Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

dianekwon posted:

How does downloading Mario Kart 7 work? When I boot up my XL for the first time, do I create an account and then I redeem a copy of the game for that account or something like that?

There is no account system. The game permissions are tied to the system and you can download it from that system only through the eShop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

I have a few questions along a similar line about eShop games.

Does it work the same way for eShop games that weren't bundled? I like the idea of having a bunch of my games on the system itself, but what happens if my SD card gets corrupted or something? Can I re-download the games onto a new card? And what happens if the 3DS breaks? If the permissions are tied to the system, how do I get to my games on a replacement 3DS?

If your SD card breaks it is fine. It happened to me. Just go to download history in the eShop and re-download them to a new card. If the 3DS breaks there is not much you can do. Perhaps you can send the systems to Nintendo and they can transfer them?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Hortism posted:

Thanks for this. Shipping is rather steep, but when it factors in to the whole cost of the console it's probably still cheaper than buying a new one here.

Check ebay.com too. You might be able to get a system close to full price without paying too much extra for shipping.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I just upgraded to an XL, it's pretty great so far. Just wondering, they fixed the problem where the bezel on the bottom screen would scratch the top, right? I'll probably spring for screen protectors eventually, but I want to make sure I don't have to stick a cloth between the screens until then.

Yep. Notice how it has two bumps on the top ridge of the top screen? They line up with the raised section of the bottom screen next to the select and start buttons.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
What RPG-like games would you folks recommend here? I already have Tales of the Abyss, but I am struggling to find any other appealing options. I am open to looking into pretty much any game, I just noticed a lack of RPGs I own on this system so far.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Etrian Odyssey IV has a demo out now, why not give that a try?

It looks very interesting but I searched for it on the eShop and the only result is some Nintendo Direct from a year ago. I can't seem to find any information regarding a release date either.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

It's in Games At Retail for some obscure reason. It's supposed to release on the 26th by the way.

Nah it's not in the store at all for me.

It's a shame too, because American games won't work on my system. Any information regarding a release date for Australia, the UK, Europe, New Zealand or some place I can actually import from?

homeless snail posted:

I think you can pretty much count the number of RPGs on one hand right now. Off the top of my head, Tales of the Abyss, Denpa Men, Crimson Shroud, Devil Survivor, and Fire Emblem. Denpa Men I haven't played beyond the demo, seems like it leans very heavily on street passing and searching for wireless hotspots. Crimson Shroud is amazing if you have any sort of reverence for tabletop RPGs, but might be a little tedious if not. Devil Survivor and Fire Emblem definitely lean more towards the Strategy RPG end of things, but they clearly wear their RPG influences on their sleeve. Particularly Devil Survivor, which plays like a regular SMT game in all respects other than moving parties around on an isometric grid.

Kind of lean right now, but there are some decent games on the horizon. Etrian, Soul Hackers, Pokemon, etc.

I'll definitely look into Crimson Shroud, it looks pretty neat as a small downloadable thing.

I am keen for Devil Survivor and Fire Emblem but those haven't been released yet.

Etrian seems to be a mystery and I think Soul Hackers has like zero chance of being released here but I can hope.

I still have 3 games to look forward to in Fire Emblem, Devil Survivor and Pokemon but it seems like my options are very limited at the moment.

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 9, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

It's a DS game and I don't know if it's available in your area or if you have played it yet, but have you looked into Radiant Historia? I would consider it the Xenoblade of the DS, in that it's probably the best RPG i've played on a handheld system in years.

Not released here but yay DS I can import it. Alright, I think I have some ideas of what I can do for this month on my 3DS.

It was a poor choice of mine to get an Australian 3DS wasn't it? Are these release issues and delays going to be a theme? I had almost forgotten the woes of region locks this past generation.

Also I just realised something funny. Etrian Odyssey 4, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers and Radiant Historia are all published by Atlus in America. What the hell is up with their games not being published outside America?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I don't believe Atlus has a European branch to handle publishing games over there, which is why Euro publishers like Rising Star, NISA, or Ghostlight do it for them.

Thanks for that, I have never bought a Europe published Atlus game before, all of mine are imported. Apparently I am supposed do all kinds of research into stupid publisher related business nonsense to avoid missing out on games. Ugh, what's a good asking price for a used American 3DS XL? I am going to go looking. I am crazy but I am not going to put up with both higher prices AND these constant release issues. I am an idiot for forgetting about this nonsense when buying the 3DS, knowing it was region locked.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yes. I did this too but I had the excuse that they didn't bother to let anyone know they'd be doing digital releases, despite the capacity for this being integrated into the system since before launch.

Yeah I bought my first 3DS back in September 2011 so the same thing for me. Didn't have all of the information I have now to base my decision on. Bought an XL last August and wanted one I could transfer my eShop stuff to.

I am not sure what to do. I definitely want to get a US system. At the moment I have the following:

- My original 3DS with nothing installed on it. I don't use it but I've been too lazy to sell it.
- My XL with 6 eShop games (Shantae: RR, Pullblox, Fallblox, VVVVVV, Mighty SF and Picross E)
- 8 game cards(Resident Evil Revelations, Tales of the Abyss, Theatrhythm, SM3DL, Tom Clancy SW, Kid Icarus, Tetris, Layton MM).

So I guess I have 3 options that make sense to me (maximising playtime on a XL):
- Transfer eShop games to my old 3DS, Sell my XL (should get an extra $50 easy over the original), buy a US XL, buy future games as US versions.
- Sell my original 3DS (maybe $110-$120), buy an original US 3DS and buy only US exclusives for that system.
- Sell my original 3DS, spend a lot of money and buy the US XL, buying games wherever I can find the lowest price across both regions.

So I have a few questions. I am leaning towards that second option as the cheapest for me. The cheapest way I could get games on launch is the US eShop ($40 USD). The European store accepts foreign cards, does the US store? If not, is there a way to buy eShop value cards at face value with an Australian credit card?

Any recommendation of an online store that ships to Australia cheaply and sells US games? I am familiar with Play-Asia, they sell games for ~$43AUD new, but they don't drop their prices often aside from their weekly/daily specials.

How much more should I expect to pay for a US XL over an original? I am fine with buying used as long as it is in fairly good condition.

Sorry for the wall of text, I know there is frequent complaining about region locks in this thread. I just have not figured out a neat and tidy way to overcome the regions lock on this system yet.

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 9, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately that videogamesplus site adds $7.50 shipping for each game you add even if you order several all at once. That's not really fair.

I'll go hunting for some used stuff and see what I kind find. I think the best option is to keep my current XL for most games, as that gives me a much wider variety of places to buy from (with cheaper shipping). I haven't finished everything I own yet either so I want to keep my saves.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Fabulous Knight posted:

Man, I want to get this thing, but I don't see myself playing it outside my house that much, probably mainly on vacations and such. This means that it would mostly serve as an in-house handheld for me, but on the other hand it has a lot more software that I'm interested in compared to the Wii U, an actual home console. I also don't like handhelds all that much and usually don't get much playtime out of them... sigh...

Buy it for the games and not for the portability. It's not crazy; the 3DS has some pretty neat exclusives, and I never take mine outside. Cheaper than a Wii U too.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Flame112 posted:

Unfortunately this didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Try manually setting an IP address for your 3DS to connect to your router. If you don't know how this can be a bit of a hassle but it is worth trying.

1. You need to find the local IP address for your router. Assuming a typical home network setup this is how I would find it. Easiest way is to go to a connected PC, for Windows 7 go to Control Panel and search for network connection. Select network connections and right click on the connection associated with your router. Hit status and then Details... the IP address you need is listed next to IPv4 Default Gateway. In most cases it is 192.168.1.1 . If it is not let me know. Also note down what is next to IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and DNS servers.

2. Go to your 3DS connection setup. New connection > Manual Setup > Manual Setup.

3. Under SSID enter the name of the wireless router access point you are trying to connect to. Make sure there are no errors.

4. Under Security select what you have (likely WPA2-PSK (AES)).

5. Under IP Address select not to auto-obtain. Detailed Setup.

6. For IP Address you need to enter an address that was NOT listed under "IPv4 Address" on your computer's network. Your computer's was likely something like 192.168.1.2 . You need to select an IP address in the same range that is not being used. Try something like 192.168.1.100 . The first 3 sections of that number need to be the same as your computer's connection, the last number needs to be different, and under 255.

7. Enter subnet mask the same as on your computer.

8. Enter Gateway as it is listed under Default Gateway on your computer. This is likely 192.168.1.1 . OK.

9. Under DNS enter the two DNS addresses the same as listed on your computer. If there was none use 8.8.8.8 for now.

10. Hit OK. Save your connection and try it again.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm looking for advice with this as well.

1. Line up the protector so it is as close to the left edge as possible, the yellow tab hanging over the left. Same with the top tab.
2. Carefully remove the yellow parts of the tab and stick it to the system being careful not to move the alignment. Same with the top tab.
3. Press your finger against the screen in a position slightly left of centre. Keep it pressed as we continue.
4. Pull the rightmost tab slowly so that the underside of the protector is removed. Keep your finger pressed steady.
5. As you fully remove the underside carefully press down the screen protector so that there are no bubbles. Use the flat piece of cardboard included to help.
6. Remove the top layer by peeling from the upper right tab. Done.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Etrian Odyssey being released in Europe... and Code of Princess? Wow. I am seriously impressed with how not poo poo Nintendo Europe are being recently.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
With the announcement of a Europe release for Etrian Odyssey and Code of Princess I am going to hold off buying a US 3DS. I am taking this as a sign that Nintendo are actually trying to fix game releases in Europe, even if they have to publish them themselves. I have hopes that given time we won't be missing out on much.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Well, the fact you can't even call it by its actual name is telling, but yeah, Football is strangely not popular in the US, whereas the rest of the world can't shut up about it.

And Europe just loves Football simulators. Ask Sega. Heck, they kept releasing portable versions of Football Manager on the PSP from 2007 to 2012, just because the PSP was somewhat popular here.

I live in Australia and call it soccer. It is not about some weird elitist "It's soccer not football!" attitude like I see commonly see paraded around. In fact it is an abbreviation of Association Football. Also we have several types of "football" here commonly played so it makes sense to differentiate the name.

To be honest I have not really gotten into a soccer videogame before, I have found the Fifa series to be a bit too much on the simulation side for me to really get into it. I have always wanted to try a game that added more gamey features into. What is this Inazuma series all about?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Hell, "soccer" or "football" isn't even that important when it comes to that. The relevant bit is that it's not enough popular in NA for Nintendo to release Inazuma Eleven there. The Football Manager PSP is a good example on what I was trying to convey; Sega didn't even bother to bring those games back to Japan, they were from the ground up developed for Europe alone.

There was some talk that even the Inazuma Eleven anime series was getting localized in some countries around here because it would be most likely as popular as Captain Tsubasa was back in the day. I'm not sure if that went anywhere, though.

It's a tactical RPG series completely focused on the sport. A good one, in fact.

Yeah you are probably right, I don't really know how popular it is in America but I would have thought based off local popularity it would be big enough to justify these game release. I mean I don't live in Europe and soccer here is well under Aussie rules, cricket and rugby in popularity but I know a lot of people that follow the European leagues and thoroughly enjoy it.

This sounds like exactly the kind of sports game I enjoy, I will look into it.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

lelandjs posted:

For what it's worth, I've had no trouble at all with my non-name (aData) 8Gb MicroSD card and adapter. It's a Class 6 card; maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm going on a class 4 Sandisk 16GB microSD in a generic adapter. If the card is old it might have contact issues?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Everyone but the Americans get shafted. It's not a specific country. The Japanese pay absurd money on their videogames. The Europeans and Australians do so, as well. It's not a matter of currency -- it's how much the companies figure out they can push people to pay.

Don't forget the Americans are also the only ones getting a charger with their 3XL's.

Nah, Australia also gets an AC adapter with our 3DS XLs.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

This comes after some dude on GameFAQs who claims to be present in internal S-E meetings said the following:

Grains of salt and all, but those are signs and I WANT TO BELIEVE.

In other news, the European version of Devil Survivor Overclocked release date has been apparently pushed again, now to April according to Amazon UK. That one's probably not going to happen either, but if it does, that's the date Fire Emblem is out here, so well done, Ghostlight and Atlus.

Yeah I am pretty sure that we will eventually get Bravely Default some day in the long distant future. As for DS:O? You surely aren't telling me that there is an incompetent European publisher of an Atlus game! What a shock, I am sure we will all appreciate the the near two years delay.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hey there should be a certain happy man at everyone's Mii Plaza gate right now if you connect to Spot Pass.

What's this about? Nothing is there for me.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You have to wait until the blue light shows up. Usually takes a minute or so and I find it happens faster if the 3DS is closed while connected.

Yeah nothing is happening. My connection is working because I am getting Letter Box notifications and all that. What's supposed to happen?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, at least not for Pokemon. The manual does have the "-AUS" descriptor at the end of its item code. The ROMs on the carts are (usually) the general EU one, though, so I dunno.

Something interesting I noticed, my Australian Kid Icarus cart has the -AUS tag on the cart but my AU Monster Hunter 3 cart has the -EUR tag. It tells me that sometimes we just straight up get the European version of games and sometimes we don't. It's inconsistent.

Katana Gomai posted:

Also, if anyone in Europe still hasn't figured out what the different colored triangles on the 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U boxes mean: They stand for the release region of the game. Purple is Germany, green is UK, light green is Scandinavia etc.

My Tales of the Abyss case has the purple triangle yet the back of box has English and French languages. The cart has the -UKV tag.

All of my Europe imports have the green triangle except for Tales. The Australian cases have no triangles at all.

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 29, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Looking forward to finally receiving my broken copy after 2 years! I love Atlus and Ghostlight.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
They have ~acknowledged the problem~ http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/important-message-about-devil-survivor-overclocked-on-3ds

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Zero Escape isn't there, like other than Fire Emblem the one major 3ds game I want to play.

There isn't any other RPGs for the 3DS is there?

VLR is definitely on the eShop. It might not be if you live in a more obscure region though. Try changing your shop region to a bigger country.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Oh yeah I was talking about Europe. Sorry I just assumed that if it got an eShop release here it would definitely be available in America. The stores change depending on what region you select too so that could have been a probably reason is what I was thinking.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Strangely enough VLR is not called "Zero Escape" in the Europe eShop.

I am wondering if I should just not bother with the Europe release of DSO. I could always play the DS original but I guess it is too early to say whether the 3DS version will get fixed or not. I hope they do the patch option and not a recall (a recall option is fine though I guess). I don't want to have to send my copy all the way back to Europe for this.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I noticed that Agatsuma self-published Code of Princess as a download only in Europe. Is there any reason why Atlus can't do the same?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
It is interesting how games like Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory are on Australian shelves before it was even released in NA and the Atlus games struggle so make it over.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I have faith that Square Enix will release it in Europe if they do in NA. They aren't Atlus.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

The region locking's been mostly about the games we end up not getting at all, mostly stuff from Atlus or oddball games from Japan. It's a practice that makes no sense in this modern era when there's no more worries about PAL and NTSC TV signals.

NOE's all right, usually. Their late life support for the Wii was astonishing. They tried to make that 3DS web TV thing relevant in as many countries in Europe as possible, which is also rather laudable.

They are, however, dropping the ball with release dates lately. You guys have been playing Fire Emblem for two months now for one, and now delaying other games apparently because of launch window conflicts that should not have existed in the first place (the EU launch calendar was completely empty for the first two months of 2013) is bordering incompetence and disrespect for their customers. The estimated release date for Devil Training is now September.

Region locking has never really been about PAL/NTSC compatibility. If it were due to that they wouldn't lock Japan into its own region yeah? Both the US and Japan used NTSC?

Was Fire Emblem delayed due to them adding more languages? It sucks that we have to wait for that to be done, doubly so living in countries that are English only like the UK or Australia.

I can tolerate region locking to some extent as long as they actually give equal attention to each region. When a 3DS game gets a simultaneous release I really don't care that I can't buy the American version. When we have to frequently wait months for a finished game to be released here when they have technology like eShop downloads it seems somewhat hard to justify. Surely having Fire Emblem unavailable for 2 months when hype and discussion is at its peak would be damaging to potential sales? At least it seems that most 3DS games of interest are going to available here eventually.

Has there been much study about how region locking actually affects sales and profit? I imagine there would be a fine balance between all of the potential profit lost to people importing for cheaper and the profit gained by people buying otherwise unavailable games from other countries. Surely both groups of people there would be a really small number, most people don't import. And if importing were such a problem why don't they lock Australia and NZ to their own region when they have significantly higher prices than much of Europe?

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 8, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

In my experience with the DS, PSP, and PS3 (all region-free systems), from people I know, from watching ebay trends, from paying attention to what's going on in these forums and elsewhere, the only importing going on is related with completely unavailable titles. Yes, there's some dude somewhere who's raging about paying more and having to wait a month or so to get a game so he would go the import route, but he's a tiny little minority. We import to get the Etrian Odyssey's, the Ouendan's, etc, the games nobody will bother to bring here. Any sane person understands it's not feasible to bring every single game to a specific region and in those cases, bugger, let's deal with huge postage fees, customs, missing packages and the works. Region-locking removes this choice and makes it a huge frustration to come online, see people happily playing games that you'll never have access to and know you can't do squat about it.

This discussion wasn't about region-locking, though (thanks, Len), but that NOE is messing up with release dates for no good reason. It does not benefit customers, it does not benefit them. I'm glad Iwata figured out doing a massive, simultaneous worldwide release for the new Pokémon was a great idea.

Oh yeah sorry I understand the reasons for importing, I do a lot of importing myself. I import almost all of my console games simply because European versions tend to be a good 30% cheaper or more than Australia. I just don't know why we are still doing these "PAL" region releases. I know it is a relic from days where NTSC systems were incompatible with our TVs but those days are long gone and we are still waiting months for localisations we don't need.

I just think it is really strange to delay an English language release in countries like the UK and Australia when it is already finished in shipped in other countries. The SMT:Overclocked situation is an exaggerated example of how ridiculous it can get and it makes you wonder about why this is still happening.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Actually, it depends on the game. For the longest time, Pokemon localizations went almost entirely through me.
People'd wait for my J-to-E text, and then do German, French, etc., based on my English.
It made for a lot of schedule juggling--in order to get games out faster, we'd identify the system text and do those first so QA work can proceed, and get other language translators working.
Now, I understand Pokemon translates from the JP up into all languages, but that's not always the case.

Interesting, I also hear the the next Pokemon game will be getting a simultaneous release in 5 languages so they are probably all working independently off the Japanese text this time around, or at least that would make the most sense. First time they have done a simultaneous release for Pokemon yeah?

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 8, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This one ships to Australia with $16 shipping, not too bad

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-XL-Red-Black/dp/B008GEH8LQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A133CKJ7CPNI6R

Good luck with everything else on the eShop...

Huh, that's about the same price as a local one so not bad at all. If I knew about this earlier I wouldn't have bought my Euro 3DS XL and instead bought this and kept my old 3DS.

FrickenMoron posted:

Should have said that im from the EU. Is buying from the eShop problematic? I thought playasia or some store sells cards for that.

Yeah you need to buy US cards for that. Most online places that sell them put a premium on them so you are actually not going to end up saving any money over the Euro eShop.

The main reason to buy a US 3DS is for the exclusive games, not for cheaper prices because after you factor in shipping you aren't saving much if anything compared to Europe.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

In theory, you won't miss out on Atlus games anymore thanks to NISA signing up as the official Atlus EU publisher. If Rune Factory 4 comes here as well I won't be missing any game I want for the 3DS, which is a good thing. Last year I entertained the idea of getting a US system, but if things continue going well like this I won't need one at all.

Yeah it is looking good. We may still have to deal with delays and all that nonsense but I can put up with that as long as we get the games. There are a few unconfirmed games like Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Soul Hackers, but we will probably at least get SMT4.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Midnight on the 18th.

What I think:

Expected
- Pokemon XY
- Animal Crossing
- Fire Emblem stuff

Maybe
- Etrian Odyssey 4 release date

Hopeful
- Shin Megami Tensei 4 announcement
- SMT Soul Hackers announcement
- more Japanese localisation

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
So apparently Europe is getting Bravely Default in 2013 and America in 2014. Huh.

Also in the online version Bravely Default has "temporary title" next to it. Understandably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

The tradeoff for probably not getting SMT IV 'til 2015.

I don't want to read too much into it but they showed different trailers for the Europe and America streams for Bravely Default. On the Europe stream they prominently featured voiced scenes in Japanese with English subtitles. On the American stream there were no voiced scenes in the trailer. On the American stream it was said that it was being published by Nintendo. America gets a later release date.

Does this perhaps mean that we are not getting a dubbed version in Europe but America is?

• Locked thread