Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I've been cooking birthday lunches for my Dad for a few years now. This past Sunday was this year's (belated) birthday lunch and I managed to snap a few pictures.

My apologies in advance for the pictures, since I am not only bad at picture-taking, but I also had hungry relatives to feed in a hurry.

Main was Beef Wellington (which was tasty but overcooked since I underestimated carry-over heat).

With Braised Leeks (which were unfortunately a little undercooked).

And Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Berry tart for dessert.

Not pictured: Greek salad by my girlfriend and Red Velvet Cake by my mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

bosko posted:

Beautiful. I've never thought to braise leeks because I grew up mostly making leek soup (where browning on the leek = bad). Summary of how you made em? Looks like there's lots of garlic!

paraquat posted:

I've only just learned about braised leeks, didn't care for leeks before that (I'm not a soup person)
Think those are hazelnuts?

would like the recipe/"making of" as well

I was on the leeks-must-remain-white-camp before I came across this method. Also, those are indeed toasted and smashed hazelnuts.

It's a really easy recipe from Gordon Ramsay, although I did use only about half of the listed amount for hazelnuts. Links: Recipe/Video

sharkattack posted:

[...]
Your dad is a very lucky guy! This all looks fantastic! (Also your photos are great)

:neckbeard: Ohmygodthankyou! This made my day! I've been drooling over your recipes and gorgeous pictures for ages now and I must admit that I tried to use your photo editing guide to get my pictures to look more lively. I still have a lot to learn, especially about composition, though.

franco posted:

[...]
That tart is pretty as a picture - lucky dad, indeed! :love:

I had a Greek salad moment (apparently I'm really getting into summery dishes in winter...) thinking "I LOVE Greek salad, why do I never make it? It's simple and clean and fresh and not really cooking at all!" - so bro(sephine) fist to your gf:

Oh goodness, I'm not much of a pork chop fan but I think you just turned me. If they all looked like that....wow that's an attractive plate of food!

Something from budgetbytes was mentioned in (I think) the po' food thread a short while back and I was a: starving and b: had all the ingredients on hand. So Dragon Noodles:

The perils of not specifying which kind of soy sauce in a recipe! I've always been (for the most part) "light as an ingredient and dark as a condiment" but some recent discussion here says that should be the other way round. So I trusted that and went dark...yeah. The colour should be a complete giveaway that she used light. No matter - was quick and tasty as hell. What's a difference of colour between friends?

Thanks for the comment on the tart! I have a new-found respect for bakers who have to decorate tarts and pastries on a daily basis. I must have spent about 15-20min standing around and trying to figure out how to decorate that freaking thing.

Love the look of the salad :respek: and the dragon noodles are making my mouth water.

• Locked thread