Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

The opposite of descend is "ascend! They "ascended" the staircase.

Yannow, the logical response to "how are they going to sneak around as roller coasters" is "they don't." Sneaking into a museum should've required them switch to their human forms and use their wits and mundane skills to win the day. That would've gotten us on the hero... er, protagonist... ...viewpoint characters' side, because then we'd see that they're not just the ostensible protagonists because they have sweet powers, but because they're brave enough to risk themselves to accomplish their goals, even without sweet powers backing them up.

But no, being a roller coaster is unanimously superior to not being a roller coaster. Freeze breath and gecko toes ensue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

We're seriously only a third of the way through the book? ... You know, I'm gonna be honest, I was actually kind of afraid we were near the end. Because this has been a gloriously incomprehensible descent into madness so far.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Maybe coasters that are destroyed by natural causes (i.e. tornadoes, hurricanes, floods) or abandoned count as "vandalized" for the purposes of making crazies? I'm thinking about abandoned amusement park photos here.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I wonder if the sword has "useful secrets" because Leek wants to keep the deus ex machina a surprise, or because she literally had no idea what the sword was going to do and was gonna save it for the next time she couldn't think of a way for Railrunner to get out of trouble.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Hell, most FPSes don't have enemies this flat-out unequivocally okay to slaughter, or if they are, they're demons or undead monsters. It's kind of disconcerting here.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

From my admittedly/thankfully? limited exposure to pregnancy fetishism, methods of getting pregnant that don't involve sex are pretty common. Maybe she's fixated on/fetishized the idea of pregnancy but finds actual sex intimidating or unpleasant.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I'd ask "why three days exactly and always?" but really, all the roller coasters are virtually clones other than color and detailing, so naturally they have identical responses to poison.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

alcharagia posted:

What, but

That's a Twitter post, not a chapter of a book

John Dies at the End has a chapter that's similarly short--21 words or so--and it's one of the most effective chapters in the book, purely for the sense of dread it builds.

Notably, it contains no complaints on the part of the protagonist about how much it sucks to be an immortal roller coaster that has made a multitude of very bad decisions.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Seriously, why the hell is the Amusement Park Between nothing like an amusement park and everything like a boring fantasy novel/Z-grade RPG. Just off the top of my head, here are five things that would make the Amusement Park Between less boring:

* The currency they use: tickets, the kind you get to attend rides or win prizes. Costs are horrendously and artificially inflated to ensure only the select few can afford decent stuff. See, see, it's both like an actual amusement park and also it's like satire!

* All the scenery is either obviously crappy and fake (like 2D, painted wooden "trees") or like it's airbrushed on the side of a carnival ride (distorted and amateurish or "side of a van" overblown and epic).

* Food is carnival/amusement park food--turkey legs, corn dogs, deep fried twinkies--which while incredibly unhealthy for humans is everything that a park ride needs to fuel up (because of all the calories you see). This may also be satire.

* Giant ominous roller coaster tracks everywhere. Roller coasters can use them to travel from place to place incredibly fast. This gives gives Ironwheel and his cronies a way to check up on his dominion and lay down the law, and also forces Ostensible Protagonist and Obi-Wan the choice between either traveling place to place rapidly at the risk of being caught, or laying low and traveling slowly at the risk of letting Ironwheel get away with his dastardly schemes. Note that Ironwheel will require dastardly schemes in the first place.

* Towns and buildings are all in the style of amusement park attractions, like haunted houses, petting zoos, and expo rooms for tiny local businesses.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Hey, people with vivid imaginations (unlike Leek)! Imagine what it would feel like to rest on your back when your back is a 30-foot-long series of hollow boxes filled with leather seats and your many arms and legs are jutting straight up into the air or draped over your cold metal body.

I would like to take a moment to compare Twisted to Nemo Ramjet and company's dinosaurids project. Look at the images, read the authors' comments, look at how hard they work trying to come up with a society and technology that fit the dromesaurid as a dromesaurid, not as a human with knifetoes. It's freaking amazing.

She really should just make roller coasters into standard-issue furry-style humanoids if she's going to write like they are. I mean, she just keeps ignoring those rear 3/4ths instead of integrating them into fights or body language or--

Oh Jesus Christ Thunderbark is just sitting in an easy chair in that picture isn't he. She literally just ignored the rear 3/4ths of him.

And I swear that writing is Covenant/Forerunner script from Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

"I'd like to be a steel coaster, light purple in color."
-"Sure thing, honey!"
"And I'd like to have free well and agency, too."
-"What's that, didn't hear you!" CHOMP

• Locked thread