Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Do we have a definitive release date for the new Mario & Luigi game? Or is it just "sometime, probably 2014" like most of Nintendo's showings at E3? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Of course, I jumped on the XL day one. I was just asking if The Gunslinger was having issues because maybe he has a regular 3DS since he didn't specify.

I was gonna say "I don't have any problems with the regular". Then I remembered I have the hands of a grade schooler.

So yeah, get the XL unless it's for a child or you have tiny elf hands like me. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

So after more than a year of owning a 3DS, I finally went out and registered for this Club Nintendo thing. Is there a way to register dowloaded titles that you bought before registering your 3DS? Or am I screwed out of this store credit deal?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Are there any plans to bring Super Nintendo and N64 games to the 3ds via the virtual console? I don't actually know if N64 games on the 3ds are possible, but I would think SNES games would be?

The 3DS can definitely play SNES and N64 games. But for some reason Nintendo is pretty adamant about keeping handheld only titles on the 3DS' Virtual Console, with some exceptions.

Now that I think about it, putting console games on the 3DS would give me even less reason to get a WiiU. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

So why is everyone saying that I should wait for Platinum status? What exactly is the reward for that?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

surc posted:

1) I'm poor.
2) Reviews, word of mouth, gameplay footage. The same way I determine whether or not I will buy any other games that I can't get a demo of.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "wait for" in the sentence, so apologies if this is totally not what you were asking for, but you reach platinum status by having gotten some amount (I'm blanking at the moment) of coins/stars over the course of a year. You don't have to still have them at the end of the year, you can spend them on whatever rewards, and it will keep track of the fact that you got them at all. If you have gotten the required number (600?) over the year, Nintendo will give you free stuff (not games, AFAIK, feel free to correct me anybody who knows differently).
If you only got enough to get Gold, Nintendo will give you less stuff, and fewer options for stuff to chose between. If you didn't make gold, Nintendo will use their spy satellite to send a signal that makes your newest system stop working, and only boot to a screen which says "SPEND MORE MONEY. GIVE US MORE CONSUMER DATA."

Okay. What kind of swag did they give out last year?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pastrymancy posted:

I think I might miss out. I didn't register my 3DS until after I purchased FE: Awakening. :ohdear:

Thanks for the help anyways!

You can contact Nintemdo's customer support and ask them to retroactively register FE for you. The same thing happened to me, and they fixed it up with no fuss.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Annexed posted:

This might be a stupid question but are all new releases going to be on the eshop from now on? Or are there some games that just won't be put up there?

Are they going to start putting DS games up there eventfully?

All major first party releases will have an ehop and physical version. Otherwise it depends on the game, and developer (Capcom seems pretty keen on digital downloads).

Also, I really doubt they'll put DS games on the eshop. They haven't even put in GBA games outside of the Ambassador stuff.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Does Kokuga have anything to do with Ikaruga? Is it any good regardless?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kokuga was designed by a guy called Hiroshi Iuchi who worked on Ikaruga and a bunch of other games for Treasure.

It's a top-down tank shooter (not to be mistaken for a twin-stick game like Geometry Wars or whatever) with an interesting branching stage system and local co-op via Download Play. I wouldn't call it a hardcore STG exactly but I'm not sure it'd have a lot of casual appeal, either.

Huh. Is the soundtrack/artstyle/general aesthetics similar to Ikaruga? That was the reason why I loved it so much.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

pixaal posted:

I'm probably going to use it for a wiiU title, and if I have to use it for the 3DS it will fill its intended purpose and be used as DLC. For some reason I love digital downloads and was delighted at the idea of the 3DS getting them when I bought animal crossing. I find I miss having the game as a cartage :v: I buy my 3DS titles physical, at least I can always sell them this way.

I don't own a single wiiU title that isn't digital though! I think I just hate discs.

Pretty sure that you can only use that credit for 3DS games.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh hey, Earthbound is out for VC! But only for WiiU. :negative:
Is there any reason they won't release it for the 3ds?

Because it's a console game, therefore it won't be in the 3DS' library.

Alternatively, it's an incentive to get a WiiU, and it's probably the best one yet.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably a bit about having to redownload a preinstalled game when upgrading your SD card with a special 3DS bundle like the Fire Emblem one or AC one.

Yes, please. Can explain if/how you can do this. This is my primary reservation for buying a special edition XL (the other is holding out for the MH4 one).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

fronz posted:

If I've got two SD cards, and one has saves and games on it, is it possible to transfer them via computer? I honestly don't really care about transferring the games, I can redownload those, but is there any way to transfer saves between SD cards conveniently?

Yes, just drag and drop all the files from the card to your desktop, then to the new card. All the games, licenses, saves, whatever will be transferred.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How sensitive is the accelerometer on the 3DS? Could I say, leave it closed in a backpack while on the train and get a shitload of Play Coins?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Because if you don't, you'll never really get used to it. Everybody giving up after ten minutes or whatever simply didn't take the week or two it takes to adjust.

Sorry, but I'd rather not deal with a week of eye strain and headaches just so some parts of a game will look prittier.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

crazkylo posted:

My XL seems to not be able to connect to the internet. It gets to my access point just fine, but just wont go through to the internet. It was working just a couple of days ago I need my awful goon swapnotes.

Does your access point require some sort of verification through a website (like most hotels/schools)? Then it won't work because the 3DS checks connectivity by going to a Nintendo site, which would be blocked without authorization.

If this is the case, then you have to your system admin and have them manually add the 3DS's MAC address to a white list of approved devices.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I never use the 3D, and never cared about it. I just wanted a DS with upgraded hardware.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

21 year old male who generally hates cute things, and I like the e-shop bag. :shobon:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Sober posted:

Just curious but the Nintendo eShop, is there any reason to buy retail releases off of it or am I better off getting a cart? Are there any discounts on the eShop from time to time? Or should I just leave it to pick up those Streetpass games and whatever VC releases make it up there?

The 3DS doesn't have a proper account system so, if you lose/break the system you lose all the games you have on it. On the other hand, you get all the convenience of a digital game (don't have to go to store, no waiting for discoveries, no boxes/carts to keep track of etc.) Personally, I think its worth the risk.

Discounts and promotions pop up often enough, but they're never as dramatic as a Steam sale.

quote:

Also any reason a lot if not all SNES games on VC happen to be Wii/WiiU VC only? I feel like the 3DS could tackle most of these (as it also plays ports of N64 games anyway).

Thanks!

Because the Snes/Wii/WiiU are all home consoles! :downs:

Real reason: otherwise there would be even less incentive to get a WiiU.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Just give me my Metroid Dread already :cry:

Or let Retro make another Metroid Prime.

Anything but another Other: M. :negative:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Welp, screw your Pokemons, it is time for some portable gaming

not pictured but nearby: Dragon Quest Monsters, Dragon Quest VII

Goddammit, I want that so badly. Announce MH4 already Capcom! :negative:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Burger Trench posted:

Okay so I'm a very casual video game player but I have a weakness for Nintendo games. I'm thinking about buying a 2DS because I don't really care about 3D and I do care about saving $70. A lot of what I've read about the 2DS seems to suggest I shouldn't buy it unless it is for a child. Is this just a gamer elitism thing, or is it really worth the extra money to invest in an XL? It seems like a 2DS would serve my purposes.

Personally, the main sticking point against the 2DS is just plain ugly looking.

The XL, on the otherhand has much larger screen, much better battery life, and generally better build quality. But if you don't care about any of that, and are short on cash, go ahead and buy the 2DS.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SubNat posted:

You could always try this, it's got a whooping 20~ hour battery life.
Won't work in the charging cradle anymore, though.
:getin:

( It's a Mugen extended battery, if you're actually interested. )

Just imagine, 3-4x the charge time to fill that sucker up, and not a single 3DS case would fit it.
It looks like a majestic whale.:allears:

I swear I will find a case that can fit that monstrosity. Maybe one of those obnoxious Nerf cases, or find out if Otterbox makes stuff for the 3DS. Just to make sure that it will never see the inside of a pocket ever again. :unsmigghh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MikeJF posted:

For some bizzare goddamn idiotic reason Nintendo seems to have decided that with a few exceptions the 3DS gets Nintendo Handheld VC games and the Wii/WiiU get TV Console VC Games.

Sometimes they seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot with regards to making money.

Think of it this way, now you have a reason to buy a WiiU. :shepface:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

If you do a System Transfer, does your old friend code transfer as well?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Amppelix posted:

In the ideal world, IP wouldn't exist and anyone could make a game featuring, say, characters and setting from the Legend of Zelda series. We'd have all the RPG spinoffs, all of the match-three spinoffs, and all of the MMOs.

You're basically legalizing fanfiction as something people can and should profit from.

Think about that for a second.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

enojy posted:

I feel obligated to let you know that the game controls like absolute poo poo on the 3DS unless you're willing to buy a proprietary analog stick addon ($20, also works with Snake Eater, and perhaps other games.) This is not my opinion; it is fact. Hell, the addon stick may not even help matters much. I did play the Wii U demo at a friend's house for an hour or so, and it played just fine.

You should absolutely try the demo on eShop before buying. My interest level went from must-buy to never-playing-again in the course of 15 minutes.

No, this is an opinion. I've put over 300+ hours into the 3ds version of MH3U and not once did I feel like I needed a second analogue stick. And if you look in the Monster Hunter thread you'll find many who'll agree with me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Raften posted:

The only problem with that reasoning is that everyone in the Monster Hunter thread are crazy mutants who have probably played multiple versions of the PSP games and are used to turning their hands into crab claws. For people new to the series the lack of a second analogue stick is a real problem. I remember playing Tri for the first time and having a hard time transitioning to actually having camera control after playing MHFU for so long.

Uhh...no? Many of those people have only played 3U (myself included). Though at this point we're just fighting anecdotes with anecdotes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Al Borland posted:

So would any companies let me do that? I really dont want to give up my ambassador status but really do want a bigger screen.

If you have Ambassador status, and you do a System Transfer, you'll keep Ambassador status on your new system.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

greatn posted:

Quentin Tarantino and Joss Whedon loving hate this game.

Good. gently caress both of them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

sentrygun posted:

Badly. Everyone will tell you to use a Circle Pad Pro. If you don't have people to play with locally though you should just get it on Wii U because solo Monster Hunter sounds like the worst thing on the planet and is the reason I've played about 20 minutes of my 3DS copy before shelving it forever.

This is completely false, the circle pad pro is completely optional, and its perfectly possible to beat everything in the game solo. I've put 300+ hours into it 90% of those are soloing, without a circle pad, and 3U is my first MH game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is Super Street Fighter IV any good on the DS? I saw it at the local game store the other day for ~$20 and wouldn't mind having a fighting game.

It's a functional port but good luck trying to do anything more complex than a Shoryuken on a 3DS. They included customizable touchscreen hotkeys for special moves for this exact reason.

Also, it's just Super Street Fighter IV, so no access to AE characters (Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, and Oni).

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 9, 2013

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I think some of the Pokemon have really high polygon counts as well, so that might have something to do with it.

No kidding, even without 3D there are some pretty massive framerate drops depending on what mon is on screen. I'm not sure this is because of poor optimization or that X/Y is really that system intensive.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

For real, what world do you live in where somebody would call you a loser for playing video games? It'd be one thing if you were loudly ranting about the optimum moveset for a Dewgong, but if someone sees a 3DS in your bag they either won't know what it is or go 'oh, a 3DS' and move on with their lives.

Goons have the skewed perception that normal people are way more judgmental than they actually are.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I've wanted to upgrade to an XL for a while, and I've banged up my launch 3DS pretty badly (cover of the thumbpad is completely torn off, R button is kinda unresponsive). Might as well wait a bit and get a New XL.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

redreader posted:

This may be a dumb question but I thought I'd be able to get ds games for cheap by now. Amazon has 999 for 20 bux. Are DS games just, never very discounted?

Most DS games are long out of production and Nintendo games usually have very low resale rates and tend to hold their value. So you end up paying a lot for old, popular, DS games.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I thought ORAS was coming out on the 21st? Why'd they delay it a week?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The speakers are a lot louder, the heavens be praised.

Aaaand there goes one advantage the Reg 3DS had over the XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Speaking of that, are they selling extended batteries for the New 3DS?

• Locked thread