Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

Good ol San Marino.

San Marino's government is fuckin bonkers. A diarchy like the ancient Roman Republic with six month terms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Captains_Regent_of_San_Marino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jaramin posted:

And I enjoy this one because "actual kingdom" puts this image in my mind that the guy who made it was going through his date and filling it out and he got the remaining monarchies and went: "huh, wait, what? Seriously? there are actually still monarchies?" I know it's not true, but a man can dream.

And it's bullshit too. Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and the Vatican City are not kingdoms.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PittTheElder posted:

And it's bullshit too. Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and the Vatican City are not kingdoms.

That's true only for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, the pope is actually the King of Vatican City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHRIjI3hXs

http://www.uselessdaily.com/world/ever-heard-about-the-king-of-vatican/

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

If you choose to be very pedantic about the definition of "monarchy" I suppose. Principalities and Duchies are both categorized under traditional monarchical hierarchies though. It doesn't matter much anymore though, as the term "kingdom" has become popularly synonymous with "monarchy" in the last century. And for the Vatican, I suppose if you'd prefer you can call it a benevolent dictatorship.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 5, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Accidental double post

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Andorra isn't a monarchy because it has two heads of state.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PittTheElder posted:

You forgot Monaco and Andorra.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Carbon dioxide posted:

Andorra isn't a monarchy because it has two heads of state.

One of whom is the head of a republic with a history of killing and/or exiling monarchs

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can't believe there are so many people who think that coming out of the right vagina first is a good method of determining even a symbolic head of state. It's 2015.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I can't believe there are so many people who think that coming out of the right vagina first is a good method of determining even a symbolic head of state. It's 2015.

They are surprisingly good ambassadors. Denmark could send their most famous politician, athlete, scientist, author and musician to another country and it wouldn't garner the same attention as our queen or just the prince. I mean I don't particularly care about the monarchy but like it or not they can create headlines like no one else from this windswept little sandbox.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aint' nobody give a poo poo about Handball, you dirty Dane.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I'd rather have a king with symbolic power than a politician that is beholden to certain economic powers and voters as head of state.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yabba Dabba Doo, gurgle, burp, slurp, fart.

Ladies and gentlemens the Danish language.

Hahaha just kidding that's my Zizek impression.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Unironically this, except less articulate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

wukkar posted:

The countries that didn't quite have the balls to guillotine their monarch 100 years ago let them still pretend to be important and wear lovely hats, creating the separation of head of state vs head of government.
Also countries that have a president but not a presidential system. India, Pakistan, and a big chunk of Central Europe have presidents that don't have executive power over their parliaments, effectively making the president the head of state and the prime minister the head of government.

Jaramin posted:

Topical. Abolition of monarchy by year.
'Still' a monarchy seems an odd description of Spain being as they stopped being one for a while and then in 1975 decided that constitutional monarchy was preferable to literal fascism. I guess England did the same thing in 1660 too, but that's a bit longer ago and England isn't really a country anymore.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Anosmoman posted:

They are surprisingly good ambassadors. Denmark could send their most famous politician, athlete, scientist, author and musician to another country and it wouldn't garner the same attention as our queen or just the prince. I mean I don't particularly care about the monarchy but like it or not they can create headlines like no one else from this windswept little sandbox.

I couldn't even name Denmark's monarch to be honest (and I'm Finnish). I'm pretty certain that if you asked say, a random American they wouldn't even know Denmark is a monarchy.

Fox Cunning posted:

I'd rather have a king with symbolic power than a politician that is beholden to certain economic powers and voters as head of state.

There are elected head of states with symbolic power.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 5, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DarkCrawler posted:

I couldn't even name Denmark's monarch to be honest (and I'm Finnish). I'm pretty certain that if you asked say, a random American they wouldn't even know Denmark is a monarchy.

Yes, and do you know who was one?

:godwinning:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

:lol::laffo::lol:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

That's completely beside the point. If the average non-Danish person reads in the paper (lol) "Danish King/Queen Visiting", it's going to have more of an effect than "Danish Legend Jørn Dørnspørn Visiting".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'll stop at Danish and burn the paper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I'll stop at Danish and order some from the corner bakery.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Elections are enough of a farce as it is I don't want another one. Especially if there's no legislative power involved anyway, it would just be more politics for the sake of it. It's often convenient to have a apolitical figure in diplomatics as well, especially when the title King carries a lot of weight alone.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Here's what every single royal family and loving aristocrat needs:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I sympathies with constitutional monarchies, I can't imagine why anyone would want a president, it just fosters the cult of leadership.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand, it does muddy the separation of powers.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Don't you patronize me, JC.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Unless you REALLY found it funny, in which case thank you, you're a good guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quorum posted:

Yes, and do you know who was one?

:godwinning:

As a Chancellor Adolf wasn't a head of state. Hindenburg was.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Since we're on the topic:

Results of the 1946 referendum about whether Italy should stay as a monarchy or become as a republic. Terrible color scheme, but: more blue = more votes in favour of the republic, more red = more votes in favour of the monarchy, the percentages are percentages of votes in favour of the republic.

(Total votes: about 25 million, 89% of those who had voting right in the referendum. It's still debated whether fraud was involved in the vote or not.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Unless you REALLY found it funny, in which case thank you, you're a good guy.

I did.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jaramin posted:

And I enjoy this one because "actual kingdom" puts this image in my mind that the guy who made it was going through his date and filling it out and he got the remaining monarchies and went: "huh, wait, what? Seriously? there are actually still monarchies?" I know it's not true, but a man can dream.

The more likely explanation is that he's not a native English speaker and is using 'actual' in the sense of 'current' the way it is generally used in most Romance languages.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's completely beside the point. If the average non-Danish person reads in the paper (lol) "Danish King/Queen Visiting", it's going to have more of an effect than "Danish Legend Jørn Dørnspørn Visiting".

Is it? Does anyone but the creepy Swedish monarchy fans give a poo poo whether or not it is the Prime Minister of Sweden or the King of Sweden visiting in any concrete way? I get that they're celebrities, but we have plenty of celebrities.

Fox Cunning posted:

Elections are enough of a farce as it is I don't want another one. Especially if there's no legislative power involved anyway, it would just be more politics for the sake of it. It's often convenient to have a apolitical figure in diplomatics as well, especially when the title King carries a lot of weight alone.

Maybe elections where you come from, I'm still a believer in democracy :shrug:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jaramin posted:

Topical. Abolition of monarchy by year.

I do not like this colour scheme.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

Since we're on the topic:

Results of the 1946 referendum about whether Italy should stay as a monarchy or become as a republic. Terrible color scheme, but: more blue = more votes in favour of the republic, more red = more votes in favour of the monarchy, the percentages are percentages of votes in favour of the republic.

(Total votes: about 25 million, 89% of those who had voting right in the referendum. It's still debated whether fraud was involved in the vote or not.)

I love this kind of breakdown. Here is a map of the 1950 referendum on the Royal Question in Belgium, namely whether Leopold III should be allowed to return as King after his passive, submissive attitude towards the Germans during WWII.

Very clear split along both linguistic and rural-urban lines. The Walloon industrial axis running from Mons to Verviers was generally opposed to his return, and when it happened the unions there called a general strike which quickly evolved into sabotage and clashes with the police. Leopold III eventually abdicated in favor of his son on August 1st, 1950.

The referendum does a goob job illustrating why the Belgian monarchy is not popular compared to its counterparts, even ignoring the obvious issues of competence and charisma. Wallonia has a strong tradition of republican syndicalism dating back at least a century, in which the monarchy is seen as representative of the conservative, repressive, centralistic Belgian state. In relatively right-wing Flanders there would be a large natural reservoir of monarchists if not for the linguistic issue. The Belgian monarchy is unambiguously a French-speaking institution and they have only recently made token efforts to appropriate the Dutch language (e.g. by sending Princess Elisabeth to a Dutch-language school in Brussels). The result is that the type of Fleming that would normally gravitate towards monarchism often feels indifferent or even hostile to the royal family, at worst seeing it as the ultimate symbol of a century and a half of domination and humiliation at the hands of the French-speaking bourgeoisie.

Taken together, this means that the Belgian monarchy mostly lacks the sociological pillars of support that are present in other stable monarchies. On the other hand, for the majority of the population the attitude towards them is more one of indifference than of hostility. In the end, since Belgians are averse to sudden changes, the monarchy is not likely to be abolished any time soon.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Fox Cunning posted:

constitutional monarchs aren't apolitical, frequently have vestigial powers to interfere in political matters, and reign for long enough that their personal politics are usually old enough to be pretty dire.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

Is it? Does anyone but the creepy Swedish monarchy fans give a poo poo whether or not it is the Prime Minister of Sweden or the King of Sweden visiting in any concrete way?
The difference between royals as celebrity and other celebrities is that they're primarily representatives of a larger idea, rather than famous in their own right, plus of course more officially tied to the state they represent than other celebrities are. You wouldn't actually have needed to know that Denmark has a queen to appreciate the implications of an visit by the Queen of Denmark, because most people kinda get what a king/queen is. Actually, maybe not being particularly well-known as an individual might be an advantage, since it lets people just go with their own idea of what royalty is.

DarkCrawler posted:

I get that they're celebrities, but we have plenty of celebrities.
What are you counting as celebrities? Because I doubt there are many Nordic celebrities which are on the radar of people outside the Nordic Countries, let alone their home countries. I mean, some obviously exist, but how many are there really that the average joe of other countries would even give the tiniest fleeting poo poo about, while also associating them with their country of origin?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What are you counting as celebrities? Because I doubt there are many Nordic celebrities which are on the radar of people outside the Nordic Countries, let alone their home countries. I mean, some obviously exist, but how many are there really that the average joe of other countries would even give the tiniest fleeting poo poo about, while also associating them with their country of origin?

One.

Björk.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know that I would rather be visited by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau than the Queen of Denmark.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

I know that I would rather be visited by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau than the Queen of Denmark.

I wanted to make a joke about wishing to be visited by the Danish PM rather than by the Queen, but apparently Helle Thorning-Schmidt was replaced earlier this year. Good thing I googled it because the current PM isn't quite my type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No one outside of Scandinavia knows who any of the Scandinavian monarchs are.

They should just divide the members of ABBA between them.