Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Wouldnt just making the game half off be better?
No part of that approach forces every single recipient of their coupon to be made aware of their lovely game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

maswastaken posted:

No part of that approach forces every single recipient of their coupon to be made aware of their lovely game.

How much do you think these lovely game devs pay to get their lovely game discount coupons handed out to every gamer to look at and go "wow this game is lovely"

I got like 17 for pixel pirates
that alone makes me wary of it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I just looked at the featured games on Steam right now, and they all either look like poo poo or come out in three months.

It's not like there's a lot of competition.

Unless you're trying to sell an open world survival horror zombie simulator or whatever, there's plenty of that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hello Meow posted:

How much do you think these lovely game devs pay to get their lovely game discount coupons handed out to every gamer to look at and go "wow this game is lovely"

I got like 17 for pixel pirates
that alone makes me wary of it

That made me wary of it too, then I looked at the description and saw it was made by the Terraria guy and that confirmed it was something I didn't want or need.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
At least Terraria was well-received. Pixel Piracy's reviews (and desperation coupons) suggest it doesn't even have that going for it.

I got the Fist of Awesome coupon as well, by the way. I can't wait to punch some epic AWESOME bears while having an epic AWESOME beard because im an epic AWESOME lumberfuck

gently caress that game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Free the Games (by being taught how to free them)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hey I wonder if there's still anyone who...nah surely not

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As someone who just read this thread periodically like a rubbernecker pases a wreck, is it officially "dead" or are they still flogging it to suckers?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

slidebite posted:

As someone who just read this thread periodically like a rubbernecker pases a wreck, is it officially "dead" or are they still flogging it to suckers?

They still send out E-mails, and have actually done things to improve the user experience and developer experience, but it's far too little too late. They'll hemorrhage money until they close shop. They're pretty consistently outsold by the N64 on Amazon, and also the nVidia shield, which I didn't know that anyone in the world owned.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
And yet that Techcrunch article says OUYA is "enjoying steady growth" and "the company wants to expand things even further over the next year."

Unfortunately wanting something is different from having it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nition posted:

And yet that Techcrunch article says OUYA is "enjoying steady growth" and "the company wants to expand things even further over the next year."

In that they're selling a non-zero number of the consoles, and people are still releasing games on it. They're still at ~30% of the library of XBLIG.

They're also still claiming to have 36,000 developers, when I'm pretty sure that's just people who have signed up on their forums.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Nition posted:

There's a lot of bullshit in that article.

quote:

it now has 36,000 registered developers, and is adding about 1,000 more each month

Registering for a forum is not the same as being a developer.

quote:

But OUYA’s gamers keep coming back, on average launching more than 13 games a week on the console. According to Uhrman, the average number of games installed per player on OUYA is more than 30.

I install and launch free apps on my phone all the time, it doesn't mean the developer gets any money though.

And this,

quote:

That is in contrast to the newer consoles, which cost hundreds of dollars each and have games that are priced at $50 or $60 each. The microconsole’s games are also designed to appeal to a different type of gamer, as opposed to the high-performance, hard-core 3D shooters built for the PS4 or Xbone.

is just straight bullshit, since any game that's not "baby's first sidescroller to scam OUYA's Free The Games fund" is on at least one of the new consoles, usually both.

Anytime a company says "we're steadily growing" in an article without even a vague dollar figure on anything, you know they're sinking.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 7, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Nition posted:

And yet that Techcrunch article says OUYA is "enjoying steady growth"

Yeah, steady growth of their net losses.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Rudager posted:

Registering for a forum is not the same as being a developer.

Have you seen the OUYA's library?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
No joke I actually know someone who defends the this poo poo console up and down. Like he refutes every possible thing you can think up to show how terrible this console is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fibby Boy posted:

No joke I actually know someone who defends the this poo poo console up and down. Like he refutes every possible thing you can think up to show how terrible this console is.

We all know XboxPants.

actually, he gave up on it completely

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Sono posted:

Have you seen the OUYA's library?

I seriously can't believe the amount of games in the OUYA library.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Bear in mind you don't actually need to release, or even make a game to get it into the library.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

We all know XboxPants.

actually, he gave up on it completely

That's actually not who I was talking about.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Hey I wonder if there's still anyone who...nah surely not

lol havent checked this thread in ages, glad to see there are some things you can still count on in this world.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I just can't accept that those posts are from this year. How does anyone continue to wait at that point?

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
they count developers based on how many people sign up here

I don't know if it has been updated now, but you didn't even have to verify your email address to create an account at the start.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Innovacious posted:

I don't know if it has been updated now, but you didn't even have to verify your email address to create an account at the start.

i dont think it has changed

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just signed up as fart@hotmail.com and it didn't even ask me to verify my address.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was getting the latest SCUMM-VM version today and saw this on their latest blog post.

quote:

We have added experimental support for the OUYA console (we couldn't add GCW-Zero support simply because sev still awaits his console from Kickstarter)

:allears:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was getting the latest SCUMM-VM version today and saw this on their latest blog post.

:allears:

The GCW zero is another console though. At one point I was considering getting one for portable emulation, but the first reviews were quite bad. I'm glad I waited before jumping in.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 9, 2014

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
gently caress: wrong thread.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I haven't checked this thread in like four or five months, how's the TWOYA coming along?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

everythingWasBees posted:

I haven't checked this thread in like four or five months, how's the TWOYA coming along?

It's out. Minecraft has their dev unit and Star Citizen is on it.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

There are still people who haven't received their Kickstarter OUYA.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OUYA Coming to China

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yes China the perfect place to launch a console that struggles to make money with its easily piratable digital service.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
For what it's worth, your odds of finding an OUYA or OUYA knock off in a grey market in Shenzen are probably already better than the odds of finding one in a backer's mailbox.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FrozenVent posted:

For what it's worth, your odds of finding an OUYA or OUYA knock off in a grey market in Shenzen are probably already better than the odds of finding one in a backer's mailbox.

I wanna make a joke about how bad an idea launching OUYA in China is, but I just can't find it in myself to effectively convey just how deeply awful it is. Like... the whole thing with the OUYA to begin with was to take a product that was totally saturating the market in China, and bring it over to the US where fewer people knew about them. How does that work to then take it back to China where, like you say, every market is buried with these devices? They already know your game, man! You got the whole idea from them in the first place!

It's like buying a thousand lottery tickets and then trying to turn around and sell them back to the state. For a profit.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

XboxPants posted:

How does that work to then take it back to China where, like you say, every market is buried with these devices?

They know the OUYA brand means quality, and they'll pay for it :smug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Are the games free yet? I heard OUYA was going to free all the games.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
All the games are still trapped in the OUYA, sorry.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The dev cycle for those 35000 games should be over soon, and the revolution can begin.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Are the games free yet? I heard OUYA was going to free all the games.

I keep getting mails about [game I never heard before] releasing exclusively on Ouya, so no, not free yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
A backer could go to a Goodwill and buy an OUYA for a fraction of their pledge.

• Locked thread