thread along with some dgc.ini tweaks :getin:

Tried it out on the first mission a few times, seems good. But good lord is cinematic mode a gigantic boost to aim I was not expecting to lose. an extra +15 aim is nothing to sneeze at.

My current campaign is kinda just getting tedious and grindy and I stopped after I feel like losing interest due to realizing that I was falling behind, first campaign and didn't really plan ahead and so forth.

How did you get the name thing to work? I'm still trying different things with my own name list.

In other news, I'm in a mellow grind myself. Ive cleared exalt and can stomp most anything the computer can throw at me. I basically just let terror missions through in North America, rebuild the sats, and do fortress assaults for farming. I've gotten up to MEC-1s and pulse lances, and am slowly plugging my A-team into the gene melds.

As expected, I have no idea how to use MECs. I just march them around till they get 90% injured, then I pull them off the line and let my normal troops wrap up. Im currently scrapping all my labs for workshops so I can upgrade faster. At the moment, Im thinking

Pathfinder - pulse lance, flame, fist, grenade
Archer - pulse lance, flame, fist, grenade
Shogun - pulse lance, flame, fist, mine
Shogun - pulse lance, flame, fist, mine

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Antti posted:

I glanced at the post and thought the MECs would have Flamefists, which I immediately assumed to be a hacked together Kinetic Strike Module and Flamethrower. :allears:

:allears: I have no skill with programming but that sounds hella awesome. Ill see if there is a kludge :D

The other thing I'd love to do is replace the sawed off shotgun with a chainsaw, for obvious reasons.

Fuzz posted:

Research

Im loving the research 'new combat systems'. Its has a ton of widgets for your team. For buying new things, Id say bee line for the air war - get max number of planes with laser cannons on your home continent, and as many air war foundry projects as you can.

(Ive played Long War almost completely once, but that worked for my early game)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Fuzz posted:

Just researched Phalanx Armor... should I even bother, or just go straight for Carapace? I'm working on my Sectoid Autopsy next since it's fast, then jumping straight into Alien Computers unless I should grab Carapace... Alien Computers is only 8 days for me, the Improved Armor is 17, though.

I did 8 phalanx this play through (first time), but I think next time I will skip. I was really short on funds to get carapace since I spent it on phalanx, which means I was facing tough mobs in phalanx. Next time, Id rather face light mobs with basic armor.

As an aside, does anyone know how to mod armor so it gives the packmaster perk? Ive found one tweak which gives secondary armor the heart genemod, but I want more grenades too.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Walton Simons posted:

I had a hugely successful first mission and I like the new kit and tweaks so far. I forgot to redo my name file for LW, though, so I'll take some time to unfuck that, add a bunch more names and restart.

Could you walk me through how the name file works?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Walton Simons posted:

I don't mess with it myself, I tried once but it was very tedious. I just plug all my names I've saved in a spreadsheet into this handy tool. It won't distinguish between first and second names but it does a job.

Odd, Ive tried using that and the xcom name reader was still going with the random ones. I was thinking that daiz was simply an older generator that didn't work with the most recent long war, but now Im thinking Im putting it in the wrong place.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Good lord, that will teach me to get comfortable with LW.

Im trucking along nicely, all master sergeants, pulse and aegis armor and mec2s.

I have the choice of a terror mission or alien base assault. I figure hey, terror first, it'll be quick.

Offscreen sectopod drops mortars on me from off screen, half my squad is bleeding out.

So I reload and say, okay, I guess Ill do the alien base.

Double ethereals in the first hallway reflecting my attacks and being dicks.

I need a hug.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh my god I got the base defense mission for the first time :woop: And I was waiting to do an alien base assault, so I have my entire A and B team ready to go :dance:

Wish me luck

edit: Wow. :psypop: My first attempt, I had half the team dead in three turns. Everyone was getting flanked, it was terrible.

The second time went much better. I got a feel for the tempo of the invaders - first I run to one end of the room, then the other. After I cleared the air/balcony wave, everyone came in through the train side from then on. Once I got them starting spawning in the big area, it went much better. I had 2 snipers on the balcony (gauss and pulse) and a MEC-2 and MEC 3 in the main pathway into the globe room. (pulse cannons, flamers, and punchers). I had a auto pulse cannon and pulse shotgun too, with the cannon on the left flank overmatching the central and right area, and the shotgun on the right doorway.

Once I got that set up, it was pretty smooth. Mobs walked in 1-2 up the stairs or through the doors, and got shot. I had a different person reload each time, and near the end I send out the redshirts to go look around (3 of the 4 died).

Overall, a hella fun mission.

edit 2: Is there a chance my base will get attacked again, or can I sell off all my lasers and carapace/phalanx?

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 22, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Talky posted:

^^^^^ You can have multiple base assaults, so I would hold onto those.

Edit: You can have multiple base assaults in Long War, which I just assumed you were playing. If you're playing vanilla then you only have one.

Sweet, it was a really fun mission.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Apple2o posted:

So is it bad to have lost 6 countries by mid-july in long war? I basically just have 1 continent with radar / interceptor coverage so everyone else is eating poo poo. I'm not taking too much punishment in the tac missions but usually get bogged down in firefights and don't get much meld or save many civilians. My last terror mission had me activate 10 zombies and 3 lids at the same time; and the lids just ran away to murder every civilian while i slowly cleaned out the zombie horde (and new zombies from the lids piling in).

I lost North and South America and did 5 fortress invasions later in the game. It can be done (in normal mode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Playing normal long war, just about into the end game. Do you build more than one firestorm to grab the overseer? Each one costs as much as 4 interceptors, so I'm not enthusiastic. Also, do you do the temple mission with plasma or is pulse fine?

• Locked thread