Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The Lord Bude posted:

Since you appear to be an enthusiast of fine cheeses, I would like to draw your attention to the traditional method of eating haloumi cheese (best at breakfast time):

1. Cut your Haloumi into slices of consistent thickness (1cm)
2. cook your haloumi in a lightly oiled frying pan, or a barbeque grill, or under the grill of your stove
3. consume immediately with a squeeze of lemon.

haloumi is great I need to grab some it has been a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Casu Marzu posted:

GUYS. I DID IT. I GOT THE HOOKS 10/15/20 YEAR CHEESE TASTING. HOLY gently caress.

:snoop: :eyepop: :catdrugs:

holy christmas.

they had such a thing at the Chelsea Market one time and I pussied out because I was too cheap

I always regret that.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

GUYS. I DID IT. I GOT THE HOOKS 10/15/20 YEAR CHEESE TASTING. HOLY gently caress.

:snoop: :eyepop: :catdrugs:

Was it actually good though? I'm extremely wary of cheeses aged past five years because they generally end up tasting like barf.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

yes posted:

Was it actually good though? I'm extremely wary of cheeses aged past five years because they generally end up tasting like barf.

Barf in a good way, or in a bad way?

Princess Neurotica
Jul 31, 2008

WD40 posted:

I'd say it's like French-kissing the goddess Venus at a party after she's drank a bottle of brandy. It looks so bad for you, like it can kill you in many different ways. But it also knows that you want it in your mouth, you dirty slut. Go on, go buy some. You know you want to. Yeah. Just like that. Mmm.

Sorry. I really like this cheese. Oh god, look at it dripping everywhere. gently caress.

I love this so much that I went out and got a round of Affedelice (more or less the same cheese, just washed in Chablis instead). It's dinner with a bottle of cider! Your flair for description has inspired a beautiful Friday.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've made a huge mistake.

Was at the store picking up some cheese for snacking. Saw they had limburger, which I haven't had before, so I picked some up. I didn't look closely at the packaging until I got home, where I found it had a funkiness guide. 6 months before the sell-by date, the cheese is pretty mild. 3-4 months before, it's somewhat funky but "most people" will like it. Less than 3 months it's quite funky and the packaging says it's for "dedicated limburger fans."

The sell-by date on the package I bought is Tuesday.

I ate some anyway. It loving reeks. There's a hint of good flavor in there, surrounded by a musk of rotten. I'm going to try to finish it (I loathe food waste), but there's no way I'm opening the package indoors again.

E: I threw it out. I like funky cheese, but that was inedible.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 11, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I tried really hard to like Limburger, I bought some really nice rye bread, nice mustard, cooked up some onions...

The smell didn't bother me, I just couldn't enjoy the taste.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Was this the Country Castle Limburger? It sounds like the little aging guide they put on the side. I've tried it at about the same point, it had just gone out of date so we had to throw out a few packages, and it was pretty bad. If you're trying it again, cut off the outer layer and stick with the very inside. If that's still too strong (probably will be) then I'd just give up

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
A few years ago I had a cheese plate dessert at a nice restaurant and one of the four on the plate had a no-joke buttered popcorn taste. We think it was the manchego and I've spent the last ten years eating tons of manchego which is fine by me, it's a really tasty cheese. I haven't encountered anything that tasted quite like that buttered popcorn flavor though. Any ideas what it might have been?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yes posted:

I know this is like 5 months ago but dang dude. You're really missing out. Cheddar starts to get super awesome after like 7-8 years. By 15-20 absolutely mindblowing.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I know this is like 5 months ago but dang dude. You're really missing out. Cheddar starts to get super awesome after like 7-8 years. By 15-20 absolutely mindblowing.

It's not that I haven't tried long-aged Cheddars. It's just that i often find them to be overpriced and overwhelmingly bilious.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe a silly Q: can I age a factory-sealed small block of cheddar by leaving it in my fridge for a few years?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

You sure can. It would do better in a slightly warmer environment (~52F), but your fridge will still be effective.

Filosofem
Jul 8, 2012
Got myself £13's worth of PR for 65p today ($19 worth for 95 cents). Put it all in the freezer to use as and when required.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

taqueso posted:

Maybe a silly Q: can I age a factory-sealed small block of cheddar by leaving it in my fridge for a few years?

If you can, I suggest waxing it for storage. The high temp of the wax kills off any bacteria or spores that latched onto the surface when it was cut and packaged. And if you do see mold develop, you can re-wax it. Don't use paraffin.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Speaking of aged cheddar: 40 year Tillamook just showed up at my office.

I'll be honest, I was expecting it to be much worse than it actually was. It comes on strong and sweet, with malt and light butterscotch flavors that quickly fall away to a metallic, slightly spicy and butyric finish that sits heavily on the back of your palate.

Overall, not horrible. I'm not sure I'd pay money for it, but I'm glad I was able to try it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

yes posted:

Speaking of aged cheddar: 40 year Tillamook just showed up at my office.

They really don't clean out the back of the cheese aging room too often. They also got Jimmy Hoffa back there.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 13, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just had a little bit of Midnight Moon. Still not 100% used to goat-milk cheeses, but at least the little crystals were a delicious touch.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ColdPie posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Was at the store picking up some cheese for snacking. Saw they had limburger, which I haven't had before, so I picked some up. I didn't look closely at the packaging until I got home, where I found it had a funkiness guide. 6 months before the sell-by date, the cheese is pretty mild. 3-4 months before, it's somewhat funky but "most people" will like it. Less than 3 months it's quite funky and the packaging says it's for "dedicated limburger fans."

The sell-by date on the package I bought is Tuesday.

I ate some anyway. It loving reeks. There's a hint of good flavor in there, surrounded by a musk of rotten. I'm going to try to finish it (I loathe food waste), but there's no way I'm opening the package indoors again.

E: I threw it out. I like funky cheese, but that was inedible.

Look at this bitch. I bet you take your steak well done.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I tried really hard to like Limburger, I bought some really nice rye bread, nice mustard, cooked up some onions...

The smell didn't bother me, I just couldn't enjoy the taste.

If you warm it up it loses a good deal of potency and becomes pretty mild.

Last time we did limburger we tried rye crackers (worked alright), apricot jam paired well, salamis were hit and miss, caramelized balsamic red onions + a drop of apricot on a cracker was really good, tried a piece with kimchee as a joke and that was just a mess in my mouth.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oh hey the cheese thread got resurrected.

I accidentally bought four pounds of five year aged gouda the other day(hasn't been delivered yet). I have no idea what I'm going to do with four pounds of cheese.

I probably should have done some better reading comprehension(less drinking).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In the meantime, the cheese store near me went out of business and never got around to ordering Epoisses for me.

I guess I've gotta get on that again.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In the meantime, the cheese store near me went out of business and never got around to ordering Epoisses for me.

I guess I've gotta get on that again.

The one I used to walk to back in college got some before but my schedule didn't permit me getting it. Nor did I have proper storage for it, as I understand.

Maybe someday.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
There's a place on the other side of town that has a huge selection of import cheeses, but mostly hard and firm stuff. It's really hard to bring myself to go there and buy cheese because I have to pass by a super nice charcuterie place where I can get meats instead of cheese for a better price...

Maybe one day I'll have enough money to actually go to both.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Look at this bitch. I bet you take your steak well done.

I'm no bitch, and I don't care for Limburger. I've tried well over a thousand different cheeses and I find Limburger to be a pedestrian, gimmicky mess that's often severely overripe and inedibly ammoniated. Even young, it's not very good.

quote:

If you warm it up it loses a good deal of potency and becomes pretty mild.

This is wrong

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Oh hey the cheese thread got resurrected.

I accidentally bought four pounds of five year aged gouda the other day(hasn't been delivered yet). I have no idea what I'm going to do with four pounds of cheese.

I probably should have done some better reading comprehension(less drinking).

It's going to be really sweet, so prepare yourself for that. Aged gouda goes really well with salty - I love shaving it into pasta, actually. Another great combo is dark chocolate. I like to say that it tastes like an "adult butterfinger". Great to pair with Gose as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

yes posted:

I'm no bitch, and I don't care for Limburger. I've tried well over a thousand different cheeses and I find Limburger to be a pedestrian, gimmicky mess that's often severely overripe and inedibly ammoniated. Even young, it's not very good.

This is wrong

I'm just satisfied that I made a proper, good-faith effort to enjoy it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

yes posted:

This is wrong

Good for you. Although if you think a little limburger is "inedibly ammoniated" you're either a bitch or a oval office for the sake of being a snob. "yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Boldface calling the dude who makes his own cheese regularly and is responsible for upwards of thirty percent of the posts in this thread a bitch is about as wrong as it can be. It's called purposeful stupidity. I hope nobody takes that seriously.

The last limburger I had definitely did lose a lot of punch when I warmed it slightly though, so I don't know what else to say there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Good for you. Although if you think a little limburger is "inedibly ammoniated" you're either a bitch or a oval office for the sake of being a snob. "yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Boldface calling the dude who makes his own cheese regularly and is responsible for upwards of thirty percent of the posts in this thread a bitch is about as wrong as it can be. It's called purposeful stupidity. I hope nobody takes that seriously.

The last limburger I had definitely did lose a lot of punch when I warmed it slightly though, so I don't know what else to say there.

I feel like you seriously misread this conversation somewhere along the line.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Edit: I'm just gonna re-read the conversation before I decide if I want to talk about anything other than Cheese.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

"The reading of Gibbo" posted:

everyone's a cheese bitch but me
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So what's my best bet for storing this monstrosity after I start digging into it?

The cheese on top is a half pound of random grocery store provolone for scale. Actual weight 3.67lbs.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Depends how fast you eat it I guess, and what it is. I'd portion it out and vacuum seal it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hogmartin posted:

Depends how fast you eat it I guess, and what it is. I'd portion it out and vacuum seal it.

It's 5 year aged gouda so it shouldn't really go bad anytime soon but I don't have any real plans for it other than bringing a chunk or two to a party or something in the future. As of now it's still vacuum sealed.

I would like to portion it out though as it's taking up a lot of space so the vacuum sealer idea is a good one.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, another option is to rewax it. Don't use paraffin.

So sayeth the limburger bitch.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Don't rewax it, and there's no need to vacuum seal it. Just wrap it in plastic wrap or use a ziplock with the air squeezed out. The cheese has such low moisture that it'll never go bad (and I do mean never), so your goal is to keep what little moisture is left in the cheese from escaping.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Well that's why you vacuum seal it, it keeps the air out. I've found a wedge of Fontina in the depths of my refrigerator that was a year past the sell-by date but still in the vendor's vacuum bag and it was great. The goal is not to keep it from going bad, it probably never will. It can get dried out in the refrigerator, though, vacuum sealing is a quick and easy way to remedy that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shrapnig posted:

So what's my best bet for storing this monstrosity after I start digging into it?

The cheese on top is a half pound of random grocery store provolone for scale. Actual weight 3.67lbs.

You're never going to finish it, just bury it and run away from the great London fire like a champ.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have a friend coming to stay with me tomorrow from France and he happens to bring some cheese.

I need condiments and crackers/etc to match this. What should I get to not look like a fool

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
someone gave me a gift card to whole foods for the holidays and I used it all on cowgirl creamery cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

I have a friend coming to stay with me tomorrow from France and he happens to bring some cheese.

I need condiments and crackers/etc to match this. What should I get to not look like a fool

A nice crusty baguette that you slice on a bias, some crackers (can be plain water crackers or lightly-flavored variety like olive oil and cracked pepper, I wouldn't go crazy with Flavor Blasted Cheezy Guzzlers or anything like that), red and green grapes, olive tapenade, perhaps some charcuterie (coppa, salami, prosciutto), and some sort of marmalade or pepper jelly or something like that.

• Locked thread