Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Brazil is innacurate now because on top of using both US and Europe style we added our own special snowflake to replace them:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
South Africa is planning a move to those too.

For the moment they use a combination of the BS 546 plug shown on the map for heavier loads and the BS 4573 (still used for shavers and toothbrushes in the UK, and in practice in the sockets used you can jam a Europlug in) for lighter loads like lamps and radios that don't need a ground, to the extent that it's really a 2-plug system.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Frionnel posted:

Brazil is innacurate now because on top of using both US and Europe style we added our own special snowflake to replace them:

Those look like European sockets to me. :confused:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

The grounding pin is off.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now that I think of it, one of the downsides of living in the UK is that our sockets don't look like a surprised robot.

Although maybe if they were upside down...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul.Power posted:

Now that I think of it, one of the downsides of living in the UK is that our sockets don't look like a surprised robot.

Although maybe if they were upside down...

In America, they're also sometimes winky robots:

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Frionnel posted:

Those look just like Swiss plugs and sockets.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapparomeo posted:

Those look just like Swiss plugs and sockets.

Swiss plugs have the center pin considerably more offset vertically.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Taken from the pictures thread:

Oklahoma is such a fuckup state they got the location of their own state wrong.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
As a map nerd, I would like an article that asks the people of Colorado who reside in the tiny area "ceded" by Texas if they feel they are better or worse being citizens of Colorado rather than Texas, and, if either, then why?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cheerfullydrab posted:

As a map nerd, I would like an article that asks the people of Colorado who reside in the tiny area "ceded" by Texas if they feel they are better or worse being citizens of Colorado rather than Texas, and, if either, then why?

I vaguely recall seeing a news story of someone who lived within that "overlap zone" of modern Colorado and the old Republic of Texas, who tried to claim that the land had never properly changed hands and therefore the State of Colorado had no right to prosecute him for whatever the hell crime he was accused of. It went over about as well as you'd expect with the judge.

I'm trying to the find the story again but my google-fu is failing me.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Samuel Clemens posted:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Along this line, what do people who live in the northwest angle feel like?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Benagain posted:

There is actually an east side of Chicago. It's a community area directly bordering Indiana. Here is a map of the community areas of Chicago, East Side is 52. Politically loaded because notice how they're numbered? 77 seems a bit out of place yeah? Edgewater seceded from Uptown (#3) because they didn't want to be associated with it anymore. (Uptown has the highest concentration of mental health centers in the city and is also home to a shitton of poor people, although it is slowly gentrifying.) Community areas were defined by the University of Chicago back in the 1920's and they don't change so as to allow comparisons over time. Neighborhoods are much more fluid and the borders are not set which results in a great deal of cherry picking as to where you actually say you live in the city.

edit: 76 is O'Hare airport which the city annexed from neighboring towns back in the 50s by bribing them with water from Lake Michigan.

edit2: I only did this because I'm a tour guide in Chicago and sperging about poo poo like this is how I make money.

After living in Chicago on the North side for years, these maps still confuse the poo poo out of me because there's so much inconsistency. For instance, one of the places I lived was on Ashland just north of Lawrence. On that map you posted, it looks like that's either towards the West end of Uptown or right on the border of Uptown and Lincoln Square. I always thought of it as Ravenswood, which isn't even on your map. And, if you go to the https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7.6297982Google Map of Chicago, as you zoom in and out the neighborhoods change, appear, and disappear depending on how far zoomed in you are. It's bananas. It goes from Ravenswood, to Uptown, to Sheridan Park, to Ravenswood again, to Winnemac (which I have never actually heard of before). The Google Earth version adds in Andersonville and Lincoln Square to confuse me even further.

Honestly I used to just tell people I lived in Uptown to avoid the endless back-and-forth, because everybody has either a) heard of Uptown and knows that it's "a place" or b) would reasonably believe it was "a place" in Chicago if they've never been to the city (or lived in Schaumburg or some poo poo).

When I eventually moved to Lincoln Park it was kind of a relief, because Wrightwood & Halsted didn't require much explanation about "which part" of Chicago I lived in.

I really miss Chicago. Well, except for the weather. What a great city.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 19, 2016

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

alnilam posted:

Along this line, what do people who live in the northwest angle feel like?

To me, the upper Midwest is all half Canadian anyway, so they're probably just even moreso.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

After living in Chicago on the North side for years, these maps still confuse the poo poo out of me because there's so much inconsistency. For instance, one of the places I lived was on Ashland just north of Lawrence. On that map you posted, it looks like that's either towards the West end of Uptown or right on the border of Uptown and Lincoln Square. I always thought of it as Ravenswood, which isn't even on your map. And, if you go to the https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7.6297982Google Map of Chicago, as you zoom in and out the neighborhoods change, appear, and disappear depending on how far zoomed in you are. It's bananas. It goes from Ravenswood, to Uptown, to Sheridan Park, to Ravenswood again, to Winnemac (which I have never actually heard of before). The Google Earth version adds in Andersonville and Lincoln Square to confuse me even further.

The community areas are actual defined places with boundaries that don't change, anything that's not a community area is a neighborhood. Wrigleyvile, Ravenswood, Sheridan Park, all those are neighborhoods and they only exist depending on the buy in and knowledge of the people who live there which can be little to none. Google mixes both.

Here's a pretty good article that has maps where people draw the boundaries as they think they should be: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150928/loop/this-is-where-chicagoans-say-borders-of-their-neighborhoods-are

Also Chicago is awesome, I agree.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Woah, I never knew cities could have enclaves like that, with the exception of Vatican city

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alnilam posted:

Woah, I never knew cities could have enclaves like that, with the exception of Vatican city

Pretty borders aren't the law, they're just a good idea :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How unincorporated are the "unincorporated areas"? Does California not have townships?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofaloaf posted:

How unincorporated are the "unincorporated areas"? Does California not have townships?

What does township mean to you? Their meaning varies quite a bit between different states.

The LA County government is fairly powerful though.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Townships are basically a northeast/Midwest thing

Also worth nothing that townships usually aren't considered incorporated anyway (except in like, New Jersey. There's a whole book about Jersey's ridiculous municipalities)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i didn't know that pasadena was in "verdugo" instead of the san gabriel valley

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Look at that map and realize why Californians roll their eyes when people from Santa Monica or Beverly Hills correct you when you say they're from LA.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

majormonotone posted:

Townships are basically a northeast/Midwest thing

Also worth nothing that townships usually aren't considered incorporated anyway (except in like, New Jersey. There's a whole book about Jersey's ridiculous municipalities)

Well these days the NJ town structures are almost all the same type, even though there's a few small municipalities using the other sorts. Really a place like California or Texas or Illinois has more different sorts of towns because of the range of what the charters or other founding documents are allowed - NJ required it to be one of a short list in the 19th century.

NJ townships are just the same as any other town except they have "township" in the name.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

What does township mean to you? Their meaning varies quite a bit between different states.
Here in Michigan, we have the entire state divided into counties, and then all land within the counties is incorporated into either a city or a township. Villages exist, but their status doesn't grant them autonomy from the townships they reside in. Townships themselves are organized municipalities, with their own elected officials. They're only rarely confused with towns as like a central urban center, because townships are usually either incredibly rural or suburban hellscape.

I know some eastern states like Virginia have cities independent of counties, and I figured California probably differs a bit from either here or Virginia, but... what, do properties in unincorporated land California just answer directly to the county government, with no municipal go-between?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the Netherlands, in The Hague I believe, there's an exclave of The Hague to the east that kinda is directly connected, some canal between the two parts also belongs to the city of The Hague.

North and South of that canal are two different, separate municipalities. There's a bridge across the canal connecting the two municipalities.

I tried looking it up once, but I couldn't find anywhere which of the three municipalities/cities is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I know some eastern states like Virginia have cities independent of counties, and I figured California probably differs a bit from either here or Virginia, but... what, do properties in unincorporated land California just answer directly to the county government, with no municipal go-between?

The states west of the Rockies are vast and sparsely populated. Even California, with the largest population by a long shot, is still pretty sparse beyond 50 miles of the coast. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to divide the mountains or desert up into 'townships' when almost no one lives there. Alpine County, the least populous county in the state with a density of 1.6 / sq. mi. has *zero* incorporated towns. So yeah, unincorporated areas are governed directly by the county.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofaloaf posted:

Here in Michigan, we have the entire state divided into counties, and then all land within the counties is incorporated into either a city or a township. Villages exist, but their status doesn't grant them autonomy from the townships they reside in. Townships themselves are organized municipalities, with their own elected officials. They're only rarely confused with towns as like a central urban center, because townships are usually either incredibly rural or suburban hellscape.

Yeah over there, the county government directly administers the unincorporated areas with no half-way government like a Midwest township tends to have (when they're not purely markers for location as they often are in the southern portions of the midwest). And they're definitely not Northeast style townships which are just another town, but since they were originally in place in like 1684 they still retain the name "township".

Virginia's system is also kind of confusing - although cities are independent of counties, and in effect operate as consolidated city-counties, there's tons of Virginia "towns" which are quite large, have 95% of the same abilities, but remain under the county's governance. This has some interesting consequences, because for instance the "city" of Norton, population 3958, has county independence and all that. Blacksburg on the other hand, with 43,000 people, is the largest town to not become an independent city - and it's larger than 25 of the state's 38 independent cities! There are also weird instances like Arlington County, which to all intents and purposes operates exactly like a single high-density incorporated city, even though the only government is county government (population's about 230,000 within 26 square miles, there's a longstanding development plan, etc).

Anyway as you can see, it makes it very annoying to map Virginia with all those tiny independent cities sprinkled in:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Look at that map and realize why Californians roll their eyes when people from Santa Monica or Beverly Hills correct you when you say they're from LA.

I just realized the entirety of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is set in Los Angeles, I always thought Santa Monica was a completely different city

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Population of black dots = population of blue

http://brilliantmaps.com/european-population-density/#more-2306

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Yeah over there, the county government directly administers the unincorporated areas with no half-way government like a Midwest township tends to have (when they're not purely markers for location as they often are in the southern portions of the midwest). And they're definitely not Northeast style townships which are just another town, but since they were originally in place in like 1684 they still retain the name "township".

Virginia's system is also kind of confusing - although cities are independent of counties, and in effect operate as consolidated city-counties, there's tons of Virginia "towns" which are quite large, have 95% of the same abilities, but remain under the county's governance. This has some interesting consequences, because for instance the "city" of Norton, population 3958, has county independence and all that. Blacksburg on the other hand, with 43,000 people, is the largest town to not become an independent city - and it's larger than 25 of the state's 38 independent cities! There are also weird instances like Arlington County, which to all intents and purposes operates exactly like a single high-density incorporated city, even though the only government is county government (population's about 230,000 within 26 square miles, there's a longstanding development plan, etc).

Anyway as you can see, it makes it very annoying to map Virginia with all those tiny independent cities sprinkled in:

You can also see that the Virginia Beach and surrounding "independent cities" are as large as counties. Va Beach successfully petitioned to overtake the county it resided in.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Russia should clearly be "suicide".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Amsterdam canals doing God's work

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lukla Airport is a bitch.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

How are so many people drowning in Mali? :psyduck:

fake edit: Oh, I guess there's some major rivers running through it, but even so it seems odd that that's one of the only blue countries.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lord Hydronium posted:

fake edit: Oh, I guess there's some major rivers running through it, but even so it seems odd that that's one of the only blue countries.

Last time this got posted I looked that up and it was like 2 people who were drowned in a flood or something.

edit:

Peanut President posted:

I was curious about this so I looked it up at the source:
code:
MALI
09-04-2014	Bamako					Drowning
01-24-2010	Bamako					Other Accident
12-02-2008	Bandiagara				Other Accident
12-21-2007	Djema					Veh. Accid-Auto
09-03-2006	Niger River				Drowning
09-03-2006	Polyclinique Pasteur			Drowning
Niger River is a dangerous place, who knew?

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 22, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Hydronium posted:

Flash floods in the desert areas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vayWLTn4jl4

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

So is Arlington County technically all unincorporated land? Also, when people say they're from Arlington, VA, do they mean the county and not a city named Arlington?