Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
:aaaaa: Oh my god. This is my dream come true. I never actually thought that this would happen - it had been so long. AOW1 and Shadow Magic are up there as some of my favorite games, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I was a bit bummed the psychonauts 2 thing fell through but this is just as good!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Watching these videos is making me want to play this so bad, hunngh.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I love how there are neutral cities with non-player races that have their own unique units/buildings, and when you can capture them you can produce them and go up the (smaller) tech tree for that race.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus, the campaign is kicking my rear end. I was so complacent after the first mission (I'm doing elves first) where the AI pretty much sat in the corner with his thumb up his rear end, that the second one is suddenly kicking my rear end with one of the AI enemies sending in small groups of succubi to swarm my poorly defended back cities and seduce all the defenders, and when I run back to clean up, sending in a giant deathswarm to kill one of my heroes in the front (which makes me lose instantly due to objectives). In the mean time, I gave up entirely on the elven cities in the bottom left, the goblin is taking all my attention and they just got pillaged by orcs instantly, heh.

Also, surprisingly, Archdruid summon animal creatures can summon undead animals, that get full benefit from all your animal talents. Huh. I've got a 'carrion bird' that's mad at me for not being evil, now.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 1, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

Have you tried asking for open borders?
I think so. I'm on the same mission, currently amassing a few stack of dooms to assault them with.

---

It was pointed out to me that there is no Dire Penguin mount. When will this horrific oversight be remedied?

I eventually beat that map by taking advantage of the fact that the orc and the goblin do not declare war until you declare war on one of them and building a giant stack of doom with the heroes gaining the maximum number of abilities to counter shadow beasts or whatever the rogue tier 4 unit was called. This was the complete wrong way of doing it and took way too long. I suspect the way you should do it is to try and move forward and be agressive instead of hanging back and building - they start with a lot more territory and resources than you so you can't outturtle them, be on the aggressive, since heroes beat anything early game but low level heroes will get curbstomped if you let her reach tier 4.

One thing that helps a lot once she DOES start getting tier 4 is to get Favored Enemy : Monster as a druid research option, and level up the priest and the sorcerer as much as possible. Both of them are an amazing source of unresisted damage to the shadow beasts.

Another important thing is ten turns in your golden wyvern mount egg will hatch - if you don't wait so long that the enemy's domain starts covering every non-impassable mountain, you might be able to send in your archdruid leader to fly over to the top left corner, where there's a dragon city. If you talk to him with your archdruid on the golden wyvern mount, you'll get a free golden dragon which MURDERS poo poo DEAD SO HARD. ALSO you get a dragon city that can produce golden, fire, and ice wyverns, as well as golden, fire, and ice dragons with a couple of structures, as well as defensive structures to help you keep it that automatically bombard attacking enemies with fire and ice spells. I only discovered this after I had already curbstomped the goblin, but I see that the objective recommends you sneak past her to get the dragons, which could make getting her a lot easier.

If you go to the south of your starting location, there will be two underground tunnels. On the right is a cave filled with various monsters/treasure but you'll need a digger to get most of it. On the left is a bunch of resource buildings pre-captured by a fortress from the goblin - however chances are this will be undefended or almost undefended. The fortress blocks you from getting to a teleporter just on the south side of it that leads to two almost undeveloped elven cities. If you get to these fast, they could be useful. However, if you take too long, when you activate them you will get attacked by the orc within one or two turns - and if you've taken too long, the orc will be attacking them with tier 2-4 units (you get four free tier 1 units to defend them, which is not enough if you're distracted by the goblin), which means that it may be best to ignore them if you don't get them fast enough, until the goblin is entirely dead if you don't have enough of an army to defend the cities until they can defend themselves - normally the orc has no idea where you are and will not attack you, and does not attack the neutral elven cities until you take them.

Also, in the same cave that has the portals to the elven cities, if you go north instead of south, you'll run into a rather large, and completely isolated/largely undefended goblin lady's city - both tunnels lead straight into the heart of your territory so she has no way of reinforcing it or recapturing it, and if you leave it alone she'll constantly pump out succubi to sneak out of the tunnels to capture your back cities (I hadn't noticed the northern tunnel, so i was wondering how she snuck succubi past me). Just as importantly, and the map itself seems to be designed for this, as you get a digging tutorial when you capture that city, to the left of that city is a bunch of diggable terrain that if you keep digging will spiderweb throughout the map, with tons of treasure spots and items and gold and mana, and with exits that drop you all over the place, including in the (not yet hostile) human territory, as well as a shortcut to the orc territory. You may want to build six goblin beetles and send them out to explore while the rest of your troops take care of everything else - six goblin beetles can beat almost anything you run into underground no problem, and then they can use the courier feature to send the items to your heroes.

After killing the goblin and orc, the human was a complete and total pushover - I wonder if there's a way to sneak past the goblin and orc and take him out before they declare war? He has a lot of nice and juicy cities, so it might help. However, he's neighbors with the orc, so who knows if that's a good idea.

All in all, it's a surprisingly evil map, but there are a lot of secrets you can take advantage of, that I unfortunately only discovered too late to truly benefit from - but with some foreknowledge you might be able to do it a lot better than me.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So far Elf Campaign 3 is going a lot smoother - it's the worst possible opponent for you but they're so generous with free cities. You're a goblin theocrat, that does blight(goblin) and spirit(theocrat) damage. They're a dwarf dreadnaught, with lots of machines that are immune to blight and spirit, as well as dwarf firstborn that are 60% resistant to blight and 100% resistant to spirit. Fortunately, I made my rogue hero learn sabotage and pumped her up with tons of defense/resists/passwall/projectile resistance, so she runs in and murders the gently caress out of steam tanks after I bait out a mortar shot on useless chaf mobs. Swarms of beetles/worg riders still hurt like hell, and exalted and zephyr birds are still great units. The main trick to winning this, it seems, is to rush a dwarf city - ideally the big one in the middle of the map. Once you get your OWN dwarven firstborn suddenly he's the one that's hosed - dwarven firstborn are immune to half of a steam tanks and all of a flame tanks damage, are tanky, and hit like a truck. Excellent for rushing in and taking them down, and then when you run into the human theocrat on the other side of him your dwarven firstborn are suddenly screwing his poor shrines of smiting over by being immune to everything they do. Then, you pair them with your main theocrat leader that can get a 10 point skill that auto-resurgences every single unit in his stack, so his squad of five firstborn will self-resurrect even if they die? Then you steamroll. The only real hard part is getting that first dwarven city and securing it long enough to start pumping out goblins, it's mostly a matter of splitting up and taking all the neutral goblin cities as quickly as possible with as few losses as possible, and then bunching up the free units, trying to get one high enough to pump out some worg riders/maybe beetles, and swarming the middle - all your free units give you a huge advantage if you rush.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Even though I won, a dreadnaught's final stand can be horrifying - a swarm of six steam tanks + some flame tanks is.. unpleasant, especially when his walls are surrounded by burning oil. Pretty much every single unit that was not immune to fire (or a hero standing back) died.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Oh, awesome - the campaign is branching, like AoW1 - I just had a choice to stick with the High Elves or break off and do my own thing in mission 4, and one of my sorcerer hero disagreed with me left and I can apparently go attempt to recruit a dwarf dreadnought instead. Wonder how many missions this campaign is.
Unfortunately my sorcerer had godlike spells and several good items, so.. yeah. Oh well :v:.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
:argh: Isabella the human rogue in mission four is worse than the goblin rogue ever was in mission two! I captured a good like six or seven cities and now i'm playing merry-go-round with swarms of succubus and shadow stalkers as she slowly whittles away my units and money while continuing to pump out more in her main base! Also, as we move the merry-go-round around she's casting plague of brigands to make my cities go independent as I need all my defenders in a big blob to have a chance of retaking anything.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It's like turn 250 on map 4, an endless stalemate wherein we throw infinite mobs of shadow stalkers at each other, and I try to use my fire giants (my one unit advantage) but the AI won't let me by flying away and always trying to fight over water, where giants can't do diddly squat. On a whimsy, I hit mass panic, not expecting it to work - shockingly enough, it works on shadow stalkers. The VERY TURN after I use it, the AI somehow actually changed his fight behavior after 150+ turns and decided to start spamming mass panic too as if I taught him about the spell! All my heroes run away from combat as soon as it starts and he picks a couple units off as they run. I have way more panic-prone units than him! :psyduck: WHAT HAVE I DONE.

I feel obligated to show a screenshot of the average battle in my game :

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Unexpectedly cheap counter to shadow stalker spam : human priest/elven storm sister spam. I was using them, but apparently even just full sixstacks can hold their own against 3-4 shadowstalkers. One or two might die occasionally but they're a lot cheaper/easier to replace. Races with poison priests are just SOL though, hah.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Decided to take a break from elf and do some commonwealth - I've taken the lesson of 'never stop attacking' to heart and am having a much easier time than I did on the elven campaign :v:.

Also holy poo poo this is my first time playing Dreadnought : musketeers, engineers, cannons, spy drones, all awesome :swoon: I haven't even had a chance to use flame tanks or steam tanks yet.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

kojicolnair posted:

Having a hard time with the second mission in the elf campaign, I can deal with everything except the manticore riders and man do they use those a lot. Anyone have advice about which units I can make that could handle them?

I posted a big effortpost on this a ways back : did you get the free golden dragon/dragon city? They're slow to build but the huge AOE spirit damage is pretty much uncontestable by the orc. Spam a lot of summon gargantuan creature and summon horned god - Horned god gets you some nice lightning aoe to whittle down multiple manticores at once, as well as being one of the few things you can make that has a chance at beating a manticore in a one on one fight a lot of the gargantuan creatures can debuff and are hard hitting in their own right.

However, one of the big keys to you winning is making a giant horde of draconian fliers - they're way deadlier than you might think and in large numbers the orc will just melt. If you use some draconian elders to buff their damage (and shoot things afterwards) they can be even scarier.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I.. think spy drones are kind of OP against AI - throw one forward and he'll surround it with all his melee units to try and flank it, kindly setting them all up for suicide bombing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Agreed, it should prolly not incur counter attacks. :haw: Abusing it on my stream currently.

Also Gerblyn, is it a bug that neutral towns at war offer you a quest that only has the dialogue "gently caress you, get out."? Its slightly annoying, not that i want a quest from them, i just dont want the popup.

I think counter attacks are OK, because if enemies are smart they're the only way you'll force your drone to detonate, and enemies can pick them off with ranged/fire immune units not too difficultly. The thing they should just fix is make the AI somehow recognize drones as a 'avoid melee at all costs, and if you have to go into melee, don't surround it' unit.

They're still so cheap, though! I can imagine a wizard with like 120 casting points summoning four per round and just constantly bombarding an enemy city with suicide bombers before coming in with the kill. :haw:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, there's one AI thing that just ruined my second Commonwealth map - I had a friendly AI who i might have been able to ally, but he sent out scouts to explore and just waltzed through my domain - however, when HE is invading MY domain he starts to get increasing 'you're invading me' penalties every turn as if I'm the one invading him, and then he refuses to leave and continues to poke around and then declares war on me when he was the one who did it. :psyduck: Can someone please make AI respect borders a bit more? Or at least not get offended by his own actions?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Snow Job posted:

What if defeated campaign heroes pulled a Starfox wingman act and had to spend the rest of the mission recovering from their injuries? All you need is to make a text blurb per hero and to disable the "[Hero] must survive" mission requirement. So they could be killed off, then reappear during the next mission.

Hero resurgence would be awful and I'm really glad Triumph didn't go that route.

That would just as importantly allow actual resurgence spells to function on the heroes, as well as resurrection etc, and would make charm not be an instant game over. Is there a 'resurrect hero' spell that works on the world map? If there isn't, in my ideal world there would be one added, just in the campaign if necessary.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ojetor posted:

There is a Resurrect Hero spell that everyone gets access to. It might be disabled in the campaign. It's actually pretty powerful in custom/random maps since it allows you to risk your heroes, if they die you just revive them for 40 mana.

If this spell is in the game already, excellent! just make it available to all campaign characters, and disable loss on death. Problem solved!

Also, holy crap - dreadnought hero talent : Bomb Squad - All Units in your party gain explosive death. :hawaaaafap: It's such a two edged sword i'm almost afraid of taking it.. but.. the POSSIBILITES~

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

NiknudStunod posted:

After reading all the positive posts on this game I broke down and bought it. I was going to wait for it to go on sale eventually but couldn't. Right now the only gripe I have with this game is the spell blind. Why would I be unable to cast any spells if I was blind since I am able to do everything else. That just makes no sense to me. If my hero get silenced at the start of a close battle I am forced to turtle to a draw so I can fight again. If there was at least a duration on the spell so it lasts so many turns I would be fine with it.

Most blinds do have a duration but for some reason that one does not.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

I... really should play the campaign from the sound of things. :haw:

I've no problem with blind being the silence of this game, given that my track record with flash bang is about a 1/5. Having said that i've yet to run into something that silences or blinds reliably, but i dont discount the possibility of it. :ohdear:

I should prolly read the ingame documentation more.

Also after playing a few hours of a draconian dreadnought i find myself chucking at all the wonderful magitech. You dudes have let me live my dream of founding the Storm Legion. :allears: Now if only there was a bigger golem you could build later... one elementally powered if possible.

There's a rogue spell with a very high chance to blind, and it's permanent instead of 2 turns like flash bang, heh.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So. Dwarven succubi have big, bushy beards. :haw:

Also, I think they forgot to code in the AI noticing Steadfast Ward (unable to go below 1hp for 3 rounds). I've got a lone dwarf warrior with 1 hp sitting in the middle of six enemies who spend their entire round triple attacking him, leaving the rest of my army completely free to act.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 3, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Um.. I'm on commonwealth mission 4 and.. I appear to have misplaced? never found? my settler. I've got a big jerk declaring war on me and an endless tide of neutrals to wade through that have slowly picked off the freebie units I've snagged. The hostile NPC who declared war on me appears to be building up even as I speak, so I'm sort of worried here - Will the allied sorceress be able to hold her off while I explore? Is that what I'm supposed to do?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Yep, pretty much. I asked the guy made the map and he advised: Avoid harder independent fights, clear mana/gold mines and build forts to start using them, recruit units from Inns and then capture an enemy city.

This map is crazy hard - I take one of his cities around turn 33~, but lose most of my units in the proccess. It takes 7 turns to absorb due to alignment conflicts. Before it can finish, the guy sends in a 3 six stacks army with several archon titans and a ton draconian fliers with a couple trebuchets, and on the very first round of manual casts Static Electricity (static shield on every one of his units + 20% lightning vuln on all of mine). I just hit forfeit at that point, I probably need to start over again. :v: I ended up taking on pretty much every single independent pack on the left side of the map though, even the tough ones (that flame tank can take on almost anything with my dreadnought repairing it) so maybe I should aim to rush it instead of being slow nad careful.

Edit : yep - I was more afraid of his early cities than I should have been - if you give him 25+ turns he starts getting insane, but you can take out one of his cities with your starting army - just capture the forts on the way.

Gerblyn posted:

Less than 10. This is why Orcs can be so easy to kill if you have the right units. For a "strong" unit, you want resistance 12+ if you can get it.

Edit: As an example:

Fairy Fire does 3 fire, 3 electric, 3 ice

Target with 8 resistance takes: 5+5+5 = 15 damage per shot
Target with 10 resistance takes: 3+3+3 = 9 damage per shot
Target with 12 resiatance takes: 1+1+1 = 3 damage per shot

Edit2: For a laugh:

Target with 8 resistance who's been paralyzed (all attacks are flanking) and cursed (-2 resistance) = 9+9+9 = 27 damage per shot. Fairies own :3:

Is this the same formula for single shot weapons? (pistol/musket/blunderbuss/draconian spit?) - so 30 damage with 10 defense, 31 damage with 9 defense? Or do they get more of a bonus/penalty for each point?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 3, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So that's another reason why Musketeers are so drat good and need that one turn cooldown - with such a huge spike of damage they can pierce even the thickest defense. Man, dreadnought is such a fun class.

Nother question : When you use a fortress to capture a resource that gives production/happiness does it go to the nearest city? Or do those only work if you build a city on them?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I think I just discovered the most obnoxious possible tactic against the AI, heh. Build 5 draconian flamers or elders + 1 main hero with Fire Mastery. Attack enemy city. First round : Fire halo self. Second round : Cast Hellfire, doing 50 fire damage to all units. However, all your units are immune. Use your flamers/elders to pick off one or two units as they walk towards you. Flee from the map. Wait one turn for more mana. Repeat.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

UberJumper posted:

What is the difference between easy and normal difficulties for the campaign? I keep getting destroyed in the second elf mission and i am getting frusturated.

I feel i spend too long building up.

Funnily enough a lot of people go through this - the campaign will keep on hitting you over the head with this - never stop attacking, never stop pushing forward. The enemy starts with multiple cities, you start with none - until you take some of his he will always win the production/research fight. However, the easiest boost in effectiveness is related to the fact that your druid leader starts with a gold wyvern egg - when it hatches, fly to the top leftish corner of the map - there's a dragon city with a free golden dragon that will immediately join you the moment you reach it. Chances are, if you hurry, you can get that golden dragon way before he has anything that has a dream of easily killing it.

Also, be sure to rush the underground city that the goblin has practically underneath your base - if you ignore it she'll always attack from behind and snipe your poorly defended cities, and it has access to a bunch of diggable tunnels that can get you a lot of treasure.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

But I like to explore the map, the ruins, the secrets of the underworld, take the farms and windmills, find magical items and fight epic monsters, that's why I basically leave actually beating the AI and winning the scenario for the end!

So do I, the secret is that being aggressive early gives you time to be slower later on. Also, being able to build troops to attack neutral camps without your heroes can speed up exploring a lot.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Jesus christ the official forums are entitled. When you have a thread called "How triumph ruined aow and how (I demand) they can fix it" and two dozen other threads like it you know you've got a toxic community.

But in the spirit of productive posting, I managed to find a few quick cheats for the game.

Press Ctrl+Alt+C to open up the cheat bar and enter one of the following:

PHILIPS – Complete all production in all your cities
GLOOMYCITY - Target city recieves -1000 happiness
HAUER – Levels up hero(es) in a selected army
LEEUWENHOEK – Complete current research
ERASMUS – Unlock all research
NEXTTURN – Advances a turn
REMBRANDT – Gives Mana
GERARDS - Instant loss
RUYTER – Spawn hero
BOSCH – Gives Gold

:ducksiren: WARNING: The following cheats can cause crashes and instability :ducksiren:

HEIN – Win the current map. If you use this in the campaign, the next map might not work properly! USE WITH CAUTION!
CRUIJFF – Allow units to move in the strategic map without using move points
SPINOZA – Unlock all research from ALL classes and specializations
HUYGENS – Free spell casting mode (strategic map only)
BARENTZ – Give vision across the entire map

He has a couple of minor points I agree with but nothing I'd even remotely count as 'ruining' AoW3. I'd love more exciting racial bonuses just because it would make each race/class combo even more exciting - poo poo like all elves getting longbows? That stuff is great. I'd love if all races had more stuff like that. But I don't need it to enjoy the game by a longshot. The only thing I really agree with is mountains being too easily passable.

No-melee flying units would.. require a lot of rebalancing. Of everything. But would it really be better? Maybe a little bit if everything was balanced perfectly around it but I doubt it'd be worth the effort.

Who cares about left vs right city battles other than this guy? Having full 360 degree city battles mostly involves way too much walking to get to the right side of the wall.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Heh. I.. think I broke this campaign mission, and the diplomacy system, utterly.

The objectives were to 'conquer the islands' with a bonus objective for 'win with at least one ally' (giving the impression you can win with more than one). It's a frigging GIGANTIC map, which is a bunch of unconnected islands(a naval map, for once!), as well as an entire underground ocean ALSO filled with islands. And you, smack dab in the center with FOUR hostile empires on all four corners of the map. However, the empires are squaring off in a 2v2 - the left side is Commonwealth, the right side is Elven Court. If you ally with one, the other will declare war on you.

When you start you get a bonus objective to go destroy a dam that will flood the elven court draconian warlord's lands, and you can frame his ally, the rogue, for it, causing them to declare war and the draconian to make peace with you. I did this, and then offered peace to the Commonwealth archdruid, but not the commonwealth dreadnought. Shortly afterward, I cemented an alliance with the warlord, discovering that it caused the archdruid to declare war, pretty much permanently sending my disposition with her to like -1000. However, since I never made peace with the dreadnought, she was still at 0, as we had never fought, or trespassed, I sent a peace treaty to her, she accepted. I then ALLIED with her. She ALSO accepted.

I was now allied with two computers that were at war with each other (they used my shared LoS to spam hostile spells on each other every turn). Somehow, the draconian didn't notice until like 20+ turns later when I cast a spell that revealed all cities on the map to me and my allies - somehow this revealed my alliance to him. He sent me an angry message.. and didn't break our alliance or declare war. So, with him I finish off his rogue ally, and I get another angry message.. and the archdruid, with negative ten billion relation with me, instantly declares peace as if I picked her side. I'm now allied with two NPCs, and at peace with a third.

So, I send a swarm of a million shadow stalkers into her territory, break peace, and take all her cities at once, decapitating her in two turns. Her dreadnought ally sends me an angry message, and the dead draconian rogue declares peace with em but otherwise doesn't do anything. I'm now allied with two NPCs that are at war with each other and each own half the map, and they're both simultaneously convinced I'm on their side and aganist them. :psyduck:

And all of this in 77 turns. I was actually ready to kill her at like turn 60, but it took me like 17 turns to gather my entire maps worth of troops from the top right corner to the bottom left corner to rush her - the map is gigantic. The whole map so far also took like seven hours :psyduck:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 4, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Woot, on the final mission of this path - in the true Age of Wonders finale fashion it's a 1v7. :haw:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Anyways, a lot of people think research goes too fast in the game. We're not sure of the best way to deal with it, I think in the early game it's fine, with you unlocking 1 skill per 5 turns, but later on it's too easy to amass 200 knowledge or more per turn, so you can clear end game research in 3 turns. It makes the mid game too short and lopsided... People have been asking for an "Epic" slider, a la Civ, but I can't help but feel we need to change the economy in the base game as well to deal with it.

Extending the midgame would be great - it'd also double to help make it so the current problem of endless swarms of t4 units that happens when a match drags on too long will be delayed. As it is, once the swarms of dreadnoughts/shadow stalkers/manticores start pumping out, it becomes a bit homogenous as your only viable counter is either your own tier 4 unit or using your tier 3 unit instead if yours is incapable of beating his (stalker or smiting vs dreadnought, for example). Smaller tier units are actually balanced pretty well against tier 4 units when they're in moderation, as you've got lots of cool abilities that can screw over an overextended tier 4 unit, but it's just hopeless when you're fighting sixstacks of tier 4s. Maybe just increase build times and upkeep? Would help encourage mixed armies a bit more.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Good god, the final Torchlighter path for commonwealth mission. I'm 18 turns in and I just lost my capital city! I don't even know where to start here, hahah - I move in one direction to counter one of the SEVEN PEOPLE attacking me and one of the others comes from the other direction, aaahh. The 3 elven court dudes are at war against the four commonwealth dudes, but since they place you and all your capturable cities literally smack dab in the middle, you're in the way! I thought i saw someone else on this mission earlier, anyone got any suggestions? 'rush' doesn't seem like as safe of a tactic here when you're so utterly surrounded.

The campaign's so masochistic, but I love it anyway - it seems like each mission is designed to push you further and further out of your comfort zone and have you try and surmount increasingly lopsided starts.

redreader posted:

I just played this game all evening. I love it so far. It's closer to king's bounty than anything else, except you can settle cities. But, the choice of where to settle doesn't seem too varied. You settle where 2-3 resources are stacked together and that's pre-determined.

Unless you play a random map, of course. Plus, in many even campaign maps there's far more resources than you could possibly fill with cities, so you have to decide where you want to put cities and where you want fortresses, and where you'll just take the loot for exploring it and leave it be. In the earlier maps, or near the beginning of some scenarios you'll have some obvious spots that might as well be PLACE CITY HERE, but that's just to help you get started.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 4, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Frankly, I think the randomized skillbook needs a better algorithm. Because yes, it would be a problem, but so is not having scaling progression.

I'm not sure what you're going for here - there are, in fact, end game spells and upgrades - the problem is they're too easy to research as research production skyrockets while research costs don't increase enough to compensate. This is what he's claiming to fix, and this is what you want, isn't it? End game spells only show up after you've scooped up the vast majority of previous spells in that category.

The bigger problem is most of the endgame spells are global spells, which means.. disjunction. :v: The endgame combat spells are truly awesome though. Chaos Rift, Relentless Army, Hellfire, Holy War, Earthquake, Static Electricity, Call Beast Horde, all can pretty much turn a game around for you if you can use them. Though honestly beast horde seems like a way too puny version of Chaos Rift considering it doesn't get all the aoe lightning and spawns weak units.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 4, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I used the cheat to reveal the map of the final mission just to study it before resetting. I'm just staring at it, horrified. The fog at least gave me the delusion that I stood a chance. :negative:

Rabhadh posted:

Are the summon animal/eldrich animal/gigantic animal spells totally random in what you get or are they influenced by what type of ground you cast them on?

edit: Just like to say how fantastic my Orc Arch Druid random map is going. Started off in adventure mode, very large map, with 7 other players. 2 AI's spawned not far away and we set to knife fightin' on our little corner of the continent. The first city I found was Elven, and shortly after an Orc city, so my early armies were all mixed hunters of both races. Turns out Orc Hunters are quite handy at melee (8 ranged, 9 melee compared to my Elf Hunters which were 10 ranged, 8 melee I think). Adventure is a great game mode.

I have yet to actually really do a random map yet - what's the difference between adventure mode and the normal mode?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I.. what.. huh? I just charmed an enemy LEADER hero when he attacked my town? Did he just lose his hero forever? Can he no longer cast spells? If he dies will he go back to him? I didn't expect this to work! This is on the final campaign map, too!

Edit : Strange.. I stole the leader from Leonus, the Human Dreadnought, but this is clearly an orc dreadnought not named Leonus. But.. it's marked as 'leader'. Strange. Did he have two?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

That's a nice idea actually. In principle we could move some things to XML config files, I think the main problem with that is that we've promized Modding support and a lot of people might see it as a huge cop out... I'll make a note of it though.

In other news, I just sat down with a designer and we nerfed the living poo poo out of research. Goblin scientists are hiding in their mud hovels weeping bitter tears at the research costs I just typed into an Excel spreadsheet. Assuming it doesn't break horribly, research will be very different in the next patch. As an indicator, the amount of research needed to complete everything has been increased by ~70-80%.

Wow, in the first patch? This'll be kinda interesting - a whole new game.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Hurgh.. this final campaign mission is just so.. hard. I've been at it for a few hours and I've managed to get two dreadnoughts up but it looks like it might be over anyway as there are just way too many enemies taking all my cities at once with tier four units everywhere for me to be able to take anything back. Has anyone beaten the campaign yet?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone else feel that human racials are.. lackluster? I try to avoid marine combat at all costs, so having less of a penalty when using ground units on the water, plus an unnoticable +5 production be the only racial bonuses seem a bit iffy. 5 production in 99% of cases isn't enough to shave a turn off, and excess production is wasted, so it seems kinda pointless. I'm not sure what they should get but it feels like.. something. 10-20% bonus xp towards rank ups, or maybe some sort of bonus to cavalry, or some more liked terrain. Human units are decent, but I find myself mostly using human priests more than any of their other unit, just because spirit damage is so rare and precious, while good cavalry is a dime a dozen.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Items carry over on the campaign btw, so whenever you play a sorcerer you should totally spam invoke mount if you can.

I didn't think of this the one map I got to be a sorcerer and I kind of regret it now.

• Locked thread