Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just found about this game and series a couple of days ago and seriously lamenting what I've been missing out years ago.

How difficult is it to get into the older games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Holy gently caress is shadow magic fun. Just did the tutorial and already sold.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

These 5 weeks are going to be such agony

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's 5 bucks more for the soundtrack and some random scenario? It's already worth it for the soundtrack.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Soon. Soon I will get my Dwarven Arch-Druid on. Everyone knows dwarves are closest to the earth because they're lowest to the ground.

Please I just want to play as Pious Dwarves that shall scour the aboveground in righteous crusades and Dreadnought Elves because Elves with muskets. Elven musketeers are awesome.

*Edit*

Oh yeah my friend brought up this concern to me as he is interested in the game but the combat colors could be an issue with all the red/orange/green tiles. Is there going to be a colorblind mode?

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 26, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I never considered this. I assume he has red/green color blindness? Does that mean he can't see the difference between red/orange/green at all?

Edit:

http://safecolours.rigdenage.com/palettefiles.html

I guess the safest thing to do would be to replace the orange color with a blue one, so green->blue->red...

Anyways, I can't promise anything, but I'll bring it up at work.

It's not that bad to the extent he can't tell the difference, he says that "certain shades of things are harder to tell apart. Like dull reds and greens sometimes look like they could go either way. If they're right next to each other I could tell though"

Thanks for the response, I'll tell him about the palette swap.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I spoke to my boss, and apparently his brother in law has color blindness. The current plan is to modify the icon's designs to make them easier to tell apart without having a palette swap being necessary.

Perfect. Thank you for responding to my question so promptly! It's much appreciated

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wasn't the Archdruid video showing that you have a tiny map with lots of players? Aka "knife fight in a cupboard" as he described it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

We sent it out to a bunch of youtubers, but only Germans and some Poles have posted stuff so far. Not sure why, but Germans just love the game, the pre-order was number one strategy game on German amazon at one point. Anyways, people on our forums have been dumping all the videos they can find showing gameplay footage into this thread:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/aow3-preview-videos/

Hahah you are right about the Germans loving the game. I was desperate for the gameplay videos and had to watch a German dude's beta let's play and he was so enthusiastic about the game. Sadly he seemed to have stopped now because he was uncertain when he could upload more of them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Overminty posted:

Just wanted to say part of the reason Im so hyped for the game is this guy doing the voiceovers, he's really sold it for me.

Who can forget that memorable "knife fight in a cupboard" comment

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think they should change a map/mission name to this now just as a running gag.

Seriously that's the best quote from the archdruid video and it works so well

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

quill18 is uploading some Dwarven theocrat videos and is not frustrating to watch him play unlike the other people who are playing this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMXiSzW1Gg

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The German LPers aren't frustrating, just not very helpful because the extent of my German is being able to say things like 'the dog is on the wardrobe'.

I had trouble finding many English speaking LPers when I did a quick search, and I caught a bit of his livestream the other day so it's nice he's youtubing it. It may be on his twitch archive too.

Oh the German ones are the quite good actually, I used to follow one guy and he was quite decent. It's English ones that kinda are frustrating to watch. And yeah the whole thing is on archives

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh well, worth a shot.

I'm watching Quill18's third play video and while he's actually fairly competent he keeps making correct assumptions about game mechanics and what the correct choice is, and then does the exact opposite for no reason.

I think he's like still testing around and seeing if his assumptions are correct. Like with the wounded units dealing the same amount of damage

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

It's no problem! It's only a shame that I can't really use the feedback anymore. I can fix crashes, and obviously broken things but that's about it. On the upside, we're mostly fixing minor poo poo now, and it's a relief that the game feels pretty much finished.

It must feel amazing to finally finish a game and all there is is to wait for the release date of the game. And pretty nerve wracking too.

Can't wait for the release of this game. It really hits a spot in gaming I've been missing for a while and I converted couple of people to get this game as well

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

I wanna see the warlord vid already, that's probably the class I'm most hyped for and the class I know the least about.

Get to it gerblyn go go go.

I'm interested in how the class buffs the Calvary really.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

I was just making a dumb Calvary/cavalry joke but I can't wait to dig into the the nitty gritty either.

That was a silly typo and I'm glad you pointed that out with a relevant joke. I always gently caress that word up.

Elves should have unicorn riders right? That and Warlord could be devastating

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Mounted Archers - T2 warlord class unit, no idea since I've never used them
Manticore Rider - T4 warlord class unit. Best cavalry full stop. High damage, flying death machine. Dwarf variant is toughest, Orc variant does more damage.

That T4 unit is terrifying good god. Also mounted archers yesss.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Only a week left!

I haven't been excited enough for a game to watch hours of video of people badly playing it since dragon's dogma.

I haven't preordered a game in a year and this game is making me do it.

I'm that excited

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

And on that note, just to be sure:

New thread for release or not?

Just keep this one in my opinion

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think of it as Fire Emblem logic. Those bastards have no self preservation and will do their best to make you reset the map by killing a unit

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

Watching these videos is making me want to play this so bad, hunngh.

Only a few days left. Shame it comes out as my spring break ends

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

People who can literally promise you life after death, with evidence, seem like the easiest people to form a religion around.

Were death cults ever a thing in AoW? Seems like those guys would be the prime candidates.

Also is there preloading for this game?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm torn between Orc Dreadnought or an Elven one. Orcs with muskets and steampunk technology is just such a great thing.

But first I'll probably complete the Elven campaign

2 more dayssss

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I can appreciate a turtle game and all but if I'm a dragon man with a flame tank I'm not gonna just hang out with it, some elf is getting burned.

I would say as a Elf dreadnought I'll return the favor but you fucks are resistant to fire

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Install faster dammit

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I have plugged in 9 hours of gameplay already. I fear for my soul

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Fun times so far, but man, Shrines of Smiting are brutal.

They really are but loving Dwarven Firstborn just laugh at them

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man the loving summoning spells for Archdruid are amazing. loving eels and other giant monster that wreck poo poo everywhere in the enemies face.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ojetor posted:

Played the 3v1 scenario (Taming of the Khan, I think) that has 3 players going up against a single AI during release yesterday with a friend. We were doing mostly well until the AI showed up with several stacks of Manticore Riders which just demolished us. That unit is absolutely ridiculous. 12 straight hours of gameplay and then we lost. I love this game.

God the most scary part about this game is how long it gets.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dispell kinda seems too strong honestly. Maybe it should have a chance of failing depending on the level of the spell? Or would that be too much

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Something about the AI gets hilarious in the campaign when you start amassing stacks of doom.

They start abandoning the cities you are going attack and raze them and then turtle up with their huge rear end stacks at the next available city.

Then once you arrive there they start retreating for some reason and you can pick off the stacks that get left behind. This continues all the way back to the throne city where there truly is a clusterfuck of stacks

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The ai are major dicks. You have an empty city? They are going to send one stack out there to capture it and be an nuisance and as it soon as it sees you coming it runs away.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

How I did the that mission. Had a dude nearby a border so when it expanded I was trespassing so they got pissed off at me and declared war. Had to go offensive early game and get rid of nearby towns including underground so they could only attack through one point.

Research the Gargantuan Monster skill. Spam the gently caress out if it and have doom stack of tier 3~4 monsters that you can afford to lose. Buff the gently caress out of them in battles. Rinse and repeat.

That campaign made me really love Archdruid

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

I was about to ask, is anyone using unit enchants? Having to give up not just an action, but your only spell action, means I'm not really touching them.

It may seem underwhelming but it does pay off in medium sized fights. Starblades paid off more than once by putting them on archers to slow incoming enemies down and boy is putting static shield on a tanky dude worth it for the stun chances.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I use them when I'm attacking really. Makes the retaliation suck for them. And if it means they are going to ignore the dude to go for other guys giving me easy flanks I'm very okay with this

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Taear posted:

I find my firstborn completely demolish them, as do Exalted. They'll only really cast their AoE when there's a lot of units around them too, try getting them stuck somewhere or blocking them off. Or even casting slow on them!

You can't target Firstborn at all with those because Firstborn have loving 100% spirit resistance.

It's still powerful as hell. I think the most fun moment was when I used the spell that makes you ignore distance and terrain negative stuff on them. I was besieging and still managed to snipe off the hero defending because the walls do nothing against noscope Shrines

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dwarven Theocrat is terrifying. Firstborn gives no fucks and pushes onwards while in the back comes the shrines and flanking you are the exalted making your life miserable.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Exactly the resurgence means you can recklessly use them for flanking as you'll get them back. A mobile dwarf is indeed a terrifying thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

dud root posted:

Is anyone playing with integrated laptop graphics? I'm getting the game freeze up after trying to initiate research.

Using HD4000, and the minimum specs is HD3000 which is significantly slower

Make sure you check you video card control panel and if it's being used properly. I had to go to my nvidia control panel and manually set the game to be allowed to use the high end stuff and the lag disappeared

• Locked thread