Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We're all familiar with the classic satellite nighttime city lights picture. But check out this little detail:

what the... that's in north dakota! There are like 2 people living there, yet the lights are equivalent to the twin cities :confused:
Any guesses what that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yup, flare gas.

Figured it would be easy-ish but I think it's fascinating/horrible that it's as bright as a drat city.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

my dad posted:

Meh. What's the difference between that and people in frozen-rear end parts of the Earth depending on winter heating?

Huge differences in energy efficiency between the two processes?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HookShot posted:

West Vancouver is in fact a completely different city.

Unless you're talking about the UBC-area known as West Vancouver.

:negative:

Similarly, there's an "East Pittsburgh" that is a totally separate town, about three towns from the eastern city limits in fact. Distinct from the East End, which refers to a swath of neighborhoods on the eastern edge of the city. At least we have a West End to balance it out :sweatdrop:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

As a map nerd, I would like an article that asks the people of Colorado who reside in the tiny area "ceded" by Texas if they feel they are better or worse being citizens of Colorado rather than Texas, and, if either, then why?

Along this line, what do people who live in the northwest angle feel like?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Woah, I never knew cities could have enclaves like that, with the exception of Vatican city

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Fun fact: there have been seven independent cities that have voted to abandon city status and be absorbed (as a town) by the surrounding county, another city, or something else. One of those is my home town. Most recent was Bedford, who in 2013 voted to become part of Bedford County.

Was one of them Birmingham, PA voting itself to be annexed by Pittsburgh, or do I misunderstand you?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's very important because it contained the idea of a computer as a machine that manipulates symbols, not just something that solves math problems. This was not common knowledge in 1953, a time when the operation of computers was mostly regarded as clerical work. Ada Lovelace is regarded as the first computer programmer because she (and not the machine's inventor) recognized the capability of the first computer to be used to process anything quantifiable, not just grind out a bunch of polynomials. Clarke was one of the first writers to identify and depict in fiction the sort of things that computers are actually useful for, and furthermore to depict this use as having world-changing consequences.

Nice post

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nor is nation a synonym of nation-state :argh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

New version of Alpha Centauri looking good

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mcustic posted:

And that's how you fall straight into a black hole.

i remember when AppleGalaxy first came out to compete with Google and it was like telling people to go thru a wormhole that didn't even exist, or like siri would telepath you "burn prograde for 62.4 seconds" when there was a star just a few million km in front of you smdh

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Istanbul and Athens :stare:

I'm not surprised considering Athens is one of the most polluted cities and then the Erdogan park thing

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

double nine posted:

it's a polarized country

Very nice

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

But even the binary flip part of it is dumb, because 50.1% veg is not different than 49.9% veg in any practical sense

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fun fact that y'all probably knew: the potato is a new world plant, and so was not part of Irish (or German or any European) cuisine until well into the 16th century at the earliest. Same goes for tomatoes and peppers (Italian food without tomatoes?? :monocle:), which are all nightshades along with potatoes. There are many more interesting things about the Columbian exchange but since they're not in map form I'll stop here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pakled posted:

Isn't most of the corn Americans consume in the form of corn syrup?

Corn everything! Corn syrup, corn derived "natural flavors," corn filler, corn based cereal, corn fed to animals, corn corn corn. Buy your very own Corn today!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HookShot posted:

AdiEU and Quitaly are the best. Also Espanope.

I really like Departugal too

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

These Mercator apologists have really gotten out of hand

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

No one cares where the wind is going.

It’s where the wind is coming from that matters, because that determines its temperature.

And its smell :whitewater:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HBar posted:

Dropping bombs onto a world he doesn't care about until it's completely unrecognizable.

I was going to start with"I'm the..." but no, there's nothing even close to recognizable there except maybe.... Australia?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Cartogram illustrating distance from nuclear reactors in Europe mapped onto population density.

Still better than the Peters protection...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When americans call Afghanistan part of the middle east I can never tell if they just have no idea where it is (probably), or are racistly lumping it in with the other muslim countries we bomb (probably), or if they just have a more expansive definition of "middle east" than I do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Huh well it looks like I'm the fool then, I think of the middle east as being centered around the levant / arabian peninsula, in part because it's not easy to assign that region to a continent. To me afghanistan is SW Asia.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A whole lot of places develop some kind of... I'll call it a "colloquial north," based on coastline or some other water feature. Montreal was the first place this was explicitly pointed out to me but I've noticed it a bunch of other places since.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vatican? San Marino?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol at the anglosphere

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also why the Caspian Sea and not the Aral Sea?

The aral doesn't really exist anymore

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's up with the US enclave in, i wanna say Saarland or just next to it? Military base?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

land owned by the government

why is iowa more expensive than all surrounding states? you can see the states outline

Yeah it's good farmland but the abrupt change across the state borders makes me wonder if there's a policy involved, like lower land taxes or higher farm subsidies than surrounding states, making the land more valuable.

Anyway I'm the graduated colors in most of the eastern cities vs the western cities that immediately clip out to the darkest color

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That certainly is politically loaded.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Amazing that none of them are in Europe.

That was my first of many reactions

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The nation-state is a Western invention of the modern era

All 200+ states in red

Yeah the map's concept is all hosed up and this is really the ultimate conclusion if you run with it.

I think what they were trying to get across is something like, "countries whose borders were at least partially drawn and imposed upon them by European imperial powers" but it fails at that... you could add "in the 20th century" and it's a bit closer but still rife with problems

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

The biggest being that the Berlin Conference happened in the 19th.

Haha damnit... I was trying to find a way to explain why the americas have no red.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the franchise system has always bewildered me. How can a team change cities, players, and owners, and still be considered the same team??

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

in their attempt to move from baltimore to indianapolis, the colts had to dodge state police because the governor ordered the team seized by the state

My god... It's like when the topes moved from Springfield to Albuquerque

e: bonus fact, Albuquerque does in fact have a minor league team called the Isotopes, named after that Simpsons episode. They have Simpsons themed cheers and stuff.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Blut posted:

This is a map of NFL support based on Facebook likes. Probably a bit more accurate for seeing where the fans actually live.

Wow, I'm from Pittsburgh and I didn't realize the Steelers fandom crept that close to Philly or Cleveland.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

anyway here’s another map that purports to be on the same topic but they added a bunch of weird elon musk “androids” to it for no obvious reason

One of them is carrying a Bitcoin pumpkin too :psyduck:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah Swiss German is crazy different, talk to anyone outside of a train station and it's incomprehensible until you reveal that you are not local, then they will speak "standard" German for you.

Bavarian/Austrian are weird sounding to me but not incomprehensible, it's more like a very thick accent with some funny dialect words but not the different beast that Swiss German is.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I mean the distinction between language and dialect is pretty arbitrary and ill-defined to begin with, especially in how its used generally (which varies by language among other things).

I think one attempt to arrive a a more useful distinction defines what people speak as "dialect" (wheter it be standard or not), and that a language then is a continuum of mutually intelligible dialects* within some form of (possibly standardized if it's a written, officially supported language) structure.

*Well at least to the dialects that are not too "far" from it in that continuum, which is where you run into the trouble of where one language ends and another begins, if you attempt to go by that sort of definition instead of just going with it being so because of state borders and policy that says "this is a language".

Some famous linguist once said "a language is a dialect with an army" or something like that. The point being that the distinction is often driven by nationalism.

An interesting opposite example of this is that IIRC the PRC insists that Mandarin and Cantonese are simply local dialects, rather than the completely different languages they are, because they have an interest in pushing Chinese unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's all about the letter's you don't pronounce