Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Cheese, you say?

Started making a batch of random cheeses every paycheck. What's nice is that you can use the leftover whey to make ricotta or mysost so it gives you a little something on the side too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Your overhead for equipment and random crap is around 200 bucks, at least mine was. Incremental cost is 2 good gallons of milk, and whatever paltry amount of starter, rennet, etc is used, so I would say $15

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Ski Queen gjetost, I wanna say. It had an odd name like that (well, odd to me).

gjetost is mostly tangy, but with hints of salty and sweet and a very "milky" flavor. Sorry you didn't like it, it's one of my favorite cheeses, especially served on hot apple pie.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Ahh, I must have had the wrong name, but I swear i remember some goon in another thread somewhere posted a picture of the cheese saying it had a caramel, sweet and rich flavor, which made me excited to try it cause I love the gently caress out of some caramel. Was kinda a downer to get that stuff instead. :v:

No that's what you had. Gjetost has a distinct caramel flavor in all of that.

I make mysost, which is the same method but with cow's milk instead of goat's milk that makes gjetost.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Ski queen is a pretty homogenized brand so I can't imagine it would be all that different

• Locked thread