Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What's a solid first character build? I'm currently playing a wander witch which is... a bit lackluster because I think the build is a bit gear dependent and endgame oriented. I'm thinking about starting another character that would allow me to farm a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

papanugget posted:

Ground slam marauder.

Dream Attack posted:

I know there was a ground slam Marauder suggestion, but I'd honestly advise against that build since it's pretty slow and might not be very fun. Instead, a spectral throw Ranger is a great all-around build and will easily get you to endgame maps without any special gear and only really needs 4-linked items (which are very easy to get) to do great damage.

AnonSpore posted:

You should note, however, that if it's your first character you won't have access to the Scion until you beat Dominus at least once. If you're in the goon guild you can probably ask for one and someone'll give it to you for free, but otherwise you might be reduced to asking in global/trade and that's terrible.

Grizlor posted:

I would actually go for elemental spectral throw instead of physical spectral throw, since all you really need is an ele 1h and to pick up some aura nodes and run wrath/anger and link ST with LMP/Added Lightning/Added Cold.

Thanks all. I actually started both a ranger and a marauder. The ground slam marauder really does seem pretty boring to play. (And a bit ridiculous how it tears through everything with one button spam.) I'm going to try out the ST ranger. With that said, I'm not sure I understand what I need from a Scion though? I did have a ST skill gem drop for me on my witch, is that what AnonSpore meant?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

Why do people in that forum spoiler everything. That link above has spoilers in spoilers!! I don't get it.

Spoilers collapse in that forum which provides better structure and easier reading.

I don't get spoilering the passive tree link, but that's about it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

How is it easier reading to have to click a post 10 times to read it.

Most people don't read a textbook cover to cover. They look at the headings, the table of contents, then pick and choose to read the sections that are important to them. Most posts using spoilers like that are meant to be read that way, I'm guessing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
When should I expect to level out of my Goldrim? I've had it since level 5 and I'm level 45 now and I just don't see anything in the near future that beats the 30% to all resist.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ronya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayauX10MR0M

This review seems to be representative of a non-Diablo-2-nerd's experience of the game

Omg this was so cute. :3:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'd rather them just make it so maps could drop below -3. From the limited stats I have so far, which include the stats from the linked thread, it's stupid to spend currency on maps. Quantity and Pack size are equally important, point for point, in terms of number of maps dropped, and as for level, it's somewhere around 75% based on the level of the map, and <1% affected, point for point, on stuff like rares/magic. In fact, magic seems to actually end up hurting average drop level, though that's probably a sample size error.

Pack size is good if you want to get more maps, but seems to lower your chances at +level maps. Same with Magic. Rares tend to give more +level maps, but less maps overall.

So...

I ran a poisson regression model on the data from that thread for the number of map drops vs each mod (IIQ, magic, pack, and rarity). I found that level of the map was inversely related to the number of drops and there's marginal significance for magic being positively associated with increased map drops, when you adjust for each other. Mind if I take a peek at your data?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone know how some streamers seem to be able to allocate their skill points without confirming? Is it a script? I can't seem to find an option for it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TheRat posted:

I have at least a thousand hours logged in PoE. All of them in HC. I have lost a lot of high level characters. Some were high defense, some were glass cannons. I have never died to desynch. The only time I got even remotely annoyed by desynch was when I played a cylone character, everything else its completely managable or even a non-factor.

This is an opinion based on your experiences and play style. Why can't you accept that these things differ for other people?

I like playing recklessly. Taking risks, trying new things in a death defying manner. Playing races has taught me how to balance that with being just careful enough and picking my battles. However, desync can throw all of that out the window, and it can be extraordinarily frustrating. I almost stick entirely to ranged characters now because of it. Further, for some people, the desync is objectively worse. I don't know why. With the same build and internet connection, my fiance experiences it at a far greater magnitude and frequency than me, and understandably, he gets more frustrated at the game than I do.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Thinking about Arc with Echo if it didn't get nerfed to hell.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Grammaton posted:

As witch you almost have to go ES, hardly any life nodes up there. Crit FP CI witch sounds kinda fun.

Playing with the calculator, it's not hard to get to 135% life, which is enough if you go EB+AA with the tons of ES nodes, I think.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
With this CoD talk, could I get some opinions on my first build? It's Ice Spear focused, using Three Dragons and Elemental Proliferation for burning damage. Switching out Three Dragons if the CC is needed.

Gems would be: Ice Spear - GMP - Spell Echo - Elemental Proliferation - PCoC/LifeLeech

Alternates: Added Lightning, Cold Penetration, Increased Critical Damage

PoE Builder

To c+p:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...fAfogASaRcccXk=

code:
Summary:

+128 life
+139% max life

+44% Armour
+17% all ELE res
+15% cold res

+207 Mana
+10 energy shield
+113% energy shield
+50% Mana
+40% Mana Regen

+12% spell damage
+12% cast speed
+122% elemental damage
+127% cold damage
+75% burning
+2% cold pen

+220% crit 
+140% crit mult

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

10bux posted:

The tree looks good, but reflect is a serious concern with that build. Even with CoD, it's going to be risky. You would definitely have to run Life Leech gem at all times, and I would think about dropping Throatseeker for Nimbleness. Ice Spear with crit multi is exceptionally deadly because of the always crit mechanic. Thus, you see a lot of people running it with totems. Try to gimp your crit multi a little bit and pick up cast speed or spell/elemental damage instead.

That's a good point. Not sure how else to mitigate that though. I feel like the whole point of Ice Spear is the 2nd phase crit. Hmm..

Violently Car posted:

Echo on a proliferation character seems a bit weird, doesn't it? I would rather have a big hit than more casts.

That's a good point. I didn't really think about it because with GMP + almost 100% crit chance in 2nd phase, the 2nd hit would probably catch everyone you didn't catch before. But it's true that the biggest hit is what is used for ignite so I'll probably switch in one of the alternates... not sure which one is best.

NecroMonster posted:

GMP seems less than ideal as well.

My plan is Ice spear - added cold damage - elemental proliferation - increased critical damage (life leech). Wearing a pyre ring to convert cold to fire.

Have you played self cast Ice spear? It's a PITA without at least LMP. I was hoping the increased area for the explosion would make up for the lower damage.

I wanted to use Three Dragons instead of Pyre (not only because I HAVE a Three Dragons from racing) because I wanted to be able to Discharge for emergency freezing.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 18, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

Oh yeah going to carry ice spear - trap - elemental proliferation - increased critical damage for elemental reflect enemies.

Good idea. Stealing that. Or totem with a ll alternate.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MerrMan posted:

God drat, I have no idea what to play on Wednesday!

There's a lot of stuff that seems cool but I'm wary to go these routes on a first character in a new league:
I've seen some good looking bow builds, but kind of want to stay away from that because I'm guessing it's going to be incredibly popular.
Viper Strike looks like it could be very strong now, but totally unproven.
Ice Spear, but all the ones that sound cool rely on either Pyre or Three Dragons to do burn. I don't really want a unique reliant build for starters.

And then the two that I can't really decide between:
Molten Strike (maybe infernal blow?) I haven't played melee and it seems like it might be at a slight disadvantage in Rampage League.
Ethereal Knives - but I've got no clue which way to go with this one! They tend to spread out across the tree pretty far and be built for 105-110 points which is just not something I can hang with. Whenever I try cutting down to something like 90-95 I feel like something critical gets lost in translation and I've just got no clue. Crit or not? CI or Life? EB and MoM? Not a clue.

It's fun but scary. There's a real chance that I just try Ball Lightning and go with basically what I had before.

You can probably run a very solid ice spear build with cold to fire gem and avatar of fire. No unique required.

I incorporated three dragons in mine because it was a race reward.

• Locked thread