Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Apparently Wii U has been a pretty good platform for indies as well, and that's great, but that's a ~$300 system. It also doesn't have the built-in library of a 360, or even Wii.

Wii U plays Wii games (including VC titles) and uses Wii controllers. Are you just fabricating and hoping we won't notice now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Haraksha posted:

Just imagine how different the tone of this thread would be if the Kickstarter had said, "We see Android as a viable gaming platform, but feel that the hardware is too fragmented to know where a good point of entry is. We want to create a dedicated Android console with high end, but affordable, specs that developers can use as a benchmark in indie gaming."

Sticking to the Play store would have helped too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comes from this post earlier.

XboxPants posted:

Special Note: I made this post with the voice to text on my android phone, which tragically doesn't seem to recognize the word "OUYA". So, in the spirit of this thread, I just used whatever my phone thought I was trying to say, and capitalized it in magical "OUYA" fashion.

So I just realized that I have never said that I actually agree with a lot of the discussion on this issue, and I should probably make things clear. One reason I don't often make posts that only say "yes I agree with that" is because it feels like I'm just making a "me to" post. And usually does her something to avoid. But this is probably a special case.

So to be clear I realize that the WHO WE ARE almost definitely almost definitely won't solve every one of those software issues I always talk about. Some of them might not be solved because of a problem with the software that's made by the OEF company. And others won't be solved just because Android is a more PC like operating system than what you typically see on a console.

For instance there are a ton of hardware accessories you could use with the LEON BUDD, and that process won't be as simple as console accessories.

So yeah, I do realize that kinda thing. But I'm still hoping that the TWO YELLOW will make some of those issues better, that's all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bucketmouse posted:

Pretty sure this was because Gunpei Yokoi was messing around with it as a prototype when he died and Nintendo just grabbed it out of his department and ran with it.

Wario Land was still pretty great though.

VB was released while Yokoi was still around. Its failure drove him out of Nintendo and to his incredibly unlucky demise. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Yes. It sounds confusing because it sounds like I'm saying that a judgment can be both right and wrong at the same time.

But, that is what I'm saying. A judgment can be both right and wrong. Just because a given judgment is correct doesn't mean it's something you should base a decision on.

The example I used works well, here:
"The money OUYA raised on their Kickstarter isn't enough on its own to deliver what they're promising."

That judgment is right. However, it is the wrong judgment if you're trying to decide how to judge whether or not OUYA is a scam.

What does this even mean. Mostly I want to quote this before it gets edited out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Game Informer has a HOOHAH spoof in the current issue, I'll try to get a scan up when I get home.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here is the Game Informer satire:

I would buy one before the HOOHA but not at the price they list. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Noo Kellee! You're better than this! :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Reading all the poo poo about Visorman, all the selling points are things that the game doesn't have. NO IRONSIGHTS! NO TWO STICK CONTROL! NO ONLINE MUTLIPLAYER! It's almost as if the game doesn't have anything appealing so the guys marketing it are talking about the things it doesn't have and then acting like those things are unappealing.

Disciples of the School of Uhrman.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Devian666 posted:

I feel sorry for those that funded it and I can't blame them in any way. The OOGA kickstarter was dishonest in its presentation, and in fact resulted in changes to the kickstarter rules.

I didn't realize it was that crazy. What changed?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

raditts posted:

Does it still count as a controller if it barely corresponds to what's on screen and crumbles in your hands when you try to use it, though?

The Bluetooth device that comes with the KSHATRIYA is really more of a "suggester" than a "controller."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Julie posted:

Does that mean some Ouyas in future will not be compatible with certain games? Uhrman is looking to avoid that scenario. "We have a plan where all content will be compatible with future Ouya systems; we don't want to fragment our own market for developers, and we always want gamers to have a great experience," she commented.
Hey Julie, you literally cannot make utilizable, more powerful hardware and not have some of the titles developed on it not be backwards compatible. There's no plan to fix this, this is just how the universe works.
I'm no OUYApologist but I read that as "new systems will play old games," not the other way around. Though she does muddy the waters in the very next sentence.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Also, the controller faceplates are held on by magnets. It's aluminum.

What the gently caress magnets do you have access to that will stick to a pepsi can?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem. And that's not just a pro-OUYA argument. It's completely possible that OUYA could totally collapse and the servers would be offline two months from now. If someone read that review and decided to buy an OUYA, only to find out that they couldn't actually get any games on it, that's pretty hosed up. By the same principle, the issue that OUYA fanboys bring up about possible improvements to the software and library holds some water, as well.

It's just generally bad practice to review a product several months before it's available for purchase, because who knows what will change. In this case, I think that it was actually alright for them to review it early, for some of the reasons you mentioned - but it's still not a good habit to get into, and they should definitely look into the system again at release and do a second review if there have been significant changes.

But that's also just my opinion.

Tell us all about journalistic integrity, please.

Without somebody actually getting up on their hind legs and misrepresenting the product telling people it's poo poo, all you have is Uhrman and company misrepresenting the product. Except you can't have someone call them out on it, because that would make people not buy a lovely product.

And God knows we can't have that happen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

The reason why Ouya is getting negative reviews is simply because of 2 major reasons.

1. It was over-hyped somehow to be perfect and when Critics got their hands on it, they just expected it to be better than what it is. They criticize its controller, quality and quantities of game, and the early interface and software. Its simply still under development and face it, us backers are basically beta testers until the console could be potentially improved and fixed before the June 4th release. Critics these days tend to point out more flaws than good. Every console and games have their flaws which can be fixed in the near future, but the good that comes with it is really what I'm looking forward too.

2. They were most likely paid by the Big companies such as Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to put a bad review on it because they don't want the Ouya to change the 'Status Quo' which could potentially change gaming and the Corporations and Companies would lose money due to Ouya doing things differently.

Man everything is a conspiracy these days.

Sugoi Pilot-san posted:

:psyduck: I thought cell phones came with some support like a warranty? Not to mention when a new phone comes out an I the only one who doesn't shill out for it?

There are a few people who do, but there are way more who don't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Conclusions posted:

Google "microconsole" and you find another article, written by the same guy. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184465/2013_The_year_of_the_microconsole.php

He's apparently coined the term (despite OnLive getting to it first), got his blog post republished a few times, and is milking it for all its worth.

I wonder if he knows "brace" means "pair."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aweful Dreams posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I'd go that far :) GameStick is definitely better at communicating with their customers, but they've already jerked customers around in a minor way (well, me at least). I preordered a GameStick, and they told Amazon (their merchant) that the device was preparing to ship so that the order cannot be canceled. I don't want to cancel it, but because they did that I couldn't if I wanted to.

Nice way to get the same "got your money, fuckers!" deal you can get from Kickstarter.

That's actually pretty scummy. If it's "preparing to ship" for more than a few days, will Amazon slap the merchant if you ask?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

OUYA: Powered by SONY.

No it's okay they're undermining the Big Three with their own products.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zylche posted:

This is going in a direction I like. :allears:

Enjoy this rough site for viewing MarkovPants quotes http://78.129.218.249/markovpants/

markovpants posted:

Retarded, but the gently caress with at establishing a response to. 3", they don't you can deliver things harder for both amazon now i dunno, i guess i'll modify this as snatching up priorities. Line of what i should have to calm down in the expense of the last. Consumer thing i referenced earlier: his changes the stakes if the google it and there's one - a pretty drat psn. Guided experiences, like you look forward to, the fact that the biggest games rely solely on my bedroom.

First out of the gate for me. The biggest games rely solely on my bedroom, indeed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

That's actually rather clever. I have no idea the pros/cons of doing it in this case, but if I ever do any of my own crafted stuff I'll keep it in mind should a panel need to be removed often and I don't want to find a screwdriver every time.

Magnets work OK if it's not a panel you expect to have a lot of sliding friction on or that doesn't have an edge that is likely to get pried up. Screws and snaps are frankly a much better solution for a game controller which always has the first and probably has the second.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

loving hell, why.

Hey come on, for a couple of days that was the closest we got to audio or video of the South by Southwest keynote.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

They don't have upvotes or star ratings? They have "O-ranks"?

They want to see your O-face ranks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Necroneocon posted:

I googled Sengoku Rance and it looked like a nifty strategy game in an interesting time period but then I saw the non-game player made stuff and then I understood.

Just... just stay away from that one. Really.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Both the airplane mode test and jammed button IAP booby trap had me giggling for a good six minutes. Even if it's more fun to fantasize about than actually do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

If it's distilled water you're pretty safe as well since water lacks contaminants to conduct the electricity like it normally would. :science:

Right up until your greasy rear end sheds stuff into it to make it a good conductor again. Which doesn't take all that long.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Have they released anything like this for say an S3? Kind of seems like something that should exist somewhere.

Couple of add on things have been tried for the various phones; check out the iOS and Android gaming threads for how Apple and Logitech plan to turn your phone into almost a 3DS and other gory details.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

Then it's gonna be double-beta. It's beta all the way down.

Worked for Google. How long was Gmail a "beta" before they finally dropped that off the name?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like play-asia bought in:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1jr-49-en-70-2jqs.html

$150 US plus shipping.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I should know this, but what's the tune you're going for there?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are they any good or are they like those lovely Dynasty Warrior reskins that came out over the last couple years?

Gundam Vs. Extreme owns and Gundam Breaker is looking promising too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mintergalactic posted:

I've found the easiest way to stop enjoying Portal is to take a glance at the fanbase.

Name something this isn't true of.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What Fun posted:

If anyone's looking for something to do, reddit has a thread in its main Games forum about the new Ouya (lack of) sales numbers. A lot of people who aren't familiar with the debacle are asking questions about it, and it seems like many would be receptive to the non-fanboy version of events. For example, I already see people being told the controllers "aren't that bad" and were "fixed at launch". It's overwhelming to me, but I think if someone made a few real posts it might save some poor sap who isn't subscribed to r/ouya from thinking the system is anything other then a flaming wreck.

They're posting on reddit so they're already beyond redemption. Plus that sounds an awful lot like an invasion.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I'd imagine at a certain point DHL also has to start going "Hey dicknoses, you aren't paying us enough to poo poo talk us all over the place."

Counterpoint: DHL sucks pretty bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Julies TED talk would be the greatest thing ever. Just an hour of buzzwords and circular logic and in the end nothing gets said.

So like the rest of the TED talks, then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

It's like they saw we were getting restless in here and just threw us out something to mock.

EDIT: http://youtu.be/g0ha6Mb5_YQ Can't hide anything on the internet!

Amazing. OUYA continues to deliver.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

A new post from Julie:

Bad things can happen. It's alright though, because good things happen too. We may be crazy for wanting good things, but that's why you believe in us. The belief in good things. Now look at these car keys *jingle*

Bionic Fighters – Imagination Vent
Neverending Nightmares – Matt Gilgenbach
Dungeons the Eye of Draconus – William McDonald
Pixel Star 01 – Suresh Kannankkot
Check: Chapter One – Peter James Saunders
FFZ – Rebecca Leonard
Urisis the Darkthrone – John Pinto
StoryQuest Online – naoulex
Helicopter Bon – SeaBurnGames

Hmm. What am I not seeing on that list?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Let's be fair to Sony. There is also a fairly large likelihood that the controllers they ship will not disassemble in transit.

Pfff. So much for Sony's indie cred.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Was this linked yet?

Snuffing out disruptive microconsoles won't be so easy for the 'big three'

"The nascent mobile console market is not just one startup -- it is not Ouya, it is not GameStick, GamePop, Mojo, etc. This isn't a brand vs. brand "race." That's the small picture. This is about the old guard that will find it increasingly difficult to fend off -- and inevitably have to adapt to -- an entire disruptive innovation."

Disruptive microconsoles - innovating 50k units at a time. Big three can't fend off the onslaught.

Swear to god "disruptive" is this decade's "web 2.0"

They're as disruptive as that kid in the back of the classroom making GBS threads in his own pants and laughing about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Iacen posted:

Who's making a market for these things and when do companies stop trying to make Android consoles a thing?!

It took a few years for them to give up on 3D TV so we probably have another year or so before they figure out we aren't biting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Afal posted:

Went into my nearest GAME. Saw this. Went out with Saints Row IV

(I already have an OUYA :negative:)

There are still a few consoles and controllers kicking around a Best Buy near me. Been there since "launch," untouched.

EDIT:vvv Look man, I'm doing it for my PhD.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 9, 2013

• Locked thread