Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Thanks for making the new thread. I just bought a box of 8x10 xray film. At 30 cents per sheet it was pretty much an impulse buy. I'll update after i shoot some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Primo Itch posted:

After messing around with an Holga and a homemade 6x15 pinhole camera, I'm thinking about getting into proper Medium Format. Money is a problem and I'd like to keep as cheap as possible. The thing is, I'll be in Moscow and Kiev for some days in two weeks and have been thinking about getting some soviet MF gear.

Do you guys have opinions on them, like the Kiev 60 or the Kiev 88? They seen to be considerably cheaper than other cameras and I'll probably be able to find some for nice prices while i'm there, but are they worth it?

Otherwise i've been thinking about maybe going the Yashica TLR route...

If it's cheaper than 100 or something then go for it, but you would honestly be better off saving for a pentax 6x7. You can find a complete kit for like 400 bucks

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

guidoanselmi posted:

Fuji also makes the GS680, which is an absurdly large and surprisingly electronic camera for (generally) studio use.

I almost bought it - but then decided it was too large to be practical.

I then bought an RZ67 (and resold it back to KEH a year later).

It's more for landscape and architecture since it has the movements

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Developed my 8 sheets of 8x10 xray film. It's really awesome, I can't see myself spending money on normal black and white film for 8x10 after this. A bit contrasty, but nothing too crazy. I'll post scans from some of the negatives tomorrow when I get around to firing up the v750. I loving hate Epson scan

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

Then why not use Vuescan?

Very curious to see your results. Is the film limited to a smaller range of wavelengths than normal b/w film? I vaguely recall some discussion of xray film on LFF as being restricted to green and blue sensitivity according to which film they used.

Can't install software on school computers. It's blue-green sensitive, I used a red backdrop for a still life and it came out black.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anything's better than FlexColor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2998HT1ZhU

seriously, has anyone ever watched this video to completion? it's mind numbing

I haven't watched this video but I like flex color a lot more than any other scanning program that I've used

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
xpostin

The Ticket Writer, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
shot some 4x5 on an 8x10

lovely Creek, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

141, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nonanone posted:

I got a GW690II for $350. Best gamble ever, because it's awesome.

Really my favorite camera system

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Santa is strapped posted:

A GS690II is on my list of wanted cameras. From what I hear the optics are amazing.

One of the reasons it's the best. Let me list them all.

Huge negatives (2.25 x 3 inches), which is around a third of the surface area of a 4x5 negative.

Crazy sharp optics.

Really really light and portable, especially compared to something like the pentax 6x7.

It's really the bees knees. If it only had a built in meter... Carrying around a spot meter isn't so bad though.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

MrBlandAverage posted:

How did the negatives from that cheap as hell 612 back ever turn out?

Haven't shot with it yet, I might this weekend. I'll post results as soon as i can scan em

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Had a lovely time shooting last night, just me, the camera, and six members of the Greenburgh ny police department, who were all somehow necessary for filing a report about a guy taking pictures of the exterior of a store at night

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

QPZIL posted:

Is it weird that I like to explore peoples' houses that I don't even know and take pictures? Not like breaking and entering, just like... meet them for the first time and take my 500cm and go exploring. Is that wrong?

Spinning by iantuten, on Flickr

Unskewed by iantuten, on Flickr

i would like these more without dust spots

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Scanned stuff from the cheap as heck 6x12 back

The Library, Scarsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Garage, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Rear Wall, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Grand Opening, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

a foolish pianist posted:

The library and rear wall photos are gorgeous. What back do you have? I've been thinking of a 120 back for my 4x5.

It's the cheapest one I could find. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6x12-Roll-Film-Back-For-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-/280648716038 It came slightly broken, one of the rollers was stuck which made it impossible to advance the film after the third or fourth shot, and the plastic handle on the dark slide was coming off. These are a China Special, so lol @ the idea of a return policy, so I fixed the problems myself. You should definitely run a few test rolls through it to make sure everything is working mechanically before taking it out on a shoot.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Santa is strapped posted:

^^^ That's some nice light right there. How's Lou as a person? I like his photography but I couldn't stand his stance back in the day - he was all about ~*SOOC*~

I have a question about the noise levels in my scans. I scan using V500 and VueScan.

The latest roll I scanned seems ok, but the shots have what I think is too much noise, and I'm trying to figure out of the noise is due to the film/scanner/scanning technique.

Here is a 100% crop of a Portra 400 frame, scanned at 3200dpi:

I haven't seen this kind of noise on my shots before, it doesn't look like film grain to me. I'm wondering of VueScan is underexposing my frames when I select them for a scan.

I kind of wish I had a macro lens to 'scan' a frame that way and compare.

i think that's just the grain. here's 100% crop of some ektar 100, which is even finer grained and scanned on an x5, and you can still see some noise.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

QPZIL posted:

Ehhhhh...... I've never personally said those words.

But then again I irrationally hate Ektar.

Ektar isn't for everything but it's a wonderful film

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Nondo posted:

More wet plate / reenactor portraits yesterday. A retired Gunnery Sergeant as General Grant.

My teacher's portable darkbox after a new girl trashed it. The fixer is kept outside the darkbox/away from developer in tank like the silver nitrate.

Keep posting these they're cool as heck

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
i learned how to use a rangefinder with a 690. it's fine, and simple and lots of fun. love that camera.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
also here's another shot from the 6x12 back. i uploaded the full res on mediafire so go crazy if you want.

Clock, Scarsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?acwmjqy7ommp8q3

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Dilmaghani Rugs, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dukeku posted:

Hey genderfluid, did you do anything to add a light trap on your 6x12 back or do you just not remove the darkslide fully?

I've taken it out fully when I shoot and haven't had any problems. I'm shooting at night so it's possible i'm getting some light leaks that just aren't showing up because of that, but no problems thus far. I'm honestly surprised, but not complaining.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

atomicthumbs posted:

Sunset, As Seen From The Road Leading Up Pine Mountain by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I am never developing Acros in HC-110 again for two reasons: the midtones were so flat that it was hell getting them remotely acceptable, and it's not grainy enough.

I'd rather have flat midtones. It's a lot easier to add than it is to remove contrast.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

New 4x5s! These colors are a bit weird and they're a still a bit dusty but there you have it.

Antman by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

A local Georgia couple by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Yeong by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Texas Plates by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

your color balance is pretty off on all of these

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

yea this is a great deal, you could just resell it if you don't like it

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Krispy Kareem posted:

I went up to my in-laws in Vermont and forgot to bring my camera battery. Fortunately I had my Yashica!

The Furnace by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Calvin and Chloe by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Bullwinkle by the tree stump by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

I had a question about the last picture. I've noticed my backgrounds appear to swirl when blurred. Is there any particular reason for this? Is that just the 'bokeh' caused by the leaf shutter?

Also, to whoever recommended the betterscanning.com inserts, those are awesome. This was my first chance to use them and it made scanning the negatives so much easier.

That's just a property of the design of older lenses

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
thinking of selling my pentax 6x7. it's in very good condition and i have the metering prism, wooden grip, and 105 lens. what would be a fair price?

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I dig that aesthetic

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
started a project photographing along the sides of highways

Along the Bronx River Parkway, White Plains NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Dat Portra :allears: Were you the goon with access to a pretty nice scanner (Flextight? Imacon?) that was offering your services?

Yea

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Noted! PM me your rates if you don't mind, I've still got a fair bit of developing to get through but at some point this year I'd like to send off my really good stuff to get properly digitized.

your pms are full

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Cute title

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ShotgunWillie posted:

I don't have PM's, but I would like to know about the services you offer.

i have access to a ridiculously nice scanner through my college. the images that come out of it are nicer than any you will get short of a drum scanner. if you feel like giving me money i will scan your negatives (in any size up to 4x5) and give you the files.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ShotgunWillie posted:

How much money, and where?

I live in ny. $15 for each image up to 5, $10 each up to 20, $7 thereafter. if you want to do a really large batch tell me the details and i'll give you a flat price. here's a pro shop, look at their prices. http://www.photovillage.com/pages.php?pageid=5.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

squidflakes posted:

I really need to get better organized with my Crown Graphic. I must have forgotten to mark a film holder and turn the slide the proper way after taking a shot because I ruined what should have been my first really nice nature shot with some crazy double exposure non-sense.

Have a look, its like the ghosts of Steampunk Pass invaded my perfectly good pond picture.

That nature shot looks fairly boring so it's probably an improvement

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

aliencowboy posted:

Does anyone here have any (negative) experience using a Toyo field camera? The more I read about 4x5 outfits, the more this seems like an ideal set up for me.

It's kinda heavy and doesn't have very many movements, but it's simple, cheap, built really well, and it's very sturdy.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

swt

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nielsm posted:

Unless you shoot 6x12 or 9x12.

(The numberings for roll film types have nothing to do with measurements. They are essentially just old Kodak catalog numbers.)

9x12? i've never heard of any rollfilm that's 9cm high.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Paul MaudDib posted:

Learn good shooting technique (brace your body as much as possible), consider investing in a decent ballhead and an L-bracket, learn to freehand with mirror lockup if you're concerned about vibration (it's overblown).

Umm, don't put your finger through the shutter. It's huge and it's right there when you're loading. Loading is probably the trickiest part, make sure both the pressure back (green/orange 120/220 on back) and the counter (on the right hand side) are set, make sure the keys are aligned when you insert the spools.

Don't leave the meter on. It will drain your battery in 24h or so if you forget about it. And consider getting it sent in to have a split prism screen added, they really help focusing the wide angle lenses.

It's really about as easy a starting MF camera as you can get. It's just like an overgrown Spotmatic.

I'm not sure which meter you're referring to but the metering prism i have for my 6x7 shuts off automatically after like 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a pretty simple camera, ultimately. Try and make every single picture count, don't just take "test" rolls, and try and cover whatever you're shooting from every angle you can conceive of it looking good form.

There is the Denver Digital Imaging Center ( http://www.theslideprinter.com/ ) AKA The Slideprinter on Alameda east a block or two from the Cherokee intersection. They do E-6 with dip and dunk and can handle anything up to 8x10. Phone number 303 698 2962.

For other work there is Reed Photo (888 North Federal Blvd, check http://www.reedphoto.com/) and they do C-41 up to 120, E-6 and B&W up to 8x10. Call and check, 303-573-8084 / 800-999-8084.

Denver Pro Photo (http://www.denverprophoto.com/products.html), on Cherokee just north of Alameda. Their web site says they process up to 4x5 in C-41, b&w, and E-6. I don't think that is true any longer and that C-41 is only for 35mm and 120, but nothing larger.

So I lugged my massive Sinar F to Israel with all the equipment, accessories, film etc. required to shoot it, and I open my camera case to see this:

Anyone know where to buy a rear glass plate in Tel Aviv? :smith:

make a post on the lf photography users group it is quite possible that someone there lives in israel and will sell you one, to the best of my knowledge it's the largest large format forum

• Locked thread