Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GetWellGamers posted:

Oh man, new Torment game. Dare I hope to dream? :ohdear:

...But hell, $45 for new Torment and Wasteland 2? How can you say no to that?

That's one thing that was cracking me up about the Naysayers way back in the beginning of this thread (I kinda miss them as long as they don't totally take over the thread). There's a close to zero chance I won't get at least $45 of entertainment out of these two games. I've blown more on mediocre games in steam sales and questionable DLC. I've spent more re-buying games just to have them on Steam. If this token amount helps revive interest in a dormant genre even if the games are only so-so it's money well spent.

A couple of times in the next year I'll buy cheaper pizza or maybe wait for a sale on a game I want. I just compensated for the money I've paid for these two kickstarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GetWellGamers posted:

Hmm... i wonder if they're not spreading their stretch goal tiers a little wide. Half a million a go i a *big* gap, and I remember with P:E there was a lot of excitement because every 100K brought, at the least, a new level in the endless dungeon, and then "major" additions were every 2-300K at most. Plus you could get levels from the facebook likes, and the overall effect was one of constant momentum-building because you'd get something new and exciting o a very frequent basis.

Obviously they're doing okay now, but I think it might hurt them in the middle stretch when people check for three or four days in a row, see they're still 250K from the next goal, and go "welp, they've plateaued, no reason to go any further..."
That is one thing I'm disliking. The tiers seem a bit thin and the stretch goals are a bit wide. The Obsidian one just seemed to have a better momentum.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Satanos posted:

Alright so the 3 million stretch goal sounds incredible and I desperately hope they reach it. I'm also reading more into the Numenera game itself and may actually buy into that as well.
I'd think at this point 3mil is the minimum this project gets. Though Torment may not have the same kind of broad appeal that Obsidian/Project Eternity seemed to enjoy the fans also seem more fanatical. It'll be interesting to see if it drops off (as the diehards are exhausted) or accelerates as more people get interested.

vvv Sorry I guess I should have been clearer. I do understand that the funding mostly happens at the beginning and the end but there was this feeling of accelerating interest with P:E. The pace was pretty brisk even during the lulls. I'm curious if this will be a huge burst of interest that just kinda plods along after the niche fans are burned out. Or if it will capture the more casual fans and keep things trucking along.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 9, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I love that George Ziets is a stretch goal. Now, Richard Garriott needs to have George Ziets be a stretch goal for his project. Every RPG gets Ziets!
The secret is that Ziets is just a brand name now. You might as well get VC Andrews or Tom Clancy on the case.

vv heh edited my post to include Tom just before that post.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Lobst posted:

Nah, if they squished it people would want to know why their goals were so high in the first place. Also, I'm pretty sure they have an effective estimate for how much these features will cost them to develop -- and I certainly want them to stick to that estimate.

It'd be far more reasonable if they split these $500K milestones into individual bits and pieces, maybe at around $100K each. (Seventh novella at $2.1 million, sixth companion at $2.2, and so on.)
I think we're all suggesting this. Nobody thinks that they can just drop the entire goal by 100k or anything.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ok for reference here's the P:E stretch goals

Nice mini goals every 100k-200k to keep different people excited about it. They don't have 500k goals until after 3mil. Just something to keep the momentum going.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 9, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rinkles posted:

Although it's certainly a motivating factor, I wonder how sincere that kind of graduation really is.
How so? As long as they they deliver what they promise on the levels they promise it I don't think anyone is too worried that Barbarian class equals exactly 50k to implement alongside another 50k for Cypher class.

Even if there's features they plan to have no matter what the funding but they include it in a stretch goal to motivate people once again I don't think anyone but the most entitled people would really care. Instead people would actually think them generous if they included features from the list who's goals weren't met.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rinkles posted:

Is there anything wrong with considering the question though?

And please can we drop it with the accusations of gamer entitlement.
Sorry if you thought I was accusing you of acting entitled that wasn't my intention. I'm saying nobody would throw a fit about it (which you're obviously not) unless they were just being ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with considering the question but 'sincerity' implies there is some kind of unsavoury manipulation on the developer's part where I see it as just a way to keep people active and interested.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

How is toughness any worse than AC or THAC-0 stuff, or any other thing I probably don't know about?

I think this talks about toughness? Doesn't seem particularly terrible.
As others have stated it was a feat that looked good to low level inexperienced players but was useless as the game went on. While it wouldn't cripple the player it was there to basically teach you to think about the overall arc of your character.

Basically 'look at this stupid newb that took toughness' baked into the rules which is a terrible thing to do to a player.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Truth be told I don't have a huge problem with 'toughness' it's not like it's the only crappy skill in 2.5 D&D. Admittedly most of my exposure was through NWN2 but there were tons of things that could screw your character much worse. Also tons of things that would let you horribly break the game over your knee (my personal crazy build).

Though some reassurance that this new game doesn't follow in that kind of philosophy would be nice. One of the problems with a fresh start like this is you can easily make the same mistakes.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

01011001 posted:

I've bet 20 bones on worse, to be perfectly honest. Even if it doesn't blow my doors off it'll probably be a serviceable RPG.
Personally I can't wait for Wasteland 2 to come out. Even if it's the greatest game ever made there'll be internet spergs will scream at every little thing that has been changed. Someone has finally gone back and revisited a type of game that has been nearly dead for years but instead of being happy they'll gnash their teeth and tear their garments that it's not some type of wayback machine that instantly makes them feel 13 years old again playing this genre for the first time.

I know when I play these games they won't be as fun as I remember them. I can accept that due to changes in my life and changes with how I perceive games in general will never recapture that magic. But I think they'll be fun enough for $20. I think I'll get at least twice that if there's some serious meltdowns on NMA or some other crazy echobox forums.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mex posted:

The Witcher 3? Is that popular?
The Witcher series has pretty much become the favoured underdog. Not only is it a rock solid series they've shown a real love of the fans and desire to change their games post release in response to criticism. I wonder how long before they become the next Bioware.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Veib posted:

I know the whole thing's a joke, but that still felt like a terrible "well I'm sorry you got so butthurt"-style non-apology.
He just didn't have the charisma to pull of the type of joke they were going for. Just came off as awkward.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Pyradox posted:

The way I saw it he was just being kind of deadpan "how dare they make me apologize for my masterpiece?" kind of ironic. It wasn't particularly funny but then none of the videos so far have been. These aren't comedy writers, much less comedy actors we're dealing with.

I'd be more concerned if it had been Double Fine making those videos honestly.
Yeah they really were shooting for a humorous bloated ego type humour that someone like Phil Hartman would have crushed. They just really really failed the execution.

I'd never even heard of this book until this thread so I have no personal feelings about it but that video was just cringe worthy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I highly doubt he brought his A game to this apology in any case. Maybe jotted some notes down and just winged the rest.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mr Dog posted:

Apologies if I missed this anywhere, but will the Developer Retrospective be available for separate purchase once the game is out? I got the tier that just contains digital copies of Wasteland 2 and Torment, but I'm a sucker for behind-the-scenes stuff like that. Neither game is even really the sort of thing I'm into, but I figure I might as well give it a shot and possibly be pleasantly surprised by it.
You get it with any tier. You're safe.

Reward chart

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

BenRGamer posted:

Welp, Torment's hit the 2.75m Stretch Goal, or at least it's close enough that they've put it up as achieved anyway.
They include the paypal donations as well when they update the chart.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On it's own it doesn't seem so bad I guess, but in the context of story being 'would you believe how amazing this guy? because he's about to get a whole lot more amazing!' it just comes off as a classic shitthatdidnthappen story.
He is an unreliable narrator. Sadly I don't think the actual author knows that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

FRINGE posted:

I'm wanting that 3.1mill mark. Ive never read Rothfuss so I have no opinion on him.
Personally I enjoy the hell out of his books. They're really fun and well written (style wise) but are the pinnacle of gooniness. He unironically has female sex ninjas in it.

Watching that interview and hearing him go off about people peeing on a schedule in Far Cry and how that ruins his immersion is hilarious.

Edit: maybe a bit off topic but there's more humor while the Penny Arcade guy is talking about how in Assassins Creed we need the guards to forget the random murders and don't want him opening a file and tracking the murders because it would impede gameplay......I actually thinks that sounds awesome I'd love it if those types of games reacted that way.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

God, I hope the $3.5 million goal is to not have Rothfuss write for ToN. The Name of the Wind had its problems but it's a decent book as genre fiction goes. The Wise Man's Fear, on the other hand, has a hundred pages of how the teenage protagonist seduces a sex goddess.
That's going to be what the Castoff's Labyrinth is all about. Every time you die you have to impress a goddess with your mad lute and bedroom skills until she sets you free with some magic trinket that she made you just because you're so cool.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Chairchucker posted:

I have heard that Rothfuss's books are really fun, so I am looking forward to him being involved in this game so that parts of the game will have a sense of fun.
The overall stories he writes are compelling and fun romps. I can see him writing a really fun subquest. He just falls into the trap of making his hero the biggest badass that ever strode upon the earth. He also gets a lot of flak for his female characters which I slightly disagree the non-love interest characters that the hero is just friends with all seem fine to me.

Kvote's power creep is ridiculous. Blows Rand Al'Thor out of the water and drat near keeps pace with that godawful Richard Rahl.

There are hints that the narrator is slightly embellishing things BUT (and this is a big but) these embellishments are all supposed to be faulty memory or personal bias and not him just flat out lying about the stuff he pulled. It would have been much better I think if there had been hints he's honestly confused or bought into his own legend or something.

I can see a strong editor or another writer bringing him in line and producing something really good.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Long as you have one person with a clear creative vision and final veto of everything then I wouldn't think it would too much of an issue, particularly if you split the work so the writers are all working on discrete parts of the game rather than all writing the titular player character by committee.

e: Chris Avellone as well? They seem to be trying to assemble quite the writing team for this game. I may have to up my pledge.
Yeah all you need is the guy in charge with a good vision. Watching the making of Deadwood there's a dozen writers in a room just brainstorming and that produced some of the best TV I've ever seen.

There's a difference between a team with a vision and a committee that just wants mass appeal that people are losing sight of.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Brother None posted:

That seems to be the most commonly cited criticism. He's not really involved with the writing of the "hero" for this game tho', so...
Don't get me wrong I have no qualms about any author you choose. Just generally chatting about Patrick Rothfuss's writing style. I think that the vision for this game is spot on and everything else is just painting in the colours.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

This is some serious nostalgic holier-than-thou poo poo right here. There isn't a goonsay or Bobdobs big enough. For older gamers we were a lot younger and our sensibilities were a lot easier to please than they are now that we've :airquote:matured a little. The Golden Age of gaming had just as much boring grindfests and poorly written crap that we do these days, you've just taken the outliers and whitewashed away the rest. Calm down.
I don't want to get into the middle of this particular argument but people just remember games as so much better than they were. I once was pretty much shouted at on another board years ago because someone posted a topic 'Are games getting worse?' and I was the only one in the thread that believed that they really had gotten so much better just within my lifetime. UIs are better, Graphics are better and with some exceptions most games have a least some story as opposed to the majority having a story that could be written on a postage stamp.

Don't get me wrong. I have hugely fond memories of playing games since I could put an atari joystick in my hands but games have gotten so so much better since the early days. For every great game I remember there were 20 poo poo games that tricked me out of my hard won paperroute money. Now it seems like the majority of games I buy and play are at least enjoyable but you talk to some people and all they remember is the fun they had with the good games back in the day.

It's a little sad to me sometimes when I try to go back and play some old game like Dragon Warrior and think to myself how did I put up with this grindy no-story POS back in the day?

Sadly you can have the exact same conversation about Music, movies, TV or even freaking sports. Somehow the gold age of whatever entertainment you were into just happened to hit during that person's formative years.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a fallacy to say either absolute is true, though. There are absolutely worthwhile elements from the past that have been lost and there are many other things that have improved massively since then. Level design is not as big a priority as it was just 10 years ago; you just don't see huge, complex levels of Thief or DOOM anymore, in any games. There are entire genres from the 80s and 90s that barely exist today and are only just now being revived thanks to things like Kickstarter. On the other hand, we've seen many mechanical advances that make playing games way more convenient than it was back then. Design-wise, we see things in modern games that we wouldn't ever have dreamt of 20 years ago.

Point is, it's not a one-way street at all.
Doom? Whenever I tried to play that game back in the day I'd always end up quitting because every level turned into a boring maze where everything looked the same. It wasn't until Half Life that I actually enjoyed a shooter FPS. I'd say most FPS's now adays have vastly better level design. Thief is more memorable to me because it was the exception of the time which is exactly what Drifter was talking about when he mentioned outliers. I'd argue that Dishonored is the modern day equivalent to Thief.

There are of course genres that went extinct or have been on life support for ages now. I always did feel bad for people into point-n-click adventure games. That must have sucked for years.

The average quality of games (IMO at least) has increased in just about every measurable way for me. I don't think I'll ever have the same joys I had twenty years ago playing Contra or Baldur's Gate but it that just means I'm older and that I remember the exceptions to the rule. I couldn't even name 10 of the mediocre games that sat unplayed in my little game box.

Not to say it's exclusively a one way street as you say. Just better on average.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hakkesshu posted:

DOOM is one of the most revered games of all time and still has an active community to this day. There are things that appeal to me about that game that I generally do not see in modern games, even ones from the same lineage like Serious Sam. You can quantify these things and point to the fact that level design has changed in some pretty drastic ways; more specifically that modern games are based in facsimiles of real places rather than abstract mazes, as you call them. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's perfectly reasonable to feel dismayed that very, very few modern games cater to that specific taste. That doesn't mean I'm being biased, since I can point to dozens of games from that time whose level designs were loving awful by comparison, including DOOM 2.
Well I guess if you are a big fan of mazes you are pretty screwed. I'd still say that for the majority of people level design has improved overall.

quote:

It's funny that you mention Dishonored, since that game is absolutely also an outlier in terms of the type of game it is and how complex its levels are.
This was my point. Thief and Dishonored are both the outliers of their day which is why they are memorable.

quote:

That's debatable and most likely unquantifiable. You might have a better chance of going into a store and picking up a game you'll definitely like today, but there are so many more games being made and the barrier to entry for game development is so much higher that it's only natural that the median quality would also be higher in some spaces. I can flip it around and say that you only have to look at 90% of the iOS app store to find the worst, most low-effort pieces of shovelware you'll ever see in your life.
None of this really refutes anything? Budgets have gone up the quality of non-shovelware games have gone up. Just because there's junk that would have been on a '10,000 video games on one CD' or confined to someone's basement in the 90's doesn't really speak to the quality of most releases unless you're casting the widest net possible when talking about 'games'. If my average chance of picking up a fun game at the store has gone up the quality of games have gone up for me and the majority of people.

Jewel Repetition posted:

As for Mass Effect, I didn't play the second 2 games because of bad word of mouth, but the first one had excellent writing. My problem with it was more in the visuals and how scenes were presented.
You've denied yourself some good games because of internet spergs. They're far from perfect but they're great games.

Edit: on re-reading your post I guess how things were presented took a definite nose dive so if that was your issue with the first game that did get worse and maybe not a good buy for you.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
This one has pretty consistently beaten P:E unless every Torment fan is tapped out this thing is definitely going to 4mil.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Kinda on the fence here. I'm on the super cheapskate option and thinking about moving it to $58 to get all the novellas and comic books (don't really care about the soundtrack) but that's more than I'm usually willing to spend on a full AAA game and money's tight since I had to order some plane tickets last month.

Guess I still have a day or so to decide.

edit: I also have tomorrow off of work so I have all day to stare at the options and have them weaken my willpower.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I went to $58. I swear kickstarters are going to bankrupt me. I'm also now eyeing the Divinity one but I think I can wait on that game going on a sale after it's released.

If I would have told myself a year ago that I'd have roughly $175 tied up in kickstarter type games I'd have thought you were insane.

$77 Project Eternity
$25 Wasteland 2 (paypal)
$15 Shadowrun Returns (paypal)
$58 Torment

Also Defense Grid 2 for $15 but at least I got the Xpack out of that already so I feel I got my money's worth. I hope they do finish the sequel as that is supposed to be free for the backers if they ever do get it made. Need to start counting these things towards my game budget instead of thinking them as one off purchases.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 3, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's a bit sad that crafting and Strongholds are pretty much out of reach barring some insane final push. Just disappointing to see them there so high up.

I can live without the Stronghold as it's not really 'Torment' but I would have loved to see their take on such a place. Maybe an X-Pack or something in the future.

And the crafting part certainly sounded like they were going to do something interesting with it. Maybe a kind of Hordiac Cube thing where you could mix and experiment.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 3, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I do think they are mostly in the right order. The big city looks like it'd be a very interesting place to explore. Just a shame all of these things aren't about 500k cheaper so there was a chance of reaching them all. I really do hope the 4mil goal is reached at least though it's seeming unlikely.

Crafting would be my lowest priority goal. I know tons of people love it but it usually just ends up annoying for me as I keep every craftable leaf the entire game just in case I need it for some reason.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Brother None posted:

The order is a bit influenced by our own design prioritization, as you would expect.
Oh I understand. Just wishful thinking. Also I do think it's correct. Strongholds and crafting I just can't see as integral to your game so it makes sense a weird city would be the priority. Interestingly I felt the opposite about P:E where I really wanted a stronghold but didn't really care about the second city stretch goal. I keep trying to think of why that is but can't really come up with a concrete reason.

quote:

4M is starting to look really likely. If the pace per hour we're at now stays steady we'll end up at a bit over 3.8M, but there's no way it stays steady, it will at least double in the final 48 hours. It's looking good for 4M, barring any unforeseen drops.
That's good news. I'd love to see you hit that 4Mil goal.

Edit: thinking about it some more I guess in P:E the second big city is probably going to be somewhat defined by standard fantasy constraints. Even though Obsidian will likely put their own twist on it I've probably seen some variation of their city. A Stronghold in that game is a refreshing change of pace from the regular questing. Whereas I hope Torment's city will just be batshit insane horrors from the deep that will just be fun to explore.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 3, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
[Greater Good Discussion] Tribute is a better real life example. Somebody has a huge army demands you send X gold and Y slaves per year or they'll come and kill everyone.

Do you send these people/goods for the greater good or do you stand by your principles and get everyone killed?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Chairchucker posted:

Why did you jerks mention that extra Numenera source book I didn't already have in my pledge, I had to go and up it.
I'm mildly annoyed they added an extra comic just after I upped my pledge to include all the little book/comic extras.

And by mildly annoyed I mean I sighed and input $64 and upped my pledge again. I just don't understand it I don't really care too much about comics anyway. Certainly not worth $8 for a 12 page book at least.

At least the 3 for $14 isn't a terrible deal though I'll already have 1 of the three in my tier anyway.

Just bleed me a little more until I get divorced you jerks.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zeroisanumber posted:

Welp. The pledge went up $3 grand from the time I got in the shower this morning to the time I put on my pants. If they can keep up that pace, they'll hit $4 million.
They need to roughly double their pace if they're going to hit it. Last I checked they were pulling about 5k+ when they need about 11k per hour.

But I did check when it would have been about 3am in the US so I imagine that's the slowest they're going to do today.

Current trend.

Edit: forgot Paypal which brings it down a little. 8-9k depending on if they hit 100k through Paypal alone. Let's hope the last 24 hours are just crazy.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 4, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Great Rumbler posted:

Trying to derive something at this point from current trends probably isn't really going to tell us much. Project Eternity pulled down $600k in just the last day alone, which is far more than Torment is currently below the $4 million mark. That's the thing, there's just no way to know how that last day is going to be play out. Will it be like Project Eternity and shoot for the moon? Will it be like Wasteland 2 and actually have a slight drop from the penultimate day? I think it all comes down to how excitement those last few stretch goals generate.
Sorry I wasn't trying to say anything definitive just noting where it's sitting and where it needs to go. Watching numbers move about is interesting to me.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

DerLeo posted:

How did they have negative 10k?
From their raw data file
18/03/2013 22:00 2728673
18/03/2013 23:00 2720201

Ouch. Someone pulled out or maybe a big payment was double counted.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

chiefnewo posted:

Really? With all these writers they keep adding and now 9 fathoms of afterlife to explore I was starting to worry I'd never find time to finish it!
Yeah long gone are the days I can easily tuck into a 40+ hour RPG. That's one thing that's worrying me about all the kickstarter old school games that I've put money down on. Unless they're just mindblowing there's a real risk they'll end up in the backlog.

I haven't even beaten The Witcher 2 and I've had that since release.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Megazver posted:

Eh. Most good RPGs are ~40-50 (Gothic 1/2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Mass Effect 2) to ~100 (Skyrim, Fallout 3, Baldur's Gate 2) hours and I wouldn't call any of these games grindy.
Though I don't disagree that 40+ hours doesn't have to be grindy ME2 nonDLC was under 40 hours and that includes the crazy grindy part that was planet scanning. Skyrim/Fallout 3 had plenty of areas that were just filler areas (though the actual content areas easily were over 40 hours).

It's really hard to make any game without some part that someone doesn't find grindy or dull. Sprawling RPGs are even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zurai posted:

I've never seen a player stronghold that I really felt was extremely well-done without it being the whole focus of the game (not that I've played every game or even every RPG out there). BG2's, for example, were either lame or just meh. I don't mind the stronghold being behind the extended story and crafting stretch goal.

VVVVVV They stated one of the possibilities for the stronghold is an airship. They're not talking about traditional "castle in the wilderness" style strongholds.
Neverwinter Nights 2's stronghold was one of the highpoints of the game. You visited it, improved parts of it (which had a visual impact on the area i.e. walls were filled in, more guards with better armour) you'd resolve local disputes and could even give out little quests to a band of adventurers that wandered through.

Then after all that you'd fight a battle on the ramparts which was more or less difficult depending on the strength of your castle. Though it wasn't perfect it was simply a great place to visit and wander around in in between quests.

• Locked thread