Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brother None posted:

We're still experimenting with the loot drops but I think the best answer to that is "it's a mix", it depends on the needs of design as well as just what "makes sense" for a given item or container.

That makes a lot of sense, and it's pretty much the way I handle it when I GM games. Handplacing everything in a videogame seems like it would be an awful lot of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes, generally making a video game involves an awful lot of work.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hah. Fair point. I meant more work than is necessary.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Have y'all seen our latest Kickstarter update and accompanying gameplay video of a Crisis scenario?

And, for alpha backers, the third AST is out!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
There are basically two upcoming games that I'm more excited about than any other, one is CD Projekt's Cyberpunk and the other is Torment. Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate that everything's really coming together, and the way you're doing the combat, giving the in-combat decisions some actual weight, really feels like something that could set it apart.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

There are basically two upcoming games that I'm more excited about than any other, one is CD Projekt's Cyberpunk and the other is Torment. Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate that everything's really coming together, and the way you're doing the combat, giving the in-combat decisions some actual weight, really feels like something that could set it apart.

Not really the thread for this, but has there been any new on cyberpunk since that trailer ages ago? There were a couple Behind-the-Scenes videos they put out as well, but it seems like mum's the word since then.

For actual content: I like that you can stop in the middle of combat to have a conversation to try and influence the way things are going to go and that it can even stop combat altogether. Choices in combat are a really neat way of handling different situation instead of just killing mans to get the macguffins.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

pakman posted:

Not really the thread for this, but has there been any new on cyberpunk since that trailer ages ago?

I'm not expecting any big reveals until the next big gaming conference.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm really liking what they're doing here. Was there any other game that tried this approach before? I can't think of any.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

pakman posted:

Not really the thread for this, but has there been any new on cyberpunk since that trailer ages ago? There were a couple Behind-the-Scenes videos they put out as well, but it seems like mum's the word since then.

CD Projekt's been really quiet about it, except that a few days ago they said it's going to be their biggest game by far.

omeg posted:

I'm really liking what they're doing here. Was there any other game that tried this approach before? I can't think of any.

Yeah, I can't really think of any either. Even Planescape: Torment didn't attempt it, most of the combat there was just trash mobs with a few story-based boss fights here and there. So I'm definitely excited to see how that's going to play out through the entire game, at the very least it should keep combat interesting and engaging. As much as I love Pillars of Eternity, since they added the AI-based auto-combat I've been using that exclusively since there isn't any reason for me to actively engage during combat anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

omeg posted:

The nuts and bolts are different but Fire Emblem for instance does a lot of things where you have to do weird poo poo in the environment or talk to characters at certain times to change the outcome of the battle.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Continues to look fantastic, Brother None. At this point, I have no doubt that it's going to turn out great when it's done. It's just a matter of waiting now.

Hakkesshu posted:

The nuts and bolts are different but Fire Emblem for instance does a lot of things where you have to do weird poo poo in the environment or talk to characters at certain times to change the outcome of the battle.

Yeah, Fire Emblem, or even the demon conversation system from SMT are good touchstones. I can't think of anything like that in a cRPG though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Undertale is kind of like it, in the sense that you can play the whole game by just talking enemies down instead of fighting, certain events you can do earlier in the game can affect a fight too.

It's got a Dragon Quest/Earthbound system though so it definitely doesn't have the environmental stuff that Torment 2 looks like it will have.

Definitely agree that it looks like coming along really nicely.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Really excited by that footage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Having watched a play-through of the entire crisis now, as it has really no story in it beyond the video in the update, I'm going to nitpick for the greater good.

I've seen a lot of people saying that the UI is terrible and too big. I actually disagree. It seems hard to imagine that there'd be a particularly neat way of giving all the options (effort, pool, and focusing on accuracy or damage) that they want. The current thing seems functional, if not beautiful at this stage. In terms of the dialogue box, I really like it. It doesn't bother me that it takes up half the screen, it's pretty, and this is a game fundamentally about reading anyway.

That said, I still think the colours they're using for the pools are fundamentally unattractive. It's not even that they're bad colours in of themselves, it's just that the way that they look placing them around the portraits in combat doesn't work for me. They're fine in the dialogue window in their barchart form and in tooltips. Added to that, I don't think that portraits for the characters are good either. Maybe they're still WIP, but (Callistege's particularly) look like they're just screenshots of 3D renders slightly prettied up. Fairly or not, I can't help compare them to Pillars' hand painted ones, and they come up seriously lacking.

The world design is good, a mishmash, but an appropriate one, given the setting. The only things that niggled me are the electro-bridges that Qorro fiddles with and the tar spout. They look wrong. Something about their perspective seems off in a really disconcerting way. The bridges don't look straight and I couldn't tell whether the tar spout was meant to be sitting on the water, or floating in the air based on the background. If it's the former, it looks too high, if it's the latter it needs a shadow.

Edit: One last thing, the log is pretty confusing. Might be better to say "X rolled Y against Z's target number Q" rather than "X rolled Y vs. Z difficulty Q". It's pretty hard to parse as it is.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 9, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

...Your project director leaving halfway through your project is never a good thing. And that was a really weird resignation update.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is a little odd, but with the beta coming this year it sounds like the game is pretty close to being done, and so having another take over is not that big of a deal.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

CottonWolf posted:

...Your project director leaving halfway through your project is never a good thing. And that was a really weird resignation update.
It did not sound much like a resignation at all with the bit about not knowing what he was going to do next. Resign before you are fired now that the other guy is finished with the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut appearing on consoles.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Oasx posted:

It is a little odd, but with the beta coming this year it sounds like the game is pretty close to being done, and so having another take over is not that big of a deal.

"Beta" and "close to done" don't necessarily go hand in hand. They "intend" to get the beta out this year and are unwilling to give a final release window, which suggests they have quite a lot left to do. And swapping project directors could be bad no matter what stage your title is at. It implies serious problems behind the scenes and that they're bringing in someone they think can fix them.

And have they said what form their beta will take? Will it be a vertical slice like Pillars or the first half of the game like Wasteland 2?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Yeah, based on how the post was worded it definitely doesn't seem voluntary.

I suspect development is dragging and they're hitting budget limits. Fargo wants it out the door ASAP. Prepare for content cuts.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Airfoil posted:

Yeah, based on how the post was worded it definitely doesn't seem voluntary.

I suspect development is dragging and they're hitting budget limits. Fargo wants it out the door ASAP. Prepare for content cuts.

... or it could be one of the other hundreds of reasons people get shuffled out of a job. This is some chicken little poo poo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

awesmoe posted:

... or it could be one of the other hundreds of reasons people get shuffled out of a job. This is some chicken little poo poo

'The director leaving development mid-production' has historically been one of the biggest indicators that not all is well with a game's development, maybe everything is fine internally but it's a very reasonable concern all the same

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Since not everyone is following the Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1399451

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This wouldn't be anywhere near as troubling a bit of news were if not for the...less than stellar Q/A quality of the big WL2 DC release that really should've released in a more stature befitting state.

That said, I think it is time for Fargo to do something other than highlight favorable WL 2 DC review snippets and pull back the curtain a bit on how things are shaking out with all of their various projects at this stage---if they've tried to jam too much through at once, for too many platforms, it is far better to level with folks sooner than later. I mean, the publisher fist-shaking that carried the day in their initial pitches won't carry any water at this junction going forward when the buck stops with him.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'The director leaving development mid-production' has historically been one of the biggest indicators that not all is well with a game's development, maybe everything is fine internally but it's a very reasonable concern all the same

This. He says he doesn't have another job lined up. This clearly wasn't planned. Who knows what's actually going on behind the scenes, but this definitely isn't a good omen.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Have an early Kickstarter update.

tl;dr Beta coming January 17th. Time to get out of this thread for the foreseeable future, spoilers everywhere!

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
George and Brian play the game for an hour hosted by IGN, available on YouTube, Definitely worth checking out

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I already backed Torment at a level sufficient to get the game when it comes out, but I'm still thinking very seriously about just going ahead and buying the EA version on Steam next week...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

I already backed Torment at a level sufficient to get the game when it comes out, but I'm still thinking very seriously about just going ahead and buying the EA version on Steam next week...

Don't do that. If you want to go that route, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper just to buy the beta as an add-on on their backer management suite if you've already backed. And you get it this week.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Beta is out! 4GB download on Steam.

More companions introduced in the new Kickstarter update as well - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1470873.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Only thing i don't really care for is how ordinary the companions look.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Based on the picture on the Torment facebook page, one of them is literally a ghost. Looks like they get pretty out there.

Edited for spoiler text even though it's just stuff from their advertising.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 21, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And from the sound of it their powers are what make some of them weird like Callistege who fractured herself across multiple dimensions and Aligern who's a tattoo assassin.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For those in the beta, how's the writing? That's really the most important question.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

I did this exact thing after coming into some money, but that's mainly because I had to lower my initial pledge.

Edit: ^^^The writing is interesting, though it is a slow burn at the moment. I haven't had a chance to actually interact with a lot of regular people, mostly fantastic weirdo folks and strange dabus-like characters. I get the feeling it is trying very hard to set up the history of the place you are in and how you, or rather your "sire" and other castoffs changed the first area of the game in the past. It is different from Wasteland 2's writing in that it uses more elaborate prose and terms found in the game this is based on. Don't really know who to trust as of yet or who, if anyone, I should bring along.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 22, 2016

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Went ahead and bought the beta off the official Torment site, because I have no self-control.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I can't play any further than post-intro. Game plays okay-ish if a bit slow for the text-based part, then the first screen with the actual player avatar appears and game stops processing any sort of input so there's no way to progress.

Tried playing it on a different PC and that one only launches as far as black screen with 'feedback' button.

Ah, the joys of beta!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Reminder: betas generally suck and aren't fun to play. Unless you are super into the idea of bug reporting and dealing with lots of crashing and errors, don't play a beta. It is not a finished product.

Edit: Just read the post above this one, for example!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I can't play any further than post-intro. Game plays okay-ish if a bit slow for the text-based part, then the first screen with the actual player avatar appears and game stops processing any sort of input so there's no way to progress.

Yeah, I came across the same issue. Oh well, what I played up to that point was really great and it's got me excited to play more in the future.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, I came across the same issue. Oh well, what I played up to that point was really great and it's got me excited to play more in the future.
The first room with the player in it is known to be very system intensive. Turning all available graphic options down may help. It gets a lot better after that, but the first room takes a lot out of any machine (it's the room with the undulating moving floor).

We will of course optimize in the future, but this does tend to happen more later in the dev cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, I tried messing around with the few graphics options available, resolution and vsync, but that didn't help. That's on a laptop by the way, so wasn't really expecting it to run smoothly or at all. Am much more weirded out by it not launching at all on the PC with an actual graphics card.

Oh well, bug report sent, so time to forget about it until a few patches in now that I've done my bit in providing data for future optimisation. Every little bit helps?

• Locked thread