Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So I want to go support/summons witch with auras and plenty of strong minions so I'm useful to the group but can still solo. Anyone got any tips or build ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

One thing I missed in Diablo 3 was the lack of any guilds or similar. Anything like that in PoE?

Brian_GGG specifically said that a "guild system" with "shared stash tabs" was on their list of things to do. So it should happen sometime, but when exactly is anyone's guess.

Phoix posted:

I forgot how terrible it feels to play melee in this game. Whirling Blade through a huge crowd only to have nothing happen because every attack missed.

If you are playing a character that gets Whirling Blades early on, you should have fairly high accuracy through your dexterity. Ranged characters deal with the same accuracy issues and it never seems that extreme. You could always beeline it for Resolute Technique on the passive tree if it really is that bad.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All the early game melee skills still feel as clunky as ever and apparently everyone still relies on either Lightning Strike or Ground Slam for their melee builds. Wonder when they'll make just smashing people's faces in a viable build.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I may have missed a very basic piece of information here, but how many slots do you get for characters without paying? I have like 8 or 9 left over from beta all still sitting there at level 1. Is the limit that high or had I better start making room?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Is single element spellcaster an end-game viable build for this game or will I run into monsters who are immune to certain elements ala D2?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

I may have missed a very basic piece of information here, but how many slots do you get for characters without paying? I have like 8 or 9 left over from beta all still sitting there at level 1. Is the limit that high or had I better start making room?

24, aka a TON.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

Is single element spellcaster an end-game viable build for this game or will I run into monsters who are immune to certain elements ala D2?

You run into monsters with resists but never immunity. You can also reduce their resists in a couple of ways.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bottom Liner posted:

24, aka a TON.

That is.... generous. It seems a little odd to allow that many and still sell them, not that I am complaining.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Been hearing about this game since forever, and occasionally catching a few minutes of Kripp streaming it, and now that open beta is here I'm ready to see if this is the should-have-been D3 game everyone makes it out to be. Downloading the patch at an absolute abysmal speed, but once I get in I'm excited to get started. It looks completely overwhelming though. I literally have no idea how this game works, but I suppose that's the fun of it.

I had considered making a summoner, but so far it looks like that's the FotM so to speak for the goon community. How is Shadow? Like is it weak early game, or are there builds that make it strong throughout?

I'll probably end up making multiple characters so it doesn't really matter..just have no idea where to start. :shobon:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Underwhelmed posted:

That is.... generous. It seems a little odd to allow that many and still sell them, not that I am complaining.

The idea is that with all the leagues and poo poo 24 isnt unreasonable.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

The idea is that with all the leagues and poo poo 24 isnt unreasonable.

The devs have also stated that they want people to try out a lot of different stuff. I think people theorycrafting their first build are missing the point a little bit, since as you play you end up changing it around so much, and because the tree is so networked you will probably change your mind a few times with your first char and still have it be viable.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

The Cash for Points ratio seems really lovely to me. It seemed like prior to Open Beta, the ratio was $1 = 10 points. Right now, the $5 and $10 tier give you less than that, while the $20 tier gives you 200 points.

Only giving 96 points for $10 or 46 for $5 just seems kind of... petty. Maybe I'm just used to Riot and other companies where you get a better-than-standard ratio of Cash:Points for purchasing more, not a worse-than-standard ratio for buying less.

Minor, I know, but it really rubs me the wrong way because if I'm going to buy in to the game, it's going to be for a smaller amount at first. If I keep playing then I'd probably buy the higher denominations.

jsr v2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2013

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok question. Stuff like a glassblowers bauble, chromatic orb or orb of alchemy, should I be saving them for any specific reason or just using them?

Edit: Or any of the consumables, I have no idea their value. Also how long do i need to bother picking up white items for?

queeb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 24, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

jsr v2.0 posted:

Maybe I'm just used to Riot and other companies where you get a better-than-standard ratio of Cash:Points for purchasing more, not a worse-than-standard ratio for buying less.

There is no difference between the two, aside from closed beta-ers having a 4 point bonus if they bought a stand-alone key.

queeb posted:

Ok question. Stuff like a glassblowers bauble, chromatic orb or orb of alchemy, should I be saving them for any specific reason or just using them?

Edit: Or any of the consumables, I have no idea their value. Also how long do i need to bother picking up white items for?

Most of them are either common or useless enough that using them inefficiently for your first character or two isn't horrible. Save alchemies, chaos orbs, gemcutters, and fusings if you're feeling cautious, though.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 24, 2013

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

queeb posted:

The idea is that both these choices are equally viable for different play styles. You can use currency as you get it and always be getting slight buffs, or save it all and trade it for a sick unique or something. I found in CB I was trading chromatics, using my glassblowers on flasks I knew I was going to hold on to and saving alchs for the new wand tiers as they became available from vendors, for example.

They also changed it so the bottom tier currency can trade all the way up to alchemy/regret.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

There is no difference between the two, aside from closed beta-ers having a 4 point bonus if they bought a stand-alone key.

Yeah, I could understand grumbling if, say, you only got 60-70 points for $10 where you previously got 100, but you're literally losing out on pennies here.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
sigh I'm getting horrendous downloads speeds now. Like 50KB/s and I still have 900 megs more to download. Seems like even though I get off of work a little earlier than most people I still didn't manage to beat the rush.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I just broke 1gb after almost 3 hours.

For anyone who has somehow managed to finish downloading the patch, is the game actually playable?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I played pretty much right when OB launched and it seemed fine. It's still okay now, for me at least.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I could understand grumbling if, say, you only got 60-70 points for $10 where you previously got 100, but you're literally losing out on pennies here.

Dimes actually, and I sort of see the point of contention, because virtually all the purchases seem to be base 10, which means that 96 points might as well be 90. With a few low buy ins, it won't much matter, but in any case you are going to end up with left-over fun bucks unless you start at the $20USD

NewtGoongrich posted:

I just broke 1gb after almost 3 hours.

For anyone who has somehow managed to finish downloading the patch, is the game actually playable?

Very, a little laggy for me but nothing worth complaining about. I would hesitate to bank on a hardcore character right now, but that's about it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Dimes actually, and I sort of see the point of contention, because virtually all the purchases seem to be base 10, which means that 96 points might as well be 90. With a few low buy ins, it won't much matter, but in any case you are going to end up with left-over fun bucks unless you start at the $20USD

Very, a little laggy for me but nothing worth complaining about. I would hesitate to bank on a hardcore character right now, but that's about it.

The lag can depend on players in your party a lot too, if you join someone it's limited by your ping to the party leader.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just finished downloading and am logged in. Anyone else getting ready to start a level 1?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Died stupidly on Hardcore.
Does your stash disappear? Could've sworn I read that your stash remains but mine hasn't.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Played a while, more of a frustrating than fun experience. Uncommon loot coming in unidentified is bad, the return of identify scrolls is an unnecessary regression, with these together I see myself running out of Scrolls of Wisdom in no time.

Difficulty seems all over the place with melee dying constantly and ranged doing fine until getting swarmed and dying almost instantly. This would be before-getting-to-the-Cathedral of Tristram in Diablo 3 terms, so really early game. Maybe this gets better when you level up some more. Right now I would rate the frustration levels as equal to Diablo 3 Inferno before the nerfs.

GGG has a long way to go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Get to level 15, it really opens up around then. Low level is still pretty sloggy, but it really picks up after 15-20.

Peons
Nov 26, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

The lag can depend on players in your party a lot too, if you join someone it's limited by your ping to the party leader.

Somehow I think this is incorrect. Since GGG hosts the servers and I've noticed some latency issues (When OB Launched and everyone began swarming the servers) even while solo this statement makes no sense and goes against everything known to client-server programming. If GGG hosted the servers but made the latency of the game's "leader" somehow adversely effect everyone else, it would be the worst programming idea for a game ever and take additional resources to even implement.

Now if somehow this is the case I'd say my playing through closed beta was pretty exceptional because I didn't run into that many issues when the "main person" was lagging.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Dude Scrolls of Identify are a currency. I never use them unless it is on a Yellow or better I think I might use.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Played a while, more of a frustrating than fun experience. Uncommon loot coming in unidentified is bad, the return of identify scrolls is an unnecessary regression, with these together I see myself running out of Scrolls of Wisdom in no time.
Identify scrolls are necessary because it sets up the currency. I'm surprised anyone is calling it anything other than an improvement.

That said... I'm wondering if selling unidentified items is an ok thing to do? I'm in the same boat - worried about losing ma scrolls. But at the same time I'm wondering why I'm identifying these blue gloves when I'm rocking yellows.

^ thanks!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If my foggy memories from way back in the closed beta are still valid, don't pick up any blue or below gear unless you're planning on potentially using it then and there. Later level gear will have socket combinations that mean you might want to pick up even a white piece of gear to roll it into a rare, but for the early levels that isn't such a big concern.

Also, god drat, my computer can play most games on maxed settings and I'm getting stuttering playing in a party of three. I don't remember this game being that resource intensive.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stop thinking about gold. ID scrolls will be plentiful, but wasting them on gear you can't or won't use is a waste. This isn't Diablo, you will seldom get a sale item that is worth in trade the cost of the Wisdom scroll if you ID every drat thing you find. Save them for rares and better, or for class relevant gear with good slot configurations. The economy is really weird in this game if you try and treat it like a traditional ARPG.

Also, as has been said, the first dozen or so levels are a drag. Stick with it though, and the skill system becomes really interesting once you get utility gems that let you alter the stats and properties of the skill gems.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

truther posted:

Died stupidly on Hardcore.
Does your stash disappear? Could've sworn I read that your stash remains but mine hasn't.

Someone said the Hardcore stash is Hardcore only, but if you want the items you can just make a hardcore character, grab it, and die to become a softcore character, and then put it in the regular stash.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This game could really use a search feature for the sphere grid, like, show me where all skills relating to fire damage are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm jumping in as a hardcore Templar, going totems/summons. I don't know how to add friends yet but my account name is defeldus@gmail. Add me!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Difficulty seems all over the place with melee dying constantly and ranged doing fine until getting swarmed and dying almost instantly. This would be before-getting-to-the-Cathedral of Tristram in Diablo 3 terms, so really early game. Maybe this gets better when you level up some more. Right now I would rate the frustration levels as equal to Diablo 3 Inferno before the nerfs.

GGG has a long way to go.

Fun fact: If this carried over from beta, then unidentified items actually sell for more. So I found picking up random blues worth it. If I can't use it because it's strength based, sweet! Worth more unidentified.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Gils posted:

Someone said the Hardcore stash is Hardcore only, but if you want the items you can just make a hardcore character, grab it, and die to become a softcore character, and then put it in the regular stash.
Gotcha, thanks

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If I take that skill that makes my max life 1, and that skill that makes my spells do more damage when I'm at low health will the game think that A) I am always at low health, or B) I am always at full health, since I'm 1/1, and therefor not low.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

LibbyM posted:

If I take that skill that makes my max life 1, and that skill that makes my spells do more damage when I'm at low health will the game think that A) I am always at low health, or B) I am always at full health, since I'm 1/1, and therefor not low.

"Low health" is below 35%. 1/1 is 100%. You will never be low health if you take CI.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

The point value on their two lowest point packs really sucks. I started OB with 100 points and I want to buy the 150 point stash tab pack but I can't justify buying a $10 pack because buying the $5 pack leaves me 4 points short.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Underwhelmed posted:

Yeah, that's what I find problematic. I spent $5 for 46 points, which may as well be 40 points. Essentially, I lose 20% usable value right off the top at $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:frogsiren: Don't forget to add your character names to the Player List at the top of the OP. :frogsiren:

• Locked thread