Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm excited for this.

Every piece of information on the gameplay, core systems, port, everything has me excited. The only things that bother me are the death scenes, and the one assault trailer.

However, I didn't like the death scenes in RE, or Dead Space either, yet still liked them because I enjoyed the gameplay. I highly doubt that if this game is good they'll detract much from the experience, and am not enough of a social justice warrior to throw a fit about it. I hate them all equally, but I can see why they got put in, so whatever.

As for the assault bit, eh. I can see where it comes in as a literary device, and I trust Rhianna Pratchett enough that I believe it won't be turned in to pandering. And if it does, I can just turn off my brain during the story bits, and continue bowing guys down.

And yeah, games like this don't get made often for PC. Uncharted Batman Far Cry 3? Sure, I'll take two. Especially when the devs are currently 4/4 for quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I gathered the bolded part myself, but have they done anything other than A:CM? If they were passed off a problematic project with little money or time to finish, I find it hard to imagine that's truly their fault.

They made the Kohan series, the FEAR expansion packs, and the Section 8 games.

Honestly, from all accounts they aren't a bad studio. The Kohan games were some of the best RTS games of yesteryear, and the multiplayer of both Section 8 games was remarkably well done. Yes, the singleplayer was less then steller, but it was never meant to be the focus of those games, and they've said as such. Heck, for something they've said they barely worked on, the Prejudice campaign is actually really good, and several times better then A:CM, proving they can pull it off.

I'm not really sure where he's going with that comment. From all the info that's come out on A:CM, it's currently pointing towards Gearbox and Sega as the problems, not TG. And considering Prejudice is actually a good game in both single and multiplayer, and A:CM takes no cues from that, while DNF was a shitheap, and all the design decisions of A:CM pull from that same sheet, I'm going to believe it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, this game has the worst QTEs.

I've done the stupid assault one at least 5 times now, and I'm getting fed up with it. It wants me to do jaggy danger symbol, jaggy danger symbol, skull symbol, left to right, then maybe another skull symbol.

Oh, it's not going to bother telling me what those symbols actually are mind you. It's some variation of space, lmb, e, q, and f. Apparently when they showed them off right at the beginning I was supposed to pay close attention to that poo poo and get it memorized, because gently caress you, it's never appearing again.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I think there'll be more of a divisive response once more people have played further into the game, probably. I could definitely see spots where people would be dissapointed. Personally, I think the way the game treats killing is far more interesting, but it's still a discussion that's warranted by the game's content.

I think it's somewhat interesting, how so far Lara legitimately seems to enjoy killing people in her internal monologues, but the second she talks to anybody else, she acts all mortified at what she's doing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:psyduck:

I logged back on this morning, and it seems my shadows are operating in 16bit color.

Everything else is fine, just every time I go into a cave, everything gets washed out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I love how I just built a loving AK47 out of salvage and an old WW1 SMG.

It really is ol' reliable.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DangerKat posted:

After the first hunt for food, aren't all future animal kills just to net more salvage parts? As in, mechanical salvage parts? I don't care if it is logically inconsistent, that just makes me laugh so much if it is true.

To be fair, it could easily be handwaved away as needing string/fiber/bone, as quite a few of the bow upgrades are obviously not made from mechanical parts.

But yeah, since it's a generic pool, you use that deers meat to upgrade your AK.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

One of the brawler upgrades has you kneecap an enemy then gouge out their throat. Lara's not an innocent, she just never had an excuse. :catstare:

Yeah, I really like that they seem to be going for the Lara is a loving sociopath. She just doesn't know it yet. thing rather then the She's just trying to survive man! pull they originally were going with.

It makes this much more thematically consistent with the rest of the series.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

Also "OH NO I KILLED A MAN!"

"HEADSHOT! +15XP!"

There is some serious dissonance between the story tone and the xp system. I kind of think they should have dumped per animal xp. And they definitely shouldn't have the KILLING SPREE COMBO KILL type cod4 messages.

I'd actually argue otherwise, that the tone is just right.

She never actually stops and mentions that she's sad she killed a person. In fact, when Roth tells her it must have been hard, she says the exact opposite, that it was rather easy, and that scares her. As the game progresses, she gets more and more used to killing, and her quotes reflect the fact that she enjoys the control it gives her.

The only time it's ever mentioned indirectly that she might not enjoy the killing is the assault QTE, and even then, it can be panned away as the shock of the event itself, and how close it was. But after it's over, she says it was easy for her to pull that trigger.

While yeah, a lot of bad stuff happens to Lara throughout the game, the overall theme seems to be that at our worst moments, we discover who we really are, and Lara is a killer, not that this is what happens to normal innocent girls who get trapped on hellholes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ymgve posted:

Is there any obvious point of no return where you can't go back to collect the stuff you missed?

Yes.

Its called the Point of No Return. ( with the popup saying "Hey, last chance." )

e: After the game ends though, it let's you continue from that point to finish collecting everything.

ee: Just beat it. Took 6 hours according to Steam. That's with me doing every optional Tomb, and not dying all that many times. However I did skip most of the collections, and at the two major openended areas of the game, decided to keep moving forward for more story rather then messing around with the rope arrows. Had I gone for all the collectibles, I probably could have eked out 8, as I'm pretty sure that's around 6.5 hours.

I liked it quite a bit. The story started somewhat strong, and fell off as it went along, but I didn't really mind that much, my big issue with it wasn't the whole Lara is weak stuff, but rather they build up all this anticipation towards the Oni, the storms, and Himiko, then in the end don't really do anything with it at all. It also didn't feel supernatural enough I guess to make up for that, I was expecting Himiko would be dead, and the Japanese/Axis made a weather center there that was loving everything up, but instead nope, magical lady right at the end. I guess it wasn't enough for me either way, had their been more explanation I would have been happy, or if they had more mystery I would have been happy, as is, it felt like it straddled the safety line a bit to closely, satisfying neither.

All the major story beats/twists were obvious miles away sadly, and it really felt like they didn't trust their audience to catch things. The storms being connected to the island was obvious really early on, and it felt like Lara figured it out as well, yet halfway through the game she suddenly sat down, looked really puzzled then figured it out. The Himiko soul vessel stuff was even worse, she had the entire game to figure it out, yet only did right at the end. I mean hell, she basically spelled it out earlier in the game, then shrugged and moved on. Same with the Whitman stuff, it kept getting brought up over and over again, to make sure we got the point, right before he does his thing, and suddenly everyone in the game is very surprised by it.

Still, even with all that bitching, I really enjoyed it. The combat wasn't anything special, but at the same time, I had some tough spots with all sorts of enemies attacking at once, which forced me out of my comfort zone for third person shooters. I liked all the collection stuff, and if I didn't have a backlog the size of an island, I'd probably go back and grab most of it, just for the history lessons. I liked the optional tombs. And I hope they get a chance to make a sequel that expands on what they accomplished with this game.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 6, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think my favorite part of the game was near the end, when you suddenly start fighting samurai, that charge you with katanas.

While you have an assault rifle.

It goes about as well as you'd expect for them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Revitalized posted:

That was actually a big surprise that I really liked. I thought they were gonna be tough as balls or something because of their supernatural link, but I popped one in the gut with a pistol and was like "Oh!" and then went to town ramboing the poo poo out of everything because superior modern firepower owns bones. Although at this rate, how did the world war 2 research party fail to contain the situation? Everyone had a machine gun or shotgun or pistol I'd assume! And there were many of them as evidenced from the corpses on the island! Hell, why were the Solarii so scared of the dudes?

Well the Oni were a pretty big threat, and seemed to not give a poo poo about gunfire. 2-5 of those at once in a small space like a bunker would likely be pretty bad.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

Lara Croft that character is not/should not be a heartless cold murder machine. She's a survivor and explorer, strong, capable and all that, but doesn't get off on killing hundreds of people. In the gameplay, you play a character that's a sociopathic mass murderer.

That does not match up with the cutscene Lara who is really only concerned with saving her friends and getting off the island. Sure, she's realizing she's a strong person and a survivor - a superstar as you say. That's great and totally appropriate for her character. And wanting to avenge her mentor and friends as well. But that's also very different than realizing she likes the murderin'

Did we play the same game?

When Lara killed her first human being, she barely cared. She had maybe 5 seconds of shock, then shrugged it off, and proceeded to keep killing. When her moral compass tried to comfort her, she said it didn't matter, it was actually easy.

When she gets told she has to do something impossible, her response was almost always a few seconds of working herself up for it, then going off and doing it.

After getting the poo poo beaten out of her by the environment/people, she gets right back up, finds a weapon, and then kills them. No "Oh gods!" "Oh how can I do this!", just straight "Sweet, I have a pistol, time to kill more people."

Her response to the death of her friends is always the same, she's going to kill the entire island as revenge. No self pity, just revenge, that's her answer.

At no point during the entire game is she actually portrayed as weak. Squeamish and unwilling to slice up a deer? Sure. Having a really really bad day? Sure. But the thing is, after every bad thing, she responds to it with anger, violence, and Rambo levels of determination. At no point does she have to sit and justify what she's doing, she's going to murder her way through this island, gently caress the rest.

That's why I'm curious when people say they have this major disconnect. At no point do they push Far Cry 3's "What have I become!" nonsense. The narrative from the very beginning is "In your darkest moments you see what you really are." and in Lara's case, she's a "Croft" ie a sociopath/rambo/action hero. I'm getting the feeling people are taking the scenes of her getting beaten up by the environment, and taking them as demasculating ( defeminating? ) her, thus making her weak. They don't. She doesn't bitch and moan that she got beaten by a rock, she gets up, walks it off, then kills more people, gently caress that noise.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

But here's the thing: you kill like 700 people during the game. That's crazy levels of shooting. I don't think they are trying to show that Lara is a sociopath - they want to make her an action movie badass sure, but not someone who can't wait to mow down 25 more dudes.

I don't mean to say she's a shirking violet at all. She's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and save her friends. But the amount of combat in the game doesn't fit the narrative. It would have been much more effective to have much, much fewer enemies, have each one be extremely dangerous and really make the player work to survive.

Also I'm very amused that this cult on a deserted island is apparently the size of a small army. Seriously, how many of them are there?

Oh, on that I readily agree. There are way to many dudes on the island for both the narrative ( it's a cult made up of shipwreck survivors. Where the gently caress are they all coming from. ), and the gameplay ( you're not so much surviving as you are mowing down a small army of exp bags. )

I thought you were going for the Brad/Patrick "she's presented as really weak, and then suddenly she murders everything." when yeah, she's presented as a Croft, and then just escalates from there into Action Movie/Rambo tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Uh, where specifically do they say Tomb Raider is below expectations?

Last I checked, they just said "some properties" were. It was obvious at the time that meant the FF MMO and the FF series in general ( and a bunch of other things on the Square side of things. ). I know a few people in the SE thread started saying this must mean TR/Sleepy Dogs/Hitman, but was that ever sourced?

Hell, didn't we already do this dance? A few months ago Sqaure mentioned they were having some issues with a few key franchises and everyone thought they meant Sleepy Dogs. It wasn't until Square/United Front came out and said no, Sleepy Dogs did amazingly well, we are talking about FF here did it simmer down.

• Locked thread