Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The graphics on that new Mario and Luigi looks fantastic, the style carried over really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The European version of Luigi's Mansion 2 has a glow-in-the-dark cover, neat:

poo poo's out in a week or two, someone should probably start a thread for it.

I'll totally do it if no one else wants to

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll totally do it if no one else wants to

Actually screw it; I'm typing it up right now. I love me some Luigi's Mansion

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538684

I think I may of overdid it a bit.

Edit: Woops; edited in the block requirement.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 16, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just finished Harmoknight. I got a silver on every "boss" encounter due to always seeming to make one little mistake (or int he case of the boat boss a million)

For some reason it seemed like the timing on the d-pad prompts was all hosed up, but that may just be me with my ham hands

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I'm suddenly getting really interested in Animal Crossing New Leaf due to a friend going on and on about all the new things in it. It comes out in a couple months right?

Wonder if I'll get arrested when I pick it up; I remember reading a article about the police force in my area thinking any adults who pick it up are only getting it to lure children home or something :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Falcon posted:

Um, what? :psyduck: Seriously, what. Why Animal Crossing of all things? It's just a cutesy sandbox game.

But yeah, it comes out June 9th (assuming you're in NA). Personally, I can't wait! Any word on whether we're getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle?

Took me a minute to find

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is the eShop down? I wanted to try out Witch + Hero but I keep getting error messages.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So just wanted to post my thoughts, there was a quirky little retro styled game called Witch and Hero (that I was somewhat interested in) and... I can't think I can recommend going out and buying a card for it specifically. No idea if that should be a surprise or not considering how low key and "whatever" it is but still.

It plays somewhat like Half Minute Heroe's Knight mode (PSP/PC version) where you control a Hero who has to protect the Witch that's been turned to stone by Medusa. There's no real combat so to say, the witch stands in the middle of the field while enemies come in all around the screen to kill her and you need to ram into them to defeat enemies.

This can get boring pretty quickly, but they quickly introduce a blood mechanic where enemies drop blood, and if you can fill up a meter the witch will revive for about 5 seconds and spam the poo poo out of either a fireball spell that shoots like a spread shot (it starts with only one fireball though) and a tornado spell that's somewhat slow to come out but spirals around the field hitting mostly everything numerous times.

Between levels you can spend money you find to upgrade how fast you run, your defense, attack, and the Witch's spells, and later on in the game you unlock Hero Mode where if you fill up a little meter at the top by doing numerous attacks in rapid succession and when activated you auto-revive the Witch and your Knight powers up and the two of you go absolutely apeshit on everything for a little while.

The shop and stats though is what kill the game and make it hard to recommend, while the stages don't vary at all (it's basically just a background and some enemies that are themed for the setting) there's a LOT of grinding. You can be the worlds best player but it won't matter if you don't grind, and each level garuntee's failure for the first 3-4 tries at it. It's only got 20 levels and it feels like it just ramps up way to quickly, and its kind of stupid. I've literally spent a hour powering up enough that I can complete just a couple levels, and when the maps don't change at all and nothing really unique happens after you unlock all the basic mechanics it just becomes a slog.

It's only 3.99 on the Eshop but I'd only suggest picking it up if you have the spare money and don't know what to do with it.

Ah well

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 23, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaubocks posted:

First you compare it to the best mode in Half-Minute Hero then you tell me the game is kinda lovely.

You're breaking my heart here.

It's why I was so interested in it in the first place :sigh:.

Here's some gameplay (The first couple stages are really slow, so may not be the best representation)

Gameplay tutorial (Shows off more)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 23, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

limaCAT posted:

Did I tell you guys to go and buy Witch and Hero from eShop?

Buy Witch and Hero people, it's a good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etE79lhZx70

Going against this and say it's absolutely mediocre at best. Already posted my thoughts earlier though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really like the villain designs for the Mario+Luigi games

Antasma looks neat!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Color Printer posted:

Partners in Time is okay but whoever decided that it really needed a three-part final boss with a ton of HP can go gently caress themselves, especially when the Phase Three is Phase Two But Needlessly Harder.

First time I got to the final boss I had avoided encounters when I didn't feel like fighting and was pretty weak.

I ran out of BP/FP whatever it was called and had to do normal attacks only

Each attack only did 3-5 damage

I was at it for a few hours no joke. :suicide: Then I found out they jacked her HP up in the US version for no goddamn reason and got all kinds of mad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What are the odds we're getting that Luigi 3DS? I kinda wanna upgrade and Luigi's my favorite game character so figured that would only be logical.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mine's pretty normal, I remember setting up my streetpass message to "get a vita" around the time the thing came out and never cared to change it though.

It's super funny when I get Nintendo reps showing up and my Mii says it though so haven't bothered to change it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bottom Liner posted:

So for you guys getting AC:NL at midnight, what do you plan on doing if all the shops are closed at night? Does the clock change trick still work?

It does!

It's also the only time I'm going to let myself time travel, and it's just so I can make sure I get at least one villager I like (there are a lot I like)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question but is it a known problem for old 3DS's to overheat?

Just started up animal crossing and had a friend over and about 10 minutes later I noticed my hands were getting really hot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's your battery. It's just using a bit more power since you're playing online.

Strange, I've played Mario Kart 7, and several other online games in marathons, including Animal Crossing with a few friends for a couple hours. I never noticed anything but I had to put a fan on it now to get it to cool off.

I was planning on upgrading to the Luigi 3DSXL if it ever comes out, but still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

Looks like there's been rumblings of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney coming to Europe, or at least just France.

I'm not sure to be more excited or baffled at this (continued) reversal of fortune with NA releases.

Ugh, this is super frustrating.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm late as poo poo most likely but what's up with this? Is this coming to America at all?

It looks like fun :sigh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So goons who have Mario and Luigi I have to ask if Bowser is funny in the game?

The whole thing is still strange to me as I remember reading that Miyamoto crippled Sticker Star because he wanted no new characters and Bowser should be super spooky or whatever yet here comes M+L throwing like a dozen new species at the bros and apparently Bowser (from a short shot I saw in a trailer) says words again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

I have to assume the majority of the humor is gonna come from Luigi since it's his dream. The last one was all about Bowser so you got spoiled on funny Bowser stuff!

I need to play Bowser's Inside Story still

Yes you should play it soon, so good.

And I'm aware, I was just worried he'd be a mute again or played as a super villain-crack-no-jokes kind of guy. Also I'm perfectly fine with Luigi being the source of humor. He's probably my favorite video game character :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait where was Kirby? Was it only in the Japanese stream? I missed it :gonk:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's Kirby! I love that beetle hat :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh dear

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Me and my friends loved sending notes to each other, so thanks nintendo for stripping features away for literally no reason.

Seriously what a rear end in a top hat move.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Timely Howard posted:

+*
Can you imagine how lovely those guys have it sometimes? Like when Mother 2 came out on the Virtual Console in Japan, the Japanese community just wanted to swap screenshots and talk about the game and poo poo, but the entire MiiVerse board was filled with people going "WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO"

To be fair, that is what led to them finally letting English users play Earthbound again. I don't go to the Japanese communities as I have no reason to but I don't think Nintendo is going to stop it after putting up a video going "We've heard you loud and clear guys and now you get what you want!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I got a Mario and Luigi XL 3DS for christmas :v:!

Thing is I have a digital copy of Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem on my normal 3DS, I'm aware that there's no accounts or anything like that but is there any way to get the two games/save files off my SD card and onto this new one with Mario and Luigi on it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

homeless snail posted:

Do a system transfer and it'll merge all the licenses onto your new system, and then you can just swap the SD cards. You'll have to redownload Mario from the eshop afterwards.

Fair enough! First time doing this and a bit excited is all. Though it keeps telling me I need to launch the eShop on my original 3DS first despite having done that several times before.

Edit: Oh found out why, nevermind on that bit. Guess I'll have to wait for the eShop itself to work then :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got my old 3DS and new XL to fully transfer. Now my XL is trying to get online and keeps failing, and then resetting to auto retry only to fail again. It's a endless loop :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

VarrosAnon posted:

Sunshine has way, way more open space than any other recent Mario game. Man, Sunshine was so good. Probably my favorite Mario game ever.

Recently watched the speedrun of Sunshine in the summer games done quick backlog and man it's amazing how fast and fluid that game could be. I think the only thing I really didn't like while watching it was how horrifically ugly every single enemy was. It made Delfino feel like it was it's own thing but MAN the designs looked bad. Even the Boos are messed up beyond repair and they're just supposed to be standard bedsheet ghosts!

Also glad the eShop is finally back, just got around to updating my copy of pokemon and redownloading dream team :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also glad the eShop is finally back, just got around to updating my copy of pokemon and redownloading dream team :v:

Okay so I downloaded the patch to Pokemon then downloaded all of Mario and Luigi- went to start Pokemon and it says that the update neer happened and now the 3DS eshop is down again. I WATCHED it finish 1.2 so I have no idea what the hell it's doing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

I feel like I am the anti-goon right now. I really feel like LBW wasn't that good. It was short, lacked progression and every single dungeon being 'use literally only one item' was really terrible.

I never liked LttP though, so the callbacks never really got to me. Also I don't really like 2D Zelda in general, even though I love the 3D games.

Nah I'm with you though I do like the 2D games, I didn't think it was a bad game but I do think people are overselling it a bit. Each dungeon outside of Lorule Death Mountain felt like it was over in 5 minutes (Thieves hideout and Turtlerock being the biggest offenders) and I only really had trouble with one of the bosses. I didn't care for any of the characters and it just felt kind of lukewarm to me.

I thought it was a step in the right direction that Zelda needed but it just wasn't balanced properly as you get stronger but with how the dungeons work they have a static difficulty. Even Hero Mode stopped being scary as soon as I got a few heart containers/blue mail.

I'd pick it up if you have a 3DS but I don't think people should run out and buy a system exclusively for it.

Though that out of the way I'm a bit nervous to dive into the PW thread but just picked up Dual Destinies and realized poo poo- I never played Apollo Justice and the only thing I know from it is people dislike Apollo and some magician girl is apparently Phoenix's daughter or something. Does that game get referenced a lot? I think I may of just made a horrible mistake.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cake Attack posted:

That's literally all you need to know. Trucy is Phoenix's adopted daughter, and Apollo's half-sister (only Phoenix knows). Nobody liked Apollo, but now they do. Also there's was a German prosecutor named Klavier and he was an alright guy.

Alright cool. I know a lot of things got tied into the last game of the original trilogy so got worried for a moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fix posted:

Ooh, sweet, a rich vein. Making a list, thanks guys.

Seriously get 999 and it's sequel Virtue's Last Reward.

There's going to be a third game in that series sometime but the first two are really well loved and really REALLY good. Only problem with VLR is that the models they use can look a little off at times.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Problem I had with Dream Team is the areas are huge and there's only like 2 enemy types in those areas. In Mario and Luigi 2 I got to the final boss and had no power and it was literally a 2 hour long fight for me because I was weak as hell. I did a second playthrough and killed every single enemy and leveled up and found it a lot easier.

BIS I went through beating every enemy to a pulp and had a fun time

Dream Team I got to the desert relatively early on and halfway through I just said gently caress it because there were way too many enemies and to little types. And that just kept going on and on. I feel like playing it again (especially due to getting the 3DSXL with it) but every time I start I just kind of wince to that desert.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Speaking of not censoring a thing I have a friend who discovered Senran Kagura Burst and is telling me that "dude you'd totally love it!! It's a awesome character action game!"

Looked up some footage and uh... has anyone else actually played this? I can look past a lot of stuff but last time I did I ended up with Hyper Dimension Neptunia Mk2 and I wish I hadn't wasted my time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is the eShop working for anyone else? I got in fine but friend of mine is getting errors for some reason.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

Did anyone buy Mario Party? It's been a long time since I played one of those games and I'm kinda in the mood for it - is it any good?

It's absolutely terrible in almost every way.

The minigames are alright at best but the boards are all "get from point A to B" and are only 20-30 spaces long at best. It's easily possible to finish a entire board in 15-20 minutes. Picture Mario Party 9 but even shorter and less interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lakbay posted:

My friends just bought me a 2ds so I could play pokemon with them and I was wondering how sticker star turned out? I remember hearing some negative reviews about it but I'm one of those weirdos who enjoyed Super Paper Mario despite it being a big let down from PM and PM2.

If you treat it like a point and click adventure game it's kind of alright but as a rpg it's awful.

• Locked thread