Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Really loving pumped for this LP now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

Really loving pumped for this LP now.
Yeah. Clearly, our string of female rulers needs to marry his son or something and form a Sicilo-Mongolian Buddhist World Empire.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Craven king who nearly collapses the entire kingdom built by several generations of d'Hautevilles is the best king. Sicily definitely needed a little humbling so that it wouldn't become a boring juggernaut.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Most importantly, how will this news from the east impact Serbia-Nicaea-Genoa the greatest country ever?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dibujante posted:

Yeah. Clearly, our string of female rulers needs to marry his son or something and form a Sicilo-Mongolian Buddhist World Empire.

goddamn this could be magical.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dibujante posted:

He's unmarried. Let's see if we can marry into him and his beautiful genes.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Civilized Fishbot posted:

He's unmarried. Let's see if we can marry into him and his beautiful genes.

We won't be able to, short of modding or cheating. AI rulers never agree to marry people outside their religion groups.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

duralict posted:

We won't be able to, short of modding or cheating. AI rulers never agree to marry people outside their religion groups.

What is the closest Buddhist country?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

duralict posted:

You might be able to wrangle a descendant of his into your court and then, shenanigans! :v:

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Herr Tog posted:

What is the closest Buddhist country?

I don't think there are any, barring the newly-arrived horde, since Viscardus had to mod Buddhism into the game.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bot 02 posted:

I don't think there are any, barring the newly-arrived horde, since Viscardus had to mod Buddhism into the game.

My hopes and dreams are dashed.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We could just invite courtiers from his Empire and from any splitters that form are to attempt to convert.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
In other non-Buddhist related news, I really see a potential future here with parts of the world that needs to be annexed.

Venice needs to be taught its place, and properly annexed into the Kingdom; the Adriatic needs to become a Sicilian lake with the conquest of Croatia and Dalmatia; a Papal Vassal would be interesting, but I'm unsure if that can even be arranged properly; and, as much as it pains me, Serbia-Lombardia have to be destroyed. At least parts of it. It retains lands that border the Adriatic, and Lombardia is a proper part of... well, the Kingdom of Lombardy, I suppose.

Anyhow, there is much to be done! Sicily have enough problems without Timur the Lame Maidar the Tall causing a ruckus in the east.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm really excited to see what kind of chaos War Buddah gets up to

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Viscardus, how did you mod Maidar and his lot into the game, exactly? Also, lucky you're playing an old version - I have no idea how you're supposed to put up a decent fight against hordes with the latest patch's nerfing of vassal levies. An empire that takes up a solid third or possibly even half of the entire map can now only muster an army the size of one typical horde doomstack.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Flesnolk posted:

Viscardus, how did you mod Maidar and his lot into the game, exactly?

It was fairly straightforward, to be honest. Because Maidar was meant to replace Timur, I just rewrote everything to do with the Timurids. The Maidarids even use the e_timurids tag, and the Maidarid coat of arms (which is an endless knot, if anyone was wondering) replaces the Timurid one.

The only slightly tricky part was adding Buddhism. The icons gave me a bit of trouble, but that's mainly because I have no experience with pretty much anything to do with image editing and the icons are stored in a weird format I still don't really understand. Once I figured it out it wasn't too difficult, though.

By the way, I want to apologize for the delay in getting out the next update (as well as all the other delays that have occurred over the course of the LP). My circumstances have changed a lot since I started the LP (mostly in good ways, fortunately) and it's caused a lot more interference than I would have liked. I'm almost completely certain that I will finish the CK2 portion of the LP within the next three to four weeks, and there should be regular updates starting in a few days. After that it's on to the conversion, which could take a while, but I have a few ideas that should hopefully make it more interesting for everyone.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Edit: The mongol_events textfile, I assume?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thank you for your hard work!

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Chapter 38: Maidar Khan (1381-1399)

Young Maidar’s first major campaign is against the Oghuz Turks – the same Turks who defeated Maidar’s Mongol predecessors, the Ilkhanate.

History does not repeat itself, however. This time, the Oghuz Turks are overrun, and Maidar’s reputation grows.

Still, it is hard to see how any Mongols could possible concern King Roberto, half a world away in Sicily. He is more occupied with new plans – unsurprisingly, urged upon him by his wife – to conduct a grand census of the kingdom.

Though he is still not inclined toward administrative matters, Roberto is steadily learning the necessity of at least taking enough of an interest to delegate efficiently.

Meanwhile, the slow reconquest of the land lost in the civil war proceeds with an attack on the Duke of Tuscany.

The Duke of Modena follows. Neither is in any position to resist, and their lands are summarily re-annexed.

With their submission, the kingdom is once again united.

Redeemed for his previous humiliation, Roberto is once again free to indulge in his preferred pursuits, including the patronage of – and even writing of – vernacular poetry.

But there is one final act of justice required of him. More than a decade after the rebellion, he sets sail to take his revenge on the Duke of Cyprus.

This time, the Duke has no hope of defending himself.

He is driven into exile as Cyprus is reunited with Sicily.

In celebration of his victory, Roberto is crowned King of Cyprus.

While in Cyprus, Roberto hears remarkable news – the Sultan of Rum has been driven out of Persia by Maidar Khan.

The former heart of Turkish power has been conquered by the young Mongol horde. Whether the victory of pagans over Muslims is something to be celebrated in the Christian world is a matter of debate.

Back in Sicily, King Roberto watches his eldest son come of age – slightly concerned to note that the young man seems to take after his mother in a few unfortunate ways.

Nevertheless, Roberto is happy to give his son substantial control over northern Italy.

The years pass quickly and quietly, and it isn’t long before Roberto’s third son, Alessandro, is named Duke of Spoleto. The king’s second son does not receive any such title, and few speak openly of him.

During the long period of peace, King Roberto masters the art of doing just enough to keep the realm running efficiently while allowing his more competent subordinates to do most of the important work.

Between the increase in trade and technological advancements in agriculture, Sicily seems to enter an economic golden age.

With wealth continuing to flow into Sicily, both the king and his vassals benefit.

The consequent good feelings – and the king’s ever-growing treasury – are enough to allow the court in Palermo to re-exert many of the powers lost after the civil war.

As Palermo overflows with wealth, attracting the greatest artists and poets to King Roberto’s court, there is no question what he will be remembered for.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011
Maybe we should worry for the persians :ohdear:

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
Wait, what's the deal with his second son?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

It's a secret for now. You'll see later on.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm guessing he's the victim of some truly impressive inbreeding.

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013
Viscardus, this has been an excellent LP thus far; it's a nice blend of believably (Norman Crusaders-Adventurers abound) and just enough interesting alternate history (Buddhist Timurd-equivalents) that it makes it a seriously interesting world.

I do have one question though: do you plan to address the state of the world outside the Sicilian realms at any point? Not necessarily as an in-character observation, but just a few maps of culture,religion and various states? I am especially curious to see what sort of places surround the Maidarids; are there any serious threats to them at this point, or can we assume steamrolling until the end of CK2?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Duckbag posted:

I'm guessing he's the victim of some truly impressive inbreeding.

This or perhaps even better he's got awesome stats but terrible traits (craven, shy, cruel, etc.) or something along those lines.

E:

VVV Good guess!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 18, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm going to bet on Possessed with Voice of Satan.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

MuteAllison posted:

Viscardus, this has been an excellent LP thus far; it's a nice blend of believably (Norman Crusaders-Adventurers abound) and just enough interesting alternate history (Buddhist Timurd-equivalents) that it makes it a seriously interesting world.

I do have one question though: do you plan to address the state of the world outside the Sicilian realms at any point? Not necessarily as an in-character observation, but just a few maps of culture,religion and various states? I am especially curious to see what sort of places surround the Maidarids; are there any serious threats to them at this point, or can we assume steamrolling until the end of CK2?

Well, there are the State of the World updates (which the next update will be, if you notice the year), but I suppose you mean besides those.

I've been reluctant to share religious and culture maps in the past because I'm not really going to use them as "canon" in my descriptions within the LP or in the conversion to EU4. This is mainly because the systems can often lead to rather absurd results (for instance, the Dutch culture has been all but wiped out by this point, but that's a stupid - and boring - result, so I'm going to ignore it during the conversion). It feels kind of pointless to give people information that doesn't really reflect anything meaningful for the LP. That said, I'll usually be willing to answer specific questions people have.

If you mean the rest of the world, that's going to remain a mystery until during and after the conversion.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The King is to be congratulated for his reconquest of the rebel scum, and his otherwise peaceful but equally blessed reign.
However, he must not stall. He has redeemed himself as he ascends towards the legacy of yore, but he must continue to attempt to expand his Empire if he is to be truly accepted among his forefathers in Palermo.
The time has come to challenge Serbia, theirs may be a unique flowering, but we are no greenhouse to leave them unmolested for decades more.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 18, 2013

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

State of the World (1400)

As the 15th century dawns, some parts of Europe, such as the British Isles, remain fairly stable.

Scotland still defends itself from English encroachment, now led by the formerly-obscure House de Stirling, who overthrew the old House of Atholl.

In Iberia, Aragon has grown into a commanding position over its peninsular competitors, but unstable dynastic politics have led to frequent chaos within the realm.

The young King of Aragon, Portugal, and Navarra is a capable commander, but containing the bickering of the Iberian d’Hautevilles may prove to be too much for him.

His chief external rival could hardly be more different. Though his father overthrew the Hammadids, the peace-loving Sultan Mahtar of the Maghrawavids could hardly be more different from both his father and from his Aragonese rival.

To the south, Ghana remains the predominant power in South Africa, despite losing control over the trans-Saharan trade routes to the Maghrawavids.

In Scandinavia, little had changed, with Sweden still in the dominant position over the Danish and Norwegian union.

The Ylvings have managed to keep a firm hold on the Norwegian crown, however, and though hardly a warmonger, the respected King Ubbe seeks to halt Swedish dreams of Scandinavian hegemony.

In Greece and the Balkans, the three powers of Hellas, Serbia-Nicaea, and the Latin Empire exist in an uneasy peace, but the powerful Kingdom of Hungary continues to exert pressure from the north.

The Latin Empire in particular seems to be on the edge of crisis, with the highly unpopular Emperor Massimo III having been excommunicated for his role in assassinating several of his prominent opponents.

Further north, the Golden Horde has collapsed between Maidarid conquest and power-hungry vassals, leaving opportunity for their Russian enemies.

Among the Russians, the Principality of Moskva has taken a leading role, but its new prince leaves a great deal to be desired.

Among the Golden Horde’s successors, the young Khan of Crimea stands foremost, though he is threatened by Russians, Maidarids, and Hungarian crusaders alike.

The tumult in Russia is nothing compared to the situation in the Middle East, however. The Maidarid conquest of Persia has been followed by an invasion of Mesopotamia.

In the last two decades, Maidar has won victory after victory, culminating in the sack of Baghdad and the exile of the Abbasid Caliph to distant Algeria. There is no reason to believe that the formidable khan will stop his relentless western invasions, however.

Maidar’s great rival is the Sultan of Rum. A great commander in his own right, the sultan has still not proven a match for Maidar, losing Persia and then Mesopotamia to the Mongols.

But he is not Maidar’s only rival. The invader’s most recent conquests have brought his empire to the borders of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, still prospering under the rule of Bohemond the Magnificent. Of late, however, Bohemond has been speaking of strange instructions he has received from Jesus himself, and many fear that the great king may be losing his mind with age.

Finally, there are the Rassids. Once mere rulers of Yemen, then sultans of all Arabia, they now claim the title of Caliph, restoring the Shia faith from the brink of extinction and posing another possible threat to Maidar.

Ledger

Religions

The Most Prestigious Characters

The Most Pious Characters

The Largest States

The Largest Armies

World Map

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 9, 2014

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Sharp-eyed readers may notice that the Rassid Caliph is suddenly a Sayyid where his ancestors weren't. This is actually a mistake on Paradox's part (and mine and several other peoples', I suppose, for not realizing earlier), because they actually should have been from the beginning. In the course of doing some quick research on them, I discovered that the dynasty's founder, Al-Hadi ila'l-Haqq Yahya, was in fact a Sayyid, being patrilineally descended from Hasan, the son of Ali and Fatimah. So I fixed the mistake (and loosened the requirements for forming the Shia Caliphate slightly while I was at it, since it made perfect sense that they would declare it after conquering Mecca and uniting Arabia).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Mega-Hungary looks like a great rival for our beloved Serbia.

Maybe Serbia can use Rum's weaknesses to drive them out of Anatolia?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What's with this thread and Serbia?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Flesnolk posted:

It's the fourth Rome!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Flesnolk posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234431

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2996309&userid=28170

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yYHVTdViA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFDGSLNQgk

You decide!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Nice update, map is looking lovely!
This is totally why I voted Africa though, I'd wanted to push the muslims out of the western Mediterranean, but probably neither will happen now before the end of CK2. Casus belli would've been a lot easier going into early EU4, whereas now we'll have no recourse until colonialism but either non-contigous territories or pushing into either the HRE with all that implies or the Mediterranean coast which is filled not only with coreligionists, but half of them family at that.

So, I've tried googling it a bunch, but I can't find a list of Rome's after Moscow. Can anyone list give a succinct answer as to why the Serbs think Belgrade is sixth Rome, and what they consider to be the fourth and fifth?
Personally, I'm kind of hoping Hungary goes south, I have a thing for how they held the line IRL and are pushing it east in this timeline.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 20, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did you do some serious army building or is that all the AI work? Also, the map is really neat. Not necessarily pretty borders, but definitely pretty realized realms, without weird snake or patchwork countries.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Readingaccount posted:

So, I've tried googling it a bunch, but I can't find a list of Rome's after Moscow. Can anyone list give a succinct answer as to why the Serbs think Belgrade is sixth Rome, and what they consider to be the fourth and fifth?

Because mighty Srbja is the strongest.

(Read the post above yours, Serbia being the greatest Rome is an SA/Grand Strategy thing, not a Serbia thing)

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocW3fBqPQkU

you forgot this one

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, the REMOVE KEBAB / SRBJA STRONK thing isn't just the Paradox threads here. I've seen it pop up in a few other places discussing these games.

It's Serbia-lovers and Byzantophiles that always seem to show up when Paradox games are involved. Never got it myself, I just irrationally love the Kaiserreich. Clearly, that means I am a modern man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Rooting for the Maghrawavids here, and for an Aragon-Portugal split. Also for the Pretty Borders Factions of Iberia to rise up against their clearly incompetent masters.

Dammit, there are so many things to wish for! I want the Swedish Samoyedian lands to be reconnected with the homeland, I want France to properly join the HRE in defence from the English, I want Serbia-Lombardia-Nicaea to get a grip on itself, and I want the Sunni Caliphate split between Rum and Maghrawavids considering they're the only real Sunni powers remaining on the map.

Let's hope for a good run, shall we?

• Locked thread