Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Swonga posted:

Ashley Judd's only chance is if cult for liberty and the tea party remnant join together to rouse sleeping Jim Bunning, dreaming in his city beneath the sea, to consume Mitch McConnell and threaten the Commonwealth with eternal madness. She would still probably lose to that hate demon. Kentuckians always did prefer non-Euclidean geometries.

The only chance we would have at that point is—Iä!—Undead Adolph Rupp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Honestly, her best chance seems to be that a lot of Kentuckians are in an incumbent-punishing mood.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

If Lynn Swann can get crushed as badly in Pennsylvania as he did running for governor in 2006, being an iconic player from a team half the state would die for, then the sports thing may not hold up after all.
Well... it's not that simple or straight forward. Yeah, Lynn Swann was a former Steeler... but he was also explicitly running as the Pittsburgh ticket (which Philly won't vote for), while a Republican (which Pittsburgh won't vote for), while Black (which Pennsyltucky won't vote for - Sorry, Kentucky, I don't know why you got singled out). The idea was to throw up this outsider candidate that everybody would find a reason to vote for, but instead everybody found a reason to vote for Rendell. Plus he took some hardline stances on hot-button issues - once Swann had the pro-lifers and gay righters out there calling him a typical Republican, it was over pretty quick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Running on the dixiecrat ticket?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chokes McGee posted:

I never realized how obvious it was before, but she probably takes the sub when she "winters" in Scotland, surfaces in Loch Ness and sells off all the flax scrip she picked up in Kentucky.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Honestly, her best chance seems to be that a lot of Kentuckians are in an incumbent-punishing mood.

Am I hopelessly naive, or would an ad campaign reminding everyone that Mitch McConnell has spent the last four years vocally trying to sabotage America not help?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dr Christmas posted:

Am I hopelessly naive, or would an ad campaign reminding everyone that Mitch McConnell has spent the last four years vocally trying to sabotage America not help?

I think that depends on how many of his current constituents approve of exactly that sort of petulant obstructionism, and I don't know enough about Kentucky to say one way or the other.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think that depends on how many of his current constituents approve of exactly that sort of petulant obstructionism, and I don't know enough about Kentucky to say one way or the other.

When in doubt, assume the worst.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chokes McGee posted:

When in doubt, assume the worst.

Oh I do; assuming the worst is my default position, but from time to time I do like to give people at least a modicum of chance not to live up to my least expectations. And, since this element of the thread has gone for a bit now and I've not heard an unbroken chorus of "everyone in this state is a screaming tea bagger who cheers whenever a minority child is deprived of subsided school lunches," I'd like to think there's a chance, however slight, that at least not everyone in Kentucky approves of the GOPs now four-year-long and going temper tantrum.

I'd like to think that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good news for Rick Perry: he can probably keep being Governor of Texas for as long as he wants, even though he retired in January of 2012.

Also, since I'm linking to the Tribune, I'll mention that I finished reading Jay Root's book on his time as an embedded reporter during the Perry Presidential campaign. It's titled Oops!, because what else could it possibly be called? It's a fun Boys on the Bus style read. No deep revelations, but "deep" is not a word that can really be used in connection with the Perry campaign.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know if "embedded" can ever be used the same way again unironically after Broadwell-Petraeus.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ufarn posted:

I don't know if "embedded" can ever be used the same way again unironically after Broadwell-Petraeus.

:drat:

At least no one tried to make a ______Gate name out of it, that has some hosed up subtextual connotations to it here

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Magres posted:

:drat:

At least no one tried to make a ______Gate name out of it, that has some hosed up subtextual connotations to it here
The worst thing about that ordeal was leaving the rest of us with the clusterfuck of Brennan's confirmation.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

Good news for Rick Perry: he can probably keep being Governor of Texas for as long as he wants, even though he retired in January of 2012.

Also, since I'm linking to the Tribune, I'll mention that I finished reading Jay Root's book on his time as an embedded reporter during the Perry Presidential campaign. It's titled Oops!, because what else could it possibly be called? It's a fun Boys on the Bus style read. No deep revelations, but "deep" is not a word that can really be used in connection with the Perry campaign.

I interpret this as very promising news for the Democratic candidate. Come on, Rick Perry has to be tonnes weaker than a new unknown Republican.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So does the way the sequester is falling on Republicans make 2014 look a little brighter? I'm stretching for a silver lining here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It would if Republicans were getting most of the blame for the sequester, but now that it's in place, polls are showing that Americans blame both sides roughly equally.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

It would if Republicans were getting most of the blame for the sequester, but now that it's in place, polls are showing that Americans blame both sides roughly equally.

Your corporate media at work, ladies and gentlemen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

There are probably people who take folks like David Brooks seriously. :eng99:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Don't know if it makes a difference that it was an online poll, though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

Don't know if it makes a difference that it was an online poll, though.

Online polls are actually getting significantly better. In the 2012 election, IPSOS/Reuters did quite well and beat out all the robopollers.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Carl Levin's retiring. Michigan is now a potential Republican pickup.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This'll be a very interesting race, especially with Amash making noises on the Republican side.

Conyers is the most prominent Democrat in the state (not counting Dingell who's way too old).

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

This'll be a very interesting race, especially with Amash making noises on the Republican side.

Conyers is the most prominent Democrat in the state (not counting Dingell who's way too old).

Conyers? He's an octogenarian as well. The only name I've heard mentioned as a potential replacement is Rep. Gary Peters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oops! I didn't realize he was that old. With Levin out of the race, I imagine this'll become a lot more attractive for Republican candidates instead of one of them being forced to be the sacrificial lamb. Snyder won't be term limited out of office until 2018, so he'll have to decide if he wants to try for a second term as Governor or run in this race.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Joementum posted:

Oops! I didn't realize he was that old. With Levin out of the race, I imagine this'll become a lot more attractive for Republican candidates instead of one of them being forced to be the sacrificial lamb. Snyder won't be term limited out of office until 2018, so he'll have to decide if he wants to try for a second term as Governor or run in this race.

The Democratic nominee is very likely to be Gary Peters and the Republican bench blows; there's an argument Amash is actually their best candidate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good point! And I forgot how pathetic the Hoekstra attempt was this year. He lost by 20 points, which is more than can simply be accounted to Yellow Girl.

Another interesting question is if a Levin retirement opens the door further to filibuster reform in 2015, especially given the events of the last month. Of course, that's easily a moot point for the Democrats in 2015.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Snyder is deeply unpopular around the state, that won't help any republican trying to run for the seat. The michigan GOP is one of the most extreme state parties in the country.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Called it on page one, y'all.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm a bit worried about Carl Levin (D-MI) retiring. I had the pleasure of meeting him over the summer and he was incredibly warm and personable. My only problem is we still haven't gotten a copy of the photo we took with him for N+1th Doctor's baby book.

On the other hand, according to this article, the strongest candidate to replace him is my current Congressman, Gary Peters. I met him as well, and did get a copy of the picture. He and his staff were incredible and helped us to get in to the House Galleries and snag a short-notice tour of the Capitol Building. On the day of the Democratic primary. I made sure to give them a congratulatory phone call the next day when he won the primary.

Gary Peters getting the big promotion could also open up the Michigan 14th to another run by Hansen Clarke who lost his seat due to Republican-led redistricting which caused his home to end up in 13th district and his constituency in the 14th. Given that the 14th district includes Detroit and has a PVI of D+27, anyone winning the D Primary is going to get elected.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Snyder is deeply unpopular around the state, that won't help any republican trying to run for the seat. The michigan GOP is one of the most extreme state parties in the country.

I just posted the results of a PPP poll in the Michigan RTW thread. Two of the three Democrats they used in the poll against Snyder did better than he did, and they're not interested in running for Governor. I think Peters will go for Senate though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As a Michigan resident who went to college on the west side of the state, I hope beyond all hope that both Pete Hoekstra and Justin Amash run for the Senate. It's going to be comedy gold with those guys out there, trying to out-jackass one another. It's a true battle of the titans.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Any chance that his embarrassment in the presidential race could see him losing to a Democratic challenger?

Joementum posted:

On the bright side, it seems that the people who blame Democrats solely are in the extreme minority. So it isn't all bad?

Hopefully the Democratic machine is in high gear for 2014.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Any chance that his embarrassment in the presidential race could see him losing to a Democratic challenger?

On the bright side, it seems that the people who blame Democrats solely are in the extreme minority. So it isn't all bad?

Hopefully the Democratic machine is in high gear for 2014.

Perry's machine basically runs the state because any available appointments, he made quickly, and they're all his cronys.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nonsense posted:

Perry's machine basically runs the state because any available appointments, he made quickly, and they're all his cronys.

Oh, I realize that Perry is your prototypical corrupt politician. I am just wondering if being a national embarrassment might damage his stock enough to give a challenger a chance.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Oh, I realize that Perry is your prototypical corrupt politician. I am just wondering if being a national embarrassment might damage his stock enough to give a challenger a chance.
I read somewhere (probably Burka, who is always fellating whatever Republican's in office in Austin) that Perry's massive crash in statewide popularity has actually started to rebound. Nothing would surprise me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good news from Minnesota, Norm Coleman is not going to run for US Senate in 2014.

We're still waiting to hear if Lizard People will reprise their 2008 campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Apparently Scott Romney, Mitt's older brother, is considering a run for Senate in Michigan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Apparently Scott Romney, Mitt's older brother, is considering a run for Senate in Michigan.

It's like BSG where they find out their newfangled fighters get all hosed up so they go fly the older model.

And those blow up just fine anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

So much for the Dems worrying about losing that seat.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

mcmagic posted:

So much for the Dems worrying about losing that seat.

To really follow tradition, Ann needs to lose that race. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

What is his position on Michigan tree height?

• Locked thread