Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

WraithMind posted:

I think the LW devs want you to choose between modded and unmodded soldiers. In vanilla there's no reason not to splice everyone up, a soldier with gene mods is better than one without, the only reason you don't mod everyone up would be because of meld constraints. it would have been neat if they came up with more unique drawbacks then just recovery time though.

If gene mods have drawbacks, and they cost money/resources, and they're mutually exclusive with MECs, then who would ever choose modded soldiers? I already don't even bother to build a gene lab in the base game because the benefits are so miniscule, aside from getting a mimetic skin covops dude. Why do they need drawbacks on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Why does double-tap just... not work sometimes?

It should be a "you always get two shots" thing, right? Because I constantly get situations where I take the first shot and... that's it.

I've got no idea what causes it, and was considering switching everyone to rapid fire next time around just for the improved reliability, but apparently THAT is bugged too?

What the heck!

You're aware it has a cooldown, right?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I swear to loving god Beagle is some kind of idiot savant when it comes to X-Com. An hour or two ago on the burger king mission he landed with two berserkers in sight and went "what do you even do against that!?" then proceeded to ace them in the same loving turn. And now a pod of 5 chrysallids and loving Godzilla walk right on top of his team and he does it again!

I had to leave a few turns after that, when he blue-moved a soldier who then got surrounded by an unseen 'lid pod. Did he get out of that one too?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Beagle played a chiptune version of The Final Countdown during the fanart break at the end.

Goddamn is the Twitch music ID system stupid, who does it even benefit in its current form??

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

tithin posted:

Hey Beagle, do Twitch subscribers get added to your naming pool? Just curious.

The name list is the ShackTac member list, but contributing to their Patreon gets you added to the nickname list.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Antti posted:

Wasn't this a thing already, since Beagle has had Doom Van Doorn in his stream? Regardless, YES.

Edit: Unfortunate I didn't make it to the list but I'll always have the first mission of GuavaMoment's LP.

Nah, Van Doorn is just the only non-ShackTac entry in Beagle's custom name list.

...Which means he might forget to remove it next time he starts a new game, and end up with two Van Doorns. :circlefap:

e: Actually, does anyone know if he's done the Doorn mission yet in both the Twitch and Live and Impossible campaigns?

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 21, 2014

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

That doesn't seem to be effective any more, as they don't seem to cluster up anymore (so the one hint to their location - the one seeker that didn't cloak - doesn't work), and dropping the scanner on your own troops defensively won't change anything 'cause the seekers will just charge in and fire off flanking crits anyways.

So now they're just floaters with a cloak gimmick instead of a teleport gimmick.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

That's pretty much what Beagle concluded right after that mission. "Taking a shot instead of strangling was always the best move they could take, they just never took it before".

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No, just that one specific cyberdisc always does that.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Every thursday is a good thursday with Beagle. :woop:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If you mean you're playing Long War, sleeveless means they're wearing a lighter type of armor like a tac vest. To fix it, just equip them with tac armor (+1 armor, -1 movement compared to a tac vest). If you mean you're playing EW/EU and heard that LW fixes this, pick up Revenge of the Sleeves.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And Tandem Warheads somehow ends up in the Engineer tree competing with Sapper.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Neslepaks posted:

No Thursday night XCOM this week? :smith:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-storm-leaves-70000-properties-without-power-20141127-11vrft.html :ohdear:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Dongattack posted:

My troopers keep shooting the Meld, we took all those risks to grab that Meld and you shot it :negative:

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPveKpQFtxE&t=1235s

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

johnnylump: I'd like to note that we've gotten some help from Firaxis on the custom voices project and are extremely grateful for it.
RadCowDisease: I'm curious, what kind of help did they give? Did they help with maneuvering about the engine to get them in place or something else?
johnnylump: Guidance on how to process raw voice files from our actors so they sound like the vanilla voiceovers already ingame.

:hawaaaafap:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Where does it say it's no-miss?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Long War 14h is out.

quote:

Features:

You may now adjust arc thrower chances in DGC.ini (UFO_PSI_LINK_SURVIVE=0.61)

Changelog:

Fixed CTD when sectopod AI hunting for cluster bomb targets
All-Exalt HQ assault shouldn't occur anymore
Bad XCOM spawns for soldiers 7+ in Linux version and cleaner 7+ spawns overall
Some ghost grenade-related adjustments listed in 14g that weren't fully implemented
Rebates when buying multiple items should work correctly now
3rd Rapid reaction shot should process now -- missed additional clamp downstream in prior code

Found it when I went to look for a Linux download, but it seems the Mac+Linux download is a few versions behind. How long does it typically take for them to port new updates?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The campaign is far from over.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

He hasn't really been using any of the breathing room LW allows, either. Until he gets back up to speed, he can let the aliens tech up a bit (meld is still at 3/canister for him), get exhausted high-level troops to pull extra shifts, and skip missions that won't get him what he needs.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No-one is allowed to complain about "Beagleluck" ever again. Karma was fully repaid this night.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Not pictured: another shiv and a sniper with disabling and shap shot.

e: And now he's replaced two shivs with troops due to lack of items.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

All that said though, the perk trust fund the aliens get is ridiculous, and isn't modified by difficulty. And on impossible the heavy floaters just get +10 aim +5 will +1 hp compared to normal, so the invincible heavy floater bullshit we saw today still would've happened on normal.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, and it still is. There's a helluva lot of ground left that he can afford to lose while recovering his equipment losses. Though it is closer than I thought because I didn't realize just how much Beagle had compromised his strategic game in favor of the tactical.

So lesson learned: don't sell your backup weapons, don't skimp on econ like workshops and the alloy project, and always maintain control of the LZ.

And he's already been implementing these lessons in his Youtube campaign. :getin:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

Marbozir doesn't play on Ironman and started out on some easy difficulty before switching to Impossible. I think that pretty much invalidates the whole thing.

I was about to object to this, but then I remembered XCOM lets you change difficulty mid-campaign. If that's what he did then hell yeah it's not comparable.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's randomized the same way vanilla is - there are four randomly assigned classes. LW changes things up by having two perk trees for each class - essentially splitting them into eight classes total - that you pick between with the first perk. If you have too many of the same vanilla class, pick the 'randomize' perk instead and it'll pick one of the other six LW classes. For this reason it's usually a good idea to leave a promoted rookie's perk unassigned until you get around to using them in a mission.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Deuce posted:

Shred, chem, fire HEAT. If unable to accomplish these this turn, consider being somewhere else for a turn.

If unable to accomplish these things at all, consider flight.

I question Solomon's wisdom in choosing the name 'Sectopod'.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Chrysalids and robotic units cannot be captured, and you only need to capture one Outsider in vanilla, that's correct. And to check your captured weapons stockpile, they should probably show up in your item list in the grey market view.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Plasma weapons are wicked good in vanilla, and on top of getting them from captures, you can also make more once you've researched them. It's not so much a pros vs cons thing, it's tech progression: ballistics -> lasers -> plasma.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Long War lets you take back countries with a base assault. :getin:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

Just one more reason to camp my steam wishlist for daily deals.

Thanks again... I mean really I've been wanting a balls out strategy game for a while and this mod... this mod man.

Be sure to join us every week at Thursday Night XCOM, hosted by forums poster Beagle. :toot:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, he's pretty much completely rebounded at this point. Murdering hordes of sectopods, pulling off captures aplenty, and even managed to avoid losing Canada again despite yet another terror mission (in my hometown, too). :canada:

Goes to show that a single major loss doesn't necessarily spell the end in Long War, even on Impossible.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Teddles posted:

90% of the time, overwatch is for when you can't see enemies. When you find enemies, don't go on overwatch - actively get into good positions and start killing them. Use shredder and HEAT to kill mechs.

That, and you can use overwatch to discourage an alien from moving. Which you should be doing to protect the soldiers you send up on flanking routes, along with suppression, flashbangs, or acid.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

You know he's in a hard place when you can walk away for ten minutes, come back, and he hasn't made a single action.

Or, y'know, when "DOOM" Van Doorn panics.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, where did you see that? Beagle doesn't play with the DLC missions enabled.
Though the map for Portent is in the standard map pool in LW, so that may be it. It's a pretty rough map.

vvvv :eyepop:

Telarra fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 12, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone know why the automatic armor color options for Long War won't work for me on Linux? I've set it to green for every class, but it still uses the Long War defaults. Works fine on my windows box, and my custom namelist works on linux as well, so I know I've editted the right file. Is there some other variable in that config file I could use to test if it's reading the file at all?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

That's good to know, I'm firing up now and apprehensive of the new Geoscape game. Any baby tips other than 'don't rush satellites and don't try to fight everything'? Because that's all I've picked up from Google.

Satellites are still fantastic and get you missions, money, and staff. So always rush to cover your starting continent with them to make the most of your expensive interceptor fleet, and only expand to new continents when you can afford a new interceptor fleet to defend them. And I like to keep at least one satellite in reserve, for those times when it's just not worth putting your whole fleet in the shop to defend a satellite.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyDcLy3-3c

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I charge a true believer in this thread who witnessed the miracle to produce an animated gif.

Be better than Acts; portray history.

In this case, the :xcom: of Beagle.

I did not witness it, nor did I produce this:

http://a.pomf.se/bnimgz.webm

But holy poo poo :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

But... it does? Always worked for me, right out of the digital box.

e: Right-click the game in Steam, click 'Properties', and under the 'Updates' tab, make sure that "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization" is checked. And check your cloud settings for Steam in general if that doesn't do it.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread