Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I can't see that guy making a huge red scarf work. Why isn't Django that cowboy-themed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Geostomp posted:

I can't see that guy making a huge red scarf work. Why isn't Django that cowboy-themed?

I'm not even sure what his design theme is supposed to be. I do like the scarf, but only as Red Django. Black Django's wings-scarf, while thematically fitting, strikes me as a bit silly. He's named after the classic spaghetti western cowboy Django, though (who also drags around a coffin!), so that's certainly something.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Zack Ater posted:

I'm not even sure what his design theme is supposed to be. I do like the scarf, but only as Red Django. Black Django's wings-scarf, while thematically fitting, strikes me as a bit silly. He's named after the classic spaghetti western cowboy Django, though (who also drags around a coffin!), so that's certainly something.

Django, to me, really comes off as more of an 'adventurer' type with the generally mobile outfit he wears.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Heavy Sigh posted:

Django, to me, really comes off as more of an 'adventurer' type with the generally mobile outfit he wears.

Yeah, definitely. I more mean... the games are very thematic. The first two, at least, have a distinct western feel (with vampires!), between the music and several of the names: Django, Sabata, and Ringo, for instance, are all names of main characters from classic spaghetti westerns. Then, through all three games, there's the Norse naming theme for the non-vampire Immortals and Eternals. Also, Lunar Knights seems to have some obsession with naming characters after authors. (Not sure whether that last one needs to be in a spoiler, but hey, better safe than sorry.)

Anyway, with all these themes, I find it somewhat odd that the two main characters aren't themed after something specific. I assume it's done to make Django and Sabata more iconic to the games, but still, I can't help but try to look for some specific theme in their design.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update#11: Cheyenne, The Bad Man of Dark City.

Alright! Let's get this on!

Dark Alley

This area will serve as a testing ground for Django's new abilities and-

-and we will likely have to chase after a suicidal cat.

This first room contains Sunblock, and a pointless pit.

Panel: The beast-type monster Bandit has the ability to steal items. You can get them back by defeating the Bandit that took them, but items that are eaten are gone forever.

There's the Bandit, it works the same as the Grave Keeper from the Cemetary (thankfully not as powerful though). No height difference here, but its not needed.

And here's the theft in action. They'll do a flying leap at you, and if they connect they'll steal a random item. If you kill them, you'll get it back, but if you take too long, they'll eat it if it is edible, and if you leave the area its gone for good.

Heading out the northwest exit...

Panel: Watch your head!! The beast-type monsters Poison Bees lurk in their nests. If you don't want to get into a fight, make sure you don't provoke their nests.

...Please don't tell me the Immortal here can control bees.

: Bees make their nests in sacks?

Poison bees react to your movement. Every second you're moving normally, the hive shakes. If it shakes three times...

:derp: OH GOD NOT THE BEES! :derp:

(Poison bees work like regular bees, circling close before darting in. However, they do a lot more damage and poison on contact. They're even fast enough to get past an ill-timed fist. Definitely something to engage at range.)

Now, there is a way to avoid them. If you press against the wall and slide, they won't notice you, so combined with the hives small area of 'awareness', they're fairly easy to sneak by.

That narrow gap is actually a path, but we have to sidle along the wall to get through. This leads us to a room with two Ghouls, which is not very important, so we ditch them and head south.

Three exits here. First let's go west.

This shortcut just leads us back to where we first met the Bandit enemies.

So let's just go through the right door and-

Magic Flute

: You must make use of it... the power of Vampires, Dark Magic... Sleeping is Healing Magic that uses a coffin. Sleeping in a coffin allows you to recover energy without relying on the Sun. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

Huh. While there's tomato juice in that chest, we can't get through here, so the south exit it is!

More bees, complicated by two Bandits. Still, you've got room to manuever, so just trick the dogs and dash past or abuse your stagger effect and stunlock them.

Heading northeast...

This room has a beehive too, but the hall is so short you can just run through no problem. If you want to sneak, you'll have to switch walls halfway through.

This leads back to where that MYSTERIOUS VOICE was talking to us.

Heading North takes us to a room with two ghouls and a bunch of bats. Nothing interesting, so we just head west from there.

After that, we come to a crossroads. We could head north, but...

...It's a dead end.

So anyway, we just have to take the west path and-

Hm. Well, let's head through that south door instead of following the cat.

Darn. There's no way across. Oh well, maybe later.

Outside is the box from when we first saw the Poison Bees. Smashing it and shoving the iron box behind it into the hole creates a shortcut, so let's just go west.

Two doors here, so lets take the first one.

Oh, its back.

Magic Flute

: You must make use of it... the power of Vampires, Dark Magic... CHANGE BAT is Change Magic that enables you to transform into a bat. When you become a bat, you'll be able to use ultrasonic waves to see things you can't usually see. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

: Dammit the creepy voice is following me.

Huh. Meat, Tomato Juice, and Sunblock. Nice haul.

: Thanks, creepy voice!

Heading through the second door...

Again?

Magic Flute

: You must make use of it... the power of Vampires, Dark Magic... CHANGE MOUSE is Change Magic that enables you to transform into a mouse. Then you'll be able to get through small holes that you usually can't pass through. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

Okay we get it. Use our new evil magic.

That switch unlocks the gate, so let's just head upstairs.

Green slimes poison on contact. Don't touch. They still split into two and chase you after some damage.

We'll have to come back to this door.

Heading south...

Oh for gods sake.

Magic Flute

: You must make use of it... the power of Vampires, Dark Magic... CHANGE WOLF is Change Magic that enables you to transform into a wolf. With CHANGE WOLF, you can steal life energy from enemies by biting them. But you have to bite them behind or else it won't work, so keep that in mind. Hit the L Button repeatedly while biting and you'll steal more life energy. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

Little late, but here's the explananation for Change Wolf. It works directly off your attack without taking your weapon into account. The damage pierces defence, and can be repeated up to five times before you break off. However, it only works on humanoids. (Including things that don't have blood, strangely.)

The south exit just has a chest with a tomato juice in it. So let's go upstairs.

this room has three exits, but the north one is locked by a gate. So let's check the south!

It's a Tonniar Room! Which is basically a Solar Clog that always lands on rain! And given Black Django's weaknesses, this is even more useless than it first appears!

Like so!

Welp, let's just fly through that window and-

STOP IT

Magic Flute

: You must make use of it... the power of Vampires, Dark Magic... CHANGE BAT is Change Magic that enables you to transform into a bat. As a bat, you'll be able to get through small, usually impassable windows. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

: THANK YOU I WAS JUST ABOUT TO DO THAT.

Apparently either this place is packed together really tight or Django is such a terrible vampire that he can't get more than three feet off the ground. He can't even get past those signs. Anyway, we'll just head through the window there...

Bats don't make noise, so these mummies can only discover us if we crash into them.

Panel: Control the weight! The Weight Elevator will take things to different places according to weight. Light things will go up floors, while heavy things go down.

Weight elevators only have three settings, irrespective of relative position

Bat=lightest.
Mouse=medium.
Django=heavy

We need to be in mouse form to move on, but the ground floor has a Solar Station, if we need it.

Down there is Part A of the map.

Heading through that mouse hole

Ghouls and slimes, no problem. Even has a chest with tomatio juice if you get hurt.

Through the door...

We shove this off, and now we have to take the weight elevator to the ground floor.

Now we can move on without having to do all that fumbling with windows.

And the first thing we do in this new area? Why, solve a BLOCK PUZZLE of course!

Got it all worked out?

Puzzle solution here.

And Our prize is?

The Weapon Guard! With this on, our forged weapons will not degrade, allowing us to use our +7 sword of vampire kiliing without any fear of breakage!

OH COME ON.

Magic Flute

: Vampires are vulnerable to water and the Sun's rays. Even puddles can harm you, so you can't let your guard down for even a second... You must make use of it... The power of Vampires, Dark Magic... CHANGE BAT is Change Magic that enables you to transform into a bat. As a bat, you'll be able to fly around obstacles that are usually impassable. You must embrace it, Dark Magic...

: I seriously can't step over a puddle? I'm wearing boots for crying out loud!

Welp. Gotta turn into a bat, or you just take ten damage and get nowhere trying to just run through.

That alley just leads to a dead end , so in the door we go.

A KEY! And like 4 mummies. Bat form makes this a cakewalk.

Now we can access the right side of this building from way earlier, back when we were told about CHANGE MOUSE.

Through that wooden door is another box we have to push off. We can go upstairs, but all that's up there is a tomato juice, skylight, and two mummies. So let's just go down.

Panel: Watch your step!! If you step on the Sound Floor, it'll make a loud noise. This noise will give away your position and attract enemy monsters, so look out!

Yeah...The sound floors are kind of buggy, hitbox wise, as the corners don't actually make noise if you step on them.

:siren: OH poo poo :siren:

Say hello to the Crimson Ghoul, Bok+! Crimson monsters are extremely powerful versions of regular enemies. They are twice as fast as normal enemies of that type and have immensely jacked up stats. Right now, I can't deal more than 1 damage a hit to this guy. However, they also carry rare items, either dropping a high level weapon (in this Ghoul+'s case, a Bastard Sword) or a Tarot Card (The Lovers), and give out tons of experience.

This one dies after about ten minutes of Change Wolf Health draining (pierces defense)

It took me from max health to this in two hits. Keep in mind, this is the weakest variety of crimson monster. Later ones can be almost bosses in their own right.

Moving on...

Now we have access to the next section. Heading straight north is just another dead end, so we'll just duck into the alley to the northwest.

This first door just leads to a dead end for now, so lets take the second one!

Pushing that block there isn't required, but it is a shortcut.

Here, we have a block puzzle combined with a weight elevator. Two blocks are on the middle level, while the remaining block is on top, with the way we want to go on the bottom.

you can prepare by shoving this block into a corner first, though that wastes energy. Past it is an invisible tomato juice.

First thing we do is to shove this block here.

Then shove the other block off it.

Then go down here and shove this block into the hole. (you can't push stacked blocks, so this is important to remember)

Then push the top block off, and repeat the process.

And we're through!

ATTACK!

This room is a battle with four Mummies. Defeating them grants us a Flail, the next step up in Hammers.

Welp, with that done, let's fly through this here window.

we came from the top window, and we want to head through that window on the west side.

While Crimson are especially rare, taking them on at this point is a fruitless endeavour due to how weak you are. If you see one, just run away.

Through that door is another block we need to push, and this area leads us back to where the MYSTERY VOICE warned us about puddles.

Now we just need to head back the way we came and-

...Wow. Uh. That was Black Django's Berserk Attack.

Basically, after you've killed enough enemies, Black Django will make a little noise of pain. Once he's done that, if he gets hit, he'll freak the gently caress out and do what you see above, damaging everything onscreen and piercing defense and height restrictions. The problem here is that he loses half of his current health to power the attack. This basically makes the Berserk Attack worse than useless, as it tends to activate and do nothing, or actively make everything worse by draining health when you really needed it.

Anyway, we'll just go back and take the window we didn't go through.

This other gate leads back to where the MYSTERY VOICE told us how to fly through windows.

Heading back to the first puddle we ever saw...we head north over the new pathway.

In that chest is a key.

but you have to fly over the switch, or a jet of flame shoots out and blocks passage, forcing you to leave and come back.

The key goes to the dead end I talked about right before the weight elevator/block puzzle!

If we had the fire element, we could light these candles.

At least bat form can just fly over these pits instead of having to sidle around and risk falling off.

Panel: The phantom-type Ghosts have no sight or hearing, sensing where an enemy is by movements in the air. And although they're visible in the dark, they disappear in the light from skylights or candle stands, so remember that.

GOASTS! They suck your energey away but can be knocked off by mashing buttons. They also hunt you down even more effectively than the Bandits. There is no hiding from Ghosts.

Also, if you enter a room with sunlight on, the ghosts are invisible. If you turn it on halfway through, they are visible for a bit before disappearing.

If they are attached to you, you can just march into a skylight and knock them off that way. They will continually try to reattach despite the danger until they explode, releasing Solar bugs. Different ghosts release bugs that heal different amounts.

Now we fly out the window and head south.

down here are the two windows we need to go in. There's another entrance for the east building, but it just connects to this bottom one.

Here be a Key and tomato juice. This room is filled with mummies, along with the two other rooms connected to it. Kill them if you want, but its easier to just grab the goods and go.

Now we need to head through that other window.

More ghosts in here, along with a magic potion if you're running low. Otherwise, rush down the stairs to save energy, or kill the ghosts if you're out.

down here is another door leading to a block to push, and the elevator there takes us back to the beginning of this section.

After the block is Another fire trap you have to pass with bat form. Down that east path is an invisible chest containing sunblock.

After flying over this puddle, this section is finally over!

This warp square takes us back to that room right after the entrance, so we can finally go stock up if we want. Another locked door confronts us, so we have to go up the elevator.

Anyway this-

Wind Warrior

What the hell, man!

: So it is an Immortal that is behind that Darkness Tree. I am Cheyenne, Guard of San Miguel and the Wind Warrior of the four Sun Warrior classes. Even if I'm the last one left, I will not let you Immortals do as you please! Creatures of the night that sully the pure Sun... with my sword I will send you back to the Darkness!

: WHY DO I EVEN OPEN MY MOUTH.

VS CHEYENNE(Fisting Version)

Cheyenne

The Wind Warrior, Cheyenne, can be a dangerous , but he's kind of easy. First, being Sol element, he has a crippling weakness to the Dark Element. However, he is constantly on the move, so if you're lacking in speed he can run circles around you.

His first attack is the axe toss, where he throws two axes with really strange homing abilities. They can be knocked out of the air and will be blocked by walls , but can hit you from some seriously odd angles. They do a fair bit of damage, too.

However, he does have to stop to pull out new ones after he throws them, so he's vulnerable to attack for a bit afterwards.

His next attack, the Axe Slash, does a lot more damage than the toss, and has the same tell as the axe toss, the caveat being that he only uses this at close range.

He can also block frontal attacks, unless he doesn't have axes.

However, he's got one more trick. After losing about a third of his health. He'll dig into his pockets...

-and produce a Speed Nut, doubling his movement and attack speeds. It lasts about twenty seconds, but you can attack him while he's rummaging through his pants and force him to drop the item, allowing you to pick it up. he can pull out two other items, a hunk of Meat to restore his health, and a Blueshroom to turn invisible.

Like so. Kind of useless since you can still see his shadow, but at least he tried. However, it does cloak his throwing axes, so that can be dangerous.

His final attack is the Axe Cyclone, a tornado swing that does little damage but has crazy reach. He usually busts this out to interrupt your attacks or if you hit him a few times while he's blocking.

However, it also has a chance to make him dizzy for a few moments.

Note, that Axe? It's coming towards me, but Cheyenne is still standing where he first threw it.

Still, as long as you either damage race him, or get used to how his throwing axes work, Cheyenne will be a breeze.

Wind Warrior

: You've turned into a Vampire... ...But I was certain I would see you again...! Do you remember me? That day, thanks to the sacrifice your Father, Red Ringo, made, we managed to escape from San Miguel. But the Count had a trap in store for us... And we all paid dearly at the hands of the Vampires. Smith lost an eye, I lost my dear brothers, and you... You lost your mother, Mani. But despite that, you didn't give up. With the Crimson Scarf as a memento of your Father, you set off on your travels to the City of Death, Istrakan... And now, even though you have dark blood invading your body, I see no despair in your eyes. Your Sun... hasn't set yet!!

: Oh thanks. Good of you to see that after you tried to kill me.

: We Guards have been defending the City of the Sun since the days of old. But in this period of Darkness... What could the legendary Wedge Seal have been locking away? It has all been lost in time. Just like people have forgotten the Sun... And now the powers of Darkness have come back to life. Two seals are already broken... one at the Cathedral and one at the Remains in the desert. Go take a look at that.

Music fades into silence

(Imagine a slow pan here.)

: This city is being swallowed up by the Darkness humans have created themselves. What exactly have we Guards been protecting all these years...?

Why would you put a seal in a place called Dark City?

Rain

: [i] Darkness Tree... In fact I don't think there's anything more I can do here... I'm going to return to the City of the Sun and set up a shop. I'll sell weapons opposite Smith's place. Maybe that way I'll be able to help you some. And we must continue to find out more about the Wedge Seal. Django, it's up to you to save this City of Darkness! You possess the ability to defeat the Darkness Tree... and the Darkness within you. Take this! It's the key to the door on the first floor.

Alright!

: [i]I believe in you, Solar Boy Django!

: Yeah, after I beat you up.

Somehow, I expected the Wind Warrior to be a bit faster on his feet.

Oh well. This marks the halfway section of Dark City, so we'll stop here.

Next time: We meet the Solar...Girl?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos:

Emblem Block Puzzle Solution

VS Cheyenne

Punching Indians

Vampire Showers

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 9, 2014

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Man, I loved this game way back when, along with its prequel. I ended up using the original cartridge in a high school science project to measure UV rays in various conditions like clear skies, windows, shade, overcast, and so on.

My teacher thought it was neat enough to send me to a regional science fair. Unfortunately, my score was mediocre as I had no real-world method of translating the UV bars to real-world measures.

Holy poo poo I was a total nerd.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing you finish this LP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crimsons aren't a threat. Just clear out the rest of the room, walk up to them with sword or spear and stunlock them to a very slow death. Also, Coffin Monster Elefan can get over those puddles and you don't get hurt in rain while inside it. It is the best :3:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, Black Django pretty much trivialize vast chunks of the game, considering he has access to unlimited energy through sleeping and unlimited life through wolfing down monsters, while Red Django can have a harder time getting back either without consumables. That and the fact attacks are more easily dodged in this game than in the first. I liked both, even if they had the shittiest french translation you could ever think up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Well, Black Django pretty much trivialize vast chunks of the game, considering he has access to unlimited energy through sleeping and unlimited life through wolfing down monsters, while Red Django can have a harder time getting back either without consumables. That and the fact attacks are more easily dodged in this game than in the first. I liked both, even if they had the shittiest french translation you could ever think up.

Django is able to replenish himself easily as a vampire, but I'd like to think it's balanced out by sunlight burning you in that form. Everything is give and take!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iceclaw posted:

Well, Black Django kind of needs both sleeping and a life draining attack, considering that one of his attacks comes out randomly and eats half your health and normal solar charging can easily kill you. That, and Red Django can hit elemental weaknesses and not have to deal with stun slowing down his attacks, so in a lot of places he's actually much better at killing things than Black Django is.

Y'also have to keep in mind that if you aren't playing in a place with regular sun, ingame rainstorms become much more dangerous for Black Django.

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 12, 2013

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #12: Red Sun

Darkness Tree

Last time, we beat Cheyenne. This time, we continue.

Heading through the door and up the stairs behind it...

Here is the other half of the map, accompanied by mummies and Ghosts. Not too big a deal, unless you're worried about the ghosts sucking up your energy.

There's an invisible chest with tomato juice up in the corner.

Fun fact: Bat form makes mimic chests glow teal. Neat, but still doesn't replace the fact that you can just lance them to check safely.

A hall with sunblock at the end and a set of stairs.

Hey, we're on the roof now!

Oh.

One hard to show in screenshot form maze later...

Let's get inside.

Tomato juice in that chest over there., if these Ghouls really wreck you.

Going downstairs...

Mummies. Also a magic potion up in the corner.

Heading east...

Some Solar Bamboo and a Solar Station? I smell a boss fight!

Taking the elevator...

Magic Flute

Hm. Why'd they put that stuff two rooms back instead of one? Oh well, it's probably not important....

Hang on...

...Huh. How odd.

Oh well, we'll just get in there and-

Oh good. I was HOPING you'd show up.

: You've finally made it all the way here. Enjoying the power of Darkness? You're half Vampire now, so you haven't mastered the power of Darkness yet... But you've probably realized how marvelous it is, right? The very fact that you made it this far is testament to that power. Ha, ha, ha...!! I haven't introduced myself. I am the true Dark Child, Black Dainn. Django, you're one of us now. Only the Immortals can truly save this world now. Together, we must release this world from the hand of the unforgiven. That would make your Father, the Vampire Ringo, so proud.

: ...Why are we not hurting him yet?

: Hey! How dare you go dropping my name in like that!

: Oh no way!

Red Ringo

: You got your memory back?!

: Django, thank goodness you're safe... Your blood... The blood of Mani within you is what woke me. Now there's no time to lose! This is our chance! While I'm subduing him, you must destroy the Darkness Tree!

Already planning on that, hoss! But thanks!

: That fool Count...What a useless Vampire he's created...

Yeah, keep complaining. I'm just gonna be over here ruining all your plans.

Bye!

Three Sisters

Durathror!

I'm so going to kill the hell out of you.

: White Sister is defeated, and Blue Sister will not awaken. We cannot let you continue your games any further. We must swiftly get rid of harmful pests.

Oh, now I'm definitely going to kill the hell out of you.

: It took root in me, and started to sprout. And on the day of the Undeadening... I woke up to my true self. Dark Brother called to me! I'm not alone anymore! I'm needed! I'm allowed to stay here! I am the Red Durathror! I am the Earth-ruling Immortal!

A sad story, but that doesn't excuse your actions.

Gah!

: But your light was too strong. And that troubles Dark Brother... You don't need light anymore, right? I'll take you... to a world with no light... to a world where the Sun doesn't rise!

You need to be pruned, big time.

VS RED DURATHROR

(Bare Handed Plant Uprooting Here)

Earth-ruling Durathror

Durathror is kind of unique in that she is actually SOL elemental. Not Darkness Element, as an Immortal should be, but SOL. While strange, this is good for us, however, because that means Dark Enchantment does loads of damage to her.

First form, she appears as a bulb, and starts shooting a spiralling barrage of thorns. Those Darkness Roots work just like normal, so be careful if one pops up next to her when you get in close. They can also be destroyed with the dark element.

After a little while, she'll burrow into the ground and emerge elsewhere, reshuffling the arrangement of Darkness Roots and reviving any that have died.

You can speed the fight up immensely with Dark Enchantment attacks, but you want to conserve energy for later.

Now, once she loses a third of her health, Durathror will move into her second phase. This is where you want to use your conserved energy, as it is almost impossible without a certain spell.

Five bulbs will erupt from the ground, and Durathror is in one of them. Attacking the wrong bulb will cause it to flower and release a Poison Bee. While they aren't that dangerous, they can be a critical distraction when you just want to get the over with. So what do you do?

Transform into a bat! Doing so will cause a flickery blue outline of Durathror to appear on one of the bulbs. So then just transform back and go to town.

Three hits will cause any bulb to open, and once you've found her you'll only get three hits on her before she'll disappear and restart the pattern. The bulb she'll appear in is random, so the energy to use bat form is absolutely required for this fight not to take a million years.

But once you drop another third of her health, you want to use any leftover energy for Dark Enchantment.

The flower she's hiding in will explode into a storm of red petals, leaving behind...

A plant ballerina. Okay, sure.

She'll burrow into the ground, and then leap out to a random location, alternating between two different attacks.

Her first move is to create GIANT THORN SPIKES from the ground beneath your feet. These hurt like hell, and track your position. However, if you keep dodging, she'll start to lead the spikes, so you can run into these things if you aren't careful.

While she is vulnerable during the attack, it's not a wise move to attack her, as the spikes will definitely hit you if you stop moving. Now while she'll only take three hits before immediately running away, making it so that if you were fast enough you could potentially interrupt her attack and speed up the fight, it's still not worth it.

Her other attack involves her jumping to random locations and causing an earthquake as she lands, making a rain of green spike balls descend from the ceiling before jumping again and repeating the pattern (up to three times, then she switches back to the GIANT PLANT SPIKES). The spike balls cast shadows, but they fall pretty fast and do some decent damage (though not as much as the GIANT PLANT SPIKES). She's fairly vulnerable during it, so try to get some hits on her as long as the spike balls don't fall on you.

This part of the fight is where you want to use the rest of your energy on Dark Enchantment, as her defence skyrockets at this point, along with her weakness to Dark. All of her attacks do a lot of damage, so it's best to end the fight quickly rather than play it safe and drag it out.

Of course, that doesn't mean 'throw caution to the wind and do dumb stuff like this'.

Just keep at it, and eventually...

...You'll cut down the Darkness Tree.

: You must purify the Darkness Tree...

Sure thing, daddyo! But first!

We go through here! This barrier was indestructible during the fight.

No cutscene or music, but in that green chest is the Chariot, a tarot card that increases agility by 1.

Now lets go.

They're gone! Oh well. Just means fewer obstacles for us!

Backstreets

Welp, with the stairs busted, we gotta go south.

Hey, you remember that weight puzzle from the cathedral? We're bringing those back.

You don't have to push the block onto the switch. You just have to push it up one square and then drag the coffin out.

...Or you can do that by accident.

Anyway, heading south...

Helpfully, if the coffin gets kicked somewhere you can't get to it, it'll appear in the next room. (This is only if the previous room's puzzle is solved. otherwise coffins put you back a room.)

First things first, put the coffin on the switch. Be careful it doesn't wander off as you cross the bridge.

Then push this block in, grab the coffin, and head south.

You just slide across that ledge...

And shove this in here.

Drag the coffin here to activate the bridge below.

Then you shove this in here.

Then you just double back to push the other block over-

here...

(one 'reset to get Elefan back onto the switch and finish the puzzle before it wanders off the switch' later)

Puzzle Solved! We go upstairs only to immediately turn around and head out the south exit...

Bandits in here, along with a visible tomato juice and an invisible sunblock at the south end.

Hm?

Oh come on! The panel even has the same Property Cube explanation the one back in the Remains did! This is such a tease!

Oh well, moving on since we can't do anything.

Hey, that looks like a Warp Square, except gold and sparkly.

Panel: About the Solar Barrier: The Solar Barrier has the power to bind Darkness. If you put a coffin on top of the barrier, it won't be able to get away.

Woo! This is useful for any coffin not named Elefan, as it allows you to scout out the next areas in peace without worrying about the coffin trying to run away!

(Also, there's a super secret treasure in this room! Can you find it?)

This room lights up if sun is hitting the sensor, and it has two exits. The south door leads outside, to-

Some Jerky, and random assortment of Solar Crystals. This also counts as an outdoor area, so it is useful if you're running low on energy/health.

Heading back inside, we take the west staircase next to the south door.

Some Sound Floors and a couple Ghouls. Oh noooooo-

-OOOOOOHHHH.

Thankfully, Crimson are still dumb as hell. And Elefan is the best, as it reverses the tendency for coffins to try to pull back to the boss arena. Instead, it heads for the Pile Driver while we dodge around puddles.

Heading up the stairs on the south side...

...Leads us back to this room at the start! Striking the switch turns on this platform, which doesn't activate until both you and the coffin are squarely on it. It also calms the coffin so it can't freak out and kick you into the abyss, which Elefan seems to do much more often than other coffins.

And that's the end of anything new.

Now instead of slimes, its' mummies.

Still easy to deal with though.

God Black Django makes it hilariously easy to cheese stuff.

Now lets get this over with.

Readying Piledriver

Oh hey Sunflower.

: Eh, is that....the Darkness Tree Immortal? You certainly got the hang of that power o' Darkness business, didn't yer...? But yer not thinkin' o' usin' the Pile Driver like that, are yer, Django? It's true that San Miguel's doomed if the Darkness Tree ain't purified. But you ain't forgotten what happened to Sabata, right? Yer still gonna do it?!

: Ye-no! Not doing anything like that! Nope, not me!

: ...Didya really think yer could pull a fast one by me? Honestly, you two brothers are pretty sneaky, ain't yer? Still, that's what I like about you two. Awright, I won't stop yer. I'm watchin' over all yer battles. Give it all yer got!

And if we picked the other option...

: Hecks yeah! I'm gonna be just like Sabata!

: ...You two brothers are mental, I swear. Stark ravin' bonkers... Still, that's what I like about you two. Awright, I won't stop yer. I'm watchin' over all yer battles. Give it all yer got!

Fade out...

Also, This is where Elefan will, if left on its own, end up if you wait long enough.

So now that we're here, lets do some stuff.

First, let's talk to Zazie.

: In the dark night sky is a mirror reflecting the Sun, the Moon...Sunlight and Darkness, and the four elements of fire, water, wind and earth....The Moon Kindred, Lunar Children, had the ability to understand their power. The Lunar Maiden, Moon Beauty, was able to make use o' this power. Mani was the last of those who remained... And then there was Red Ringo, said to be the strongest Vampire Hunter. With the Solar Gun, a Magic Machine handed down from the Solar Children, he's the one that succeeded in defeating the King o' the Immortals... And it's their blood and soul that's been passed down to you two, see.

Wait, I thought Smith made the Solar Gun? Y'know, since he's the 'Gun Master' and all.

: You brothers have inherited the blood o' the Sun and the Moon. But that don't mean your powers are the same. You've got more o' the Sun in yer, and Sabata's got more o' the Moon in him. So when it comes to Darkness, you didn't have the same degree of resistance as he did. And now that you're bein' invaded by that Vampire blood, you don't have resistance to the Sun's rays either. So yer really gotta watch it now, awright?

...Pretty sure I burn up just as fast as Sabata does, so I don't see what you're getting at.

Hey! It's that guy! Who tried to kill us!

: Ah, you're back safe, Django. Well, the shop's all ready. I don't have much stock yet, but Smith and I plan to work together and gather new weapons as well. Use them to win your battles!

Speaking of Smith...

: So you had a fight with Cheyenne...? He's got a pure heart, so he tends to act impulsively. He probably just saw you and challenged you to a fight, no questions asked, right? But you can't blame him. He lost three brothers at the hand of a Vampire... Anyhow, I'm just glad you're both safe.

Welp, that's enough stalling. let's do this.

Still don't see how this works.

But here we go!

Alright, now its a race against time to-

Well...that was quick...

Okay, hands up, who expected this?

Fade out...

Moon Beauty

Mani: Django...You must wake up. You still have work to do. There is something that only you can do. There are people who need your help. Can you not hear their voices?

: Oy, Django! Get up, will yer?!

: Django!!

: Wakey wakey!

: Come on, boy!

: Django!!

: Please, Master Django!

: Yeah!

: drat it!

: Django, you mustn't give in to the power of Darkness. Surely you haven't forgotten the battle with the Queen? It's just like you taught me, remember? The power to escape death... The will to live... That and only that, is...

: our...

We now regain control, but Solar charging is the only thing we can do.

...But really, it's all the Solar Boy needs!

: SUN!

Game: You learned the Moonlight Magic, Transform!! Transform is Change Magic that allows you to switch between using each power. This means you can use the power of Solar Boy when you're Red Django, and the power of a Vampire when you're Black Django.

Alright! Now nothing can stop us!

Game: You learned the Moonlight Magic, Rising Sun!! Rising Sun is Summoning Magic that calls forth the Sun Piece. When you use Rising Sun, you'll be able to bathe in the Sun's rays for a while.

And now we don't even need a UV lamp! Now even less can stop us!

Hey, we're Red Django again! Just in time, too!

PURIFYING RED DURATHROR

Battle Drive

Durathror attacks with the thorn shot from the previous battle with her, specifically from her first phase. It's not powerful, but its hard to dodge, as it fires in all directions.

And...really, that's it. You can spice up the fight by doing it as Black Django, but honestly, this is easy.

Struggle time has her shooting the thorns much more quickly, but she's still no problem.

: In my world, there was no light...With no light in the world, I just wanted to die... Dark Brother... I tried my hardest... My life had... meaning... didn't it? Aah, it's so warm... So this is... the Sun...

And now the Darkness Tree is no more.

Rainbow

: You really had me worried there!!

: Well, this town would just be dull without ya.

Ya drat right Kid. :smuggo:

: I had faith in you, Solar Boy Django!!

: sniff... ...I'm sorry.

Oh Lita. :allears:

: Phew, glad that's over.

Fade out...

And we are prompted to save.

Sunlight

: the city can finally start to recover from the ravages of the Undeadening. Look! The seedlings of the Solar Tree have grown so much...

Well, I guess proportionately, they have...

: The Solar Tree's happy, too!

Game: The Earth blesses you!

Game: You learned the Sun Magic, Healing! Healing is magic that lets you revitalize any plant before you. Its power of recovery depends on the level of the Solar Gauge.

This is basically just to open up certain areas., and it doesn't have any combat applications.

: It's small right now... but as long as we have this new Solar Tree, the Sun, and the Earth... As long as we don't forget their blessings... we should all be able to go on living together. Even if the world faces the Doomsday Reincarnation...

Fade out...

Sunlight

: Have you found out where that Vampire is?

: Master Otenko and Ringo are still covered by that dark cloud... Me star readin's no use as usual. You're all doin' yer best even while recuperatin' but I can't do nothin'. To think I didn't realize that Vampire was Ringo... I'm not worthy of bein' the old hag...

Aw man... Zazie... :smith:

: Save your regrets for later. You think there's nothing you can do? Don't be ridiculous! What about the barrier you set up here at Sun Avenue? Without that, this city would've been taken over by enemies ages ago. It must take a huge amount of energy to maintain that barrier. Who else but you could provide that amount of energy? Who else besides the legendary Witch's Apprentice, eh?

Mysterious loner giving the quirky witch a pep talk? When does this happen?

: Yer mean... only I can do it?

: The Sun Avenue barrier... That's me job -- To protect that, and the city folk... and the young Solar Tree. And I'm the only one who can do it! Even if it's rainin' cat 'n' dogs, a sunflower holds its head up high! And to think it was me who told Django that... This is no time to be down!

That's the way, Zazie!

: Oh goodness... You do not have what it takes to live up to the name Sunflower Girl.

Oh Sabata you card.

: Hrmph! Don't call me by the old hag's name! I got my own name, and it's Zazie! I can't do everything the old hag could, but I'm doin' me best, so it's fine!

Now there's the Zazie we know and tolerate!

: Haa...Haa, haa, haa, haa, haa!!

: Nya ha ha!

: Hey, Sunflower! I can see your tonsils!

Wait, what?

: Huh?!

Um...

....What was that about?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:siren:IT'S VOTING TIME!:siren:

We have three places to go next update, the Aqueduct, the Treasury, and The House of Time.

Which do we tackle first?

---------------------------------------------------------

Videos:

The Rooftop Maze

Vs Red Durathror

Purification

You can't refuse to Solar Charge! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Cutscene of Healing

PUNCH THAT PLANT

Betrayal!

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 9, 2014

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
I vote The Treasury. Because obviously that place will have sweet loot of some manner and sweet loot is always good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, it's a freeform form change? drat, that means there are going to be bat and mouse moments scattered all throughout later dungeons and you'll have to spend time doing double form changes if you ever run around as Red Django.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only downside is that the transform spell has to be manually equipped from a spell slot.

But, now, we can choose to be empowered by the sun or by the darkness, we can recharge in our coffin when we're nowhere near the sun, or turn back to human to munch on some fruit. It's win/win now!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And thanks to the power of Rising Sun - which Black Django can still use, oddly enough - only Pile Driving and one story-specific thing later on requires real sunlight. The game is now broken in two.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Not even real sunlight, because rainclogs can be obtained of a certain lategame dungeon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

True, and that deals with the Pile Driver (although it does make it take a while if you have no other sunlight). But the one other instance where you need sunlight is set up so that nothing else will do.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

True, and that deals with the Pile Driver (although it does make it take a while if you have no other sunlight). But the one other instance where you need sunlight is set up so that nothing else will do.

The very end? Nope, a rainclog works as well, I know it because I beat the game at night for the first time using a rainclog.

e: V I don't remember this part, so well, I'll guess I will see then.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 20, 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spiral Tower.

EDIT: Oh right, voting. I remember the Treasury as being pretty painful, so I'd be interested to see how you get through it.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2013

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Speedball posted:

The only downside is that the transform spell has to be manually equipped from a spell slot.

But, now, we can choose to be empowered by the sun or by the darkness, we can recharge in our coffin when we're nowhere near the sun, or turn back to human to munch on some fruit. It's win/win now!

Yeah, Django's got the best of both worlds from here on in. Good since the vampires themselves have somehow learned to harness the power of the Sun so all of these new tricks will be needed. That's why you shouldn't think about either mode as better given that they cover for most of each other's weaknesses.

All he needs now is the Gun Del Sol and a certain chatty sunflower spirit and he'll be golden.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Uh, Treasury sounds good.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 20, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, regarding fruits, Tomato Juice is a far superior alternative anyway: It refills a lot and never rot. Really, Black Django's only drawback is being hurt by rain.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update#12.5: Hunt For Missing Treasure

Before we move on with our new tricks in tow, it's time to see a few things that I missed on the first pass.

First off, we need to head back to Dark City.

So, did you find the SUPER SECRET TREASURE in this room?

It's right here! With absolutely no indication other than if you came in as a bat!

But just what is the SUPER SECRET TREASURE?

It's a useful piece of equipment, with some special properties, that's what!

The Blood-Soaked Cape is light and pretty defensive (though not as defensive as the Weapon Guard). However, in addition to its visible stats, If we are in Black Django form, it grants us plus two to all stats. So in reality, it has 24 defence and a weight of 10.

However, there's a slight drawback here.

For as Red Django, it instead drops all our stats by two. And if we had max health or energy as Black Django, and then transform to Red Django and immediately back? That health/energy is gone, and we have to heal it back. Not really a dealbreaker, but annoying.

The other SUPER SECRET TREASURE we missed is back in the first section of the Remains.

Remember this place? It's back where we first met Kid, and it also hides a SUPER SECRET TREASURE! This one's both meaner and nicer than the Blood-Soaked Cape. It's a little nicer, in that you can at least realize that something's up if you look at the map. It's meaner because unless you immediately go for it the second you're able to, you're locked out until you purify Durathror.

But how do we get to it, you may ask? Must we also be in Bat Form to find it?

Thankfully, no.

We just have to blow it up first.

And look! It was a Secret Passage all along! And behind it lies...

Tada! Our Prize!

Honestly, the Ninja Gi isn't half bad for when you can get it. It gives you a fair amount of defense, and while it looks heavy, it actually gives you plus ten to agility, cancelling out most of the weight. Great for if you need to just run somewhere. Unfortunately, you can't use it to go beyond max agility, and later on that plus ten won't matter much.

That's all for now. But there are plenty more SUPER SECRET TREASURES to find, so don't think this is the end of them.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Okay! Treasury it is!

Prepare for BLOCK PUZZLES!

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 23, 2013

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #13: The Four Bit Treasury.

Last time, we revived the Solar Tree, and we were given the ability to freely transform between Black Django and Red Django.

This Time: Dungeon Diving With The Kid!

Sun Avenue 2

Welp. Let's hit up Lita first.

: Zazie called us. She told us to talk to you so the Darkness wouldn't take your soul... Could you hear our voices?

: Yeah. My brother's ghost took centre stage though.

: ...

: Do you know...? If you're poisoned or confused, you'll get better naturally in time. Other kinds of abnormal statuses like stomach aches will heal themselves too. But the Curse of Kaamos never goes away on its own. There are two ways to lift it. You can either bathe in plenty of sunlight, or use a Drop of Sun. When the Solar Tree fully matures, you could use morning dew as well...

It's nice the game keeps giving us tutorials even as we're already halfway through the game. :v:

Now for Kid (The Shopkeeper).

: But if your cash is still comin' my way for items, dude, I'm cool with that. We live in a craaazy world! We can't worry about all the little details, man. We just gotta chill.

Good to see Capitalism is alive and well after the apocalypse. :v:

: Hey, dude! Has it ever been Game Over for you? When you get beat in the middle of an adventure, part with some SOLL and pay to the order of Dark Loans, and you can continue from the start of the area you were beaten in.

Hooray for tutorials.

Zazie is back to napping in the Inn, so nothing new with her.

But now that Sabata's finally healed...there is something to see here.

This thing is next to his bed.

Game: It's Violet's doll. There's something written on the bottom of its foot. Angeletta...Could it be the doll's name?

I get the distinct feeling I'm missing something here. (Feel free to say what it is!)

Now for Cheyenne.

: Ah, looks like you're fine now, The Kid.

This is the only difference between talking to him at the first opportunity and holding off on talking to him until after you've been purified.

: The Kid, I've got something I want to give you. You should be able to master it, now that the Sun is back with you.

Oh boy, free stuff.

Oh hey, it's globules this time instead of sparklies.

Game: The wind blesses you!

Sweet!

Game: Dash is Acceleration Magic that lets you move at high speed. Your actual speed depends on the level of the Solar Gauge. Be careful though. While you're moving fast, any damage you take is doubled.

Dash is not as good as it sounds. It's basically a terrible version of Sabata's Zero Shift, in that it sends us a set distance forward and can't be cancelled. However, you take double damage when hit during it, and you need at least 5 bars of sun before it begins to outspeed your normal running.

Then again, 8 bars makes Dash kind of fun.

:siren:Incoming Plot Dump:siren:

: The Spiral Tower that stands on the Hill of Promises to the north if the city... I don't know what's in there, but the 4-Quarter Seal blocking the path... that used to be the purpose of the wedges. Four wedges complete the four quarters, sealing away four Immortals: The Black Dainn, the White Duneyrr, the Red Durathror, and the Blue Dvalinn... Of the four wedges, three have already been broken. The last one is in the depths of the Aqueduct in the southwest of the city. Fortunately a strong Tarot Seal holds the door to the Aqueduct tightly shut. The city's Guild Master set it up to protect the water supply from the Undeadening. Even an Immortal would have a lot of trouble breaking through it. Of all the Immortals that were released, you've already purified two. Just defeat the Black Dainn who's left, and you will preserve the 4-Quarter Seal. You must find Dainn, The Kid!

He sells terrible weapons, getting more as we progress farther through the plot. Mostly these are just useful fodder for SOLARSMITH forging.

: Hm. The weapons here are just run of the mill. If you want high quality weapons, try forging them at Smith's place. The quality could go up or down though, depending on how good you are.

He even gives us advice on how to make him pay us more money. :buddy:

: Hm. The price you'll get for weapons depends entirely on their quality. Any with SP will get you a nice tidy sum!

Now let's just talk to him.

: Do you remember Lady? Normally she works at the Library, but that's just a cover... Her real job is running the underground operations in town as the Guild Master. And she's the Card Master too. You know the seal on the Aqueduct door that operates by Magic Cards and Tarot? She was supposed to come back to San Miguel with Smith and me, but I haven't seen her since...

That certainly makes it sound like she's not going to run into us really soon. :v

: There are various ways to get yourself a weapon. The easiest is just to buy one at this shop, but sometimes monsters drop them as well.

You don't say.

And the Link Shop?

: With Link Shopping, you can use the Game Boy Advance(R) Game Link(R) cable to buy and sell weapons with your Solar Boy friends. The prices you pay and charge are entirely up to you. But remember, no matter how strong the weapon is, if it's higher than your current level, you won't be able to use it. Got it?

Basically, if you had a friend with this game, he could sell you superweapons on the cheap as soon as you met Cheyenne. It's as useless as it sounds.

Let's go see Smith.

: You had me worried there for a while... But I tell ya, I'm sure glad you're back as Solar Boy again. It's Ringo we've gotta worry about now, eh. Losing his memory and all when he became a Vampire... But why would the Count have done that to his arch rival? Maybe it signifies his love and hatred. Or maybe... Anyway, I'm still worried about what's happened to Otenko as well. We've toppled the Darkness Tree, but it's still no time to relax...

'Love and hatred'? Old man you are strange.

: The power of the Lunar Child blood running through your body is what brought back Ringo's memory. But that power was abused by the Immortals, and the Lunar Child disappeared from this world... The last remaining two, Mani and Hel... Two sides of the moon, Affection and Lunacy, each inherited separately... Two tragic sisters, split as friend and foe... Mani... please help guide Ringo!

Oh hey plot of the first game. Nice to see you weren't totally forgotten.

: Weapons have ranks according to their level. Weapons up to level 13 are C-rank, easy for beginners to use, but not much power. Weapons up to level 29 are B-rank. Special effects come into play at this rank. But giving a weapon a special effect is all down to your SOLARSMITH, see.

Yeah. If you're good at forging/lucky, you'll probably have special effects by around Dark City. If you're bad at it, it'll probably be after the next dungeon

And now for the Coffin Shopkeeper.

: You've come at a great time... I got my hand on a new coffin for ya! Be sure to take a look! It's a Coffin of Darkness. I got it off the black market. It's a bit hard to handle but if you master it, the results are spectacular!

Oh man why can't I shop at the black market if it gets you stuff like that.

Vampire Coffin: A Comfortable bed, but lowers Solar Pile Attack Power.

Iron Maiden: Raises Solar Pile Attack Power, but not such a great bed...

: Hmmmmm....

Let's go see Violet while we decide.

: Sabata found him for me, but he's hurt... Lita put a bandage on for me, so he'll be okay. He will, won't he?

: Sure he will! He's only used up like 3 of his nine lives!

: Sabata's much better now too...

Make that four lives.

And if we talk to her afterwards...

Uh, she doesn't seem too happy...

: Bad Nero!!

: Cheer up, he'll be fine. He's been fine all the other times he ran off, right?

: Um...I mean...uh...

: ...sniff...

Oh jeez. Let's go catch that thing before it gets itself killed!

Get back here!

City of Death

...Y'know what. That cat clearly wants to die. Who are we to oppose its death wish?

Instead, let's go this way.

Gotta loop around, killing a Green Slime on the way.

This looks interesting!

Solar Boy Django

...WELP guess we better turn back!

....NAH!

Just use Cloud Enchantment to shove it out of the way...

Well that's descriptive.

Ummm...

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here...

...Yeah.

So, the Treasury! It is a puzzle based dungeon, with absolutely no enemies. Don't worry though, its replaced them with puzzles that will leave you scratching your head at how you're supposed to do them, and then once you succeed, leaving you ashamed of your mental faculties!

Let's start with the Panel Room.

These are not weight switches, despite looking like them. These are activated/deactivated by pressing the A button on top of them. and they will activate/deactivate all the cardinal switches around them. (a cross formation.)

The panel on the far wall says:

Panel: Press the A Button above a panel to change its colour and the surrounding panels. Colour in all the panels red, but remember that you only have up to 2 tries.

Can you think of the solution?

Done?

Press this.

Then this. Easy right?

Let's move on. If you screw up, just leave and come back to reset the room.

Reading the panel here reveals that we only have 5 tries this time.

Figured it out?

This.

Then this.

Now this.

And done. Let's move on.

Only four tries for this room. Think hard on this one.

Here.

Now here.

Then here.

Done!

Five tries for this room. Think really hard on this one.

Touch this one and-

-Oh look its the puzzle from the room we were just in. How terribly difficult.

Hm. 8 tries this time.

and now its the second panel room again.

And got it!

Now for the prizes! Each puzzle section of the Treasury consists of five puzzle rooms, and then a pair of rare chests.

One contains equipment, in this case a sword. The Zweihander is a level 17 sword with 25 power. It's useful at this point if you are rubbish at Solar Forging or didn't get lucky with a Crimson Monster.

The other prize...

...is a photo. This one's of us, which begs the question of 'what the hell is it doing in here.'

: I hope they got my good side.

Welp. Let's do the next room. The Emblem Room.

VIDEOS AHOY

Emblem Room #1

Emblem Room #2

Emblem Room #3

Emblem Room #4

Emblem Room #5

And now our prizes are!

The Magic robe, a 26 Durability, 16 Weight Protector that has the added benefit of reducing Enchantment Magic energy consumption by 20% . Very useful when solving puzzles involving Enchantment Magic.

: Oh hey another picture of me.

Not you, the other Kid.

: We're both blonde, it's close enough.

Next Up, the Ice Rooms.

Ice Room #1

Ice Room #2

Ice Room #3

Ice Room #4

Ice Room #5

The Corcesca, a level 17, power 30 spear. Again, useful if you're rubbish at SOLARSMITH or need raw material for it.

: Who took these anyway?

Who knows.

Now for the final room. It's also the longest, because rocks take a really drat long time to move around when there's actual thinking involved.

Rock Room #1

Rock Room #2

Rock Room #3

Rock Room #4

Rock Room #5

The Axe. A level 17, power 35 hammer weapon. You know what these are good for now.

: Axing questions?

Welp, that's the Treasury. But we're not done quite yet. We need to revisit old ground one more time.

Cemetary

Back here in the Cathedral, this area was blocked off by Darkness roots. All they block off are three chests with Healer, Magic Potion, and Elixir in them, so I have no idea what the point was.

No, the real prize is at the entrance to the Cathedral itself.

See this lilypad, and how it is too small for us to pass without getting our feet wet?

: Says the guy with the luxury of more than one pair of socks.

....Well, now that we have healing magic, we can do something about that.

We just need to use Rising Sun, giving us four bars of sun for thirty seconds, in exchange for ALL OF OUR ENERGY. It requires a minimum of a hundred energy to use, but you can recharge that back in the time you've got the extra sun, so it's not so bad.

Anyway, now we just cast Healing on this plant!

Repeated applications are necessary if you do not have maximum sun, up to about five.

Tada! It is now passable! In that chest is an Earth Nut, if you're curious.

But the real prize here is in this direction!

This place has Poison Bees, but they are much less of a threat since they are leveled to the Cathedral instead of Dark City.

Just heal this,

and this,

and treasure is yours!

...Another Black Tarot card (The Magician)? Lame.

Maybe if we look elsewhere there's more treasure.

Hmmm...

Aha!

We have found the Fairy Robe! Durability 16, with a weight of 4, it doubles the effect of Spirit Bugs. This includes all three types, so be careful around Darkness Bugs with this on.

See you all next time, when we invade The House Of Time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for another :siren:VOTE.:siren:

Will we take the Iron Maiden, or the Vampire Coffin?

Iron Maiden Pros:
Chumps Immortals.
Looks Boss.

Cons:

Does not regenerate energy.
More Expensive

Vampire Coffin:

Pros: Incredible energy regeneration.
Looks cool.
Less Expensive
Cons:

Seriously weakens Pile Driver.
Sealed Immortals fight back more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos:

Dashin Around!

Emblem Room #1

Emblem Room #2

Emblem Room #3

Emblem Room #4

Emblem Room #5

Ice Room #1

Ice Room #2

Ice Room #3

Ice Room #4

Ice Room #5

Rock Room #1

Rock Room #2

Rock Room #3

Rock Room #4

Rock Room #5

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 9, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Is sticking with Elfan an option?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

Is sticking with Elefan an option?

Not right now, since the other coffins need to have a ghost of a chance. :v:

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 29, 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vampire coffin is the final piece of the "no challenge whatsoever even without sunlight" puzzle. Pop a Rising Sun with or without a Solar Clog's sun-up effect (which you can get an unlimited supply of by just going through Remains over and over), Solarforge something, recharge your energy in approximately no time at all with the Vampire coffin, leave the forge and come back in so you can use Rising Sun again, repeat until your weapon is arbitrarily powerful. If you run out of money for stuff, the Remains give loot worth a total of a few hundred Soll.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Iron Maiden.

....and then back to Elefan whenever that becomes okay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Iron Maiden. We may have been touched by the darkness, but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy using it.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Welp, Iron Maiden it is!

Update in a few days.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This series got referenced by a character in the Dangan Ronpa LP, so your viewership may go up a bit in the new future. I know that's how I wandered over and got caught up in a hurry.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

LivesInGrey posted:

This series got referenced by a character in the Dangan Ronpa LP, so your viewership may go up a bit in the new future. I know that's how I wandered over and got caught up in a hurry.

Oh. Uh...

...Thanks?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh god, does that mean we'll get the massive derails that the Dangan Ronpa thread has?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Since Slowbeef probably doesn't police this thread like a hawk as he does with that thread, there's a good chance it'll be worse.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Boktai rocks and it was fun catchin' up to this LP. I'm gonna give a drop down for the Iron Maiden, though Elefan is forever the best coffin in my book. It's totally loyal to the Solar Boy cause.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ReturnOfFable posted:

Oh god, does that mean we'll get the massive derails that the Dangan Ronpa thread has?

Doubtful, there isn't enough generic highschool anime in Boktai. Those people dry up and wither away if they are divorced from the nourishing sustenance of particularly obnoxious and hackneyed anime tropes.

And let's bring in the Iron Maiden because it's :black101:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Update #14: Little House on the Time Warp

Now for the final dungeon we can access and reasonably complete at this time!

The Present

Remember these? Now we can get past them!

and into the house we go!

???: This is the House of Time... a distorted time space where past and present collapse. If you don't watch your step, you could get lost in time...

Dark as heck in here, so just go north.

Welp. Time for Black The Kid to step up.

Panel: Destroy!! You can destroy a damaged wall like this with dynamite. A breakable wall makes a different sound than usual when you tap it. If you encounter any suspicious areas, tap the walls to check them out.

Nevermind.

Transforming back and blowing up the wall...

This chest? It's a faker.

Two ways to do this puzzle. Either use fire element and set the candle stand on fire, or have the mummies set each other on fire and run into the stand.

Lighting the stand resurrects this skeleton, so then you just kill the hell out of him to unlock the gate.

Free recharge, because you do need it in this place.

Welp, north wasn't the right way. Let's try east instead.

Hit this switch after killing all the Burnun...

and head through the now open gate.

Fight the mummies if you want, but just go north.

Panel: Transcend time. The time magic square is a warp, a door that connects the present and the past. Press the A Button above the magic square to travel through time.

Time travel? Sounds like a grand idea that will absolutely not cause problems!

The Past

...And here I thought sepia tone was a technical limitation in old photos.

At least it's not dark anymore.

The west door is unblocked now, but let's go east first.

Tada! We have the Redshroom! Which is basically a fifteen second mouse transformation for Red The Kid! Which means it is kind of useless!

On the other side of the wall is an invisible meat, accessible by going back through the mousehole.

Here's the Redshroom in action. Just like mouse form, you can't attack, and your tiny legs can't run so fast.

The map! And tomato juice!

Now we go back to the candle stand, then just go north and west...

and we're at the other switch. Take out the two golems and hit the switch, and you'll open the other gate.

On the other side, its...another tutorial?

Oh.

This is a puzzle, but it doesn't matter what you put in right now, because....

Panel: This code number is incorrect.

That's all you'll get. Perhaps it'll be broken open in the present?

Nope, but what's in that blocked off room?

How the hell did he get in there?

: Who?

...Just go blow up that wall and help him out.

: Kay.

Hi!

Item Shop Kid

: Hm? A boy? Who are you...?!

: Hmm... Solar Boy fighting the Forces of Darkness, eh...? My name is... ...oh, it's no good! I just can't remember a thing. Seems like I've gone and lost my memory somehow. What was I doing trapped between these walls in a room with no exit? How on earth did I manage to get in here in the first place?!

Good question! You'd have to slither in here like some kind of snake or something.

??? : You're right... What's the point in hanging around here? I'll go to Sun Avenue like you said. Hey, there's no need to worry. I have my own skills to get me through safely. Yeah, my own skills... Not that I can remember what they are. You take care, too, Solar Boy!

The Present

: Weirdo.

Welp, now that he's gone, transform into a mouse and head through that hole.

Up the stairs...

There are a bunch of ghosts here, but half the time they crash into the skylights, so they aren't a threat.

One ghost and a few mummies. No trouble.

Heading east...

Burnun. East is another code door.

South from the mummy room leads to

A bunch of bats.

Also a locked door.

Heading south from here...

We come across this piece of junk.

: ...Seems like it's broken...

Heading back to the room with all the burnun, we then move south.

Killing all the Bandits unlocks the south exit, which is where we need to go, as beyond it is a tiny room with a key in it. We need that key for the locked door from earlier.

Unlocking that door leads to-

Mummies and a Ghoul. Head south.

More mummies and ghosts, then we loop around the wall and go back north, then transform into a mouse and go through a tiny hole.

Hmm, what's this doing here?

Here we have a generous skylight to recharge/annoy Black The Kid...

and a Time Travel Square! Let's use that, then take the north exit.

Hit the A Button on this piece of wood.

And we make a bridge! Congrats on doing something smart for once, The Kid!

One quick mouse form later...

Machine: Please enter a four-digit code number.

and we can finally get past those code doors!

: Genius! No one will guess this!

We can't go through that north door, so we have to head back.

Either through the present...

Or back the way we came in the past.

Speaking of the past...

Here was a Crimson, but since there was a skylight, he was quickly disposed of. (When monsters wander into skylights, each bar of sunlight inflicts 10% of their maximum health in damage. So even Crimson can go down quick if you're lucky, but you won't get any exp for it. Items are fair game though.)

A See-All Nut, Tiptoe Nut, and Chocolate here, along with a hidden chest with a Solar Nut in it.

Now that we've set the code, we can now open all the passcode-locked doors. Also, to the south are ghouls now instead of Bandits. No extra treasure though.

Meat over in that chest.

And hey we're outside.

Heading east...

To the east is another Time Travel Square, but we should do some exploring first.

A choice. North...

Leads to BEEES. Also nothing else of interest.

West leads to...

A Speed Nut and some Meat after you heal another plant.

Now let's go back to the present.

The fork's still there, so let's go west this time.

Note: If you didn't heal the plant in the past, this plant will not be here.

That left chest is a fake, while the right one contains Tomato Juice.

Now to go north.

This looks like a choice, but it is not. Push any of the gravestones and you'll fall to the area below.

Ghost Boy: . Maybe you could help... You might be able to find my Pa for me. Please!! Bring my Pa back!!

: No way. You're a ghost.

Ghost Boy: Awww...! I'll give you a reward! Please!! Bring my Pa back!!

: OKAY FINE JEEZ.

Ghost Boy: Thank you!! Pa got taken away by these Ghosts. I don't know where they've taken him to, but... He's in the house somewhere. The key we used to use for the house is over there. You should take it with you. And remember that me, Pa, and the Ghosts are all in the present, okay? Make sure you don't get confused between the present and the past.

Ghost Boy: Pa should be in the house in the present... I wonder if he's okay...?

Ghost Boy: The Ghosts will probably try to get in your way. Better be really careful, all right?

We take the key in the chest beside him and leave.

This just leads back to the west area with the fake chest.

Now we get back on the weight elevator and ride it to the top.

Here's where we use our new key. Also a recharge if you're running low.

and here's where things get tricky. The gates here can only be unlocked after all the Ghosts in a given room are killed. Not all enemies, just the Ghosts.

Killing all the ghosts in this first room here unlocks the western gate.

Again, mummies are just a distraction from the real objective. Kill or ignore, its up to you.

Now it is dark. Sunlight will illuminate the room, but render the Ghosts invisible. However, See-All Nuts will reveal the Ghosts regardless of sunlight levels.

The final room is large, but it just has three Ghosts, so no threat there.

Killing them all unlocks the middle gate in the first room.

Hoo boy. This ghost, unlike the others, refuses to chase us. To make it worse, we can't hit it from here. So what do we do?

See these switches and that skylight to the south?

We have to move the skylight around using the switches to hit the ghost.

Note, ghosts are invisible in sunlight.

This is kind of annoying.

But once we defeat the ghost, the eastern and final gate opens.

Seems like a dead end...

But it is not!

However, one must be careful, as while no sunlight will send the solar panel back past the Solar Floor, it will also make said floor disappear. You need good timing to get past this puzzle.

Or things like this happen.

Heading South...

This room has bats. Lots of bats. Also a Solar Leaf, if you want.

Heading south...

OH poo poo, THEY'RE ARMED!

ATTACK!

Welp, say hello to both the Archer Skeleton and the Fencer Skeleton! These guys are actually dangerous!

That pose you see the fencer skeleton doing happens whenever he sees you in front of him, and signals that he's about to thrust towards you. It has great reach, so he can hit you even if you should be out of range. Otherwise, he'll just do a normal swing to attack you, like the normal Skeletons, but more damaging and with better reach.

While Archer Skeletons have vision just as bad as normal Skeletons, they pack a hell of a punch. The archer Skeletons also fire at you whenever they can see you, and they have great range on those arrows.

However, they also swing their bows at you if you try to engage them at melee range. This attack does massive damage if it connects, but also destroys their bows in the process, leaving them (much beefier) normal Skeletons.

Still, once one goes down, it gets a lot easier.

The Present

???: Oh yes... The Ghosts whisked me away...

???: Ah! What about my son...?!

Ghost Father: I nearly fell in with some evil spirits back there. I never thought I'd see my son again... But the whole thing was my fault... It was fair punishment for the things I did when I was alive.

Ghost Boy: And if the illness had spread, even more people would've gotten hurt. You didn't do anything wrong, Pa...

Ghost Father: it's not right to sacrifice others, even if you're doing it to help someone. And in the end, nothing I did saved your life... I will go to the World of the Dead and accept the judgement of the Queen. That is the only thing I can do to try to atone for my sins...

Ghost Boy: I'm coming with you! I can't let you suffer alone, Pa!

Ghost Father: Giorgio...

Ghost Boy: Thanks so much for saving Pa for me!

OH BOY ANOTHER KEY. JUST WHAT I WANTED FROM THE HOUSE OF TIME.

Now before we had back to town, let's check out the Ruins for something special.

Ruins

Now that we have cloud power, we can check out what's back here!

These are weight switches, and next to them is a locked gate.

The trick is to use the hints in the panels to colour the corresponding rows in correctly.

Or just guess.

What a great prize.

Puzzle #2 takes away a hint, forcing you to use logic to fill it in.

Or just guess again. Prize this time is a Solar Nut. Meh.

This time you're missing two hints.

Still easy to guess.

And hey, we're back on that ledge we couldn't get to on our first visit! Just slide on over to that chest...

And here's our legitimately good prize!

The Bearnut is great, as it grants you 15 seconds of complete invincibility. To everything, so the only way you can die is to chuck yourself down a pit. Great for taking on bosses or other powerful foes.

And since we're here, this is what happens when Chocolate's rot meter fills up. It melts, covering the item below. This basically combines the two, as all you have to do to access the item is to eat the chocolate covering it, healing you for the same amount non-melted chocolate does. It also stops the coated item from rotting, which is useful for high value healing items like meat and valuable stuff like Bearnuts.

Now to get back to town and hand over that key to Violet.

Sun Avenue 2

And now we have a full warehouse to use, with two boxes for every type of item.

Hey, it's that guy we rescued. Wonder if he does anything useful?

: How's it going'? Huh? Me? My memory's still not comin' back, but... Hey, what can you do? I'll be fine. I've even set up shop. I'm sellin' the weapons and items I've picked up for 200 SOLL a piece. I sell 'em in Blindboxes though, so ya can't see what you're buyin'. To be honest, I've yet to sell one... So how 'bout it? Ya wanna buy one?

Sure. Why not.

: Level 1 Blindboxes cost 200 SOLL each. Whaddya say?

: Wonder what it'll be?!

: Boy, don't forget to get yourself a Blindbox before you go, eh?

My thoughts exactly, The Kid.

Blindboxes are, as the title implies, completely random in their contents. They can range from useless items to random midrange weapons. Unfortunately, they are usually not worth the cost.

: Listen to this, boy...Some undead monsters, like Ghouls and Mummies, and some Phantom monsters, like Klorofolun and Ghosts, are weak to the Sun's rays. This means you can inflict damage on them with rays from Skylights. But you'll have to be careful in the night when there's no Sun because monsters that usually lurk indoors go on the prowl outdoors after dark.

...You don't say.

: By the way, boy, have you ever seen one of those monsters coloured all over in red? Those are Crimson Monsters. They've been completely Undeadened. Dark Matter gets stronger from negative feelings like anger and hatred. The resentment of defeated monsters awakens these Crimson Monsters. They're a formidable foe. Don't take them lightly.

Sure.

Welp, that's all for optional content! Next time,we invade the Aqueduct in search of a cat!

“BUT WAIT!” I hear some of you say. “There's another dungeon we could do first!”

And you'd be right! There is one more dungeon we could theoretically do right now.

Theoretically.

Because it

is

Filled

With

Bullshit

This.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos:

'Boss' Fight

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 9, 2014

Rigged Death Trap