Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

According to http://isouyashipping.com/, of roughly 900 Ouya backers a total of five have received their cube 'o' crap. Now my maths isn't up to much but even I can tell it's going to take a while to deliver 60,000 units at that rate.

Perhaps Julie is personally hand delivering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Really curious to know what kind of half-arsed games developer Aweful Dreams works for, surely nobody with any competence could seriously be interested. I'm guessing that when he says "my company" he's referring to the partnership between himself and the deep sense of regret he has for spending money on BOOYAH.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That graph is poo poo, looks like she drew the line on in MS Paint.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

01011001 posted:

The thing that gets me is the sub-Excel graph. I mean any idiot could put a semi-exponential looking curve in Excel and roll with it but that's clearly just several straight lines that were manually thrown together to conveniently hit 100% at a good time. The dotted line nature of it makes it even more obvious.

I am just so confused by this graph. What were they thinking?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's still looking like many of the units out there that didn't go into the hands bloggers have gone to people in California. Two people on the Reddit Ouya board who say theirs are on the way have wildly differing backer numbers (one 2000, one 32,000), but they are both in or near Compton.

Are shipping costs between US states much higher than shipping within? Could they be so short on cash they're just sending what hardware they have already to the backers who are closest to their office?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any proof that they have made agreements with retailers to have this on store shelves? Julie said back in February that they were going to be in Best Buy and Gamestop, as well as Amazon...but that was the same time she said backers would have theirs in March. Have the stores themselves confirmed anything?

Can't see it going down well in the UK at least, even if they had enough units for retail who the hell would carry it other than Amazon? Our high streets are hosed right now, and aside from the big out of town stores, the places like Game and HMV that would normally sell consoles aren't likely to be taking those kinds of risks when they're all having to be rescued from bankruptcy.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Behold the awesome power of Ouya: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile

(Scroll to no. 73)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

fentan posted:

Wait, hold up, are you saying you shelled out $700 for the clear plastic "developers special" ouya and you still haven't received it? Has the fact that the loving PRE ALPHA version of this trashbag still hasn't finished shipping been covered in this thread and I missed it? Holy poo poo.

What the gently caress. Badr please explain this, what exactly did Ouya tell you about the dev units?

Weren't those supposed to have all been sent in December? How is they can be sending out hardware to backers if they haven't yet managed to fulfill all the hideously overpriced development systems?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

They may have found actual insects in the device and now they're sent one of their staffers out to do some internet research on what kind of pesticides are safe to use on electronics.

They should contact Aweful Dreams, I hear he is quite the Internet research wizard.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

Well Ninbuntu64 (the OP of the first OUYA thread)

Where is this thread now? I have been defeated by the forum search.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Someone on Reddit claims to have actually received their WOTSIT. Two things about it though:

1) His backer number was in the 47k region (are they still claiming to be sending them in backer order?)
2) He paid extra for the LE and received just the bog standard edition. Says he is not upset about this though, which is a stunning level of denial even for the most ardent fans of this fuckshow.

XboxPants, what will you do if you receive a dull grey POTATO instead of the brown one? You paid out all that money.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Shots of the internals: http://imgur.com/a/gXy55

Sexy fan.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Now, admittedly I know zero about producing hardware (which puts me on a par with Julie), but it seems like there's very little involved here. You've got the PCB, which presumably needs someone to slap on the fan and a few other pieces, and then they're dropped into the casing. Would have thought that your average Chinese worker could just pump these out in no time, so why the huge delay in getting them made and shipped?

Edit: there's QA testing too, though who knows how much of that they're actually doing. Would it be normal to check the durability of connectors for example? Like those machines in Ikea which do nothing but bounce up and down on chairs to see how long they last.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The Asus thing does look better, and their media centric approach makes more sense than trying to revolutionise console gaming. The Huawei MediaQ is the most potentially interesting Android TV thing I've seen though. It's really tiny, designed to sit out of sight behind a TV, and has HDMI input as well as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so you can plug in a satellite or cable box. As well as being a standalone Android system it also provides screen mirroring for any other smartphones or tablets you might have. And it's gonna be about $80.

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's unknown what kind of QA testing, if any, the OUYA goes through. All signs point to them shipping right off the line.

I do have some sympathy for the people that fell for this, but it'll be amusing if they start melting into a puddle of goo or have connectors drop off in a few months time.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 16, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sitting above the Ouya in that table are also the 1.2GHz dual core Galaxy S2 (a two year old phone) and many other older dual core devices including a ton of obscure Asian releases.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Jon93 posted:

The best thing is you can probably get your hands on a used Galaxy S2 for less than 99 USD, which outputs to HDMI and is able to accept a PS3 controller connection over Bluetooth.

Bonus: buying second hand means gigantic corporation Samsung doesn't get any of your money . You can also effortlessly sideload any crappy Ouya games that aren't already available on Google Play.

Could even use the S2 as a jack-of-all-trades living room gadget, set it up as multifunction remote and web browser, and even use it make Skype calls, replacing your phone line and thus sticking it to the man even more.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Is it one of those phones that will actually boot without a SIM card? I had plans to do that with my Droid X but apparently without a valid SIM card it's a paperweight.

Really? Never seen an Android phone that wouldn't boot without a SIM card. The S2 and S3 definitely start up without a SIM.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

limaCAT posted:

Don't forget about the yearly updates.

Haha oh dear, yes, that.

What's the plan there? Let's be generous and assume they manage to not only fulfill the backer orders but get a retail release sorted, and stay in business afterwards.

They then have to shell out more money for the design, production and testing of another version. But how many people are going to hand over another $99? And devs will have to tweak their software to the next iteration of the hardware. How will the amateur coders cope with that? What if I build a game based on the new hardware then find out that most people are still using the original console? What if I upgrade my BUNGABUNGA and discover that a bunch of games no longer function and won't be updated because the devs have closed down or given up.

It doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense on any level. You can't copy the mobile phone model just because you've made a console from mobile hardware. Networks have the income from their subscribers, it's pretty loving unlikely these idiots will be making so much bank off a cut of the software that they can afford to pay for new hardware every year and all the associated problems it will bring.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

bagina posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stop you right there... This implies testing has happened for the first iteration of the BOOBSHITELECTROMAGNETICPOWERFUCKER...?

I can tell you're a glass half empty kinda guy. Where is your faith? Do you not want to see the BIG THREE crushed under the mighty boot of the ELECTRICBOOGALOO?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Speaking of, has anyone seen a CE logo and certificate yet? If not, thee will be hell to pay in the EU, as currently happening with the Pebble watches.

Pebble is getting hassle from customs because it lacks the CE mark, however you can get a copy of the certificate and take it along to get them to release the device to you. Far as I can tell BADGER doesn't even have a certificate, or at least it's not mentioned on their site.

Not to worry though, their shipping procedure appears to involve sending out one or two units a day to whoever's close to their office, so it's going to be years before any of them go overseas.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

limaCAT posted:

Aren't you being a bit too much optimist to believe the CRABS is shipping? :v:

According to Julie's hilariously innacurate MS Paint graph we should at this point be seeing deliveries to something like 15% of backers (the chart is useless so that is a huge guess using XboxPants Maths) which means something in the region of 12,000 of them should be sat doing nothing under televisions across the country, and indeed world.

However, isouyashipping.com currently shows that of 1,453 respondents (2.53% of backers), only 12 (0.83%) have received their magic box.

It doesn't even get better if you just go by those that have received shipping notices rather than deliveries - that's just 18 people.

Even if you allow for a huge amount of error in the stats it's still waayyy behind where Julie said it should be. It's so far from their claims that it's hard to see what has happened here. We know the thing exists and has been sent to a few people, but if they actually have a factory making these, where the gently caress are they all?

So in conclusion, yes he is being a massive optimist.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 17, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

luncheon meat posted:

There's a picture maybe 9 posts above yours with a CE logo on the motherboard so at least they managed to get something right.

Is that enough though? That CE mark is for motherboard but surely they would need something on the outside of the device itself, if not on the packaging too?

Just guessin', but it seems like otherwise even the shoddiest product could bypass all that CE stuff by simply having one certified component.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Edit: Apart from the pad - does that have any certification at all?

Electric shocks are one of its exclusive features, you don't get that kind of cutting edge excitement with the big three. Early bird backers also receive second degree burns.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fair few people asking for refunds on Twitter...

Oh no and one guy who says he is going to host an 'Ouya party', Julie replies to say she'll send pizza and the guy thinks she is being serious and says he'll send his details. C'mon man, you can buy your own drat pizza with all the money you saved by not buying a big three console.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Texmo posted:

They'd better make drat certain those controllers aren't cheap poo poo though.

Too late.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Here is a diagram of how we will slice the pizza:

Excuse me I paid extra for a full slice of pizza engraved with the names of the top backers, but when it arrived it was blank on the back and someone had taken a bite out of it?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

JaysonAych posted:

Time to register ispizzashipping.com!

Please do this, complete with blog filled with nonsensical charts and conflicting information.

My only question is what flagship toppings do you have to compete with the big three (Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns)?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I just hope pizza rejects the likes of pepperoni and cheese, I'm tired of seeing the same thing year after year, the big 3 are just playing it safe with those toppings they know will sell.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Huh? Those were top of the line, A list systems. The cost of putting out a game for them alone shut down any indie devs, not to mention that it was a bit more complicated than the "so simple a dog can program" crap that SNOOSNOO thinks will sell the system.

But he yearns for the days when games didn't hold your hand and they weren't all about graphics and raaarrggh retro good old days blah blah.

This is one of the most confusing aspects of DIDDLYBOP. The fans talk about how they don't like modern games and cite classics like Chrono Trigger and the old Zelda titles, ignoring that they were cutting-edge AAA titles in their day.

Maybe in twenty years time we'll see someone trying to Kickstart a console with the promise of playing classics like Call of Duty and Battlefield, you know from the golden age of gaming when it wasn't all about electrodes inserted into your skull.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Do you guys have a plan of action for when your Kickstarter money runs out? Because if you don't, make one. You won't be able to finance through advertising.

They have a site based entirely around a dodgy Kickstarter project. I don't think forward planning is part of their skill-set.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Well, reviews aren't a big focus, either. I know they're popular, we'll do them, but I really am mainly gonna do stuff more like "hey this game is kinda neat, check it out" along the lines of something like an indiegames.com post. Honestly, the site overall isn't really the main focus; it exists largely to support the video content.

So your site is completely pointless? If you're just going to write a description of the games you might as well set up a Wiki site and be done with it. Providing an opinion would actually be useful.

I did like your top 10 video though. The dub-step soundtrack and cheap CG contrast nicely with the NES-era visuals of HOOGABOOGA games. Hilarious. Also never heard anyone say 'OUYA' before and man...that name really is terrible.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

"A platformer’s “feel” is something hard to define"

gently caress's sake. You took money off people on Kickstarter for this unmitigated bollocks?

One thing we don't need is more untalented games writers knocking out fan sites by the dozen. Give up and get a job more suited to your talents.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A book's "feel" is hard to define.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

loving hell, Xboxpants has entered a new dimension of insanity. This thread gets better by the minute.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'm really looking forward to Friday. Namely, because I want to see if Julie can post the no effort graph for a 3rd week in a row with no information, and not have people up in arms about it.

She can't hope to milk that thing into May, when it will become very clear it's not matching up with reality.

She's given us another reason to look forward to Fridays. I hope the hand painted chart does make a third appearance.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

I just want to reiterate how unbelievably funny it is that, upon called out for their lack of transparency, Uhrman said she'd increase the visibility of their production by sending a pre-shipping email.

Cause I mean, oh my god you guys.

Hey I just wanted to let you know that we totally thought about sending you that thing you paid for. Sure, it's not ready and we lack the competence to even put a label on a box, but just think how awesome it would be if this was a shipping notice.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mr Pants, if you actually have any serious intentions of writing for a career then a feature on this complete fiasco would not be a bad start. That will likely require you to say some negative things about them, however, which I'm not sure you'll be able to handle.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

But, but he can just ask us, right? Guys?

'Ask a forum' is definitely a method taught at journalism school. It's right after the module on how to interpret shady MS Paint graphs and just before the lessons on being a pedantic, illogical nitwit.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Xboxpants why the gently caress do you have 4chan moderation listed under experience on your LinkedIn page. Really don't think you'll want that kind of association on a professional profile if you ever hope to get paid writing work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Aweful Dreams posted:

These are probably from the test lot, Julie confirmed the pictures as real:

This explains it - they spent all their money on a few units and a round-the-world ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

This is incredible. The chart is back for a third week and it is even more inexplicable.

Most amazing is the reaction of the die-hard fanbase. They continue to accept these lies, and are still talking about the retail launch. If they can't even get their poo poo together enough to send out 60,000 HORSETROUGHS in a reasonable timescale, how the gently caress are they ever going to manage a retail launch. And it's supposed to be worldwide.

• Locked thread