Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Jibo posted:

Also, with the new patch I witnessed enemies teleporting away from me now. :psyduck:

I could see life bars for a squad of mutons that were just outside my squads field of view and in one turn they teleported a fair distance away but they still "activated" when I got within range of where they were originally standing.

This has always been in the game. Unactivated aliens move via teleporting, which is fine if you can't see them. Unfortunately, the switch to regular walking happens when the aliens are activated and not when you see them, which means if you see them either via a scanner or move to the exact edge of vision then you will be able to see them teleporting.

Edit: though the activating thing is definitely a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Deuce posted:

Generally is a key word. Every once and a while it seems to gently caress up. I still haven't figured out why.

From what I understand, they will shoot if you leave anyone out of cover or flanked.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was having fun with this a bit before BIoshock came out, spent 8 hours in it. But one thing annoyed me, the aliens moving right after I spotted them. Kinda felt like the strategy was taken out of the game. Would the XCOM Toolboks mod be worth it to alleviate this? On a similar note, how well received is the Warspace Extension mod?

If the aliens didn't get that free move the game would be a cakewalk even on Impossible.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also I really don't see how hard this bug is to fix. Even without knowing anything about the engine it seems simple. If a pack of enemies would teleport to a square that is within the player's LOS, they do not teleport there and instead they move on to the next spawn point, which is checked the same way. I know I'm probably missing something but that's all they really need to do.

Most likely, the XCOM code is a jumbled mess created by programmers who moved on to other projects/jobs after release, and now there is no one left who really understands what the code does.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
If you are planning on getting scientists from the first abduction, be sure to get a satellite over a country that gives engineers, or you are going to be hosed when the next 3 abductions don't give you engineers

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I really need to just stop buying Firaxis games on release and just wait for the expansions to come out before I get into them.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Brainamp posted:

Enemy Within? No, XCOM, you are the Aliens! If that was actually it, it would be hysterical.

Capitalizing on the buzz from the game Octodad, you play a cyberdisk masquerading as a human soldier. You must complete tasks around XCOM HQ without alerting your human squad members to the fact that you are a floating death machine.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

straw man posted:

That looks pretty great. I love the 1960's Cold War America aesthetic. It seems fresh, like it will contrast well with the global-near future feel of the Firaxis X-Com.

I feel like the tech from XCOM:D looks too much like the 1980's. Hard edges and naked technical looking stuff make me think of Terminator or Back to the Future and not like the smooth and sleek design I associate with the 1960's.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I really have to question why the game rules are dependent on the unreal engine instead of being an underlying base game with the unreal engine being a graphical interface to said underlying game.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Decided to try out long war. Lesson one, letting the first scout go to get a medium scout is not a good idea because it takes like 5 ravens to take out the medium scout. Then when you finally take it down there are two outsiders hanging out who will kill the poo poo out of your 4 dudes.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Long War trip report #2. Grenades are no longer useful for anything beyond clearing cover. If you take more than 2 grenades you are a fool who is going to lose because you foolishly thought throwing a grenade at 2 HP sectoid hiding behind a burning car was going to prevent you from getting shot in the face.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh. I sort of wish that "damage roulette" applied some damage ranges to explosives, too. I'd gladly take grenades that may do 2 or 3 points of damage if they may also do 5 or 6.

Long War grenades do 1-5 damage.

Also, cars no longer explode reliably once they are on fire. I have seen cars burn for 5 turns before exploding. I have also thrown 3 grenades at a burning car and it still wouldn't explode.

The variable car explosions is probably worse than the crazy variation on everything. It is bad enough that cover is generally too sparse in XCOM, but then half the cover will turn into ticking time bombs for probably 2/3 of the firefight.

I do enjoy that Long War shakes things up in a not completely terrible way though.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, that's what we were talking about and what made me wish that "damage roulette" did the same thing.

I was responding to the guy thinking the grenades did 2-6 damage.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Long War trip report #3, I thought the 5 HP thin men in impossible were crazy pants, but I have just found a 7HP thin man.

Also, for some reason overwatch only triggers around 75% of the time. I have had multiple enemies walk long distances through my LOS without overwatch triggering.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
My guess is that if you go down the augmentation routes then at the end of the game you join the etherals instead of blowing up the ship.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I think my biggest hope is that they release a map editor. I am so sick of UFOs in forests.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Just had some sort of infinitely spawning zombie bug on a terror mission on long war. There must have been like 18 of them all coming from the same square.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just wanted to say that effort post you made in the first thread (about using hunker down and to stop over-watching all the time) has really saved my rear end and helped me play much better in Classic IM. Thanks!

It sucks that the hunker down hotkey is broke still, since I use it way more in combat than I do overwatch.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Hey lets work our way up to this patrol I can hear in this direction and kill them.

Oh the patrol teleported to the other side of the map, lets sit here for 10 turns and wait for those jerks to come back.

This is boring, lets start moving into the abductor.

Oh hey patrol decided to come back to where they were supposed to be and now I have 4 mutons up my rear end and 4 floaters decided to come say hi from the front.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I was hoping there would be more units with unique weaknesses like sectoids. Do I shoot the merged sectoid right in front of me or do I try to kill the merging sectoid who is far riskier to kill and try to take out both of them? Nearly everything else is just shoot mans. I also hope they do something to mix up the final room of the ufo. It is too easy to just line up at the door and charge in the next turn and kill everything in there.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Mr. Wynand posted:

I really don't like this new system they added of having to choose between abduction missions. It's not just that it's annoyingly contrived, it's also that the old game didn't really seem to need it. Sometimes you just missed UFOs because your poo poo sucked, other times you were just too loving poor and wounded to intercept them, and other times those night terror missions just aren't loving worth it so you swallow the budget hit.

After playing Long War, I prefer the EU mission system. It makes the geoscape actually interesting instead of a terrible slog of missions/ufos every 1-2 days.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Did they ever take out one unit per tile? Having to micromanage my army was probably the biggest reason I stopped playing Civ5.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Well no one in this thread was really a help, but this isn't true. I managed to crap out 4 sats in the first month pretty reliably, the only thing that;s a crap shoot is getting your second abduction + UFO in time to build an uplink. I haven;t really figured out what to do in the second moth, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

You are supposed to build the 4 satellites in batches of 1 so that you can cancel the 4th one if need be in order to build the uplink.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
All this talk about patches makes me wish there was a game with everything version controlled in a git repository.

Want to play a mod developed on an old patch? no problemo.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

animatorZed posted:

Not sure I'd be blaming the game for the following turn of events :)
That said, its a super common mistake that most people make until it eventually just gets beat out of you, since it leads to stuff like this.

Yeah, that was basically a "how not to play your turn guide". Overwatching before you are done moving everyone on the team is never a good idea.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Hoping for the next episode of live and impossible.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Helloooo

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Maybe next time aliens.

Just realized I forgot to use long war's second item slot on this mission.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 29, 2013

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Space Hamlet posted:

Even if you keep the teleportation, I would like for their positions to be randomized - surely forcing them to spawn a certain distance away from one another can't be too difficult. As it stands, there are lots of maps where I know how to get into an excellent flanking position before I even trigger the first mob. It helps that aliens can be forced to take no action if you flank/overwatch them. It really does drain some of the potential life from the game.

I agree that some sort of placement randomness would be great, but quite a few maps would need to get remade.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am playing long war 2 beta, anyone know if it is normal for every single abduction mission to award you money? I am 3 months in and still only have 14 scientists and 16 engineers :(

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Flippycunt posted:

Actually in Long War you only get cash for abductions. To get scientists and engineers you need to get them from the monthly council report, build labs/workshops, or complete council missions.

Glad it isn't bugged then. Research is taking forever though. I am already facing mutons but I still don't have lasers despite having basically bee lined for it.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
After playing long war for a while I would rather have a middle ground.

A) aliens not in your sight move at 16x speed.
B) unactivated patrol aliens close alien ship doors after they go through.
C) stop having patrolling aliens go further than 8 spaces in one turn.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am so ready for EW so I can stop playing long war. Maybe I am being a masochist playing long war on classic, but there is just a brick wall when medium ufos and mutons show up. I have tried 3 times, and if you rush lasers your interceptors will get shot out of the sky, but if you go for aim modules to shoot down the ufos, then the mutons tear you a new one while you plink away at them with your puny ballistic weapon and no armor.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I don't know if I even want to play this expansion now. Their solution to the unbindable hunker down bug was to remove the option to bind hunker down from the key bindings menu completely. I am so irrationally angry right now.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Did they remove flanking from around corners? 2 out of 2 times that I ran up to a corner for a point blank flaking shot on a sectoid on the new train-yard map they still counted as in high cover.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

UberJumper posted:

nope, but you can bypass the launcher by launching XComEW.exe from:

<whatever>\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32

That doesnt work for me :(

I decided to play through my anger at not having a hunker down button and it is good so far outside of the occasional line of site bug and the one time my game crashed when a seeker tried to strangle my dudes.

I really hope they add in more quality of life improvements in a patch, like basically everything in toolboks.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Really disliking the fact that if you use dash outside of visual range the enemy knows exactly what tile you are standing on when you finish the dash. Then they also have an encyclopedic knowledge of what tiles can shoot at your dashy man and will immediately move there and shoot at your dude.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

:xcom:

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So, found out that sectopods actually explode in a circular 3 tile radius on death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Who needs countries? Or money? Was so cash strapped I didn't buy ghost armor until temple ship.

• Locked thread