Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure they were actually going to do that, but they got rid of it due to bad press.

Jokes on all of us: it was to be the most comfortable controller of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ol' Crazy Eyes thinks that this is a killer app:

http://www.stalagflight.com/

I hope you guys who bought these dumb things enjoy your doorstops.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

WendigoJohnson posted:

It irks me to an extent because this really reminds me of the Gizmondo.

We're just one Ferrari away...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A Roku can do Netflix and a whole host of other things and it has the added benefit of not being a piece of poo poo.

E: assuming that what Wendigo has is the real LEON BUDD, it sounds like the "final" unit that may or may not ship on the 28th is going to be supported by integrated (and really obnoxious) advertising. You'd be better served dropping another hundred or so on an HD Roku2 (or 60 on the regular one if you don't have an HDTV) and watching Netflix (and Amazon Instant, and TED, and a bunch of other things) on it.

I'm not a shill for Roku. My mom has one and it owns.

A used Wii is probably the best SD Netflix solution... pretty good game selection, too :D

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Morglon posted:

Well some people on this very site had some good results with making GBS threads on Gamecubes. I'm just throwing it out there.

You're confusing chili (pre-poo poo) with poo poo (post-chili) again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

theflyingorc posted:

This is known as "A Tim Schafer game."

The man can create setting and dialogue like nobody's business, but mechanics? Not so much.

Except for the fact that he wasn't involved with The Cave other than as the studio head... he didn't write or design the thing, and you can be drat sure he didn't work on any programming.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

We need to understand that they will say/do anything to get people to put down money on the FROOTLOOP, including telling them that it will run games they actually want to play.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I can't imagine emulators being categorically illegal given that we have the Retron being sold by Amazon.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Barudak posted:

Is this a real product or is Amazon selling a render?

That's a render of the new Retron, which will be a real product... there are 3 that have come before it:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 25, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hardware emulation of older consoles is a different kettle of fish entirely, mainly because it's a device that will play legal copies of software. Software emulation is a lot more finicky because you're dealing with the copyrights to every single individual emulated game. That and I think the hardware patents on the older consoles have finally lapsed.

But these consoles are not reverse engineered hardware, they're simply systems on a chip with emulators thrown on... ignoring the fact that they have the ports for plugging in original cartridges/controllers, they're functionally identical to a software emulator on your PC.

[edit] What that guy said ^^^

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

It's important to remember that some lucky DOUBLEDOWN owners will be receiving their consoles in Limited Edition poo poo brown variant.

Who even knows when those beasts will ship!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Suspicious Dish posted:

Minecraft has our development kit would make for a great thread title if we were still doing that :(

Hell with that... "It is baked. It's done."

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Rockbear posted:

If you spend a few minutes mentally weaving the OUYA into Arrested Development as a Bluth product, it's surprising how well it works.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I'd play a Boy Fights game on the SEAWARD C-WORD.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Guess Apple didn't get the memo that the BURGLEKUTT already boasts the Stradivarius of controllers...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Monarch posted:

Unless they make an app market that you can sell games for more than $1 on then I doubt it'd have a great impact on "hardcore" games.

You can sell poo poo for whatever you want on the App Store

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Thank you for reminding me that I need to purchase the best thing to come out of XBLIG... possibly the only good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02tYjNfsrw

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just you wait.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep:

(First Microsoft Console, to be technical about it ... yeah I did some games for this)

For a brief second I thought that I was back in the Retro Gaming Megathread.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Guess Julie has a different definition of "baked" than the rest of us do:

Ouya downplays early criticism; Early Kickstarter units are not indicative of final product, says spokesperson

tl;dr version: YOU FUCKERS JUST BOUGHT A BETA, SAYS OUYA

[edit] Remind me again, these people are supposed to be good at Marketing, right? Because they're definitely not good at anything else... and it's not looking too good for PR.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 8, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

XboxPants posted:

"Our hardware is baked, it's complete, it's done," she said. "But the software will continue to evolve. It'll get better every single day, week, month and year. We'll get more games every single day."

That's not to say OUYA, Uhrman, or their messaging beyond reproach - far from it. They've said misleading things tons of times. That just wasn't one of them.

Those sites that are giving the Ouya bad reviews/scores are not basing those judgments solely on beta software, they're also basing it on a controller that has very serious issues.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ouya: Basically an Atari 2600

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/ouya-kickstarter-review/

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Julie is bad at Internet

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I stole this, hopefully she responds:

[edit] If nothing else, @OUYAForum_com is following me again.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 3, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Slate Action posted:

I highly doubt OUYAs will ever hit stores. I think I'd have to see one, in person, in a store to believe they were in stores.

Oh, they'll hit stores alright... THRIFT STORES.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Matlock Birthmark posted:

How the hell did they get that? Did someone sell it to them, or is it just an empty box?

Because it's pretty great that it's in a store way before June and way before all backers have them.

Judging by the items around it, it's a "coming soon" display shelf of empty boxes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

"There may be a few ponies involved in the shipping, I'm not completely sure."

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Rad Valtar posted:

Also I hope this gem gets answered:

Rovio, AAA E'ryday

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Palpek posted:

She is a lot at PR.

And yet she's one of the worst, most transparently fake communicators I have ever seen.

I *literally* believe nothing that comes out of her mouth is based on an honest opinion.

[edit] Delete all the Engineers, replace them with Rockstars.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1dmykb/hey_reddit_we_are_ouya_founderceo_julie_uhrman/c9ruw1l

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 3, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Palpek posted:

I don't know how they think this is acceptable in professional communication.

It's not. This is not professional communication.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Rad Valtar posted:

Thats a lot of basements.

That may be the number of units shipped... perhaps they're counting every single person with a FIGNUTS as a developer.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

"Hope your early birds enjoy your box of garbage!"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Palpek posted:

This answer alone:

:stare: drat

Find a way to silence you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

EvilHawk posted:

Wait wait, so the backers are now part of a "preview period"? So they're basically beta testers?

This has been pretty much established as such since the first units shipped.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

This is the first I've heard of a "Preview Period" and I've been reading this thread a lot. A lot.

She clearly makes up everything on the fly, so this is just another one of those things.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

AngstyFerrets posted:

Well, at least we've learned that "BAWB" isn't a real name, just Bob's Stupid loving Nickname.

That's progress!

Also, who is this? From what I can tell it's just some kid who posts Minecraft videos that get middling amounts of views on Youtube.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Oh, No! The Big Three Strike Back!

Rumor: Nintendo offering Wii U conversion software to smartphone app devs

e: oh look who got beat by Kotaco

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Unlike the FLAUTA, the Wii U's pad seems ideal for smartphone game porting.

Not that I want to play a smartphone game on my console, but that's a separate argument completely.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fnoigy posted:

I literally see like, 2. Everything else is just talking about OUYA, and only the top several tweets were made since Friday.

I counted at least 5 within the last half hour. Not sure if that's significant, but it's there.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I'm hoping this is a misguided reaction to their abortion (or would it be stillbirth?) of an AMA and that there are no actual CREAMPUFFs shipping, resulting in even more negative PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

XboxPants posted:

Also new OUYA video went up. I wouldn't mention it but they talk to one of the server guys about encryption.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UPbPDaiKWE

This video editing is breaking my loving brain... jump cuts when the subject is sitting listening of off camera interview questions?! Just edit the audio, you goddamned moron!

God loving damnit, learn to do your loving job like a non-retard.

I cannot believe this guy has a job, but that's GRAPENUTS for ya.

• Locked thread