Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Ruggerio seems cool. Let's see if his homosexuality will not screw us in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The choice is clear, Duke Ruggiero for King! The title of the Kingdom of Sicily must pass through STRONGgeniture, and just which one of the candidates here is the STRONGEST? Certainly not the boy, and while Roberto is a capable warrior, it is known that Duke Ruggiero has spent much of his growing up competing in Graeco-Roman wrestling with as many STRONG men as he could find. His admiration for STRONG-bodied men is well known. We can trust no-one else with the Kingdom of Sicily.

I would also like to put forth a motion to Lower Crown Authority in the Latin Empire. The Emperor must realise the internal issues will not be fixed by merely giving up one of his lesser crowns. Additionally putting forward a motion to officially assign Alessandro a nickname, suggesting 'the Roman'.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

YF-23 posted:

I would also like to put forth a motion to Lower Crown Authority in the Latin Empire. The Emperor must realise the internal issues will not be fixed by merely giving up one of his lesser crowns. Additionally putting forward a motion to officially assign Alessandro a nickname, suggesting 'the Roman'.

I'll put my support behind dropping CA but I think 'the Latin' might be a bit more appropriate name wise.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going to jump on this Ruggiero bandwagon, his claim to the Latin Empire is most distant and I think the story of his unlikely succession might be rather interesting.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Roger.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Marco "The Young". He is young enough to be shaped and molded under the careful eye of the Curia Regis to be a great leader for Sicily.

That and I find the events that pop up during regencies to be interesting. I'd let to see how a 9 year old suddenly turned King would handle it.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Marco

Bet the Emperor will think the Curia Regis is out to get him with that third choice, but it is definitely the second best.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Dibujante posted:

Dat stewardship :quagmire:

Nightblade posted:

Those traits That stewardship This guy.

I'm not really sure if these are meant to be votes or not. It's helpful for me if people can make their votes clear, preferably by putting them in bold.

Gygaxian posted:

Ruggiero is the obvious choice; would the good lords of the Curia entrust beloved Sicily to a man who has no experience ruling anything, or worse, a child? No, Ruggiero is a much better choice, with his popularity and experience, he can bend Sicily to the will of the Empire. And should he prove rebellious, well, there is always the choice of the dagger...

Again, I just want to make it clear if people are missing it that we will be playing as whoever is chosen. Once the title King of Sicily is transferred we will no long be playing as Alessandro.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ruggiero for King! Let's now leave the youngest brother as king under the older one.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Viscardus posted:

Again, I just want to make it clear if people are missing it that we will be playing as whoever is chosen. Once the title King of Sicily is transferred we will no long be playing as Alessandro.

You mean until AI Alesandro and his wife murder Ruggio and all of his line until the emperor or his heir has the title back, right?

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 11, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Marco can surely be made into a fine king with time.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Viscardus posted:

I'm not really sure if these are meant to be votes or not. It's helpful for me if people can make their votes clear, preferably by putting them in bold.

They weren't meant as votes, but I did vote for Ruggediero later on; I'll bold that vote.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Viscardus posted:

Maybe he means that if we get rebellious against our byzantine monarch we can give him a steel injection?

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Marco

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Marco Kid King. Now. :colbert:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Ruggiero , He's Italian, so no one will be able to tell if he's gay.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Ruggiero seems like a pretty chill guy. Also, that stewardship is incredible.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
King Marco for Sicily!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
King Rug better have some heirs lined up somehow because we probably aren't getting any more.

Brother_Walken
Apr 29, 2013

Hard Rock Nipples
Ruggiero will bring balance to the force. I mean, Sicily.

Young Marco and the other one, whatever his name is, will invariably be drawn into succession wars. I say we let those fools slap at each other in Greece, while we all stay in Sicily and drink plentiful wine under the careful eye of Good King Ruggy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Marco

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bucking the trend and voting for the sane action of Roberto. Since he's going to lose, can I request you tag him as a followed character? I'd be real interested in how being slighted by a bunch of bureaucrats drives him into a murderous rage.
~~~~

Triskelli posted:

Do tell :allears:

Also looking it up forming the Roman Empire is a decision that can be made by the Byzantine Emperor regardless of faith.

I had been playing as the Suleimids of Cyrenaica, and expanded to most of Sicily, and was looking for another likely target to expand to, or perhaps weaken the hated Genovese. Anyhow, Venice, by this time, had de jure controlled the southern part of Italy, and was busy losing a war to Byzantium. I decided that their holdings were a natural target. When I clicked on the diplomacy screen of the Doge, I learned two very interesting facts.

1)You can, or at least could, at the time, Jihad for king-level republic titles.
2)The Doge was Cathar, and no Catholic would aid him in a holy war.

I realized I could take all of Venice right then and wipe a dangerous rival off the map. So I did. From there, Bavaria became a natural target for future rulers, because, well, I didn't like having the Holy Roman Empire (later the Golden Horde, who inherited them) surrounding my capital.

I took all the town-ruled counties of Genoa and turned them into a backwater 1 duchy African Kingdom. I successfully Jihaded for Venice, Andalusia and Italy in that game, but I never, EVER could drive the Catholics from their sacred lands of Bavaria.

Also, I somehow became Ethopian, and ruled the Mediterranean as the Sunni Ethiopian King of Venice, Italy, Andalusia, Africa, and Sicily. I strongly considered modding my file so I was some kind of Emperor, but :effort:

tl;dr: Crusader Kings 2 is the single greatest PC game ever made.

Shogunate posted:

Two things sprung to mind when I read this, first was that there was no part of this sentence I didn't like.

And second was "Wonder how many Shia Jihads where for Bavaria?"

The absurdity of the game.... coupled with the idea that it made perfect sense for my world, is why I love it so much.

The Shiites only called failed Jihads for Andalusia, before I stepped in and showed them how it was done. :smug:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ruggiero shall push the boundaries of the Latin empire ever further!

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Ruggiero shall push the boundaries of the Latin empire ever further!

Indeed, none shall stop us!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Veryslightlymad posted:

the Holy Roman Empire (later the Golden Horde, who inherited them)

I love this game. :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Gotta go for Marco. Look at that Diplomacy!

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
It must be Ruggiero.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
We put our faith in Blast HardcheeseRuggiero!

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Marco

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
Ruggiero

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Ruggiero

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I don't understand how we could vote for anyone but Ruggerio. I mean, the just, brave, kind, strong guy? He's so dreamy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Marco for King!

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
State of the World (1250)

While England is still the foremost power in the British Isles, Scotland is in the ascendance, having conquered most of Ireland in the past few decades.

Scotland’s old rival, the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles, has fallen upon harder times than ever. Humiliatingly, the current king is a prisoner of the King of Scotland.

After the death of Queen Anne of England, her realm was inherited by her son Martin, a member of House Jimena.

France, formerly the hotbed of conflict in Western Europe, has quieted down somewhat. The only significant exception is the French conquest of Poitou from Aquitaine, splitting the latter realm into two.

In Scandinavia, Sweden and Denmark continue their dominance over their neighbours. The most interesting conflict lies on the other side of the Baltic, however, where Livonia and Estonia are locked in a religious struggle.

The champion of Christianity is Nuyanza, the Duke of Livonia, who converted to Christianity along with his father and brother. His brother’s son, the new ruler of Estonia, has reverted to the pagan traditions of his family’s past, driving a wedge between the two branches of the family.

While Poland’s holy wars have been put on hold by the peaceful conversion of many of the Baltic peoples, Hungary has begun its own holy wars, invading the formerly Pecheneg-held lands of Wallachia.

Poland has faded as champions of Catholicism for other reasons as well, though. The King of Poland is reportedly mad, consumed by viciousness and evil. Already excommunicated and despised by his vassals, it seems unlikely he will hold onto his throne for long.

To the east, the Golden Horde has been much more successful than their southern counterparts, crushing the Cuman khanates and beginning to invade the Russian principalities as well. Only the Volga Bulgars have so far been able to resist them in battle, while the Oghuz Turks have proven too much for the Ilkhanate.

Spain has seen massive changes in the past few decades, many of them brought about by the collapse of the Almoravid Sultanate and their near-complete loss of control over Al-Andalus. While the new Almoravid sultan tries to regain his family’s former glory, the Hammadids of Algeria and the Christian kingdoms of the north have staked their claims as well.

Most successful among the latter is Manrique of Castille, though he has greater problems at the moment. After executing his own brother he has been demonized by the church and by his enemies, leading to his excommunication. He responded to this by denouncing the church and adopting an obscure, heretical brand of Christianity.

Castille might have more to worry about if it were not for the general ineffectiveness of their rivals, however. Ademar of Aragon is an unintelligent man who has not only failed to take advantage of his rival’s problems but has managed to get excommunicated himself as well.

Ademar’s one achievement has been managing to put his grandson and presumably eventual heir on the throne of Navarra-Leon. Sadly, young King Abelard is perhaps the one man less suited to kingship than his grandfather. Nearly incapable of functioning in regular society, the Navarrese king spends most of his time obsessively reciting long passages he has memorized from the Bible rather than doing any sort of governing, leading to the loss of several of his most powerful vassals.

To the south, the Almoravids have been more successful in reclaiming their power in North Africa, although even there they have a ways to go. Even further south, the rival states of West Africa still vie for dominance.

Once crucial change there, however, is the conversion of the Kingdom of Ghana to Islam, meaning that all of the great powers of the region follow the same religion.

On the other side of Africa, Abyssinia is stagnant while the Rassids of Yemen and Somalia have expanded to conquer the holy sites of Mecca and Medina.

The Sultan of Rassid is the last significant ruler in the world who still adheres to the near-defunct Shia denomination.

In Abyssinia, generations of inbreeding have caught up to the royal family. The current king, Getachew II, is so physically and mentally malformed as to be incapable of even taking care of himself, let alone ruling.

Ledger

Religions

The Most Prestigious Characters

The Most Pious Characters

The Largest States

The Largest Armies

World Map

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Sultan Hussayn the Lionheart? That's pretty awesome.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I love how the King of Castille is a heretic, excommunicated, and a kinslayer, but he's saved by his rivals being so much more incompetent. He might want to look out for his own vassals, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The entire Spanish branch of the d'Hautevilles is hosed up :gonk:

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

The entire Spanish branch of the d'Hautevilles is hosed up :gonk:

We have taken our place as the TTL Hapsburg's :magical:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh, we actually outnumber the Golden Horde. I guess they and the Ilkhante spawned in one of their weaker forms, since it looks like they never made any progress against Rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Welp, there's still Tamerlane. Hopefully the Church will call a crusade around that time.

• Locked thread