Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Triskelli posted:

What even are the requirements for forming the Roman Empire? Not that we need to blob any further but just curious.

If I recall correctly only an Orthodox leader can form the Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did Jerusalem get conquered by Rum? I don't see it on the map.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What map? It's right there in the last screenshot of the update.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh, I see it now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
gently caress you, Byzantium.

That was a pretty lucky break you caught with the succession. I can't remember the last time I had something fall into my lap like that. In a multiplayer game, I once inherited Germany by switching to Ultimogeniture, but even then, I needed to murder a string of the German King's wives so he would have no sons.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Veryslightlymad posted:

That was a pretty lucky break you caught with the succession. I can't remember the last time I had something fall into my lap like that.

Yes, it was pretty lucky to get a strong claim (I would have eventually gotten a weak claim anyway through Alessandro's mother). The late empress had three sons, but none of them had any sons and the other two were dead by the time Apollonios inherited. Apollonios only had a single daughter, too, who didn't have any children of her own (and Apollonios's wife was too old to have kids any more), so if she'd died without issue, Alessandro actually would have eventually inherited anyway. That would have taken much longer and required waiting for both his uncle and mother to die, though. I felt that he and Christine were not really the type to wait.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess it never came up in history, but the idea of the Eastern Roman Empire being inherited by a Catholic is so bizarre to think about. Pressing the claim as they did, though, makes enough sense.

It made more sense than the Fourth Crusade did, for sure.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Blobbing in character is the best kind of blobbing.

Well, sometimes. Sometimes the best kind of blobbing is "Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria", which remains my favorite war I'd been involved in after 300 hours of this game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Veryslightlymad posted:

Blobbing in character is the best kind of blobbing.

Well, sometimes. Sometimes the best kind of blobbing is "Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria", which remains my favorite war I'd been involved in after 300 hours of this game.

Do tell :allears:

Also looking it up forming the Roman Empire is a decision that can be made by the Byzantine Emperor regardless of faith.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

"Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria"

Two things sprung to mind when I read this, first was that there was no part of this sentence I didn't like.

And second was "Wonder how many Shia Jihads where for Bavaria?"

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Will we be moving the capital? Palermo can't compare with the Queen of Cities.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Also looking it up forming the Roman Empire is a decision that can be made by the Byzantine Emperor regardless of faith.
Yessss. :getin:

Did they ever make it so you can heal the Great Schism as a Catholic? I remember a lot of complaints when the Byzantine DLC came out that only an Orthodox Roman Emperor could do it.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Will we be moving the capital? Palermo can't compare with the Queen of Cities.

Palermo: The Third Rome.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
gently caress that, let's conquer Rome and make it our new capitol. Rome Classic

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Nah, don't move the capital. Real Italians rule Rome now, not fake wannabe-Roman "Greeks." in "Constantinople."

Also, rename Not Rome.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

MinistryofLard posted:

Nah, don't move the capital. Real Italians rule Rome now, not fake wannabe-Roman "Greeks." in "Constantinople."

Also, rename Not Rome.

Gotta agree with this. Sicily remains the center of the Mediterranean, and our home.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
As long as we're on the 24 Intrigue spymistress of shadows train... is she evil enough to slay any heirs of Carinthia in front of her? Seems somewhat IC with ambitious, greedy, deceitful and cynical... but perhaps not without cruel, they are family even if their deaths will technically be on her husband's conscience.

Oh, we just took Byzantium? I'm tempted to say nevermind the above but Greece is merely the provincial Thrace of the Latin Empire (do send missionaries there though)... Italy shares our culture group, I think. Are there any seaborne connections for culture to spread from Sicily to western Greece?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 10, 2013

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Readingaccount posted:

As long as we're on the 24 Intrigue spymistress of shadows train... is she evil enough to slay any heirs of Carinthia in front of her? Seems somewhat IC with ambitious, greedy, deceitful and cynical... but perhaps not without cruel, they are family even if their deaths will technically be on her husband's conscience.

Carinthia has agnatic succession, so no amount of murder would ever allow Christine to inherit.

Readingaccount posted:

Oh, we just took Byzantium? I'm tempted to say nevermind the above but Greece is merely the provincial Thrace of the Latin Empire (do send missionaries there though)... Italy shares our culture group, I think. Are there any seaborne connections for culture to spread from Sicily to western Greece?

I think you might be thinking of the old culture spread system from CK1. No special connections are required to spread culture in CK2. However, it is fairly rare (with some exceptions) in the mod I am using.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
What's the de jure Empire map look like? Can an Empire press de jure claims against a Kingdom with a sufficient Crown Authority?

Basically, can we bring Nicaea under the d'Hauteville boot, or is it going to be sitting there, an eyesore on our rightful territory, indefinitely?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

What's the de jure Empire map look like? Can an Empire press de jure claims against a Kingdom with a sufficient Crown Authority?

Basically, can we bring Nicaea under the d'Hauteville boot, or is it going to be sitting there, an eyesore on our rightful territory, indefinitely?

The only de jure empires are the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire. Nicaea is part of the de jure Byzantine Empire, but that's irrelevant to us as the Latin Empire.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
And even if we were still the Byzantine Empire and had de jure claims on all of Nicea, remember that you can only press de jure claims a single county at a time.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Twenty-Four: No Peace for the Wicked (1237-1239)

Most of the rebels are stripped of their titles as punishment.

Alessandro does not have quite the same ideas about the importance of fairness and justice as his grandfather, though, and so a few, including his brother Leopoldo, are pardoned.

Alessandro also rewards his friends and those who served him well during the Greek campaign. Chief among them is a distant cousin, Silvester, who became the hero of the Siege of Constantinople by leading the first group to infiltrate the city and open the gates of Blachernae. He is sent to Georgia to rule it as king.

The brief peace does not last, however. Only a few months later, his vassals are once again in rebellion.

This time, it is a strange combination of Sicilian lords not wanting to be eclipsed in importance by Alessandro’s new imperial holdings and Greek vassals not wanting to be subject to a Sicilian king.

Under normal circumstances the revolt would not be a great threat, failing to gather enough support to match the armies of the king-emperor. But with Alessandro’s forces decimated by years of war and his few loyal vassals unhappy and exhausted, only a fraction of the normal number of troops can be raised.

Still, Alessandro is able to muster enough men for at least one large army, winning an important early victory at the Battle of Taranto.

A second army is forced to defend Palermo, where a Greek force has landed, hoping to capture the Sicilian capital.

The battle is close, but Palermo is saved.

More importantly, the Duke of the Aegean Isles, leader of the Greek faction of the revolt, is captured.

Alessandro himself wastes little time in going after the leader of the revolt as a whole: the Duke of Spoleto.

The Spoletan army evades him for some time before eventually being cornered at Reggio.

Though the battle was never in much doubt, Alessandro nevertheless displays an impressive amount of courage over the course of the conflict, frequently leading from the front.

It nearly costs him when he is knocked off his horse, and it briefly appears that the king-emperor’s previous victories will have been for nothing.

Alessandro is rescued and the battle is won, however.

Despite the victory, the loyalist armies are exhausted. Capturing the rebel strongholds and decisively ending the war would be prohibitively expensive and difficult. Once again it is Queen Christine who comes to the rescue, negotiating the pardon of most of the rebels in exchange for renewed oaths of loyalty to Alessandro – and the handing-over of the Duke of Spoleto.

Alessandro, still recovering from his injuries, is unable to object until it is settled.

Finally the realm is at peace once again. Despite many loud objections, Alessandro decides to move his personal residence to Constantinople, seeing it as a more suitable imperial capital. Most of the Curia Regis remains in Palermo, however, leading some to wonder how effectively the emperor will be able to administer his realm from Greece.

To the North, though, another threat looms. The Golden Horde has proven more successful than its southern counterpart, and its borders now stretch to the Black Sea.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Might have to just bite the bullet if the horde decides it wants Georgia or Crimea, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Puella Magissima posted:

Might have to just bite the bullet if the horde decides it wants Georgia or Crimea, but hopefully it won't come to that.
Nah, we've got a bunch of boats and can just snipe their doomstacks from the sea. It'll be fine.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The Emperor wants to live in Greece? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

The Curia Regis must demand an oath from the Hauteville family that they will never abandon our Sicilian roots, and that their children will be raised by sicilian mentors!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dude shut up the Queen might hear you.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, right... um... the boat ride to Carinthia takes an extra week?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 10, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Dude shut up the Queen might hear you.

The Empress :smug:.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

When Alessandro kicks it (which is pretty likely if he pulls another stunt like that) this empire is going to implode, isn't it? :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hopefully. If we get too big the game might get boring.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Twenty-Five: Mare Catholicam (1240-1249)

In the wake of the most recent rebellion and the relocation of his capital to Constantinople, Alessandro begins a program of encouraging his new Greek vassals to adopt the Latin rite.

Those former rebels who agree are pardoned by the king.

It isn’t long before those same vassals become acquainted with some of the emperor’s less savoury hobbies.

For Alessandro, it is one way of relieving the ever-increasing stress he has begun to feel since the conquest of Constantinople. Suddenly he is forced to exert himself far more than he ever had as King of Sicily.

At times, he even regrets the conquest of Constantinople, wondering whether it was really the great accomplishment he saw it as.

To the south, the apparently interminable rivalry between the two great crusader states continues with the Egyptian-supported excommunication of the King of Jerusalem.

King Guntard III gets his revenge, however, by inviting the Turks and Arabs to pass through his territory in a holy war to reclaim Egypt for Islam.

Alessandro is woken from his stupor by a request for help from Sultan Hussayn.

Alessandro obliges, but brings with him only a small army, fearing the possibility of another rebellion while he is away. This proves to have been a wise decision when a sudden storm hits his navy, sinking several ships and drowning hundreds of soldiers.

Alessandro himself is safe, however, and most of the army arrives safely in Egypt to aid in its defence.

The Sicilians see their first action at the Battle of Arish, where they engage a roughly equal Muslim army.

Their participation is quickly rendered moot, however, when the much larger Egyptian army arrives.

The same happens at the Battle of At Tur, where the Sicilian army is completely overshadowed in the Egyptians’ decisive victory over a massive Muslim army.

Meanwhile, disturbing reports of another possible rebellion reach Alessandro in Egypt.

Already annoyed at the perceived pointlessness of his intervention in Egypt, Alessandro decides to return to Constantinople.

The emperor’s return does little to quell the murmurs of revolt, though. Between Alessandro’s personal unpopularity and the overburdened administration, few vassals are happy with the current state of affairs.

Barring a massive change, rebellion of some kind seems inevitable. Particularly concerning is a growing faction led by the Duke of Salerno that wishes to escape the authority of the newly-formed empire entirely.

Alessandro is finally forced to admit that some sort of reform might be necessary. The simplest solution, he decides, is to consolidate the many disparate feudal holdings of the empire into larger kingdoms. Rather than ruling as King of Sicily himself, he plans to grant it to one of his sons.

Though he has never cared for the advice of the Curia Regis, he is forced to admit on this occasion that consulting with them is necessary. Trying to appoint one of his sons king without some sort of approval would be an invitation to disaster.

The first candidate presented to the Curia Regis is Prince Roberto, Alessandro’s second son. With Roberto’s eldest brother Alessandro already confirmed as the emperor’s heir, Roberto is the natural choice to inherit the Kingdom of Sicily. A friendly but unremarkable man, Roberto enjoys a better relationship with his father than either of his brothers and is Alessandro’s clear first choice.

Obligated to offer the Curia Regis some kind of choice, Alessandro offers his third and youngest son Marco as an alternative. Though only a boy of nine, Marco is an intelligent and popular child, and many hope that he will grow into a great ruler. There are no guarantees, however, and a coronation would likely have to wait until the boy comes of age. For this reason and others, Alessandro views Marco as a second choice to his elder brother.

Some in the Curia Regis are unhappy with either of the emperor’s sons, however. A small faction suggests a third candidate: Alessandro’s nephew Ruggiero. The eldest son of Alessandro’s late brother Leopoldo, Ruggiero has been Duke of Calabria since his father’s untimely death. A kind and noble young man, Ruggiero’s popularity is only hindered slightly by certain unsavoury rumours about his sexual predilections. While he is forced to concede that he is willing to grant Ruggiero the kingdom if he must, the emperor makes it clear that Ruggiero is a distant third choice.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Just to make it clear, we will be playing as whoever wins. This thread is about the Kingdom of Sicily, so we will always control the character with the title "King of Sicily". So choose wisely.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Dat stewardship :quagmire:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Those traits That stewardship This guy.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

We demand Ruggiero get the throne! He is a proven leader who is respected by this Curia and by all of the Sicilian lords. Let the emperor and his line concentrate on Greece, since his attentions have always been there instead of on the Italian states.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

We demand Ruggiero get the throne! He is a proven leader who is respected by this Curia and by all of the Sicilian lords. Let the emperor and his line concentrate on Greece, since his attentions have always been there instead of on the Italian states.

Ruggiero more like Ruggediero; my vote goes to this amazing fellow.

edit: this counts as two votes because I bolded twice okay?

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 11, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

BgRdMchne posted:

Agreed. Allow the tyrant, his scheming harlot of a wife, and all their spawn rot upon the inbred throne of Byzantium they so covet. Ruggi... *grhk*!

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Marco is more charismatic than either of the other choices, and he's nine. There's only one choice.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Ruggiero is the obvious choice; would the good lords of the Curia entrust beloved Sicily to a man who has no experience ruling anything, or worse, a child? No, Ruggiero is a much better choice, with his popularity and experience, he can bend Sicily to the will of the Empire. And should he prove rebellious, well, there is always the choice of the dagger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
Man, we should really wait for this guy (and his wife) to die before we start pledging allegiance to various candidates. This seems like an obvious setup to me. :colbert:

• Locked thread