Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

jscolon2.0 posted:

I know you all want to think that Marvel will actually throw a ton of marketing force behind Guardians, but I can't believe they'd use up one of RDJ's contractual appearances on it, toy or no toy.

Doesn't he get a cut of the profits for any movie he appears in as Tony Stark? I bet he'd have no issues with it.

Plus of course Marvel's gonna throw a poo poo load of marketing force and pull out all the stops--including RDJ's face--when it comes to Guardians. No one knows who the hell they are and surprisingly Marvel is anchoring their next "phase", or whatever bullshit they're calling it, with this movie so they pretty much will be doing whatever they can to try to sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Burt Macklin, FBI has a new top secret mission.

(I am going to be in line for this movie on day loving one)

Chris Pratt is the best and this is awesome news. If the longshot rumor of H Jon Benjamin doing that raccoon's voice is true too then I'll be there day one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

Has any other actor done that rapid a switch as there was from Equilibrium to The Machinist to Batman Begins?

It's worse than that, it went from The Machinist to Batman Begins to Rescue Dawn to The Dark Knight to The Fighter to The Dark Knight Rises.

Guy's gonna die of a heart attack and it'll be dumb.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's definitely a co-lead situation, Carlysle is the Pacino to Guy Pearce's Keanu.

This is how I'm going to describe every couple or duo from now on.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ZackHoagie posted:

"There was a firefight" is a pretty great line-read, everything else sucks poo poo.

This should literally be every review for that movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I haven't seen Fishburne in a movie in a long time. I bet he's really fat now.

He was pretty bloated in Contagion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I don't wanna live in a world where Cam Gigandet is anyone's preferred choice for anything over Michael B. Jordan.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

jivjov posted:

I don't think you know what "objectively" means.

I don't think you know what "sarcasm" is.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hewlett posted:

Every role where Sam Rockwell doesn't dance is a missed opportunity.

No joke: if I catch Charlie's Angels is playing on TV, I have to check to see how close it is to the dancing. If it's within a half hour or so...I'm watching Charlie's Angels.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I can't be the only person who sees a villain for Justified Season 5.

I'm so, so mad at you now that this isn't a thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I don't think it was a rumor or even that embarrassing for him. I remember him openly talking about the piece he had to wear as Capt. America because of his receding hairline.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Your avatar has one of the best examples of getting more famous putting more hair on a head I can think of (but McHale pulls it off very well).

Seriously, look at pictures of the guy when he first started hosting The Soup, it's an amazing transformation.

So true. Saw McHale in a link to a 90s sketch show someone in the General Chat thread posted, he basically had a skullet.

Also, comic book chat-wise, compare McHale in Spider-man 2 to McHale in Community. The difference is crazy. I agree that he pulls it off well though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Cocks Cable posted:

The real problem with the X-Men movies has been Wolverine.

It's kind of a catch-22 then, because if Wolverine is their biggest problem I'd say Hugh Jackman is still arguably their biggest asset.

I say arguably because of Stewart and McKellen's chemistry.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Calling it now and forever: Ant-Man will by far be the best Marvel Studios movie.

Yeah, I can easily see either it or GOTG being the standout Marvel films.

IM3 had the Shane Black spark, but it was less than it could've been due to the weight of the previous two movies on its shoulders.

Ant Man and GOTG have the benefit of being relatively fresh properties with interesting directors attached.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Austrian mook posted:

I'm just wondering, what's the general goon consensus on the Scott Pilgrim movie?

Indifferent to negative, I think.

I really like it though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hewlett posted:

Leaked footage of Paul Rudd in the Ant-Man suit prototype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrswhnMZQo

Love it. Love you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be watching Celery Man for the tenth time this week.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The MSJ posted:

New Cap 2 pics:

This ain't bad. Keep the dumb helmet off and show us Chris Evans' mug.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

It's a really nice take on the Secret Avengers look, I agree. That hairpiece, though. Ouch.

Yeah, but Evans is pretty loud and proud about needing the piece, so I can't hate on it too much. That being said, I'm hoping it's the angle or something.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

GOTG and Ant-Man are easily the most interesting upcoming comic book properties. Chris Pratt deserves to blow up huge, so as long as the trailer keeps me as happy as the hype has I'm there opening day.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Vintersorg posted:

Basically Marvel Studios (and Sony) are doing things right - while these X-men films are utter garbage.

X2 is better than any Marvel Studios or Sony superhero films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pretty much stone cold truth, although the first Iron Man and Spider Man 2 come close.

I was gonna mention those two as the only ones that come close.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Whenever I do this I keep adding really good moments - the White House fight, Magneto escaping from prison, Magneto being catty with Mystique - and I realize I've listed half the drat movie.

Truth.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DFu4ever posted:

I just re-watched it recently, as it used to be my favorite superhero film. I don't think it's even top five these days, although it still has a couple really good moments (Iceman and his family, the fight in the mansion).

I don't know if it's in my top 5 comic book/superhero movies, but my original post still stands. It's still better than any Marvel Studios/Sony output.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Magneto talking with Pyro

Love this scene. Pyro's heel-turn subplot is so small but hits its beats really well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

More proof that the key to making Captain American's costume not goofy-as-gently caress is Chris Evans' face:

Good...

Excellent...

Keep it going...

No! What the gently caress?!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dacap posted:

He was the Prince's butler

"Because he's my butler."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are we really going back and saying that Ioan Gruffudd was anything other than serviceable in those movies? Because he's the textbook definition of "boring". Miles Teller can and will act circles around him.

Right? I was shocked when someone said they got the cast 3/4 right last time. Ioan Gruffud is out of his depth as anything but stuffy Brit. Miles Teller hate is weird and I can only assume it's based on photos of him and not his actual work.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

The character performances in the Nolan movies alone are worth price of admission in my eyes. I don't think TDK is as good as I did when it came out (but I really don't think anyone does), but it's still head and shoulders above all of the non-Iron Man Marvel flicks, and as messy as TDKR is, I'd say the same about it as well.

I pretty much agree with this completely. I'd also add that Nolan's Batman movies look really good. The Imax shots in TDK are gorgeous.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

spikenigma posted:

lol

:)

Dude, you're arguing in circles and contradicting yourself on the most basic level.

Just to let you know, you're being really annoying and really wrong in this post.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

For reference, because I don't want y'all to waste time looking it up, here are the descriptions of the post-credit scenes in Captain America 2:

Miracles? Seriously?

My favourite part of that quote is that they consider knowing the post-credit scenes as "ruining" Captain America 2.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The MSJ posted:

The 4 actors being considered for Doctor Doom are:

Domnhall Gleeson
Toby Kebbel
Eddie Redmayne
Sam Riley

I really like Toby Kebbel. Gleeson and Riley are all right. I've only ever seen Redmayne in Les Mis, so I don't really know about him.

A Fantastic Four movie with Michael B Jordan, Miles Teller and Toby Kebbel in it is a good way to get me to even consider seeing a Fantastic Four movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

X2, easily. It's one of the best superhero movies in general.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It makes sense, especially for Lawrence when you take the makeup into consideration. I am honestly surprised for a second any time I remember Fassbender is in this new X-Men movie. They really lucked out by locking him in with First Class when he was right on the bubble of blowing up. Same with Lawrence.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Toby Kebbel was the best of the actors rumored, so that's cool. He did great work in Wrath of Titans, Rocknrolla and his Black Mirror episode.

Kebbel, Miles Teller, and Michael B Jordan are what's keeping me interested. It's a hell of a cast.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, the Burton Batman movies are hokey as gently caress. Returns is the best Batman movie and it may as well have been a cartoon.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, Returns isn't great because it's "dark and grim", it's completely silly and over the top in the best way and embraces it fully. I don't understand finding it embarrassing, I actually find it super endearing. Like, the movie basically opens with circus clowns attacking town square.

It's got great performances from Walken, Devito and especially Pfeifer, and Michael Keaton the last time I rewatched it I found Keaton to be really touching in the emotional moments and really really funny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe they're trying to accomplish something in the scene that requires them to be wherever it is they are. It's silly to expect an out-of-context one-minute clip, selected to show off the action, to fully communicate everything that is happening and why.

Exactly. I mean, make fun of the effects and the action all you want, but it's disingenuous to criticize the motivations of the characters from that tiny scene.

I did like Bishop getting help to pump up his super soaker.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Anyone mention that Reg E. Cathey was cast as Dr. Franklin Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four movie?

I think it's awesome. I'm always psyched when Cathey pops up in something(House of Cards, Seven, Oz, The Wire, Pootie Tang, etc) and it'll be extra-dope to see him get all father-and-son with Michael B. Jordan.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Except for the fact the other one worked and this, most likely, does not.

Which matters because...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ape Agitator posted:

I feel like I'm in bizarro land. X2 is not a good/great superhero movie but Batman & Robin is? I know the waters of the internet are treacherous with their shifting tides but this is some rogue wave bullshit.

Don't worry, they're just different thoughts. You're still firmly entrenched in the popular opinion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Batman Forever is tough to sit through nowadays, but it's miles ahead of Batman Returns. Batman Returns is just torturous to watch.

Batman Returns is fantastic. It's the Burton-est Batman, has the best set design of any Batman movie, Michelle Pfeiffer absolutely kills it and Michael Keaton actually puts in a really funny, underrated performance.

It's the best Batman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Firstborn posted:

It looks so good! Did Chris Pratt really get that ripped, or is it like Nic Cage's abs in Ghost Rider?

He definitely got that ripped:

He did it before for Zero Dark Thirty too.

EDIT: Beaten

• Locked thread