Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Planescape : Torment is pretty much the best video game ever made, so in a way i don't think this game will ever be able to live up to expectations, but everything i have read sounds good, and i simply love the original so much that i pledged for the 110$ tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am a bit skeptical about Mur Lafferty being brought in as I think she is a terrible writer, but I am sure things will work out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just hope the game is weird, just a little. One of the great things about PST were the companions who were unlike anything we have seen in other games, I don't know anything about the Numenera setting other than is on the kickstarter page, but the concept art makes me hopeful.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about game writers, so none of the writers/authors added have really made an impact on me, but if everyone is happy about them then so am I.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the ME games are great, on the same level as PS:T? No, but very few games are, and I can like both genres of rpg.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The story is the most important bit ofcourse but if possible i prefer the 2D/Project Eternity option. I think it is just that i don't associate 3D with beautiful games, at least not unless you have a monster pc, and i would rather not have an enemy die and then fall through a wall because there is some glitch.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It would be nice if the Numera corebook was a digital addon, i had to lower my pledge and i am not really interested in most of the middle tier digital rewards like companion books and beta access

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
New Kickstarter update and new screenshot, looks really good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/444758?ref=activity

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the first screenshot, but this looks a lot better i think, on the same level as what we have seen from Project : Eternity

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was completely fine with the 100+ hours i spent on completing Baldur's Gate 2, as long as the main quest can be completed in a reasonable amount of time, i don't see why its hurts anyone to have a lot of extra side content..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have no idea what is going on any more.. :psyduck:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Masonity posted:

What's stopping you from playing planescape now? It's still awesome at what it's good at (story) and awful at what it's bad at (combat).

We can all agree that the story is the best thing about the game, but the combat is far from awful..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zore posted:

The combat in Planscape is unremittingly terrible. It manages to be worse than even the fairly clunky Baldur's Gate series, and they're both running on the atrocious D&D 2E chassis converted into a 'real-time with pause!' system which rewards micromanaging the gently caress out of everything and pausing the action every second or two.

If the game had even just been full on turn-based it would have been a massive improvement. And might have even made physical attributes not completely worthless. Though in Torment's case the decision to lock so much stuff behind mental stat barriers while Mages already dominate the combat system and never really give any areas where other types of characters could even do anything a Mage couldn't do sort of show where the design priorities lay. It sure as hell wasn't the mechanics, or combat.

I can agree that Torment's combat is the worst among the IE games, but overall i think it is pretty decent and fun despite its flaws. Also physical attributes are actually really good in combat, apart from a few good spells like cloudkill, being a fighter with top Con and Str makes surviving combat a lot easier i think, especially in a place like the fortress of regrets where you as a single mage have to rely on luck to survive, i generally found mages and spellcasters to be of less use in combat.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The most important factor is probably how good it will be, all the talent is there to make a great game, but that doesn't mean the final product will be on the same level as the original game, though so far everything I have seen looks really good.

Project : Eternity probably has it a bit easier in that aspect..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Focusing on Wis and Int is probably the best for your first run as you get to experience all the story and dialogue. Str and Con makes the combat fun, but that sort of build is best as a second play through..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can kinda understand their point, it annoys me when i have to follow a bunch of websites and blogs just to get information on the game i helped fund, i think updates should at the very least be on Kickstarter. I hate tumblr so it would annoy me if i missed out on updates, but i follow them on facebook so i am sure i won't miss anything, it is just a pet peeve of mine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You are sure this is the corebook? I just find it strange that the page doesn't mention exactly what it is that you can preorder.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GhostBoy posted:

It is. Monte Cook linked it via his facebook. It's the same as the one you get as bonus, if you preorder the print version.

Thanks! Based on what I have heard mention regarding Torment it sounds like an interesting setting, and quite cheap.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

FRINGE posted:

Books should be made of trees. :colbert:

I prefer physical copies as well, but I am not interested enough to pay 60$ for a print version, but 20$ for a digital copy is a good deal I think.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The time limit in Fallout completely ruined the game, but while i am not fond of the game urging you to move on, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Fallout 1, so it should be fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mordaedil posted:

Huh? The time limit in Fallout 1 was pretty generous and you could essentially "trade time" between the first half and second half, albeit the trade-off wasn't big exactly equal, it was probably the best timed quest in video game history.

If you know where you are going there is no problem, but because of the wsy the game works, it is very easy to lose the game simply for going in the wrong direction

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it looks great, i will be very happy if the Final picture is an indication of how the game will look.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am reading through the book now, i haven't really paid much attention to the actual rules, but setting is really interesting. I am looking forward to Torment even more now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One thing that has surprised me so far, is that it in many places has a Lovecraft/China Mieville feel, it is a science fiction setting played as fantasy, but there are a lot of weird/horror parts.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am pretty sure i will love the game either way, but i must admit i will be a little disappointed of it is turn based, i just don't find the sort of gameplay very fun.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The original Torment actually had some of best trash mobs in any IE game. There was that Under Sigil place where those really high level monsters kept respawning, and I have always felt that the IE games lacked the ability to just have an endless amount of combat for fun towards the end of the games.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Currently RTwP is leading by 9 votes, i am surprised how close the voting is.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
While combat wasn't the focus, it was still a good part of the original game, and i think it would have been an overall lesser game with less of that combat,

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Drifter posted:

I think you could easily do away with combat with a theme like this, but you'd have to change the setting a little.

Nobody wishes for combat in a game like Phoenix Wright (or it's at least wildly successful without it), and you can do the same here, except it's always easier to just go "Here's a dagger, click the mouse button to stab someone."

I enjoy the combat instances in games with a setting like D&D or similar that are isometric. But depending on the content and depth of other gameplay systems I could very easily do without it. :shrug:

I am not saying you can't make a game without combat, but i was more saying that i disagreed with the whole idea that combat sucked in PS:T (which is a a weird notion, because it works almost exactly the same as in the BG and IWD games). I think people forget just how much fighting there was to do, of course the story and the characters are what makes it memorable, but even if there was a way to magically remove all combat and have it be an adventure, i think it would make the game worse overall.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zilkin posted:

New kickstarter update is out, and to no one's surprise their targeted release date is now Q4 2015.

I generally don't keep track of release dates, even with the games i help fund, so i was surprised to see that the game was originally supposed to come out in December this year. Not that that is too surprising given how sparse the updates are, but as long as the final game is good, i don't really mind.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
RPS has put the first part of a long interview with the Torment guys online, it is a good read : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/17/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview-1/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

teraflame posted:

Honestly why do people read lore stuff? I would much rather go into the game blindly and enjoy.

Because it adds backstory to the world and gets people excited for the game? I doubt they would spoil anything important that had to do with the story in the game. And for the people not familiar with Numenera, this is great example of why the gameworld is so good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will never understand the people who say that PS:T has bad combat, sure the game is about the story, and there aren't as many options available, but the combat is still really fun, and while somewhat simpler is still as good.
Plus the spells and weapons are very unique, you will never see them in another game. Anyone who hasn't experienced a 25 con fighter is missing out.
Also for those of us who do like the combat, I loved the fact that every time you went to the underhive, the monsters had respawned, allowing you to endless combat at the later stages of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the story is absolutely the best thing about PS:T, but unless you don't like combat in any of the IE games, then I really think you are missing a big part of this game, by avoiding it

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can understand some of the complaints about the combat, the Modron Cube is a true nightmare and there are definitely improvements that i would have wanted. And the high Int/Wis is the best way to play the game on the first run. But i also think people who never do anything else are missing out on a large part of the game. The weapons, spells and monsters are so unique, and fun, that to me it is almost like skipping half the game, just because the combat is good instead of amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Drifter posted:

have they made any announcement regarding their being unable to meet the goal?

They posted something on facebook : "Funding for the Gullet stretch goal has ended, and despite an impressive end push (including $750 from a certain Kevin Saunders as well as a certain Colin McComb) we fell short of the $4.75M goal by about $33K. Thanks for the valiant effort, we'll have more word later!"

Several people commented that they had not heard about this stretch goal, although i am not sure how they could have advertised it better, it was mentioned in several of the backer updates.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that he said upfront that he might speak fast, but that presentation was not the best.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would be curious to hear what the opinion of the novellas are, I love the Numenera world.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Accordion Man posted:

I really like how patchwork and chaotic the whole world looks. If I'm not mistaken isn't it canon that Numenera is a fusion of different worlds slammed together or something like that?

The idea presented in the rpg rulebook is that it takes place a billion years into the future, and there have been at least 8 big civilizations before the current time. Some were big on a galactic level, some ventured into other dimensions, and at least one of them weren't human. The world looks so chaotic because people with incredible power and technology has changed it as they saw fit, and the people around now are at a medieval level of technology and can't make any sense of it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

FRINGE posted:

They made this but I dont know anyone that has looked through it yet:

https://www.montecookgames.com/the-ninth-world-guidebook/

I have it, it is an expansion of areas not mentioned in the core book, it is not aimed at anyone not already familiar with the setting.

They are coming out with a book about the solar system this summer :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would have preferred real time with pause, but I can live either turn based, since combat is apparently quite rare.

• Locked thread