Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Page Downfall posted:

Basically I want game like PS:T, but I don't really want another PS:T, and that is exactly how this project is being presented. I think that's why it has the Torment franchise attached to it. I'm not alone in this either, this is essentially why it's such a well loved game, and it sounds like these guys know that. In the case of Torment it's not about recreating the combat and spellcasting experience or revisiting beloved locations and characters at all, it's about recreating the storytelling experience and the way you interact with the world.
Yeah theyve been very clear about this, the reactionary hate seems a little silly.

It also seems like people are not familiar enough with Fargo/Interplays history in the games world.

quote:

The company was founded in October 1983 as Interplay Productions in Southern California with Brian Fargo as CEO. The first employees were the programmers Jay Patel, Troy Worrell, and Bill Heineman who had previously worked with Fargo at a small video game developer called Boone Corporation. The first projects were non-original and consisted of software conversions and even some military work for Loral Corporation. After negotiations with Activision, Interplay entered a $100,000 contract to produce three illustrated text adventures for them. Published in 1984, Mindshadow is loosely based on Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity while The Tracer Sanction puts the player in the role of an interplanetary secret agent. Borrowed Time which features a script by Arnie Katz' Subway Software followed in 1985. These adventures built upon work previously done by Fargo: his first game was the 1981 published Demon's Forge.

Interplay's parser was developed by Fargo and an associate and in one version understands about 250 nouns and 200 verbs as well as prepositions and indirect objects. In 1986, Tass Times in Tonetown followed. Interplay made a name for itself as a quality developer of role-playing video games with the three-part series The Bard's Tale (1985–1988), critically acclaimed Wasteland (1988) and Dragon Wars (1989). All of them were published by Electronic Arts.

Interplay started publishing its own games, starting with Neuromancer and Battle Chess, in 1988, and then moved on to publish and distribute games from other companies, while continuing internal game development. In 1995, Interplay published the hit game Descent, developed by startup Parallax Software. Interplay published several Star Trek video games, including Star Trek: 25th Anniversary for computers and for Nintendo and Star Trek: Judgment Rites. These games had later CD-ROM editions released with the original Star Trek cast providing voices. Interplay also published Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy games, and Starfleet Command series, beginning with Star Trek: Starfleet Command. Another game, Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury, was in development in the late 1990s but was never completed and much of its staff laid off due to budgetary cuts prompted by various factors. In 1995, after several years of delays, Interplay finally published its role-playing game Stonekeep. Other PC games released during the mid-to-late 90s games included Carmageddon, Fragile Allegiance, Hardwar and Redneck Rampage.

In 1997, Interplay developed and released Fallout, a successful and critically acclaimed role-playing video game set in a retro-futuristic post-apocalyptic setting. Black Isle Studios, a newly created in-house developer, followed with the sequel, Fallout 2, in 1998. Another successful subsequent Interplay franchise was Baldur's Gate, a Dungeons & Dragons game that was developed by BioWare and which spawned a successful expansion, sequel and spin-off series. The spin-off series started with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance; the game's success forged a sequel as well. Aside from Dark Alliance, Interplay published a few notable console series such as Loaded and the fighting game series ClayFighter and the games by Shiny Entertainment, Murder Death Kill and Wild 9. Its successful Black Isle-made games included Planescape: Torment and the Icewind Dale series.

When Fargo has his poo poo together it works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

awesomepanda posted:

The question "What is one life worth" while profound doesnt affect me as much as "what can change the nature of a man".
If you read that line cold without having played PS:T I doubt it would have 'affected' you at all...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

I think Nostalgia will draw a lot of people, but not as many, because of Obsidian having Eternity with all of its potentially overlapping expectations as far as story and interactivity and what have you.
If it turns out that the only venue for these historically loved games is kickstarter and/or direct contact with the designers then the people that enjoy them will purchase them even if there are concurrent projects. (Just like they do with the normal cost-inflated games every other year.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

Now, when he then tries to revive the Magic Candle, Questron, and Ishar franchises, we can worry.
No way I would totally play Questron or Phantasie. :colbert:

J.R.R. Trollkin is disappointed in your lack of fervor.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Well, Phantasie V is apparently happening down the line
:psyduck:

I never even knew there was a IV. I am a failure.

edit: Oh. Japan only I'm off the hook.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 26, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Adraeus posted:

No, I think they should get rid of the subtitle. It's too late to complain about the name of the setting, so I won't.
They have not claimed its a 'reboot' in the way you implied. TNO 'happened' (they have the rights to the characters I believe). T:ToN is it is another game set in a different 'reality' from PS:T and the name suggests:

1) It is a Torment game (that is how they are moving forward with the branding)
2) It is attached to Numenera
3) The Tides (meta-idea and game mechanic) will be a part of the game experience

"Torment: [TITLE]" is a perfectly fine way to start a new (hopefully) successful and ongoing line of stories.

(Maybe we can call the original game "Torment: The Nameless One" (or whatever) if Torment actually becomes a series.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

The_Frag_Man posted:

The first game is actually "Planescape: Torment", I think.
Yes. I meant in the theoretical long-run where theres 10 titles that all follow a naming convention of "Torment: [title]" that there would still be a way to placate the most OCD among us. :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Adraeus posted:

They've attached Planescape: Torment to everything they've communicated about the game. The message is clear: "Fans of Planescape: Torment, Torment is back!" They're most definitely billing Torment as a reboot.
No, you have decided that you will claim it is a "reboot" because you have some fixation on the idea. This is not a replay of The Nameless One. It is not Battlestar literally rewritten with Starbuck and Adama present.

They are using "Torment" as their property. In the future they could easily use the thematic premise of Torment and set it in it Grimjacks Cynosure (which is also similar to Sigil), Dantes Inferno, some kind of Dr Who knockoff, or any number of settings. As long as the writing and games succeed, and they maintain control over the Torment concept, they are not stuck with anything.

Adraeus posted:

Torment is not "attached" to Numenera; it is Numenera.
That is just an idea you are creating and pushing so that you can shovel on your "reboot" argument because you have some problem with the name.

quote:

Torment: Tides of Numenera™ continues the thematic legacy of the critically acclaimed Planescape: Torment™. Set in Monte Cook's new tabletop role-playing world, Numenera™, the newest Torment asks: What does one life matter?
"Torment" is the thematic root of the games. This one is set in Numenera.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Theyre being pretty quick about responding and editing ideas over here: https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/194582-announcements-community-faq regarding ideas for the kickstarter and post-kickstarter add-on options.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Noricae posted:

(Planescape ... played fast & lose with 3.0 mechanics)
Planescape was 2nd ed. It was long before WotC/Hasbro had anything to do with DnD.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
They've laid out the prospective pledge tiers: https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/196241-pledge-tiers

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Wow the physical tiers are almost wiped out inside of day 1.

Any chance you guys will expand the available counts for the post-$95 ones?

Boogle posted:

If you're not going to play it just read the Let's Play at the LP archive.
Yeah that was well done. Out of the ones I have read I would put the PS:T thread and the 'A Scotsman in Egypt' R:TW LPs as two of the best ever.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well part of the problem is that its just not a very popular setting for the reason of it being that if I didn't actually know it had the D&D name on it the last thing I would associate it with is Dungeons and Dragons.
It was from the TSR 2e era. Its faded from awareness since WotC squelched it and wont release the rights to anyone for any reason.

This project was probably the best thing that could have happened for Numenera. If Torment is as good as I hope it is, it might prod me to give Numenara a shot on its own. (And I have pretty much given up on dumping money into RPGs at all these days.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Yip Yip

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
For the people that dropped more than $100 for the physical tiers they should throw all of the digital novellas in just because.

quote:

Project Update #3: Updated our Journal for the 3rd Time: Video on Themes, New True Believer Tier Coming, Strategy Guide, More Stretch Goals, PayPal

Torment Video Series Begins

Here is Colin to introduce to you the series of videos we’ve prepared to give you more information about Torment as well as meet many of our talented team (the “talented” part comes with the second video – Colin is exempt from that adjective). Colin will explain more about what we have planned for you over the coming weeks and will also talk more about Torment’s themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-aVZ_QaSc

Digital Strategy Guide Added to $28+ Tiers

We will create a digital strategy guide for Torment, and this reward will be added to all Tiers $28 or higher (But there is no $28 Tier, you say? Read on! =) ). The digital strategy guide is also available as an add-on for $7.

New True Believer Tier Coming!

Tomorrow, March 8th at 1 PM PST, we will be opening up a new $28 True Believer Tier. Our initial $20 Tier sold out more quickly than we expected, which meant that many people missed out on the opportunity to be a True Believer of Torment. Some of our international audience, as well as those who wanted to pay with Pay Pal had no such opportunity.

This Tier will include the following:
1. DRM-free Digital Game (PC, Mac, or Linux)
2. Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective
3. Access to the Official Torment Community
4. Digital Strategy Guide
5. Digital copy of Colin McComb’s novella (not the entire Novella Compilation)

This new True Believe Tier will be limited to 20,000 backers. It will also be available through Pay Pal until it sells out on Kickstarter. Of course, $20 True Believers, and those who joined us “late” at $25 can change to this Tier as well, gaining the digital strategy guide and Colin’s novella.

Out of fairness to our $35 and $45 Tier backers, we will add Colin’s novella to these Tiers as well. We aren’t adding anything else extra to the $50 and higher Tiers at this time, but hope that Nathan’s novella and the additional novellas we hope to add to the compilation, plus the strategy guide, compensate for Colin’s novella being given out to the $28 and $35 Tiers.
More Stretch Goals

(See the bottom of this Update for the new Stretch Goal table.)

We reached our $1.5m Stretch Goal soon after I sent out Update 2 last night, which means that Mur and Tony both join our writing team. We’ve received requests for a little more detail in terms of how we’ll be expanding the game as we surpass various Stretch Goals, so we want to further define the impact of adding these writers by noting that a new area, the Crystal Dimension, will also be added to the game due to reaching this milestone. Here’s a brief description:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.

$2.0 Million: Monte Writes, Mark Composes, Ruins of Ossiphagan, and Goo Oozes, +2 Novellas

In my fatigued state last night, I forgot to mention that at this Stretch Goal, Mur and Tony will each also be writing novellas that will be added to the compilation for all Tiers that receive it (or for those who purchase it as an add-on). Also, at the $2m mark, we will be adding the Ruins of Ossiphagan to the game:

The erupting volcanoes and surging lava fill the air with acrid smoke and choking fumes. The bones of an enormous beast lie sprawled across the obsidian fields, its ribs splayed open as if it had been torn open by some unimaginable predator. The ossified bones have been hollowed out as homes by some intrepid or foolish citizens, and the wind howls through the openings in a mournful whistle like a giant flute. In the wastes beyond, creatures of flame and focused minds trawl the lava and skim its valuable nutrients.

Also, as a surprise edition to all (including our dear colleague Colin who is learning about this commitment right now as you are) after the Kickstarter ends, Colin’s going to be doing a play through of Planescape: Torment for you all, providing his developer commentary as he goes. Which areas and characters did he write? And what was he thinking when he wrote them? How fast of a reader is he? Does he have anything good to say about the combat? What is his answer to the question: “What can change the nature of a man?” Learn all of this and more!

$2.5 Million: George Ziets, Death Mechanics – The Castoff’s Labyrinth, Monte’s Novella, New Companion, Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

Ziets!

We are thrilled to announce that George will be joining Torment as a writer at this Stretch Goal. This is a personally meaningful addition to me. You may know George from his role as Creative Lead on Mask of the Betrayer, where he led the story and character design for the game. Working on that game was one of the highlights of my career and I have George to thank for much of that. His creative aesthetics are perfect for the themes we are exploring in Torment and I’m very much looking forward to collaborating with George again.

New Novella

Monte will be writing a Torment novella at this mark as well. For a sample of Monte’s creative writing for Numenera, you might check out his short story, The Amber Monolith. http://www.numenera.com/the-amber-monolith/

Companion

This Stretch Goal will also bring the 6th companion. Some noted to us that maybe I said too much in describing “The Toy” in Update 2, so we’ll leave this one mysterious for now.

Castoff's Labyrinth

We’ll also be adding the Castoff’s Labyrinth, an area that will play into our treatment of death in Torment at $2.5M. Expanding upon this “labyrinth of the mind” will also serve as an ongoing Stretch Goal for us from this point on. We’ll be providing more detail about this area, and Death Mechanics soon, but here’s a piece that Colin wrote describing it:

"Death is the end. That's what they say. But that's not entirely true, is it? When Death crashes over you like a looming wave, you don't die. Your body knits up fast and your eyes stare off. You move and twitch. So what is it you're seeing? Where do you go when you die?"

When you open your eyes, you're in a chamber with four... no, six... make it five walls. Call it five. It's almost definitely five walls. Each of them has a door of different material, each of them wavers before you, but they become more distinct the closer you approach. The chamber is dark and dripping, a faint tremor like a slow pulse shaking the floor on a long timeline. You put your hand to the door and it opens for you, and before you lies a crumbling stone walkway over fathomless mists. You can see no roof above you, nor stars nor moon. The mists curl and lap at your feet, broken occasionally by stray eddies of wind.

There is a feeling of recognition deep inside you. You know this place. And ahead, across the span, you see a familiar face.

"What are you doing here?" you ask

"You're dead," she says. "What I mean is that you're not dead. You're coming back to life. And now you've got fragments of us in your head. Every time you take our suffering, we get stronger. In here, I mean. But if you want to come back to the world, you need to find your way out of here."

Colin's Apology (Part 1)

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years but his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.
PayPal Ready

Finally, we launched the PayPal store earlier today. You can reach it through clicking “Pledge” at tormentrpg.com. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your time and support! Hope you are all having a terrific day. See you again soon!

Kevin

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 8, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Unless I'm misreading we do get them all?
Oh, I might have gotten confused in the "True Believer" section...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
If i skip past specific things I would want to complain about, NWN2 on the whole was a good game.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBc842j4vpU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AbsolutelySane posted:

Neverwinter Nights ... the fan created stuff ranged from godawful to absolutely awesome. ... if you never visited the NWNVault, then you missed the best part of NWN. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of horrible fan modules, but some of the best were truly brilliant and a few of those creators found jobs in the games industry.
Yeah. NWN1 was one of the only things that ever got me to play a game online much (not counting 'vs' games like starcraft).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

Also I just looked up the "Wizards of the Coast licensing Planescape" thing, and it sounds like they are willing to license it, but not to Brian Fargo. Or Colin McComb. Clearly they are waiting for Electronic Arts to propose a first-person Call of Duty/Planescape crossover game.
They undoubtedly want a disposable collectable game line to go with their disposable card and book lines.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sober posted:

I'm curious if "Torment" were to becoming a thing like -Shock games became a sort of structuralized thing you can work around?
They've all but said this is the case.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The new $28 dollar tier is live if anyone wanted that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

I don't think it does. If I wrote a book I'm probably not going to want to read someone else's rewrite of my book. It has nothing about the quality of their book, just that I have no desire to read something pretty drat similar to what I've already written.
I think he meant the "and enjoyed it" part.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
New tier charts (they're not on the ks page yet):

And the new stretch goal:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
There is one $125 spot (digital) left as of ... now. :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

GetWellGamers posted:

Hmm... i wonder if they're not spreading their stretch goal tiers a little wide. Half a million a go i a *big* gap, and I remember with P:E there was a lot of excitement because every 100K brought, at the least, a new level in the endless dungeon, and then "major" additions were every 2-300K at most. Plus you could get levels from the facebook likes, and the overall effect was one of constant momentum-building because you'd get something new and exciting o a very frequent basis.

Obviously they're doing okay now, but I think it might hurt them in the middle stretch when people check for three or four days in a row, see they're still 250K from the next goal, and go "welp, they've plateaued, no reason to go any further..."
I'm guessing that Inxile was already more "all in" on making a pretty full game. Remember poor Obsidian wasnt even sure they would make their initial goal at all.

Heres the 3mill stretch:

quote:

More Legacies, Deeper and Richer Reactivity

We’ve told you a little about the Tides and Legacies already – they are a key component of three of our four pillars, and at $3M we’ll be expanding their impact, especially with respect to our fourth pillar: “Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences.” In the upcoming days and weeks, we’ll be elaborating more on the design of the Tides and the Legacy System, but for now I’d like to explain a bit more about how these two concepts relate to each other.

Given that Legacy is the primary theme of Torment, you can imagine that its effects will run deep. Your Legacy depends upon which of the five Tides you favor – as demonstrated through your actions and decisions within the game. At our target funding, we envisioned six Legacies: one for each Tide, and then a sixth for those who have no dominant Tide. Your Legacy (and the Tides) has a variety of impacts on both gameplay and on interactions in dialogue. For example, certain items will provide different abilities depending upon your Legacy, and your Legacy also affects what focus you master. Your Legacy might draw others to you, or make them wary of you. As your actions affect the Tides, you can choose to adopt a new Legacy and embrace your decisions or you can resist their pull – for a while, at least. Some NPCs and creatures will notice and react to the Tidal impact on your Legacy, with some reacting favorably and others... not so much.

Six Legacies yields a lot of potential for reactivity and choices and consequences. But at this Stretch Goal, we take the system much further. Instead of depending only upon one Tide, your Legacy will be based upon your strongest TWO. This increases the number of Legacies to 11 (ten possible pairs, plus an eleventh for when no two reign supreme). By almost doubling the number of Legacies, we unlock many more options for gameplay and opportunities for the world and its people to respond to your choices. Your Legacy can change throughout the game, and doubling the number of Legacies doesn’t double the gameplay time. But it does have a tremendous impact on how reactive and replayable Torment will be. That makes this game a deeper, richer experience and provides you with a host more options to consider and explore as you seek your answer to Torment’s core question. Naturally, this also means that we’ll be creating even more cool, unique items and effects that respond specifically to the paths you’ve chosen.

Cults

We love you all, but it is our responsibility to torment you; that’s why you’re here in the first place. When we reach this Stretch Goal, we will add Cults to bring a little nastiness to your life. Like factions (which we had planned as our initial funding level and will discuss more later), these groups have their own interests, loyalties, and goals. Unlike factions, cults are antagonistic, roving enemies who pick up and move as they will, as the winds blow them, or as rumors of powers, enemies, or wealth summon them. Are they all being manipulated by a shadowy enemy? They might be! They might be entirely disconnected!

Should any of these cults discover who you really are, they'll seek you in accordance with their own principles. But perhaps if you are clever enough, you can discover how to manipulate them to your advantage... and you might need to, if they all descend upon you at once. They will use you as a pawn against the others, and your goals may occasionally align with theirs, with quests and opportunities potentially opening as you interact with them. Make no mistake: they are inexorably opposed to you and your ilk. But if you are persistent, sly, and creative, you might find a way to turn their strengths into yours.

We’ll begin with the following two Cults:

The Children of the Endless Gate: Death worshippers, some call them. They prefer to think of themselves as spirits trapped in flesh, and the horror of their cage pushes them to atrocity. They call themselves liberators and agents of freedom, and when they hunt the slums of the cities they leave no evidence of their passing but a tracery in blood, an ever-wet gate to a realm of pure spirit... and horror.

The Order of Flagellants and Austerities: Once a hermetic and monkish offshoot of the Order of Truth, the so-called Scourges became a mendicant order and set out into the world with the appointment of a new leader a century ago. They are a missionary sect, devoted to cleansing the world of its many sins... among which are a reliance on the numenera, of using powers not rightfully granted with birth, and of pollution of the flesh with extravagances and constructs. A single Scourge alone is no threat, for they act only in communion with their brethren. But a group of them? They feed on the rage of their kin, borrowing strength of will and thew, and run berserk if they are not stopped, laying bare the bones of those who oppose them.

Companion #7

We’ll add another surprise companion, bringing the total to 7. You want blood? You’ve got it.

I hope they get this one. Expanding the Legacies and bringing in the Cults sounds great.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 9, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/19/publishers-wanted-obsidian-to-use-kickstarter/

quote:

According to Obsidian Entertainment, the developer behind the Kickstarter smash success Project Eternity, publishers approached the developer prior to the Kickstarter asking them to do crowd-fund on their behalf.

“We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter,” Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart revealed in a Q&A on the Project Eternity Kickstarter page. “I said to them ‘So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don’t get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.’ They said, ‘Yes’.”

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Dont waste time with joke goals. More game instead!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

fermun posted:

It's not just that people are backing with more money, there's a lot of backers too, more backers than Project Eternity even. It's still a bit surprising to me how people didn't seem to mind that Wasteland 2 isn't out to show what inXile can do.
Fargos history combined with that play demo are pretty reassuring.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

01011001 posted:

I've bet 20 bones on worse, to be perfectly honest.
I think this is an important point in most of these ks threads. People burn through more than that drinking bottom-dweller beer at dive bars on off nights. Then they are really concerned about these games not being good enough for their refined standards. :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

P:T did a really good job of using voice-acting sparingly
IgnussSS hEearrsS you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zurai posted:

Planescape has some of my favorite voice acting clips anywhere. Part of that is the Planescape flavor, but to this day I'll still sometimes reference things like, "There cannot BE two skies!" or, "Justice is NOT blind; I am Her eyes."

It didn't have a lot of voice acting, but what it had was used very well in general. I'd be ecstatic if TToN did the same.
I just assumed from the beginning that we would get little "character trademark" clips for player-NPCs and important world-NPCs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

~ didnt read the thread at all ~

the black husserl posted:

Is reading threads going out of style or something? I'm noticing this poo poo a lot recently.

Drifter posted:

If you read the thread you'd save us the time of having to find quotes from 15 pages back in order to answer you.

Sir_Seth - connect the dots.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Brian Fargo helped get Wasteland, Bards Tale, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment created before the big Interplay/Titus fiasco.

His credibility is better than yours.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Someone should modernize this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bard%27s_Tale_Construction_Set

It would easily run on modern phones.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

Whatever 'help' he supposedly gave must've been pretty minimal since he's not listed any where in the credits for Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.

e: source http://allgame.com/
This isnt D+D so I wont do a real effortpost about it but youre trolling or youre lazy.

quote:

In 1983, Fargo founded Interplay Productions

quote:

One of the most successful groups within Interplay was formed during this period, Black Isle.

... developed for Interplay, through the Black Isle division, was Baldur's Gate, which proved to be a big hit, followed by others, such as Icewind Dale and the critically acclaimed Planescape: Torment. ...Black Isle's celebrated Fallout, which took some inspiration from Wasteland but was unique in its own right, was a personal project of Fargo, who served as its executive producer and was involved in setting the tone and sensibilities of the game.

Chris Avellone himself made a loving video recently trying to get people like you to shut up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

Heck, they couldn't even bother making their own engine for Wasteland 2, they just said gently caress it and went right to Unity.
Read the thread.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, nobody played Diablo 2 in multiplayer...

I didn't enjoy [Baldur's Gate] as much in singleplayer.
1) Diablo by comparison was an unchanging story-less grind.

2) Youre in small company around here I think. :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

the black husserl posted:

He was totally right: if you're the DM, own that table son. Don't let some prissy elf player try to let a book lord over you. Elf-seeking rock falls, all elves die.
Yeah, until SA I had no idea there were people actually angry about that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

antidote posted:

Hahahahaha what the gently caress
The Obsidian thread had one of those people too. Meh.

• Locked thread