Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Furism posted:

I don't think it's all very necessary. It feels like some developers were bored while waiting to switch from WL2 to Torment.

What they seem to be saying in the update is that it's a way to allow rewarding people for contributions to the community etc. that aren't necessarily based on giving them money. So instead of ad-hoc upping someone's pledge a tier, they can give someone 100 Numenera Points for e.g. being a good beta tester who reports tons of good bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That video actually makes me almost sad I signed up for a beta test tier. I don't want to spoil the game for myself. Hopefully they will do something similar to Project Eternity and release beta content that is more or less standalone and spoiler-free.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The monster in each vat is the epitome of the corresponding tide. Doing exactly what it wants will attune you strongly to that tide while forcing it to do something different is more likely to slant you towards a different tide.

The idea is to think about what your character would do in that situation, ignoring what the monster wants, and that will determine which tides your character has most affinity for.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Agent355 posted:

As far as this video game is concerned I think the proper way to play them is creating a character in your head and roleplaying as them through the game, for that purpose having warrior in is fine. it's not a 'trap choice' if the character you are interested in trying is some dumb idiot who solves every possible problem with fists.

I judge all rpgs on how well they let me do this. I'm already planning to do multiple playthroughs, if it's a wholly different experience for a dumb jock glaive compared to a tinkering jack or manipulative nano they've done fine, regardless of whether it's less "complete".

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 28, 2017

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

pakman posted:

Haven't read the 236 posts since i caught up on the thread last night. How is the game?

The people far enough in to answer that are too busy playing to answer.

(it's good)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

pakman posted:

Welp game i guess is poo poo. Guess I won't play it now after waiting for my $15 return for 4 years.

It's cool that you base your playing decisions on the shakily-founded opinions of a bunch of people who are too busy posting on a forum to have played the game. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

the black husserl posted:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the game installing on Steam?

I'm stuck on 99% and 1 second left on steam after multiple reboots, wipes, reinstalls etc. This is the only game I've ever seen this issue with after like a decade on Steam. Other games work fine, so I'm wondering if its specific to Torment.

How long are you leaving it before giving up? Someone posted earlier that there are a bunch of tiny files that will take a while to write for some arcane reason.

• Locked thread