Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rothfuss is an awful goony-rear end author and him being involved with the project significantly dampens my enthusiasm for the game. Name of the Wind is 800 pages of his mary sue omni-talented protagonist bootstrapping his way from street orphan to literally the most important dude in the world with nothing more than his brilliant mind, dashing good looks, prodigal lute playing skills and the power of Logic. His women are also either mysterious unknowable creatures or mother figures. And at the end of one of his many dazzling lute solos, everyone literally stands up and claps :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

I was okay with your post up til here. What's so wrong about people applauding a musical performance? Especially because the scene in question takes place in a tavern specifically for musical performers.

On it's own it doesn't seem so bad I guess, but in the context of story being 'would you believe how amazing this guy? because he's about to get a whole lot more amazing!' it just comes off as a classic shitthatdidnthappen story.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Sounds exactly like the original Planescape: Torment, to me.

Whilst I can't say you're wrong, Planescape's story simply wouldn't have worked without a genius protagonist, The Name of the Wind's plot is basically 'this is the only dude bad enough to save the world!' It's weird-rear end metaphysics and ontology viewed through the perspective of profoundly perceptive cipher vs an adolescent power fantasy about a wicked cool dude.

Daler Mehndi posted:

Charisma at 14, what a scrub.

I thought the context was, 'Here is how awesome I was. Are you writing this down? Okay, here's some more about how awesome I was. Make sure to spell my name correctly, by the way.' However I think we're in agreement about how it all sounds. I might end up being wrong about it in the end, but so far I've assumed that from the way the story is framed, the main character is just a self-agrandizing egomaniac, and we only have his word to go by about whether any of this really happened the way he describes.

I didn't really pick up anything like that in the first book and I haven't read the second, but other authors have fitted far more plot and character development in far fewer words before, if that's what Rothfuss is going for, he had plenty if time to suggest it in the first 800 pages.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 21, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure the plot of Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are "only this dude is bad enough to save the world and he hosed it up and has PTSD now".

Then I guess you didn't actually read it at all because the very first chapter is a guy coming up to Kvothe in his retirement and twisting his arm until Kvothe starts telling his own story. The entire story is either taking place with an omniscient narrator in the present at the inn, or with Kvothe narrating his own deeds in the past.

Kvothe still did all that ridiculous stuff though and most of the book is about his past, and I kinda assumed the current day section was a build up to Kvothe getting back in the game. And I did read the book, up until the section where the book casually introduces a dragon for Kvothe to kill for no reason, decided to call it a day then. Anyway, don't wanna cause a huge derail about A Fantasy Author I Don't Like, so I'll leave the subject now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Twist my arm inExile, I've jumped up from $28 to $39 too, you better reach that second city goal.

Brother None posted:

Notch was in for $10K on the first day :P

So is Notch like the King of Games now or what?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That second screenshot's pretty good to see; whilst I love for all the far-out weird-fantasy concepts the game is going for, keeping it grounded with actual urban domestic areas where people can live, eat and sleep will help cut any surrealness-fatigue and help contrast the game's more crazy-rear end locations. Nice addition Brother None :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I had a really freaky fever dream that looked something like that once.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

With the 200k from Fargo and the other dude, and the 100k or so from paypal, aren't we already at past 4.25m?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, what's up with the ever-increasing final funding sums? Alot of people in this forum (myself included) have been predicting kickstarter fatigue and diminishing returns for InExile, but between Wasteland 2, then P:E and now Torment, the number of backers and level of support is still rising. Is this gonna peak anytime soon or is kickstarter actually becoming a significant participant and funding and publishing?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That sure is a sum of cash they have there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

...I also wonder how many of the people who say they feel TBC is too slow have actually played the pencil-and-paper RPGs (all of which are turn based, bar none) that the IE and other D&D-spawned WRPGs are based on - I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the people who favour RTwP aren't PnP gamers and therefore are approaching things from a purely videogamer perspective.

Whoa wait, so you're saying people are approaching an upcoming videogame ... from a videogamer perspective?? :psyboom:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I imagine the fact that they've just worked on a turn based game and have a fair idea how they could incorporate and tweak elements of it to work for Torment might have something with their final decision. And whilst I'm looking forward to RTwP in Eternity, I do kinda feel sparsely placed turn based would work pretty well for a dense, story heavy game like Torment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The game looks great, hope the writing of the actual game is better than 'find a flag for some guy, casually browbeat him into getting eaten by Cthulu' though.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 18, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't have anything against turn based games in principle, but developers almost never seem to consider how long they actually take to play. I think a reason alot of people prefer RTwP, even if on paper the design is sloppier, is that stuff just happens; every single trash mob doesn't get its own move turn and individually showcased attacks and if you want things to combat can by by pretty quickly

I'm glad combat is going to be a rarity but I doubt InExile are going to go nuts with quality of life design features either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

awesmoe posted:

... or it could be one of the other hundreds of reasons people get shuffled out of a job. This is some chicken little poo poo

'The director leaving development mid-production' has historically been one of the biggest indicators that not all is well with a game's development, maybe everything is fine internally but it's a very reasonable concern all the same

• Locked thread