Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not sure female rogues really needed the ability to "vomit caustic bile all over everything you ever loved", but thanks to the sidebar on page 118, that ability both got us into a lot of trouble with the local government and out of a lot of trouble with the BBEG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Since you brought them up, did anyone else have trouble with the J'ockk "Cram into Recepticle" ability being just too powerful? I mean, I tried to telegraph that this was something it could do better, but it was just an unending TPK every time I used a J'ockk, so I wound up just ignoring that it was in there.

For my group, the problem was the "Destroy Books" ability. The guys playing wizards could never figure out the improvisation rules for casting without your spellbook in hand, which to this day we're sure was intentional. Seriously, I brought this thread up and they were like, "God, gently caress that game. Remember when we went into the Sweat-Caves of Pump'ahn-i-rone? I could cast maybe one spell before we had to go back to town and get new spellbooks."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ettin posted:

...Arcane Incubation is the one that lets sorceresses get pregnant and still look "sensual"...

Discussing this was the worst time to learn one of my group had a pregnancy fetish... :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There's a good time to learn one of your group has a pregnancy fetish?

There are better times, but, in general... No.

Mikan posted:

I can confirm this one; the rules for casting without a spellbook don't work, and if you look at the first letter of each sentence there is a fairly insulting message about keeping your spellbook safe.

Mother fucker.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rexides posted:

Ok, I really need some clarification here because it appears that my group has apparently been playing a different game than the rest of you. Due to water appearing in the Dangerous Substances table with the "drowning" condition, the Merfolk statblock mentioning that they are immune to water, and the thirst rules saying that a character has to drink often but not specifying that he has to drink water, our QM assumed that water in Dragynrealm was poisonous, the bread and water package was an assassination kit, and people only drank milk, juice or alcohol. And of course, since you can't keep milk or juice from going bad after a few days, any significant dungeon delve ended up with the party trying to fight against a Crocolitch or an Ancient Kobold Lord while completely inebriated. Was the water safe to drink after all?

It varies from group to group. A straightforward interpretation of the rules places most groups firmly in your camp, but some of the QMs that weren't afraid of/fellating Quigley said that was stupid and of course water was safe to drink. Quigley himself never said, since as was previously stated he had a fundamental objection to errata. Some QMs split the difference and had the water be poisonous, but let any caster with a Nature Deity or Water Deity Improvement purify water.

My group's QM was one of those, and we happened to get in major trouble with the brewing guild of a major city by going around offering people clean drinking water. Which in turn led to getting in trouble with the government because of the "vomit caustic bile" shenanigans I mentioned previously.

e: Also, I just remembered a trick you could pull. A High Halfling caster with the right Improvement (I forget what it was called. Festive something? There were like a dozen that started with that, though.) could turn inebriation penalties into bonuses. Mostly to THACOG, but a few were useful in combat. Although it was unclear whether the penalties disappeared, or the bonuses were just added on and yo ustill had the penalties.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That explains the large variety of dreamweed available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There is actually a way to get Calamitous Cutlery Juggling, but, like all good things in Quest Squires, it requires some close reading and appropriate actions. I did this myself for our second run-through after Dapthogg wiped our first party.

The keys lie in the description of CCJ, as well as module Q-17: Into The Pantry of Peril. Which, by the way, served as the introduction to the excellent five-module 'food arc', although as you can see, not many groups made it past Dapthogg to face the ultimate machinations of the P'edragann and its plan to inundate the Dragynrealm in the diabolical chili con flagration. My group managed to get all the way (At no small cost), and the chili recipe to be prepared and served during the final boss battle insured the group had tears in their eyes for the climactic sacrifice scene, and gave the fight itself some marvelous urgency due to the QM's notes banning any milk products from the house. My QM still keeps his milk in the garage.

At any rate, CCJ states that you may wield not just any knife or dagger, but any fork or spoon as well. Alone, this doesn't mean much, as forks come to the same problem that bladed weapons do (although their damage may be mitigated by fine silk gloves, leading to much fewer deaths at fancy dress banquets), and spoons are sub-par weapons as listed on table 1-3: Miscellaneous Tavern Furnishings vs. Common Races.

However, in Module Q-17, the Dread Pantrate Roberts wields a unique weapon: The Ca'el Longspoon. The only problem is that when slain, the Dread Pantrate falls over the railing of his butter schooner, taking his equipment with him. This can be solved by the same trick as the cheese-which-shall-not-be-named, and having the guy that touches his spoon just drop it on the deck or hand it off to whoever wants it. You now have a weapon, doing marvelous damage and specifically described as a spoon. And since it's blunt, you can safely use it with CCJ without worrying about the gauntlets.

One small problem presents itself, but only for a moment. Since the Ca'el Longspoon is not on the equipment table, it seems at first that you can only have the one. However, Chapter 4 of the player's book states: "Merchants in many towns may sell and buy anything a Squire may have in his inventory." Since they buy anything, it's obvious they would then sell what they bought. So you simply take the spoon back to town, sell it, then buy as many as you can carry.