Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I liked Diablo 2 enough for one playthrough and I guess PoE's improvements upon D3 are so apparent that they don't even need to be listed, so I'm waiting for tomorrow with intrepidity!

I kind of got burned with Guild Wars 2 having two huge problems (destructive wardrobe system and WoW preempting cross-server leveling zones that GW2 needed more, for the record) since its open beta that are only now becoming undeniable problems, so here's hoping Path of Exile developers are more receptive to feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Thoom posted:

It could be a serious economic advantage. Here's an extreme example: Suppose somebody discovers an obscure but insanely overpowered build that allows for very profitable farming and requires a level 80 Witch. Someone with paid respecs could simply respec their high level Witch (which they're more likely to have in the first place, because with instant respec you'd only ever need 6 characters) and start farming. A player without cash to burn would have to level all the way to 80, by which time the build might be nerfed.

Right, so it's "exploit early, exploit often" so that you can afford the Orbs of Regret to switch builds and farm before the developers get to fixing the build, rinse and repeat. And the less people exploiting something, the longer it goes unnoticed.

Shrug, they'll probably change it before that becomes a problem.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Is Duelist likely to be the most underpowered class in Open Beta?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Welp, this might take a while.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Not gonna buy anything that doesn't give me a tangible advantage, so this cash shop suits me perfectly!

E: Could they maybe add some more download servers, this is taking forever?!

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

One thing I missed in Diablo 3 was the lack of any guilds or similar. Anything like that in PoE?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Played a while, more of a frustrating than fun experience. Uncommon loot coming in unidentified is bad, the return of identify scrolls is an unnecessary regression, with these together I see myself running out of Scrolls of Wisdom in no time.

Difficulty seems all over the place with melee dying constantly and ranged doing fine until getting swarmed and dying almost instantly. This would be before-getting-to-the-Cathedral of Tristram in Diablo 3 terms, so really early game. Maybe this gets better when you level up some more. Right now I would rate the frustration levels as equal to Diablo 3 Inferno before the nerfs.

GGG has a long way to go.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

satan!!! posted:

I don't really agree with the criticism that the game is slow early on. I mean, it definitely is, but that's makes it more cool. You literally get thrown off a boat and have to start from nothing, it really adds to the feel. I don't know, I just really like it :shobon:

It's just like in Age of Conan. You wash up on the shore, punch some crocodiles to death, rescue a maiden in distress, cause a volcano to erupt, sneak around in some important guy's palace to steal a valuable thingy and fight through a burning town before you're level 20.

Age of Conan early game was awesome.

Platypus Farm posted:

BUT - the thing about the dingy look is that it's kinda supposed to be like that. I don't think this is a world that's gonna have power armor and neon-laser colored plate mail. It's supposed to be a dying continent and you're wearing the poo poo that's washing up, or has been rotting on mermaid corpses for a thousand years.

It's like a refugee camp, where people drift in from all over, hopes dashed, promises broken, battered and bruised, to huddle together and reminiscence as they shift through garbage looking for scraps from the yonder days of glory, days that no amount of rebuilding, reenactments or restitutions can ever bring back, because what was also lost was the innocence.

I wonder if some PoE fans like the setting so much that they role-play the game in real life.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Volte posted:

As for out-of-game money-based trading creating an unfair advantage anyway, that's a completely dumb argument. By that argument why not just allow people to pay for levels and gear directly in the game?

Wouldn't bother me at all. Someone wants to spend 50€ on a game to get a bad-rear end level 60 Wizard with 2 big-rear end swords, they can go right ahead.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

RE: Respecs - they're not going to offer pay-for-respecs. You can argue until you're blue in the face but there's no point.

Right and that's probably for the best, instead they should have 2 things:

First, free respeccing anytime like in Diablo 3, which takes care of people creating bad characters after one-off full skill point refunds after balance changes because they have forgotten how many +10 nodes they need.

Second, a lot more skill points (like 5) per level so that you can eventually fill the grid like in The Secret World. Give the passives an on/off toggle, if you must. This takes care of having to theorycraft a build one point at a time as you are fighting and would make the skill grid just more fun.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Divine Disclaimer posted:

You people do realize permanence of choice (and the opportunity to make crippling mistakes) is something that appeals to lots of players. Maybe you like it when you can't lose at a game, but I rather enjoy the tense atmosphere permanence creates.

But it's not permanent. If you make a crippling mistake, you put the gear in your stash or sell it, delete the character and make a new one. Your "permanence of choice" can be undone in what amounts to maybe 1 month's time working a 9-5 job. Subtract from that something for gear that your new character can use so it's even less.

As far as permanent choices in life go, that's actually a not that much at all.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Maybe you shouldn't think of the game as a "9-5" job. That could go a long way for you to get some enjoyment out of the current system.

Alright, riddle me this: the game has only 6 character models but 24 character slots. The passive skill grid arrangement, shared stash and swappable active skills all tell me that the game wants to me try out completely divergent builds and not get attached to any one character or any one class or any one build.

So I should be starting new characters all the time, try new things as I think of them and not get stuck with just one cookie-cutter build. This is how I should be playing the game, right? Isn't this also gameplay mechanics-wise the same thing as respeccing 3, 4, 5, 6 characters all the time?

So why then does this mechanic to do these "pseudo-respecs" have to be so grindy that it reminds one of a 9-5 job?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Volte posted:

Do you instantly enter the all weapons cheat code into games too, because hey, it's basically the same as just playing the game for however many hours it takes to collect all those things.

I bought Just Cause 2 for 5€ and was ready to uninstall it after 30 minutes of losing 5 minutes of travel time per death, but then I installed an invulnerability cheat mod and went on to play it for 90 hours completing all missions and most races, so maybe..? Whatever makes the game fun.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

The_L posted:

My friend sent me a link to this today, she's going to be trying it soon I guess, and I think she wants me to join her.

I'm super tired and about to go to bed, so I've just skimmed the last couple of pages here - but it looks like the general consensus is at the very least it's not a bad game, and a lot of you seem to even think really highly of it. Is that about right? Is this thing worth a shot?

Yes. Just make sure you both understand how loot works when playing in a party and that you have to distribute it fairly yourselves.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Obscurity posted:

I know it's Open Beta, and that's why although I've expressed some issues above, I'm not really judging it too harshly. All things considered this game is going in the right direction with just about everything..it's just a matter of fixing some of the more glaring issues.

It's open and beta in the same way that Google Mail is open and was beta, then silently hadn't been a beta for a some time until you even noticed.

I lost my interest very quickly and it was due to this:

Obscurity posted:

- Rares are better than most uniques with the exception of 1-2 per slot that are expensive as hell

Apart from itemization, everything in PoE seems designed to be more tedious than the same thing in D3. As for itemization, let me summarize the last few unique items posted in the thread.

8x more damage per second, 1x life on hit, 1x more effective hit points.

1x more EHP, 1x more DPS, 3x more EHP, 1x more DPS, 1x more EHP. (The last one might seem like a gross overgeneralization, but it's quite simple really. Incoming chaos damage has to work through your HP before it can strike the all-important 1st hit point. With this it effectively has to work through more hit points.)

6x more DPS, 1x more active skill uses, 1x movement speed, 1x more buffs giving more DPS and more active skill uses.

This is just as boring as D3's items, or even more so because PoE doesn't have increased pickup range or increased gold find to some add variety to bad items.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Then take another look at them. There are tons of unique stuff that give abilities that you otherwise might not or simply now don't have to. Sure, some are lovely, but I mean for God's sake there's a pair of gloves that let you go viable unarmed. That's cool as hell and there's only more stuff being added every week. If that's not a cool and interesting piece of loot I don't know what to tell ya.

Those gloves are one exception that I know of. I can imagine someone looting those gloves, equipping them and radically changing their play style right from that moment as a result. I thought most uniques would be like this. I still think that's where most uniques should be, but it might be that the game balance couldn't take a combination of a strong passive skill tree and strong unique items at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

It picks up, but the reliance on info from the server makes hitting things with plain single-target attacks always feel off. Combat feels rewarding once you're hitting half the screen with some 4 link skill, where that 80 ms delay isn't noticeable because things are exploding every half a second.

I got bored out of my mind before 4 linked items or even Lesser Multiple Projectiles so I guess the upcoming patch isn't going to be of any help there?

• Locked thread