Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Goddamn, $370k now and 3 people have already taken 3 of the 12 $10k+ pledge bonuses. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
This game is going to be already fully kickstarted before I'm even done with the kickstarter details :drat:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's a super interesting concept and the art looks great, so I went for $20. I think it's cool to have an actual pen & paper writer be the creative lead. Looking at his Wiki page, he's also worked on Dark Sun and Ravenloft, so loving sold. I might be wrong, but it must've been at least a decade since that happened with an RPG? Either way, it at least speaks well for the writing.

When I was a little kid, I read all the Dark Sun and Ravenloft books that I could. I liked those so much better than Dragonlance. I still totally read the Dragonlance books, but my favorites were those two.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is this going up faster then W2 did?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

If the news was just that "they're developing the game, so be sure to look out for it in 2014 and buy it," then gently caress yeah I'd be super stoked. But now they're allegedly going to be asking for money, again, before the first project that they asked money for is out. And the complexity of this game is, per expectation, much more complex in terms of writing and interactivity and character development than other things they've done.

I think that is completely true for somebody who is creating/designing a game or story environment but not so much for somebody who is primarily an Executive Producer / Business Dev. guy.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

CrookedB posted:

And it's on! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

I'm in for $20, and I'm really curious to see how high it can go.

For fucks sake, Fargo. Like 5 of the earliest updates for Wasteland 2 Kickstarter were already basically "Brian Fargo's publisher opinion status: Still hate 'em! :thumbsup:" and now like a quarter of the new Kickstarter's introduction video is a segment about how publishers are babies and tells nothing about the kickstarter project itself.

I'll still donate hundreds, probably. It's just that after that video, that's not a decision that makes me feel like a smart person.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zilkin posted:

Same here. When I first heard about this I was pretty 'meh' about it, but everything I've heard since has increased my excitement levels. I really like the story tidbit they released with the Changing God and you being one of his many cast off bodies, seems very similar to the TNO and his countless forgotten lives. Certainly a good base to build intresting stories on.

Edit: Also I have to say that I really like the concept art they have shown us. Really like the style and 'mood' it has.

I'm not really hot about them sticking *this* close to Torment's story, but eh. We'll see.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tunahead posted:

For fucks sake, Fargo. Like 5 of the earliest updates for Wasteland 2 Kickstarter were already basically "Brian Fargo's publisher opinion status: Still hate 'em! :thumbsup:" and now like a quarter of the new Kickstarter's introduction video is a segment about how publishers are babies and tells nothing about the kickstarter project itself.

Don't read his Twitter feed.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
If you're CEO of a mid level games studio, publishers are basically hitler. You'd hate them too.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gave them my $20.

I hope we get a kick starter for that theoretical Baldur's gate 3 where you go around the planes getting followers to power up your godhood.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Megazver posted:

I'm not really hot about them sticking *this* close to Torment's story, but eh. We'll see.
I don't know I like how its similar but its a twist of P:T's plot. Instead of finding out why the protagonist has no memories and can't die we're trying to help the protagonist find meaning in his/her life and whether them gaining sentience was worth it. It feels like a spiritual sequel should be in terms of themes and the like.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
I have basically no faith this can live up to Torment, but I'd be very happy with an above-average CRPG or even flawed-but-interesting, so, yeah, backed.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

DrManiac posted:

I hope we get a kick starter for that theoretical Baldur's gate 3 where you go around the planes getting followers to power up your God Hand.

This could be the single greatest achievement mankind has ever achieved...

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I have basically no faith this can live up to Torment, but I'd be very happy with an above-average CRPG or even flawed-but-interesting, so, yeah, backed.

This is pretty much the attitude I always go into these things with. Even if the product ends up average it's still worth $20 to play a game is a genre that's pretty much dead.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, I imagine the whole cast off thing is a very purposeful throwback to the first game. A hypothetical Torment III (who would have every dreamed I'd be writing THOSE words?) would presumably go in an entirely different direction. I think it's just a way of helping make the transition to it being a new franchise.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Alkanos posted:

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think too many fans already have a nice chunk of change invested into kickstarter projects and will be hesitant about going back in with a company that hasn't even released their already cleared kickstarter.

Welp. Since they seem to have made almost 50% of their goal in a few hours, my foot is firmly in my mouth. :v: And a good portion of the country isn't even awake yet I'd bet. By this evening it'll probably have made goal.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Thanks guys. It's been nerve-wracking as hell, hardly slept a wink, but it's going well so far. Shoot me any Qs you might have.

And yes, the story does hook into Planescape: Torment's in several ways. Too close? It's always a balance to strike, but in my personal opinion I really like the way Colin found some clever hooks (including your relation to your followers) while not making it a carbon copy.

Mordaedil posted:

Sounds cool, but I wonder if that means we're locked in character generation to a specific gender again.

We'd like to offer gender choices but if we do we'd also like to ensure the world properly reacts to it, as appropriate to each individual/faction, plus there's localization costs. Just making it a cosmetic choice doesn't really cut it for us. We'll talk more about this in a future update though.

Fintilgin posted:

Is this going up faster then W2 did?

Yes. It might be going faster than PE did. Which is mind-boggling. It'll probably top out more steeply than WL2 or PE did tho', so I still don't expect it to end quite that high, but who knows.

Tunahead posted:

I'll still donate hundreds, probably. It's just that after that video, that's not a decision that makes me feel like a smart person.

Heh. We thought a callback to the publisher sketch and the red boots DLC would be funny, but the rest of the video and the entire KS body are just straight talk, facts about the game and team.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Count me in.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This whole thing is making me so happy already. Even if the game turns out to be complete and utter garbage, just having this day in my mind dedicated to a sequel to one of my favorite things ever is enough.

(please let the game be awesome though)

Hey Brother None! I pledged 95$, do I get any kind of upgrade for having a PS:T tattoo? This is more of a joke question but maybe not. You decide.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

I threw my money at the project before even reading what the rewards were. Now I just need to time travel to 2014/2015 so I can play all of my pledged projects :smith:

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
450k hit! They have already reached 50% of their minimum target in just couple hours.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Brother None, congratulations for you and the rest of the team, it looks like things are going as well as they could, and you're going to get a lot more than what is needed for the barebone game in itself.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Brother None how does it feel seeing the numbers rise so fast? Also since you are probably going to hit that 900k in just few hours when will see some stretch goals?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

Brother None posted:

We'd like to offer gender choices but if we do we'd also like to ensure the world properly reacts to it, as appropriate to each individual/faction, plus there's localization costs. Just making it a cosmetic choice doesn't really cut it for us. We'll talk more about this in a future update though.

Throw me in as someone who would like a gender choice. I actually really liked how Mass Effect handled it (gender made essentially no difference aside from voice acting) but I get that that might not make as much sense for this setting.

And congrats! Is this the fastest kickstarter ever?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Planescape : Torment is pretty much the best video game ever made, so in a way i don't think this game will ever be able to live up to expectations, but everything i have read sounds good, and i simply love the original so much that i pledged for the 110$ tier.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Wow, ok those first minute and fifty seconds really should have been cut from that video.

that was painful to go through :negative:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I liked watching the ticker go up on the side as the video played. In for $20.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I can't figure out how much I want to pledge. $25 at least. $45 would get me Wasteland 2. $65 and I can get the physical box, would look good next to the original Planescape box. Tough call.

Question though on the Physical/Digital tiers. If I were to pledge $125 + everything (that is checked) up to the $90/$110 level? Sorry, confused how this all works.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 6, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Brother None posted:

Thanks guys. It's been nerve-wracking as hell, hardly slept a wink, but it's going well so far. Shoot me any Qs you might have.

Are there any stretch goals or are you guys waiting until you hit 900k before revealing them?

Also, congrats :toot:

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 6, 2013

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
Woo emptied wallet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

80 bucks in. With the gifts I chucked at Infinitum and my upcoming lack of work for a few weeks, that was about all I could manage.

Edit: Just realized I hadn't actually read most of the Kickstarter description. About time I got on that.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
How long has the kickstarter been up? 2 hours? maybe 3? Already over halfway there. :D

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Gravel Gravy posted:

I can't figure out how much I want to pledge. $25 at least. $45 would get me Wasteland 2. $65 and I can get the physical box, would look good next to the original Planescape box. Tough call.

Question though on the Physical/Digital tiers. If I were to pledge $125 + everything (that is checked) up to the $90/$110 level? Sorry, confused how this all works.

$125 gets you all of the Digital items (up to that reward point) and none of the physical. $250 would get you the physical collectors edition.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Zilkin posted:

Brother None how does it feel seeing the numbers rise so fast?
Crazy.

Zilkin posted:

Also since you are probably going to hit that 900k in just few hours when will see some stretch goals?
Yip. We didn't expect anything like this but we did a lot of prep work for stretch goals just in case, and should be ready with updates when we hit 900K.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Easiest is to check the graphical representations of each tier see exactly what they contain, digital and physical. It depends on what tier you pick.

Kvitrafn
Jul 16, 2012
There goes my money! I gladly sacrificed hundreds of you for this!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tell Brian that we get it, but he should probably ease up on the RARGH PUBLISHERS stuff at this point.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm in for $45, because this is what I've always wanted and I never got in on the Wasteland kickstarter because I'm awful or something.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Megazver posted:

Tell Brian that we get it, but he should probably ease up on the RARGH PUBLISHERS stuff at this point.

Well, we wanted to do a callback, but it's not the focal point of the pitch. The focus is mostly on "this is what we want to do".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brother None posted:

Well, we wanted to do a callback, but it's not the focal point of the pitch. The focus is mostly on "this is what we want to do".

No, really. It should be let go. It comes across as sort of unhealthy fixation. Three million for W2, and god knows what for Torment speak far more eloquently then goofy sketches.

Of course, I found the original sketches a bit painful too. Leave the comedy to Tim Schaffer. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This madness! I went out shopping and by the time I got back not only was the Kickstarter halfway there, but all the earlybird boxes had gone. I jumped in and grabbed one when someone moved off, but hell, this is going insanely fast. Congrats Brother None!

• Locked thread