Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey can we officially declare the slapfight to be concluded since despite popular belief I actually don't want to probate everyone involved, and Pukestain got lit up for something somewhere else I guess so that's not an issue.

This is my calming snype for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

RangerScum posted:

I've seen good photos that look bad in any format other than giant prints.

I only edit my photos on an 80" 4k screen just because of this.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Thread necromancer here. Totally redid my site. I hate the "About" section... I've never included one before now but understand why one is important. Let me know if you think it's too much/little?

http://jyiphoto.com

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Oprah Haza posted:

Thread necromancer here. Totally redid my site. I hate the "About" section... I've never included one before now but understand why one is important. Let me know if you think it's too much/little?

http://jyiphoto.com

Your poo poo takes forever to load, to the point where after waiting for one image, I gave up before the next one came up. Make sure you optimize your files for web usage... those photos shouldn't be more than like 4-500kb.

Edit: your other galleries seemed to load fine-ish, it was just the main page that was having the problem for me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It loads ok for me. Might have just been a bandwidth hiccup at some point.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think there might be a few too many images in the landing gallery as it was slow for me yesterday and slow again today.

I personally would land on a single image and let people explore the galleries do there's no confusion as to what is going on RE image loading

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Thank you all. I asked a bunch of people - they said that the images loaded fine for them even on 3G/4G mobile but I went ahead and put them down to ~5-600 kb. If there are still problems I will probably consider having a single image.

Does my about/services page seem too dumb/too much or not enough info?

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Might as well throw mine out there, not a huge amount of content apart from gig shots and most of my ~people~ one will be gone once I get some planned shoots out of the way so they're more placeholders, going to add a video section soon as that's going to be a big part of what I want to do! I haven't launched anything yet as I'm not sure on pricing etc but I want to get this stuff out there on something other than facebook/flickr.

Long live squarcespace! bang3r.com

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Bang3r posted:

Long live squarcespace! bang3r.com

Was the only other available domain clownpenis.fart or something?

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

RangerScum posted:

Was the only other available domain clownpenis.fart or something?

Hey it's what I've always gone by, I don't like first name last name domains etc.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Bang3r posted:

Hey it's what I've always gone by, I don't like first name last name domains etc.

Based on the type of shots you were displaying (subject etc) I would say it was a good name.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

DILLIGAF posted:

Based on the type of shots you were displaying (subject etc) I would say it was a good name.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but I'll take that! If I ever get into corporate stuff or weddings etc I'd come up with something more user friendly but I do live gigs and video work so I wanted something different and unique, however lovely some people might think it is.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Bang3r posted:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but I'll take that! If I ever get into corporate stuff or weddings etc I'd come up with something more user friendly but I do live gigs and video work so I wanted something different and unique, however lovely some people might think it is.

I was serious. Head banging (bands) and banging heads (wrestling), it seems fitting.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
got a tumblr :toot:

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
It's not a site, but I went over east and shot some footage at the 2014 Nimbin Mardigrass, an annual pro-cannabis rally in rural NSW.

Any feedback is welcomed. Apologies in advance if this isn't the place for this kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaaZadgIog

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

PuntCuncher posted:

It's not a site, but I went over east and shot some footage at the 2014 Nimbin Mardigrass, an annual pro-cannabis rally in rural NSW.

Any feedback is welcomed. Apologies in advance if this isn't the place for this kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaaZadgIog

Did you just get back from the rally? Because otherwise I don't see how you could ever come to the conclusion that this is the right place to post your video. May I suggest instead posting it in the Game of Thrones thread in TV IV?

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

RangerScum posted:

Did you just get back from the rally? Because otherwise I don't see how you could ever come to the conclusion that this is the right place to post your video. May I suggest instead posting it in the Game of Thrones thread in TV IV?

It's been three days. I should be sober enough to drive / post by now.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

I spent last weekend putting this guy together: http://shannaedberg.smugmug.com/ I'm hoping to use it to simultaneously launch into wedding photography and sell prints of my landscapes, so my portfolio is unfortunately geared towards different audiences. Feedback would be much appreciated!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Winter Rose posted:

I spent last weekend putting this guy together: http://shannaedberg.smugmug.com/ I'm hoping to use it to simultaneously launch into wedding photography and sell prints of my landscapes, so my portfolio is unfortunately geared towards different audiences. Feedback would be much appreciated!

I think you really need to cull a lot of your photos. You have some cool shots but you need to be a harsher critic and get rid of all of your mediocre ones. You also have a lot of photos that look pretty similar, in addition to a lot of multi-categorization.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

RangerScum posted:

I think you really need to cull a lot of your photos. You have some cool shots but you need to be a harsher critic and get rid of all of your mediocre ones. You also have a lot of photos that look pretty similar, in addition to a lot of multi-categorization.

Yikes, but thank you. I guess since I'm new to the business I'm trying to prove that I can "do it all" for potential customers.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Winter Rose posted:

Yikes, but thank you. I guess since I'm new to the business I'm trying to prove that I can "do it all" for potential customers.

For starting out I think that's fine, just try to edit each category down to maybe 10-15 unique photos tops. Depending on what your aspirations are, you might have to someday work on specializing, but that'll be down the road a ways.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

Winter Rose posted:

I'm trying to prove that I can "do it all" for potential customers.

Speaking not from a photography background but from a business one, nobody can truly do it all.

Pick what you do well, focus on that. Not every job is honestly worth taking and not every client is right for you, or you for every client.

Be wary of spreading a skill set or an appeal too thin. Save yourself some future ball-ache and target on business is actually worth pitching for.

Johnny Reb
Mar 9, 2013
https://www.wrightontarget.smugmug.com

I'll always feel inadequate, why let that stop me from getting critiques? I really do need to pare that poo poo down, though. A lot of chaff on that site. I have a 500px as well, same username, that one has a lot less images.

Johnny Reb fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 9, 2014

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Finally got something outside of my Facebook page setup: http://jsphoto.co

Critiques are encouraged.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

nexxai posted:

Finally got something outside of my Facebook page setup: http://jsphoto.co

Critiques are encouraged.

The names on the left link to a page with a single photo. It took me awhile to figure out I had to click again to see the set. The main pages gallery does the same task in less clicks, so I would make the links on the left scroll the gallery or just link directly to the image set.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CRAYON posted:

The names on the left link to a page with a single photo. It took me awhile to figure out I had to click again to see the set. The main pages gallery does the same task in less clicks, so I would make the links on the left scroll the gallery or just link directly to the image set.

I was gonna point out the same thing but I was afraid is was nitpicky.

But yeah, its one click too many.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

iSheep posted:

I was gonna point out the same thing but I was afraid is was nitpicky.

But yeah, its one click too many.

CRAYON posted:

I tried making it more user friendly but in the end just ended up deleting the models menu altogether. Until I've done multiple shoots with more of them, it's unnecessary anyways.

Thanks for the critiques guys.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I added a gallery and more external links.

http://icantdescri.be/

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I think I've posted my Tumblr in here before, but I got a website now!

http://www.stevevuoso.com/

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
http://www.paulfake.com/

My first attempt ever at creating a website.

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 24, 2014

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Does anyone have any recommendations for free gallery plug ins for Wordpress, or do they all suck? I'd like to show off some of my work on a site other than Flickr but right now I don't have the cash to buy one.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Similar to the poster above me, I'd like to know what websites are used nowadays to show off your albums/galleries. 500px, smugmug, flickr? Don't know what to choose.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Show off to who...?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ansel autisms posted:

Show off to who...?

Why is that important? But yes, also in a professional context. Although it's not about sellling photography, but about presenting the artworks that I photographed.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

midnightclimax posted:

Why is that important?

Because showing your photos to your mom isn't the same as showing your photos to a gallerist and isn't the same as showing your photos to a commercial agency. You could be way more specific about what you want and end up with something that works better by virtue of being more specifically targeted.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

MrBlandAverage posted:

Because showing your photos to your mom isn't the same as showing your photos to a gallerist and isn't the same as showing your photos to a commercial agency. You could be way more specific about what you want and end up with something that works better by virtue of being more specifically targeted.

Yes. As I specified in my post, it's also for a professional context.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

midnightclimax posted:

As I specified in my post, that's way too general for the kind of specific advice you're looking for.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

midnightclimax posted:

You really didn't specify anything, that's why I asked a clarifying question.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Just started out.

http://datasmurf.500px.com/

I'll get it up at my own domain when I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

ReverendHammer posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for free gallery plug ins for Wordpress, or do they all suck? I'd like to show off some of my work on a site other than Flickr but right now I don't have the cash to buy one.

I have not found a third party gallery plugin for Wordpress that I've been happy with. The default one seems to be the best that I've found. Throw in a nice lightbox plugin and it'll look pretty decent.

• Locked thread